• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 64002

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2020
Hey, Era I'm back with another thread to talk about some murky feelings I've been meaning to get off my chest.
As you know I made a massive thread that's still pinned about how poorly treated minorities on era are treated and the low key racism and bigotry that occurs on the site. Another thing that popped up in that thread is Era's obsession with brands and their loyalty drowning out voices that can directly relate to the topic at hand. We discussed how trans voices are shut down when it came to GTA5 but really the big issue is to me is that people want to cling to games like the last of us 2 and argue fiercely in favor of their game viewing their sole viewpoint as the only correct one.

This is a difficult habit to break and I find that a lot of the frustrations on the site has been linked to that on the gaming side. Now, as far as the general issue of the topic is that there is this idea that nobody is allowed to have opinions that detract from the main overall viewpoint that many users have agreed on.

This has lead to others criticizing people and jumping the gun on others when relevant information is brought to the topic at hand. You see this with game journalists with the myriad of Tlou2 threads that pop up and the outright venom folks have when some of the trans community speaks up over issues that they would be more knowledgeable of due to their own personal experience with the issue(the example here being with Lev who I feel isn't a very good addition to trans inclusivity when the problem is how harshly people deal with him in the game. This is in a long line of trans characters being mistreated in media and the lack of positive experiences makes this yet another soulless addition to the pile.) We can go further and talk about brand loyalty with excusing atrocities in favor of getting the next thing (this was especially apparent with the console thread about Uighurs being forced to produce more consoles.) Another example would be the Harry Potter game incident that has divided Era over whether they should give money to the game or not (you shouldn't) when the money directly lines the pocket of a hateful woman who thinks trans women aren't real women.

These are just one of many problems Era as a community faces on a daily basis and is exactly why I've decided to make another thread that directly tackles this issue.

I feel genuinely frustrated and I just want to vent I guess and hopefully foster a productive conversation when I genuinely feel like I don't want to post on the site(especially gaming side) because of how hostile folks can be when dealing with issues.

I will not be including links to examples this time around apologies.

Last edited:

theosmeo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
People get so defensive about their favorite big company that will never notice them, all because their game looks really pretty and internally justifies their purchase of an expensive piece of technology

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thats a very american thing to do. People defend companies like its their relatives.

Landford

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it's all over gaming as a culture; brand attachment is a serious problem and needs to be discussed and reprimanded.
What I said includes gaming culture. But its not exclusive to it. People make up reasons to not have to deal with the bad parts of companies they like.

Especially americans. Brands are baked in the culture.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
That Uncharted VA thread really opened my eyes on how far some are willing to go to defend their favorite company.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
People including all of us still purchase products knowing they are made by people who have literally been enslaved. People just don't care I guess.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Companies figure it out a long time ago that if you make people think that the brands are their friends than the people will buy more from the brands. so we end up with people defending like companies doing bullshit because they like their games or shit

Landford

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yes, I agree however the issue I feel supersedes America when you see similar things pop up in the UK as well.
In a way, everyone does it. There is no ethical comsuption under Capitalism, after all. But people will never change. Not even with egregious examples like the Cyberpunk 2077 problems. I even know someone who buys Apple products because they know Apple has slave labor.

Oct 27, 2017
I was very close to making a thread that would have asked if it was too late for Keanu Reeves to drop out of Cyberpunk because of differing moral and political leanings. I kept thinking, there are those times when problem individuals are written out and replaced, but I never see an individual actively remove themself from a problem game/developer.

I felt like that would be considered a big blow and get more journalistic and reader eyes on it from outside the industry.

But then I thought how the reactions would have gone and didn't bother. Yeah, I recognize the issue.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I was very close to making a thread that would have asked if it was too late for Keanu Reeves to drop out of Cyberpunk because of differing moral and political leanings. I kept thinking, there are those times when problem individuals are written out and replaced, but I never see an individual actively remove themself from a problem game/developer.

I felt like that would be considered a big blow and get more journalistic and reader eyes on it from outside the industry.

But then I thought how the reactions would have gone and didn't bother. Yeah, I recognize the issue.
Probably can't as part of some contract, contracts almost always favor the company versus the actor.

Landford

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I have faith that the game itself will be very progressive and inclusive, with some terrible misconceptions here and there. I think CDReds developers have their hearts in their right place. Witcher 3 is a very humane game.

But the company itself needs a major house cleaning, especially the marketing and social media people.

