• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you think it matters?

• The awards aren't chosen by Geoff, it should be allowed for DS to be nominated

Votes: 1,599 70.1%
  • Even if they're chosen by other people, it's not a good look and it shouldn't be nominated due to it

Votes: 681 29.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
It is fine. Though it surely won't win, so there won't be a problem. It is interesting enough that it deserves a courtesy nomination.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
When Geoff seriously started choking up about a guy getting fired from Konami is when I literally said I would never take this awards show seriously. And I have have. It never has deserved to be at any point either. Embarrassing show after embarrassing show. They try to make it better..and it now has literally just turned into the worldwide exclusive game commercial announcement show with awards on the side, many doors which are not televised.
i give Geoff Keighly credit for believeing in this show and putting it up again after the whole VGX fiasco.
I think his heart is in the right place. But we need a more impartial figure, with less ties to the industry. He's not just the host, he's basically the master and owner of the show.

(I edited my post with the correct date and the name of the game THat Dragon, Cancer, who won best Indie that year)

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
i give Geoff Keighly credit for believeing in this show and putting it up again after the whole VGX fiasco.
I think his heart is in the right place. But we need a more impartial figure, with less ties to the industry. He's not just the host, he's basically the master and owner of the show.
If his heart was in the right place he would stop hosting it and concentrate on making it more than an announcement drop show. Right now, it's probably his make source of income.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
I think it should be nominated, but I also think it's problematic and I'd rather we kept the press away from cameos, especially when awards are involved.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Let's be real here, there will be a ton of toxicity from both sides even if DS doesn't win.

Kojima and controversy are of the same strand, and plenty of gamers will trip over themselves to have a 'Gotcha' moment as soon as the GOTY is announced.

I agreed the TGA should reference the cameo at some point though, especially if DS takes the win.

Oh there will be toxicity either way but a DS win would inevitably embolden both sides of the ''''debate'''' and it'll last much longer than it would if any other game on the list were to win. Though I'm of the ilk who thinks the whole "salty haters eat crow," culture is still toxic despite being ''''positive''' so maybe my view on things is different to most.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is Geoff lobbying for Death Stranding to the voters?

Does he get a vote himself?

Is his addition to the game a ploy by Kojima to get some awards in his belt?

The answer for this three questions is most probably a no, so yeah, it's fine.

Elephant

Nov 2, 2017
Nottingham, UK
It certainly comes across as a conflict of interest, but fuck, it's the Game Awards so who gives a shit?

There should be no way that Death Stranding should win GOTY anyway considering how Marmite it is.

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
Geoff shouldnt have cameod, he should have thought that this would have resulted in such a line of thinking among some. He should think on that next time an opportunity arrives his way imo.

Also, Geoff doesn't choose the nominees and the advisory board has sony ms nintendo acti and others in it so if we went with kojima is in the board logic then we would have to start to question all games nominated that have been made by these big pubs but we all know people wont question those. Controversy always finds kojima.

Also Geoff intentionally removing a game that has been nominated by the board today just to avoid such a discussion would set a really bad precedent. He shouldn't have or be able to exercise such power.

Also people saying a more impartial figure should do the shows since Geoff has connections everywhere... Well even if he chose another host it wouldnt change anything regarding the narrative people are pitching here as in the end Geoff owns this. And these big pubs do reveals here coz Geoff is able to convince them to. Maintaining relation is everything in business otherwise we would have an award show where awards are given out but watched by no one coz who likes to just watch people getting awards for an hour? If you want the production values and the reveals which is what we the audience like to see the most ironically in an awards show then you cant have an impartial figure running it all. There's 100s of websites giving gotys and award shows as well but its pretty clear why game awards is the biggest there is.

OfficerRob

Oct 25, 2017
It would be s real bad look if the game awards were not alteady trash, so I just don't care very much

MAK11

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Fact is, and Geoff Keighley himself told this multiple times, the TGA are meant to promote the industry.

Not to reward the best games. Not to reward the better programmer. To promote the videogame industry as a whole.

What does promote the industry better?

- a japanese anime-inspired action game
- an indie puzzle-oriented space game
- a driving game
- a game with Guillermo Del Toro, Norman Reedus, Nicholas Refn and other Hollywood celebrities in it, directed by a man who was unjustly fired by his former corporation

The industry needs Death Stranding to get recognitio.
The industry needs a game directed by Roman Polanski
giphy.gif

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
I think the optics are amusing, and some reactionary types will rage about it. But does Geoff even vote for the awards? The whole thing is an absolute non-issue.

