• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
EEMQG9_UYAM8Jpx

So remember that thing in TMNT: Turtles in Time where you could throw enemies at the screen.

Explosions in Contra Rogue Corps do the same thing:
EEMQG-ZUEAATgdj

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Toylogic on dev is interesting. They worked on Smash Brawl, Kid Icarus Uprising, DQX, DQXI and some other stuff.

OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Oct 25, 2017
I just finished the demo, so you'll only get a taste of the first stage. That's it. But it will give you a good idea of how it plays.

OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Oct 25, 2017
Controversial opinion: I think Contra Rogue Corps is fun.

CGiRanger

Oct 25, 2017
Controversial opinion: I think Contra Rogue Corps is fun.
I think the negative impressions are mainly because it just looked so subpar when it debuted at E3 (I mean, the visual look was so grimy I thought there was an error with the video recording to explain it). No one can really have said yet how it might have played

OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's controversial

Saying it looks great would be

It definitely looks lower res on Switch in docked mode, I can't tell what it's running at. It's probably optimised for frames per second like with Super Bomberman R. So anyone that would prefer higher res has the other platform choices at launch.

It was only one stage. I can't put a price on it.

OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Oct 25, 2017

To clarify further. Someone else had the same impression as me where the demo felt like mindless fun.

I've put money down to pre-order the Day One edition on Switch (physical) because of the demo.

But that's just me, wait for reviews if you want first and that won't be long since the game comes out in two weeks.

Leynos

Oct 27, 2017
I'm very interested in this. I am hoping it is more Neo Contra, and less Contra: Legacy of War.

I still don't see it in the US shop.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
EEMQG9_UYAM8Jpx

So remember that thing in TMNT: Turtles in Time where you could throw enemies at the screen.

Explosions in Contra Rogue Corps do the same thing:
EEMQG-ZUEAATgdj
Oh neat altho in tmnt the cartoony look of thrown enemies is much nicer to look at xp.
Dont remember many games doing tho i may have played a handful that did that escape my memory.

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
They have the Fox Engine....and this is what they put out. I would be so crest fallen if this was indeed made in that engine and this is what Konami of today is only capable of.

I'm still morbidly curious about this game because I was such a big fan of the franchise. Was really hoping for Fox Engine imaginings of Konami properties that I still love to this day. But obviously the same can't be said about Konami.

Also, Phantom Pain ran on a 360 quite alright so I don't want to hear none of that 'Switch couldn't hang' nonsense.

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
The bad news is that this game looks like vaseline got in my eyes in portable mode.

Gameplay is kinda slow, but pretty decent. Guns work on an overheat mechanic which forces you to swap quite often.

If the visuals can get cleaned up a bit, I'll grab this on Switch, if not, I'll grab it on Xbox.

Hispanicguy

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely looks like ass, lol. Handheld and on the TV.

I just finished with the demo.

Gameplay needs to be smoother. Slight input lag (maybe will be better on consoles?). Character feels too stiff.

You can dash, which can stun enemies, which then lets you either do a finishing move or pick them up/toss them.

I wasn't blow away but it has me curious. $40 curious? That's what I'm debating on. Might be a good weekend game.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
The visuals in this are atrocious. For $40, I expect texture quality from this millennium at least. Given how poor the textures are, you'd expect the game's visuals to make up for it in other areas, but nope, it's out-of-focus backgrounds (it wishes it was proper bokeh), 30fps, and shimmering galore.

I can't think of another developer/publisher that has had such a fall from grace quality-wise as Konami. They've lost everyone that once made their company great. Funny how that happens when you treat your employees like shit/glorified slaves.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The input lag on Switch is WILD, wow.

I like the core of what I played here. I like the fixed-with-flourishes camera, the basic player actions, the dodge zones all over the place, the slight setpiece bits.

If this game is somehow not bogged down in exposed stats and has a solid difficulty curve (impossible to gather from the demo), I'm in. On another platform.

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
So the SLight Input lag I was feeling wasn't just me, eh? Ok, that's good to know.

I was never big into Contra, so te change in genre doesn't really bother me too much here, so I've kept my eye on it. From what I played in the demo, the game seems perfect for switch except for the fact that it's kinda not designed for i, which sucks cause I can get it for pretty cheap on Switch. Will hopefully be able to play a surprise PS4 demo to get a better idea of how it plays on astronger system because if not switch, I'd probs grab it on PC.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
They have the Fox Engine....and this is what they put out. I would be so crest fallen if this was indeed made in that engine and this is what Konami of today is only capable of.

I'm still morbidly curious about this game because I was such a big fan of the franchise. Was really hoping for Fox Engine imaginings of Konami properties that I still love to this day. But obviously the same can't be said about Konami.

Also, Phantom Pain ran on a 360 quite alright so I don't want to hear none of that 'Switch couldn't hang' nonsense.
I think the biggest problem here is not support, but expertise. How hard would be for these devs to learn how to make games in the fox engine? How many people that know the engine even still work at Konami? If it's not a game made inside Konami itself, I don't think fox engine will get any use at all.

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
I think the biggest problem here is not support, but expertise. How hard would be for these devs to learn how to make games in the fox engine? How many people that know the engine even still work at Konami? If it's not a game made inside Konami itself, I don't think fox engine will get any use at all.

Those Pro Evolution Soccer games look excellent so it's absolutely all about support and willingness to commit to other type of projects. Konami is just a company where inspiration and creativity goes out the window.

That being said, I really want to try this demo.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Those Pro Evolution Soccer games look excellent so it's absolutely all about support and willingness to commit to other type of projects. .
But toybox is a external developer, pes is made in house.

They did the same thing with Bomberman R.

To be fair, this is a mid-budget game, a way to continue the franchise that can't sell PES or metal gear numbers, and I'm for it. If they are willing to keep their smaller franchise going on like this, I'm ok with it.