OP
OP

Deleted member 64002

Banned
Feb 19, 2020

I do believe you should make the thread if you feel that it needs to be discussed. This is the exact problem I was talking about where I'm often afraid to make posts or am frustrated by the repercussions. But you never know it might work out sometimes.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I think a big thing people need to accept is they will like games or brands that will upset people. I love Persona 5. I think it's a great RPG and I really enjoy everything about it. It's one of my favorite games. I'm also a queer dude who is very aware of the queerphobic content both in Persona 5 and Atlus games in general. I'm not gonna tell other queer people what to think, or that they're oversensitive or an idiot for disliking Atlus or Persona. I'm not going to pretend I've never bought games or supported companies with problematic content knowingly (though tbf with P5 I genuinely had no idea before purchasing), but I'll at least take it on the chin if someone levies complaints at those games or companies. It's okay for people to feel upset by these things. You don't need to rigorously defend them on a video game forum.

Deleted member 1003

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It would be amazing and awesome if Keanu Reeves publicly admonished CDPR for their statements and asked for his likeness to be removed.

Keanu seems far too reserved to do such a thing. CDPR will bank on his resurgence in popularity to sell their shitty game.

Oct 27, 2017
I do believe you should make the thread if you feel that it needs to be discussed. This is the exact problem I was talking about where I'm often afraid to make posts or am frustrated by the repercussions. But you never know it might work out sometimes.
Another issue I had was I'm assuming I know Keanu's moral views. I know he has good guy clout, but I never really know tbh.

Nov 4, 2017
People just seem to have no ability to entertain more than one thought about something. Uncharted 4 is an excellent game, casting a white American woman as a black South African character was a shitty thing to do. Neither fact negates or cancels out the other. I thoroughly enjoyed TLOU2, but
I totally get how Lev's gender being a spectacle in the game is a problematic. I'd love to see a spin off in the form of DLC or stand alone (like LL) which features Lev just being his kick ass self without his gender having to be a major plot point (if that's something trans people think would be good).
People just seem to lack the cognitive ability to accept that they like a thing, but it has problems that they should be aware of and take action if necessary. Our media and society just seems to encourage very polarised, simplistic views on things.

The Harry Potter game could be the best game ever; that doesn't cancel out out Rowling's bigotry. Honestly, I think the HP book series is a solid C+ at best (honestly it's derivative, repetitive and bland but whatever), but I absolutely LOVED the Cursed Child play and would have been interested in a HP RPG before. But I'm happy to never give Rowling another red cent if that's what the Trans community needs. I don't want to knowingly fund a bigot.

Edit: Put spoiler tags in, sorry.

Last edited:

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
As much as I enjoy TLoU as a series, I really wish there was at least one African American that wasn't brutally killed or met a tragic end. Maybe their next game will feature a prominent African American character that isn't killed but I feel like its noteworthy enough to mention.

Landford

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think a big thing people need to accept is they will like games or brands that will upset people. I love Persona 5. I think it's a great RPG and I really enjoy everything about it. It's one of my favorite games. I'm also a queer dude who is very aware of the queerphobic content both in Persona 5 and Atlus games in general. I'm not gonna tell other queer people what to think, or that they're oversensitive or an idiot for disliking Atlus or Persona. I'm not going to pretend I've never bought games or supported companies with problematic content knowingly (though tbf with P5 I genuinely had no idea before purchasing), but I'll at least take it on the chin if someone levies complaints at those games or companies. It's okay for people to feel upset by these things. You don't need to rigorously defend them on a video game forum.
I remember someone from the LGBTQ community complaining that Dave Chapelle threads shouldnt be made and he should be banned from Era. (That was in the aftermath of George Floyd murder and the video in question was a Chapelle video talking about the incident.). People called the user out because they were using a Persona 5 avatar. Which we all know is deeply problematic. The user defended Persona, because it was a series that was dear to them.

People use brands, media and products to fill certain parts of their personality. While everyone is subject to this, some people go the extra mile to defend their "Pieces" from any kind of criticism, because criticism to the brand is criticism of them. Its really hard to dissociate.

Thats the main reason why me and my girlfriend have such a healthy relationship. She tells me in a objective way things that are problematic, even if I'm incapable to see, and I tell her the same thing.

Oct 27, 2017
Companies have trained people to just accept the content they're offering without giving it a second thought, and worse, encourage people to integrate marketing and branding as part of their personality.