That said, given that he treats the VGAs like his baby, Geoff could have easily avoided any perception of taint by turning down the offer of a cameo. But that's something for him to worry about, because I couldn't give a shit.

Oct 26, 2017
Like, why do people CARE SO MUCH about some useless awards?

What are you guys winning or losing if your games are getting or not getting awards?

I can understand actual DEVELOPERS caring about awards but consumers? lol

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
I thought it missed the cutoff date too. I don't like it. I get it, Geoff and Kojima are buddies and he wants to celebrate the game, but this doesn't sit right with me.
The average person isn't going to know he didn't choose the nominations himself, and considering whatever circumstance that allows it to be eligible, I think it's a bad look.

I also don't like that people are sweeping this under the "Kojima hater" rug. i like Kojima, I like Keighley and I like Death Stranding. I still don't like this situation.

Last edited:

Good4Squat

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I don't think his friendship with Kojima and a small cameo in DS is enough to make it a conflict of interest.

Slim

Banned
Sep 24, 2018
C'mon now, it's not like he picks the nominees and winners all by himself

... or does he?

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
It's not Geoff's or Death Stranding's fault people make stupid assumptions.

So it's fine.

Oct 25, 2017
It's such a minor cameo that it's insignificant because he's not on the panel.

I can only assume that Death Stranding salt has become a part of life after the toxic shit fest of a dump that was the review thread and now the nominee thread.

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a terrible look and it totally ruins the already questionable reputation of The Game Awards. However, this is Geoff's fault instead of Kojima/Death Stranding, so the game has every right to compete in every category. He should have a) rejected the invitation to appear in it or b) he should have disclaimed he was in the game during the nominations. For people saying "he doesn't vote," we know. However, he is the host, producer and mastermind behind him, which doesn't stop him for lobbying here and there for his friend Kojima (remember that Alone Yet Not Alone controversy at the Oscars?)

Honestly there are films that feature critics in cameos or full blown roles and I wouldn't say they should be excluded from various awards so I dont see the issue plus yeah he doesn't decide.
Care to give an example of this?

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Ultimately people's experience with a game is what will matter most years from now when people look back on it, not some awards show that isn't trying to be anything other than a celebration of games. If DS does gets top awards then people will just shrug it off but also realise not to take this show too seriously if they hadn't already.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Ultimately people's experience with a game is what will matter most years from now when people look back on it, not some awards show that isn't trying to be anything other than a celebration of games. If DS does gets top awards then people will just shrug it off but also realise not to take this show too seriously if they hadn't already.

No really. If DS gets top awards that means people other than Geoff voted for it, so it doesn't affect the credibility of the show either way.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
the game awards never had any real critical prestige or credibility anyway, but i admire that ppl do care enough to address it.

i mean geoff does good work as an outward pr person for the industry so to speak, and a safe person/space for third parties to talk with in marketing their products, he is the doritos pope for a reason. and i don't think anyone expects full journalistic integrity here. because none existed with this endeavor in the first place.

game awards were always vessel for these companies to make announce/release trailers and inject/showcase their content into your eyeballs in the most positive (and safe) way possible.

Last edited:

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
I wouldn't say that the fact that Geoff is in the game is enough to prove a conflict of interest. However, that's not the only case of Geoff/The Game Awards showing some massive bias towards Kojima. I mean, The Game Awards was all up in the #fuckonami shit and wasn't it The Game Awards that gave Kojima an Industry Icon while Geoff was in tears declaring the man a genius of our time?

I mean, if the Oscars would dedicate pretty much an entire ceremony to some director and then go on to nominate his/her next film in every major award, they would get some massive side-eye too.

That said, this is The Game Awards and no one actually gives a shit about The Game Awards. It's just one big commercial.

Fact is, and Geoff Keighley himself told this multiple times, the TGA are meant to promote the industry.

Not to reward the best games. Not to reward the better programmer. To promote the videogame industry as a whole.

What does promote the industry better?

