• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
For someone as pale as zelda to get that dark naturally? Nah.

Just google tans if you don't know what you are talking about lol

54a75ed05203c_-_elle-megan-tan-face-h.jpg

Spaltazar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Beyond all the examples in the OP, I was recently thinking of how Zelda has blonde-washed / aryanized their characters too. Link and Zelda used to be brown-red-haired in the NES games; nowadays they're invariably blonder than Marylin Monroe.

zelda2_conceptart_P9kmn.jpg

legend_of_zelda_conceptart_kFvSS.jpg

This is incidentally one of the reasons why Twilight Princess's designs are still among my favorite; it was the closest we got to reversing the trend in like two decades.

pink hair for link is better

Janna OP

Oct 25, 2017
youve reached so hard its come all the way back to form a perfect circle op

first time ive ever seen someone use dark link as an example of racism

LostSkullKid

Nov 27, 2017
The whole thing with Tetra "transforming" into Zelda never really made much sense to me. Like Sheik being a different "form" of Zelda makes sense cause it was an intentional disguise. Tetra on the other hand is just who Wind Waker's Zelda grew up to be. Like the game makes it seem less like Zelda and Tetra are the same person and more that Zelda's spirit is in Tetra's body and just happens to take over sometimes. Like the king should've just been like "you are actually the next in line to be the princess of Hyrule" and then gave her the dress instead of having Tetra basically just turning into a completely different person.

Chindogg

Oct 25, 2017
East Lansing, MI
For someone as pale as zelda to get that dark naturally? Nah.

Never seen Yamanba Japanese women?

They go from this:

japan_summer_girls.jpg

To this:

draft_lens9251401module82103801photo_1264848795ganguro_21.jpg

Without darkening makeup. Japanese tan exceptionally well and pale exceptionally well (helps that they also use lightening makeup as well as camera filters to look even lighter.)

Yes, a pale person depending on their genetic makeup can darken that much naturally. Especially if they're out on the open seas all day for months.

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
What I usually say to such topics:

The ones who try to find racism everywhere they go are most likely racist themself.

Wasn't there lately the thing with american natives and mr. game and watch which caused an outcry from non native americans and was totally fine by native americans themself, then being mad about that it got removed?

Pointing out racism in art is pointless, unless the goal of the art is to be racist.

I think this thread is full of reaches but "thinking something is racist makes you racist" is easily the coldest take.

Where are all these Native Americans that were mad Game And Watch's feather was removed?

Nephrahim

Jun 9, 2018
This has nothing to do with race or racism and everything to do with light vs darkness and good vs evil and how to visually represent that.t
I get that and agree with you. I don't think these concepts come from a racist place. I don't think Evil Ryu is supposed to be a different race than Ryu, obviously.

But when you represent your "Darkness and evil" with a skin color that real life people have in real life... I don't particularly like using the word "Problematic" but it fits pretty well here.

OP
OP
Skittles

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
I'm brown, I get what you're saying with the darker skin = bad trope but wtf does that have to do with Tetra? My sister is lighter skinned than me and darkens up like that under the sun easily...
The problem arises when her "tan" vanishes and then reappears in the span of about an hour
She's clearly meant to be an attractive woman yes.(she's a movie star it kinda comes with the territory usually.)

But how is that racist exactly?
Never said it was racist, just problematic. That yet another black woman is reduced to a sex object. There's also the problem of black people being reduced to the same 3 hair styles in games, but that's another thread.

halcali

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Hong Kong SAR
I'm not really interested in the race of imaginary characters in video games, but one thing that bothers me is when Black characters are "evil" versions of White characters.

Black = dark = evil
White = light = purity

I get it, but we're seeing skin tones based on societal race issues.

edit: ah, someone posted Rugal. yeah, that's what I mean. =p

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
This is the very definition of reaching. Sorry, I just dont think Nintendo are being racist with this.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Is Zelda supposed to be White or is she Japanese?

I mean she looks white to me, but that brings up the point that just because Anime characters look white to white people doesn't mean they actually are.

Characters from Japan are usually Asian unless stated otherwise. People calling them 'white' dont understand Japanese culture. Like Sailor Moon is Asian.

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
Tetra whitening when she transformed into Zelda does carry a lot of bad implications. And the general dark skin = evil trope is all around bad and needs to stop.

That being said, light skin people can totally tan to Tetra's colour. Skin colour isn't binary.

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
Chicago, IL
Agree with racial stereotypes in Smash, Donkey Kong, and Pokemon. There are threads discussing these issues already. These examples are really backwards and Nintendo should fix them.
Character getting a tan is not whitewashing though.

Observation Platform

Alt-Account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018

Her first reveal is a camera pan focused on her ass which is followed up by a front shot which slowly moves upwards (male gaze). Big tits and big ass with the camera oogling at her is hypersexualized. Not necessarily on the level of bayonetta but still.

OP, I don't want you to have a hemorrhage or anything, but what if I told you that women with 'big tits and big ass' are also present in the naturally occurring world?

Wait, I forgot. Cameras are only allowed to pan around skinny figures with no distinguishable features...

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but it's still a good example of the trope considering only one version is supposed to have an "evil" appearance.