You can think TLOU2 have good gameplay elements while also criticize it for mishandling serious themes. You can enjoy Ghost of Tsushima artstyle while also commenting on how it spreads Imperialist views on Japan and the samurai. Being able to notice this, speaking up and have good discussions about it should be paramount to the advance of videogames as a medium.

Velg

Jan 6, 2018
Totally agree with the point but can we mark this for Last of us spoilers? I had something spoiled for me :(

Nov 4, 2017
What I hate most is the mental gymnastics to justify the corporate aplogism. Like the shit-eating "think of the Devs" rhetoric, or whataboutisms like "well you probably fund Nazis and bigots all the time without knowing". At least have the guts to admit that you care about your toys more than people. It's better to be an honest piece of shit I think.

Totally agree with the point but can we mark this for Last of us spoilers? I had something spoiled for me :(
Oops, that was probably me. I put some tags in.

Velg

Jan 6, 2018
What I hate most is the mental gymnastics to justify the corporate aplogism. Like the shit-eating "think of the Devs" rhetoric, or whataboutisms like "well you probably fund Nazis and bigots all the time without knowing". At least have the guts to admit that you care about your toys more than people. It's better to be an honest piece of shit I think.

Oops, that was probably me. I put some tags in.
Thank you 😊 Sorry didn't mean to distract, as you were

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'll speak up on a convo I had with another user on here as to a disappointment they had with Last of Us 2 that they didn't want to get jumped on in the main topic for it.

Basically how they felt betrayed by the character switch as for years they were excited to finally play an AAA title with a lesbian lead just to have her become a dual protagonist with a cis character who get the big set pieces and boss fights of the game.

Like I can understand where they are coming from and it sucks they felt they could not express their thoughts one that without being jumped on.

As for me I grew up on the Harry potter books and movies to the point that they were a major part of my life. Seeing the trash that that vile woman is S.P.E.W.ing I'm done with the series till she either dies or sells it and even then who knows for sure. I remember enough of the lore that there are many things to side eye now that we know her true thoughts. The board should allow news involving the current situation or adjacent news like devs now struggling with working on the project but there should be NO dedicated topics to Harry Potter here anymore, no trailers no gifs no pics.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
I think these are like 3 different problems. Brand attachment is a people problem, not an era problem and I don't know what you really expect here, if anything Era is slightly better.

Not being able to see problematic issues in your fav game has to also with the dogpiling here. That doesn't exactly make it easy to change position once you've taken one.

And wrt TLOU2. Personally I feel representation must mean positive and negative. In all media I think that begins with the negative experiences of a group. Perhaps it's easier for people to sympathize with representation if the person from that group is struggling.

And I get that that can be unfulfilling for a minority group, but I do think that's how progress is made. TLOU2 is a perfect example of early representation in a medium.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Also I would like to add one last thing. I'm a Cis white guy and for a while I would avoid posting in certain topics (like the _____ While black) because I felt I would have noting to contribute other then saying wow thats fucked up but silence can be deafening. It's a trend that I'm trying to break since at least even just a simple post expressing my support feels like it would be better then staying silent at this point.

Deleted member 4532

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It comes from a place where will use these brands to fill certain parts of their personality like Landford said. I know this because that used to be me years ago where I would legit get irritated if someone insulted my favorite platform or game. It's embarrassing to admit now but learning to critique media and finding new hobbies helped break me out of that. Example, I picked up reading again back in 2016/2017.

Persona 5 is one of my all time favorite video games but I refuse to go to bat for any of its problematic content like its homophobia or its objectification of Ann. TLOU2 is my favorite game of this generation, but named black people always getting killed is hugely disappointing. And while I did like Lev, it's not my place to speak on the issues trans people have with him, rather listen.

Faith

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I find it hilarious that you usually see the same people popping in to defend their favourite company when a thread about something shitty they've done pops up, seems to happen a lot regarding one that is making some CyberCoolFuture game. Newsflash: These same companies don't give a shit about you either and it's laughable that you feel the need to back them up.

I'll add that the one take I saw in another certain thread, saying you were actually punishing the devs if you didn't support the product of a well known IP created by a bigot was one of the most laughable I've seen on here.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
I appreciate the effort that goes to highlight this issues.
However it feels like the vast majority of people talking in these threads agree with you.
The people who don't or don't care just ignore them, tho a few go big lengths to defend them and get banned.

I believe the main problem are not the people vocally against these topics, but the people who don't care and just look the other side.
The JKR thread was very telling, cause it has a lengthy discussion, but not even a small part of those who voted about buying the game dropped a comment.

