• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
So I'm currently trapped in a hell of my own making. A while back I moved to Japan for work and I didn't bring any PlayStation console with me. I changed my phone number without first updating my 2 step verification or getting my backup codes. Recently I bought a new PlayStation and now I can't login.

So I've been trying to connect with PlayStation customer support and it's been a soul crushing experience.

There is a live chat on PlayStation's support website that ideally connects you with an agent to help you with your problem. It first connects you with a bot that can help with simple problems but you can ask the bot to direct you to an agent if you need help with something else.

Unfortunately, the bot almost always tells you that the agents are too busy and that you need to try again at a later date.

Well finally, after weeks of trying and getting up early to match the time zone, I managed to get someone. I had to wait just shy of an hour after being told I was being directed to an agent, but I was thrilled anyways.

I told them my issue. I have a US account that I'm trying to log into but can't because I have a new phone number and no backup codes.

The agent asks for my contact information and after confirming tells me to wait.

I then get a message saying that PlayStation support US can't help with accounts made outside of the US and that making one is a violation of the terms of service. The agent immediately ended the live chat after sending that message without letting me ask anymore questions. As a reminder, I told them that I had a US account so this was pretty weird and frustrating to say the least.

I actually had the same, but much less frustrating experience with PlayStation support Japan. My browser defaults to them so I contacted them first. Their bot connected me with an agent on my first try, pretty late at night too, and I didn't have to wait long at all. The agent ended up telling me the same thing, that they couldn't help with accounts made outside of Japan, but the agent did direct me to the US support page and also asked me if I had more questions and I was able to get more information from them.

Now I'm stuck trying to get in contact with an agent again to explain my case. I'm feeling pretty hopeless at this point.

Anyways, I just had to write something to process all of this. I guess I would be interested in hearing everyone else's experiences with PlayStation customer support. Perhaps you had a better time than I've been having.

Dance Inferno

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah I've been trying to get a hang of someone at PlayStation support and basically am always told that there are no agents available. It's one of the worst chat systems out there. You can't even provide negative feedback - you click "provide feedback" and it just says "Thanks!". Total joke lol.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Sorry to hear that. PlayStation support is fucking atrocious.

They have official Ask PS twitter accounts - maybe try one of those?

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
They have official Ask PS twitter accounts - maybe try one of those?
They stopped Twitter support to feed it all through the website.

hide-the-pain-harold-harold.gif

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
In my personal experience, Nintendo>Xbox>>>>PlayStation for US customer service. You should call them. I've never been able to connect to anyone on their chat.

1-800-345-7669

OP
OP
SmokedSalmon

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
In my personal experience, Nintendo>Xbox>>>>PlayStation for US customer service. You should call them. I've never been able to connect to anyone on their chat.

1-800-345-7669
I'll certainly give it a try but I'm worried about getting a bunch of long distance charges from trying to connect with them. What is the calling experience like?

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
Always best to call. I avoid any 'chat' support where possible.

The two times I've needed them I've got through straight away and the problem resolved the next day in the case of out of warranty hardware failure a delivery company came the following day took my console and made me sign before unsealing a container with the refurb ps3.

Wavves

Oct 27, 2017
one of my biggest issues with PS is this. The customer support has always been bad, its gotten worse it seems

Aug 17, 2022
Nothing to add here except on more voice to the Playstation Support Sucks Tremendously crowd. Like, it's bad to being completely unacceptable for a company of this magnitude. Sorry you have to deal with this OP, even though we can't help.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Trying to get help and I was told the estimated wait time is between 10 and 20 minutes.... 30 minutes ago. I've been stuck on "Transferring to an agent now, please hold." Did they fire half of their support staff? It used to not be this bad.

EDIT: I refreshed, maybe it was stuck or something. Now it won't let me chat again so soon. This shit should be illegal.

Last edited:

DarrenM

Oct 28, 2017
Now it won't let me chat again so soon

This is one of the most infuriating aspects of Sony's CS. Why the fuck is there a cool down for support?

I get some people try to spam the agents to get a different result, but this feels like something that should be applied manually in those instances, not automatically and for everyone.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Man I wish I could help here... I had a horrible experience with Playstation support like 10ish years ago, but a better -- still shitty, but better -- experience when I got a PS4 Pro. My account got taken over after the PSN Hack years ago, and getting it back was just impossible. I never bought anything or had any identifying information on my PSN account, no credit card (or well, no active credit card), but when I went to create a new account when I got a PS4 Pro, they wouldn't let me use my email address because it was still associated with the hacked, "irretrievable" account. Eventually a CSR was able to un-link my email from that previous account so I could make a new one, but like you ... it took hours to do this. I thought about just using a new email, also tried techniques of adding +123 to my gmail to make a "fake" UUID in their system with the same email, but that was rejected as well, I hate using temporary email addresses for exactly this reason, it becomes hard to recover later.

This is one of the most infuriating aspects of Sony's CS. Why the fuck is there a cool down for support?

I get some people try to spam the agents to get a different result, but this feels like something that should be applied manually in those instances, not automatically and for everyone.

For a product that you pay money for, and for PSN, a service you pay money to use, "cool downs" are ridiculous.