- a japanese anime-inspired action game
- an indie puzzle-oriented space game
- a driving game
- a game with Guillermo Del Toro, Norman Reedus, Nicholas Refn and other Hollywood celebrities in it, directed by a man who was unjustly fired by his former corporation

The industry needs Death Stranding to get recognitio.
That's nonsense. The game industry doesn't need a game that hinges on high-profile Hollywood/film people to get recognition. In fact, I would say the game industry is less interesting because of games like Death Stranding that try so very hard to deliver a cinematic experience, that try so very hard to be like a movie. Gaming has a chance to be a completely separate medium with its own faults and its own strengths, by saying 'to get recognition we need games with big Hollywood stars' you're basically saying that gaming as a medium isn't strong enough on it's own to be taken seriously.

Why is this obsession with being like film a thing in gaming anyway? Movies didn't get where they are now by paying lipservice to books, nobody ever said 'For films to be taken seriously, we have to hire novelists to write them' or 'We need to hire famous theatre actors and directors'. No, film got there on its own. Gaming should be able to get there on its own too. By constantly rewarding these 'cinematic' games and saying nonsense like we need those games to be taken seriously, we do the medium of games and the industry as a whole a disservice.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As he has no say in the nominations or the votes its confusing how it could be construed as a conflict of interest. It's one of the biggest releases of the year, of course it should show up in the nominations. There are so many embarrassing replies in this thread as people try to hide their salt. My personal favourite line or argument is the people oh so concerned for "the average person". The average person doesnt give a shit about it, most likely doesnt know who Geoff is or that he had a cameo in DS.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
My personal favourite line or argument is the people oh so concerned for "the average person". The average person doesnt give a shit about it, most likely doesnt know who Geoff is or that he had a cameo in DS.

Imagine the same argument at the Oscar's "it doesn't count because Avengers is more popular"

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
imagine watching the oscars or grammys mainly for new movie trailer drops or musical snippets or some shit. when it's put out like that, it's really all just frankly ridiculous hahaha.

just put it all up to a fan vote for nominating/winning and remove this charade or veneer of any real importance.

if they/geoff actually cared, they would make a public note of that conflict of interest, which is what would happen in any other field.

and this is important because he is the figurehead of the entire thing. he's not exactly playing the unbiased journalist role here.

that being said, i don't think there's anything wrong with it being nominated and i don't expect it to win simply because of that prior relationship with the game/kojima. but you still have to be upfront about that shit.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's nonsense. The game industry doesn't need a game that hinges on high-profile Hollywood/film people to get recognition. In fact, I would say the game industry is less interesting because of games like Death Stranding that try so very hard to deliver a cinematic experience, that try so very hard to be like a movie. Gaming has a chance to be a completely separate medium with its own faults and its own strengths, by saying 'to get recognition we need games with big Hollywood stars' you're basically saying that gaming as a medium isn't strong enough on it's own to be taken seriously.

Why is this obsession with being like film a thing in gaming anyway? Movies didn't get where they are now by paying lipservice to books, nobody ever said 'For films to be taken seriously, we have to hire novelists to write them' or 'We need to hire famous theatre actors and directors'. No, film got there on its own. Gaming should be able to get there on its own too. By constantly rewarding these 'cinematic' games and saying nonsense like we need those games to be taken seriously, we do the medium of games and the industry as a whole a disservice.
DS isn't trying to be a movie. Out of my 40 hours playtime I would say maybe 2 hours (at most) are spent watching cinematics. It's the most 'game-y' game Kojima has ever made, by a long shot.

What the hell does 'cinematic experience' even mean? You're gonna criticise the game because it has great cinematography and high production values?

Majora's Mask

Oct 26, 2017
How is it not disclosed? Millions of players have the game with him in it and the cameo was revealed in September at another show Geoff hosted
A quick google search shows that the 2018 event had 26.2 millions viewers. Would you say that all of them know that Geoff is in the game? I wouldn't. Not everybody is like you and me who post in a forum and follow gaming news pretty closely (at least in my case).

Did you also question potintial conflict of interest when VGA was getting bankrolled by the same companies that have games nominated, like... Pretty much every year? It's a commercial event made to make money, that's why the body organizing the event isn't involved in picking nominations or voting for winner, what's the difference between Geoff being in Death Stranding or Geoff show being openly bankrolled by Sony, Nintendo, Activation, etc... When they have games nominated every year?
No, because (and you can correct me if I'm wrong) no other game before has a cameo of the host/producer/ owner of the event.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I would say the game industry is less interesting because of games like Death Stranding that try so very hard to deliver a cinematic experience, that try so very hard to be like a movie.

I think we played very different games. I would not watch a movie that consisted of 40 hours of cross country orienteering.

Status
Not open for further replies.