Most people don't care.

OP
OP

Deleted member 64002

Banned
Feb 19, 2020
I think these are like 3 different problems. Brand attachment is a people problem, not an era problem and I don't know what you really expect here, if anything Era is slightly better.

Not being able to see problematic issues in your fav game has to also with the dogpiling here. That doesn't exactly make it easy to change position once you've taken one.

And wrt TLOU2. Personally I feel representation must mean positive and negative. In all media I think that begins with the negative experiences of a group. Perhaps it's easier for people to sympathize with representation if the person from that group is struggling.

And I get that that can be unfulfilling for a minority group, but I do think that's how progress is made. TLOU2 is a perfect example of early representation in a medium.
1.see that's the issue here your apathy is very frustrating when I see it everywhere and I know its there. Any thread you go whether it's cyberpunk or folks hugging their consoles despite literal slave labor that made them.
2.this is another problem with people just ignoring posts they do not disagree with. There needs to be a conversation we don't need to go from 0 to 11 without any repercussions as I see on this forum all too often.
3. I disagree significantly considering the issue is representation, in general, being overall negative. That isn't progressing that's kicking the dog while it's down. Throwing a character for inclusivity bucks is a shitty tactic and so many people sadly fall for it all too frequently.

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think most of people don't even comment in those threads to avoid getting banned.

For me it's usually cost/benefit thing. In JK Rowling for example, if I was able to take all of her money by not buying the next HP game then boycotting would be worthy. Depriving myself of a game from HP franchise, which I'm really fond of, and the only result is her a bit less rich isn't worthy imo.

Pancoar

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I truly hate the constant use of "There is no ethical consumption under capitalism" as some gotcha like that comic that's like "haha but you too take part in society so you are just as bad????". Like fuck man, I just feel mentally drained reading the shit people say to defend companies these days.

I loved Harry Potter when I was young, but there's no way I'm going to support Rowling. She is still very much alive and is actively harming people I know and care for with her vile rhetoric. I've waited YEARS for Cyberpunk, but now I just don't care anymore, and all the Ubisoft stuff is just downright depressing as a woman. Sure, let me just play the next AssCreed and ignore the rampant abuse and misogyny that runs throughout the company, but sure it's totally going to be fixed cause a few people quit/resigned/whatever.

Imagine how I felt when I was looking forward to Death Stranding, just to see that bullshit about asexuality, even if Kojima didn't write it, I still have to deal with people constantly trying to invalidate me for who I am. I don't see it as depriving myself of a game, or like am I missing out. I honestly much rather support developers who do care and try to provide good representation without taking potshots at minorities. Video Games aren't a necessity (yes I know what forum this is for....).

Please go watch Disclosure on Netflix. Trans people have been treated horribly for years in media, from being constantly murdered on crime shows, to "oh no you got this disease that only someone of your biological sex could get, or the good old "your hormones are killing you" on medical dramas. When there are thousands of depictions of trans people suffering for the fact they are trans compared to the very few positive depictions. It sets a tone and narrative saying that trans folx will always be miserable.

It's really tiring when people go "well bad things happen to everyone, it's too much to expect them to be treated good all the time! It's so unrealistic!" People start talking about "Mary Sues" and such, like wanting more positive representation is some monumental demand. Maybe if media started to treat minorities better, it would impact the outside world and wouldn't be seen as such afar out reach...

OP
OP

Deleted member 64002

Banned
Feb 19, 2020
Why was your old thread unpinned?
ask staff I assume low activity which is unfortunately expected however I do believe era needs a place for minorities to air their grievances.
or I assume this one will be pinned instead I have no idea tbh.
Edit: i want to also say that even if that threads not pinned those issues are still very relevant.(they have not disappeared )

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
The extent to which some people have their mouths permanently affixed to the rear end of CDPR will never cease to amaze me.

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Step one would be to start warning and banning any and every one who comes into a thread about a problematic CDPR Cyberpunk thing with nonsense like "Buying it anyway!"or "Day 1"

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
Also I would like to add one last thing. I'm a Cis white guy and for a while I would avoid posting in certain topics (like the _____ While black) because I felt I would have noting to contribute other then saying wow thats fucked up but silence can be deafening. It's a trend that I'm trying to break since at least even just a simple post expressing my support feels like it would be better then staying silent at this point.

