• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I apologize if this thread was made in good faith, but this thread reads exactly like something that someone on some other shitty board would come here and make so that they could go back and high five their bros about what stupid SJWs we all are for agreeing with an absurd thread (which is obviously not what's happening itt)
This lol. I don't want to accuse OP of anything, but when I finished reading the OP that's the first thing that came to mind.

Vesper

Oct 28, 2017
Hand Waving: The Thread

Fucking gross how people immediately single out the one example they feel capable of defending and then add "but you're reaching OP lol" instead of stopping to discuss the issue as a whole

The issue here being the whitewashing of a character who was....white to begin with?

SuperBlank

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I apologize if this thread was made in good faith, but this thread reads exactly like something that someone on some other shitty board would come here and make so that they could go back and high five their bros about what stupid SJWs we all are for agreeing with an absurd thread (which is obviously not what's happening itt)
Honestly I came into this thread thinking it was that.

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
Dark skin as a shortcut for easily identifiable bad guy is a tired design trope. I wish it would die out.

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
What a fucking terrible thread.

"That's just a tan because she's a pirate and is outside all day"
  • Besides a complete failure at the understanding of biology (as no one that pale would have the melanin to get that dark), this argument doesn't work because of how dark her father is. Who you know is a king and thus spends all of his time inside.

I literally went to the beach a week ago for 6 days and got really really dark, how do you explain that?

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Becuase they're Heroes
How does one whitewash a character that has been depicted as white throughout multiple iterations for literal decades?

A lot of people were bothered that when Tetra became Zelda it wasn't just Tetra with a princess dress, and it's understandable, Tetra being represented as dark skinned most of the game had people disappointed that her skin bleached upon the reveal that she is Zelda.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
Sorry but you lost me at Dark Pit/Dark Link OP.

There's a compelling discussion to be had here with regards to Zelda and her father, but it's also worth mentioning that Zelda's "canonical" look (pale-skinned, blonde-haired young woman) greatly predates any depiction of her father.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
Talking about it to raise awareness/create discussion online seems like a good way to move forward.

There's a bunch of these threads. It would be good to see a letter of complaint and an official response. Putting that online would be interesting. Discussing the issue for the nth time on Era is all well and good but it's not going to do much unless a significant number of people boycott their products or start some sort of visible campaign.

NicknameMy

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
User Banned (2 Weeks): Dismissing Concerns on Racism; Inflammatory Generalizations
What I usually say to such topics:

The ones who try to find racism everywhere they go are most likely racist themself.

Wasn't there lately the thing with american natives and mr. game and watch which caused an outcry from non native americans and was totally fine by native americans themself, then being mad about that it got removed?

Pointing out racism in art is pointless, unless the goal of the art is to be racist.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017

Fucking gross how people immediately single out the one example they feel capable of defending and then add "but you're reaching OP lol" instead of stopping to discuss the issue as a whole
It's not just one thing being "defended" though and people saying they don't agree with the op IS discussing it.

I love how your go to example for "tans exist" is an anime lol
I mean the op is pretty much using anime style art as well lol.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Did Mexicans actually ever have a problem with this?
801.png

Nope.

Nephrahim

Jun 9, 2018
Outside of the Zelda example, which feels like a big reach, a lot of this definitely makes me think of things like "Evil Ryu" having dark skin. I bet I could find millions of games and anime that use this as a trope.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
There's a bunch of these threads. It would be good to see a letter of complaint and an official response. Putting that online would be interesting. Discussing the issue for the nth time on Era is all well and good but it's not going to do much unless a significant number of people boycott their products or start some sort of visible campaign.

How do you get a significant number of people to boycott without talking about the issue? It seems like you're just trying to shut down the thread with "go complain to nintendo and don't make threads about it in my forum". If you are not interested, you can ignore the thread.

OP
OP
Skittles

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Dark Pit's color palette in Ultimate is a reference to Magnus, a dusky-skinned character from Uprising and an ally of Pit's.

While there's valid criticism to be made in some cases, some of these examples are reaching like Stretch Armstrong. (Twintelle is 'hypersexualized'? Really?)

Her first reveal is a camera pan focused on her ass which is followed up by a front shot which slowly moves upwards (male gaze). Big tits and big ass with the camera oogling at her is hypersexualized. Not necessarily on the level of bayonetta but still.

Oct 25, 2017
What I usually say to such topics:

The ones who try to find racism everywhere they go are most likely racist themself.

Wasn't there lately the thing with american natives and mr. game and watch which caused an outcry from non native americans and was totally fine by native americans themself, then being mad about that it got removed?

Pointing out racism in art is pointless, unless the goal of the art is to be racist.

