• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Spades

Oct 26, 2017
Just played through the demo on Xbox. As others have said, it looks like hot garbage but gameplay is decent. I imagine it would be good mindless fun with 3 buddies if you played it in 4-player co-op, though.

Looks like an HD early Gamecube/PS2 title.

Defo has that Xbox 360 feel to it, IMO.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Played the Switch demo...

wow...I actually kind of liked that.

Partly in a "what even is this game?" sort of bad game way, but also because I started having fun with it.

It looks SO not very good that it was almost charming to me in a weird way. I don't know, man.

Hard to say much more since the demo is so short, but I could see myself playing this. I don't know if it's worth the nearly $60 Canadian price tag, but I'm interested in how many levels and content it has.

SturokBGD

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
Feels a lot like Housemarque's Dead Nation or Alienation which is nice, but I can't believe how bad the IQ in Switch portable mode is. Probably the worst I've seen. Pulling down the PS4 demo now because I think I might actually like this.

Nov 2, 2017
Yikes this was bad...the blurriness actually hurt my eyes and I've beaten and loved Doom on switch. Gameplay was decent but everything else was very forgettable, probably because I could barely see anything.

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
Controls feel clunky as hell. So it's a twin stick shooter, and you can't do a straight 180 turn. You have to slowly spin around to turn around. Your guns are constantly overheating, so you have keep switching them, but the weapon switch button is on Y, and the shooting button is on ZR, and you need your thumb to aim.

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019
Just played the game and as a result cancelled my preorder. And I'm someone that was willing to give this the benefit of the doubt despite negative public opinion from the original trailer, as I like Neo Contra and didn't want to dismiss this style of Contra outright. But this plays nothing like Contra, the graphics are terrible (which I was willing to forgive), and the overuse of cuss words was off-putting as well. Ugh.

AxkilAvenger

Banned
Apr 8, 2018
Ok i just played through the demo on switch and i will say this. No fucking way they release this with the game so low rez and blurry. And if by a slim chance they do, they better day one patch it. The demo is also bad and doesn't represent a Contra game at all. There's barely any action and it's slow as hell, which i'm sure is causing confusion. Then you get this trailer at the end of the demo (why is no one talking about this?) that's pure balls to the wall run n' gun Contra madness! running at a higher sharper resolution than the demo itself ffs. Trailer at the end sold me on this game and this demo was a mistake.

the androgyne

Oct 30, 2017
I played the PS4 demo. It's reasonably sharp resolution wise, though the textures are another matter! There's what looks like OG xbox level bump mapping in places, and low poly counts everywhere.
I like some of the visual design though. Up close the main character looks pretty cool, and the boss just before the demo ends looks great, very contra-esque. But there's a lack of contrast or shadowing or something that makes it all kind of blend together most of the time.

It's pretty slow to play and move, so I couldn't really judge the frame rate too well. The thing I didn't like was the 2nd stick aiming; the guy is already slow, but aiming with the 2nd stick makes him even slower, and way too easy of a target for the faster moving enemies. The dash reminded me of Nex Machina, but you're left more vulnerable at the end, and coupled with slow speed to aim back the way you came, it felt too sluggish. Maybe they wanted to place more emphasis on when/where you commit to the dash... but the swarms of enemies in places were annoying to deal with as a result.

The demo was really too short to get a really good idea though, one of the other characters might feel better. None of the weapon customisation from the trailers is there either. I thought the trailer at the end showed a lot of cool stuff at least.

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Couldn't play the Switch demo for more than a few minutes due to the terrible input lag and visuals, but I'll give it a shot on PC because I believe there will be a fun game here.

SirBaron

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just give me a sidescroller hd contra/probotector instead of this God awful crap. It was like playing a bad xbox original game

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kind of enjoying the game though. It has a weird pace to it that's rubbing me the right way. Not sure if I'm desperate for Contra or if this game is giving me something good. Actually, i just like it.

I know some folks at Konami US so I'll buy it to support them.

Deleted member 43657

User requested account closure
Banned
May 19, 2018
Background on my feelings about this game:

- I went in assuming this is *not* a bad game
- I have this on pre-order with amazon
- I've been thinking I'd wait for reviews should I decide to cancel my pre-order
- I like the older Contra games
- I'm hopeful that it'll be a good game

Demo impressions:

- It's admittedly not very pretty. Lots of "jaggies" and texture pop-in; the game truly looks like a PS2 era game
- I could care less how a game looks
- The gameplay is surprisingly fun—I really enjoyed the (albeit too) brief demo
- The dual stick control/aiming combo works exceptionally well along with the fixed camera
- That moment when I pushed "X" for the first time (I'm playing on Switch)
- This game promises to be absolutely bonkers, and I love it
- I think I'm going to keep my pre-order

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
This is one of the worst looking games I've seen in a long, long time.

EEODWYSUUAAoljO.jpg

EEODWYxU4AApA9P.jpg

EEODWYaU4AAw-2X.jpg

EEODWYdU8AA8OwC.jpg

Having to be careful of how long you shoot your gun before it overheats fucking sucks and even the music is just generic, forgettable background noise.