This is me as well. As a straight white male in his mid 30's sometimes I hesitate to say much. I'm also fearful of saying the wrong thing as many times I don't see why something effects someone until they express why. I try to be very supportive but it's also an area where I don't always know the issue well and feel as if saying something sometimes might come off wrong as it's not something I have experience in. At the same time I don't want to not express support or share opinions. These threads are very enlightening to me though and I enjoy them and feel as if I learn a lot from people who point things out that I wouldn't have noticed.

TLDR: I support you OP and thank you for bringing up things that cause me to think and consider perspectives that I don't have experience with.

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
Step one would be to start warning and banning any and every one who comes into a thread about a problematic CDPR Cyberpunk thing with nonsense like "Buying it anyway!"or "Day 1"
But isn't that already a rule?

Do Not Argue in Bad Faith

Honest dissent and debate is generally encouraged. However, we do not welcome disingenuous arguments, deliberately ignoring or refusing to acknowledge counterarguments, or arguing for no reason than to upset other members. If your contributions to a discussion are clearly unproductive or lead in circles, it is time to stop.

Do not deliberately misrepresent the opinions or concerns of other users. Posters who enter a thread and drop a hot take (especially on a sensitive or controversial topic), only to never follow up, may be moderated for drive by posting. It is also not okay to enter a thread solely to whine about its existence or to deliberately derail it. If you have nothing of substance to contribute to a thread it may be best to avoid it.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I think most of people don't even comment in those threads to avoid getting banned.

For me it's usually cost/benefit thing. In JK Rowling for example, if I was able to take all of her money by not buying the next HP game then boycotting would be worthy. Depriving myself of a game from HP franchise, which I'm really fond of, and the only result is her a bit less rich isn't worthy imo.
If you want to enjoy the new wizard game you don't need to dig up an excuse that's been reasoned against a thousand times and is effectively a point akin to "no sense protesting unless everything magically solves itself when I take part". Just buy the game and enjoy it if you really need to, while at least being vocally critical of the issues circling it.

What's worthy is showing support for trans people and giving any less influence toward her at a time when she's spitting rhetoric no less hateful and more influential than Ben Shapiro, Joe Rogan and other chuds, a time when she's being quoted by politicians in doing so over restricting the lives of trans people.

That's kind of the issue with these threads over time though. People coming in with the "I'd just be banned" victimhood because they feel they can't drop a needless and stale defense for buying a new game they want in the face of issues around it. Instead of putting aside their need to feel better about that purchasing decision to focus on those issues and show support.

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you want to enjoy the new wizard game you don't need to dig up an excuse that's been reasoned against a thousand times and is effectively a point akin to "no sense protesting unless everything magically solves itself when I take part". Just buy the game and enjoy it if you really need to, while at least being vocally critical of the issues circling it.
What excuse? Just explaining my reasoning when I choose or not to do deprive myself of something I like in order to protest. J. K. Rowling thing is just an example. Even though I believe all the critics to her are fair.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
What excuse? Just explaining my reasoning when I choose or not to do deprive myself of something I like in order to protest. J. K. Rowling thing is just an example. Even though I believe all the critics to her are fair.
I don't think my full post was particularly hard to comprehend.

Kaivan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Let's get this straight, which of these are more supportive and/or offensive actions?

- Does not participate in any thread criticizing the game/company, discusses and promotes it in another thread
- Does not participate in any thread criticizing the game/company, does not play the game at all
- Criticizes the game/company in one thread, discusses and promotes it in another thread
- Criticizes the game/company in one thread, does not discuss and promote it in another thread, but still plays the game
- Criticizes the game/company in one thread, does not play the game at all

I believe the vast majority of Era falls in the first category.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

That is an excuse. Your trying to say you care more about no being able to play a game with trans people not being able to live their life. Like you didn't even consider buying the game used. your ready to give 60 to a woman that would like to see a portion of the board dead.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I find it really hard to read the OP when it's not broken up into smaller paragraphs. It might by my dyslexia but it was really difficult for me to get through what you were writing there.

You definitely raise interesting points and I agree with you but I think western consumers have a long history of neglecting the impact that their purchases have on the world. Whether it's poor labour conditions, social impact of the depiction of certain characters and content in the game (e.g. trans issues), or even the impact of manufacture on things like climate change.

But, it's definitely really good that we have these conversations out in the open, if only encourage developers to change their games in the future. Developers to read forums like ERA and journalistic outlets that write about these subjects have the potential to influence those devs too. That's the only angle I see leading to change in this area, really.