In a thread filled with some pretty stupid takes, imagine taking the cake with a take this fucking bad.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
No. But it's always funny for us seeing americans getting mad in our name lmao

Unless you're outright mocking our culture, most Mexicans are more than OK with other people having fun or enjoying our culture

To be fair I think most cultures are like that, except Americans who get offended on behalf of other cultures

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Tetra has a tan.
Elderly people having more tanned skin is a thing. The "Old Man" in BoTW isn't black.
Dark Link doesn't have a normal human skin tone and just represents darkness.
The Jynx and Kirby things are from the 90s.
Mario wearing a sombrero isn't racist and I'm pretty sure you are the first person I've ever seen complain about Twintelle

Noob Pilot

Jun 10, 2018
It's not a nintendo thing as much as a cultural difference thing. It's been a thing in a Japan for a long time now. These kind of things are also prevalent in Chinese media.

Racism against black folks is not much of an issue outside of America and UK you know. The rest of the world have their own racism problems too. There are genocides going on and this is just over reaching.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Is Zelda supposed to be White or is she Japanese?

I mean she looks white to me, but that brings up the point that just because Anime characters look white to white people doesn't mean they actually are.

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
The funniest thing about this one is, this dude's normal, german, caucasian ass form is still pretty fucking evil.

Ponchos and sombreros are the quintessential souvenir we sell to tourists in mexico, Mario being able to buy a poncho and a sombrero in a mexico inspired world is pretty damn accurate.
Yeah but it's still a good example of the trope considering only one version is supposed to have an obvious "evil" appearance.

I don't agree with a bunch of the OP other than that, though. Twintelle is rad.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm brown, I get what you're saying with the darker skin = bad trope but wtf does that have to do with Tetra? My sister is lighter skinned than me and darkens up like that under the sun easily...

Komali

Sep 25, 2018
I see more of an issue with the fact that a strong female character like Tetra has been reduced to a helpless princess. The last thing a Nintendo game needs.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Her first reveal is a camera pan focused on her ass which is followed up by a front shot which slowly moves upwards (male gaze). Big tits and big ass with the camera oogling at her is hypersexualized. Not necessarily on the level of bayonetta but still.

She's clearly meant to be an attractive woman yes.(she's a movie star it kinda comes with the territory usually.)

But how is that racist exactly?

yencid

Oct 27, 2017
Outside of the Zelda example, which feels like a big reach, a lot of this definitely makes me think of things like "Evil Ryu" having dark skin. I bet I could find millions of games and anime that use this as a trope.
This has nothing to do with race or racism and everything to do with light vs darkness and good vs evil and how to visually represent that.t

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Beyond all the examples in the OP, I was recently thinking of how Zelda has blonde-washed / aryanized their characters too. Link and Zelda used to be brown-red-haired in the NES games; nowadays they're invariably blonder than Marylin Monroe.

zelda2_conceptart_P9kmn.jpg

legend_of_zelda_conceptart_kFvSS.jpg

This is incidentally one of the reasons why Twilight Princess's designs are still among my favorite; it was the closest we got to reversing the trend in like two decades.

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Did Mexicans actually ever have a problem with this?
No one ever had a problem with Mario being depicted as a fatty italian
The point of pointing out Tetra is not just that it's a condemnation against non-white people, but dark skin period. The message is ultimately associating fairer skin with being a more pure person.
Or that pirates have tans.

I also read somewhere that dark skin in manga is often meant to represent people from outside the Kanto region, because countryside.

Oct 25, 2017
Zelda is always white.
Tetra turns into Zelda as a reveal like sheik in OoT and then turns back into Tetra in the end and stays as Tetra in the sequel.

Nephrahim

Jun 9, 2018
Is Zelda supposed to be White or is she Japanese?

I mean she looks white to me, but that brings up the point that just because Anime characters look white to white people doesn't mean they actually are.

I was also wondering about this!

I mean, I think she's an "Elf" which makes me think she should look like a Tolkien elf... which are definitely white looking in most media, but I'm more then willing to hear otherwise.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017

You don't know what hypersexualized means. That also has nothing to do with racism.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

There are multiple issues with the thread and people are discussing them. Not sure how your post is contributing more than they do.
So do I, but OP doesn't seem to be responding to normal logic lol
Yeah seems like it, sadly.

Observation Platform

Alt-Account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
This is one of the worst ban-bait threads I've seen in a while. Especially when we start to talk about racism in the yin-yang symbol, hypersexualised Twintelle, and fucking 'evil' Dark Pit. Are you serious?

The premise is sound and well understood by most so no dismissal or excuses here, but OP's arguments regarding colourisation and cel-shading are completely insane. There's got to be some projection going on here.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
I get what you're saying with the Zelda/Tetra stuff but half the King pictures look fairly light skinned besides the Minish Cap one. The BotW hooded shot looks like his face is dark from the hood with the light from below showing it lighter.

Status
Not open for further replies.