Rugal is the main antagonist of the KOF series, his very first appearance he's a regular caucasian dude with a business like get up (See also: Geese Howard), his weird skin tones in later games are due to A) Orochi energy (KOF 95) or B) being brought back to life (KOF 98 and KOF 2002, in these his skin is dark grey), so no, the darker skin is not supposed to make him look "more evil" because if you're playing Capcom vs SNK (which those pictures come from) you already know Rugal is FUCKING EVIL, so yes, there is a problem with darkening the skin to indicate a character is evil, but my dude, Rugal is NOT a good example.

You could easily have gone with Violent Ken since his "evil" pallete is even in Smash ultimate.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
sun-tan-650x325.jpg

"People can't get tans this dark naturally, they don't know how biology works"

Seriously OP, are you trolling at this point?

Oct 27, 2017
Agree with racial stereotypes in Smash, Donkey Kong, and Pokemon. There are threads discussing these issues already. These examples are really backwards and Nintendo should fix them.
Character getting a tan is not whitewashing though.
Pokemon's Jynx was addressed and changed to purple YEARS ago. Like before G/S released outside of Japan. OP probably knew that though

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
As others have painstakingly pointing out, none of those examples are even remotely whitewashing. Also white people can tan, and they can tan dark, what a ridiculously bad take.

This feels like a piggy back off of something that legitimately looks like racial insensitivity with the DK and Punch-Out stuff in Smash Ultimate. But then wrapping that around some drug-induced musings that reach way too far.

nicolasacmf

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Can't help but feel like OP is arguing in bad faith. Tetra <-> Zelda is supposed to be a play on Sheik <-> Zelda, nothing else, there's nothing racial there, and bringing Dark Link and things from 20 years ago into the discussion really gives it away.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also I think they caught on Cia at least because like I said earlier in Hyrule Warriors Legends she turns good again but retains her dark complexion.

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What I usually say to such topics:

The ones who try to find racism everywhere they go are most likely racist themself.

Wasn't there lately the thing with american natives and mr. game and watch which caused an outcry from non native americans and was totally fine by native americans themself, then being mad about that it got removed?

Pointing out racism in art is pointless, unless the goal of the art is to be racist.
What the fuck is this post

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I'm not going to try to argue that there's absolutely nothing to the OP's case, but I will argue that there's so little to it that when cases of genuine racist intent come up later on this board people will cite topics like this to diminish them.

There is about a 0% chance that any part of the OP's examples were developers and designers specifically basing skin color on black people. The did not go 'Africans are bad so we will make bad Link have their skin color.' The examples are universally examples of the general 'white = light/day/good and black = dark/night/bad' which has existed for as long as we have had colored art. That doesn't make them ok, but it does make it the effect of long term cultural osmosis instead of any particular ill intent. We can have a topic or argument about how we need to kill this trope if we want to.

The exception is the Kirby boss which, even if not maybe knowingly based on a hateful image, is still based on a hateful image.

Also this is giving me serious deja vu. Did we have this exact topic a few months ago? Did I write this exact same post before?

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales

Her first reveal is a camera pan focused on her ass which is followed up by a front shot which slowly moves upwards (male gaze). Big tits and big ass with the camera oogling at her is hypersexualized. Not necessarily on the level of bayonetta but still.

That's just how they did the reveals of the first characters, all of the videos start at the back and then go to the front and pan up.

Unless I'm supposed to want to fuck the robot too.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
Honestly I would be elated if Mario wanted to don a cultural costume of my country. We get a lot less attention than sombreros and ponchos.

It's sort of like the people freaking out over that girl wearing a traditional Chinese dress to prom, but they asked people from China and they loved that their culture was reaching people outside of their world.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not really interested in the race of imaginary characters in video games, but one thing that bothers me is when Black characters are "evil" versions of White characters.

Black = dark = evil
White = light = purity

I get it, but we're seeing skin tones based on societal race issues.

edit: ah, someone posted Rugal. yeah, that's what I mean. =p
Do you get it though?
This dark=night=evil shit precedes the god damn colonies lol.

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
Most of these examples are reaches or flat out ridiculous but I think people are really bending over backwards to defend the Tetra/Zelda one.

Why can't a pretty princess be dark skinned?

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
The problem arises when her "tan" vanishes and then reappears in the span of about an hour
That transformation was tanned pirate Tetra magically changing into makeuped royalty sheltered Zelda that rarely left the castle to get any sun. Sure there's definitely issues with how she just becomes a damsel in distress after that but it doesn't really represent something racist to me but more of an actual class thing that makes sense for that world.

Baby Bird

Nov 5, 2017
While a few of those examples are worthwhile to discuss, Dark Link is quite the reach. The original Dark Link is supposed to be a like a shadow, but because Smash is cheap on the alternate costumes, they painted the entire costume of link dark gray instead. Dark Link's skin isn't even a color that happens in actual people.

Oct 27, 2017
Tell me more about the tan you can lose in the span of an hour and regain it the next
In a game where you make a castle appear from the sea by activating three switches and a talking boat. Come on.

You may have some good points, but you stick to terrible examples and you are clearly just defending your poor arguments, instead of explaining more about the things you wrote on the OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.