Short demo too, about ten minutes or so.

the demo was available since yesterday but there was no way to downlaod it because the date says it's 13th.
Wth is this? Even the release of the date of the demo is messed up to start with.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Oh nice! I was hoping they would release a demo, because I wanted to try it out.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Played it on PS4, seemed pretty decent all-around. My biggest complaint was honestly it wasn't over the top enough lol. Dunno why there's a regular score playing as I feel the tone of the game would call for butt rock and such

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
The visuals in this are atrocious. For $40, I expect texture quality from this millennium at least. Given how poor the textures are, you'd expect the game's visuals to make up for it in other areas, but nope, it's out-of-focus backgrounds (it wishes it was proper bokeh), 30fps, and shimmering galore.

I can't think of another developer/publisher that has had such a fall from grace quality-wise as Konami. They've lost everyone that once made their company great. Funny how that happens when you treat your employees like shit/glorified slaves.
Which platform?

LiftGammaGain

Oct 29, 2017
Asia-Europe
Seriously this game is pure trash.
At least, if the demo is representative of the final product.

And yes, it looks absolutely horrible.
I remember at the time people slamming down Contra Shattered Soldiers for the 3D models, color and style.
Well true is, SS pisses all over this offensive attempt at cashing on Contras name. SS is a great Contra btw.
As a Contra fan i went to this with an open mind, but i get nothing more than a " fuck you very" much from Konami.

Jashobeam

Oct 27, 2017
This looks like dog shit on the Switch, it doesnt even look like it runs in 720p docked, the video that plays at the end of the demo look higher res than the actual game, probably footage from the PS4/XB1 versions.

The game itself is very fun though, reminds me of Dead Nation. I wanted to get it for the Switch but I'll go with PS4 for this game.

Kelanflyter

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
France
The biggest problem of this game is not that it's Ugly and blend. It's that it's full price.
It it was a digital only game at 15-20$ it would be OK.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
This is one of the worst looking games I've seen in a long, long time.

EEODWYSUUAAoljO.jpg

EEODWYxU4AApA9P.jpg

EEODWYaU4AAw-2X.jpg

EEODWYdU8AA8OwC.jpg

Having to be careful of how long you shoot your gun before it overheats fucking sucks and even the music is just generic, forgettable background noise.

Short demo too, about ten minutes or so.

holy shit, this looks like something out of 2008

gonna download the demo for PS4, i have to see this for myself

Amalthea

Dec 22, 2017
What really breaks the game for me is that it's soooo sloooow. Especially for trying to capitalize so blatantly on Hard Corps.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Too blurry for me on the handheld screen. I think it's more the combination of low res textures, a lot of jaggies and the blur/low res that gives me the feeling I forgot my glasses while playing. My eyes have a hard time focusing what's on screen and that makes it really hard to play, even for a few minutes.

For comparisons sake, the DQ11 demo was totally fine for me.

PC90

Enlightened
Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Demo's pretty fun tbh. Not a game I'll get day 1, but I can see myself getting it some time down the line

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
so, i´ve played through the demo...which was ridiculously short. on PS4Pro btw

as a huge Contra fan and shoot em up gamer since the 80s i have to say: this is not good.

first of all, the graphics are very blurry, especially when the camera turns. then, the game is too slow, i mean yeah it is the first area but this is all too slow. running, the enemies, the shooting...it is like it runs slower than it should run. overheating mechanic in a Contra game is also awful. music/sound lacks too.

i don´t think this is 60fps, feels like 30...and it is low poly as well, could be easily a XB360/PS3 game.

the tone, well, this is oldschool 90s shit, the tone is at least good but whew...and they want 35bucks for this? gonna buy this when it is 15 bucks on sale just for shits and giggles. hopefully there is a hardcore mode or something like that.

and my advice, if you haven´t played it yet but want high octane, frantic twin stick action: just get Nex Machina, it does everything this Contra game sets out to do much better at a cheaper price.

Last edited:

j.zed

Oct 29, 2017
I like how unabashedly stupid the game is (e.g. picking up a tank and throwing it through a fence) but the gameplay just doesn't feel responsive. At least on a base PS4 the framerate and feel of the game is not where it needs to be for a fast paced action game, let alone one with Contra in the title.

Input lag is instantly noticeable and pretty jarring.

Oct 26, 2017
Poor Contra.
There's a fun game here underneath the poor art direction, bland environments, potato image quality, sluggish controls and 8-way analog aiming, none of which should have made it to the final product.

I am genuinely curious as to what engine this runs on and why the developers didn't go with a less technically demanding 2D art style in favor of iq and performance.

Goro Majima

Oct 29, 2017
Looks awful, but playing it is not as bad as I expected. Saying that, no way I would ever pay 40 euros for that. Maybe 10, if I would be in good mood to waste money.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I liked the demo more than I thought I would actually. Apart from technical matters, I think the game is ugly. If it is a design decision, no problem.

Kunka Kid

Oct 27, 2017
If they can clean up the graphics I'd be into it. I love the ridiculous over the top style.

But $40? Hell no.