• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
My votes?

Melee on the Gamecube, and Socom 2 on the Playstation 2. They are both well known, and they don't have re-releases, so to play the game you need either an emulator or to get the actual game. It's really surprising, I thought the new "H Hour" game would kill off Socom 2's community but it's still alive as it ever was.

I was thinking, and I can't think of many other games that has a community this long-lasting.

Deleted member 1067

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It still blows my mind sony never recaptured the SOCOM style game market again. In the age of games as service and Rainbow Six blowing away expectations it's just weird sony basically destroyed that series like they did.

Kathiel Rayna

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Phantasy Star Online, fans keep it going and going and going and going with private server emulators and whatnot, and even add a ton of features not originally found in the original games.
Now that's dedication!
SOCOM 2 is definitely another one like PSO that keeps on going and going through the undying power of its fanbase.

Oct 25, 2017
Mario Kart Wii

Seriously can't believe a fake server for a proprietary console peaks at over 100 players daily!

3bb63da429.png

f091a2ef0f.png

6c71e35d69.png

Deleted member 1067

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also last I checked (a few years ago) you could still easily find DOOM deathmatch games online with a sourceport with networking features. Nigh 25 years going and still kicking, and with the way modding works these days the game will likely never die.

Oct 27, 2017
Black Ops 2 on WiiU is amazing, simply for the fact that you can still go on at virtually all times and find a match!

Guipradi

Nov 29, 2017
Ispagnia
Tony Hawk's fanbase just won't die. All thanks to the awesome THUG PRO mod for THUG2. I've played it a lot in my free time when I wanna space out, relax and let my muscle memory do the work. The mod is a big mash up of classical stages with an online component that's perfect. Even the mod devs play there some times.

Oct 25, 2017
Tony Hawk's fanbase just won't die. All thanks to the awesome THUG PRO mod for THUG2. I've played it a lot in my free time when I wanna space out, relax and let my muscle memory do the work. The mod is a big mash up of classical stages with an online component that's perfect. Even the mod devs play there some times.
Throw me a bone, I'd pay $500 for a good Tony Hawk game.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Any Rockstar titles, even though they began online with GTA IV. I'm sure there're still tons of people on IV and red dead redemption.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
EDIT: I can't read.

Remember when the original Xbox servers were shut down? With people trying to stay online on Halo as long as they could to keep the server alive? Crazy times.

Oct 28, 2017
My gf's bro was able to instantly find opponents in the PS3 version of Puyo Puyo Tetris in the late hours of New Years Eve. That was a little surprising to me.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Melee is the best example, it's a game from 2001 played on CRTs still running on Gamecubes / Wiis and still has tournaments that exceed 800 entrants.

Nintendo just sitting on a gold mine here.