• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

OdjnRyu

Nov 8, 2017
Not gonna lie, I enjoyed the Switch demo but the resolution is REALLY, really low and everything looks way too blurry. Gonna have to see how it looks on PS4.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
If the game didn't look like ass and didn't have the weapon cooldown mechanic and the very notcable input lag, it would've a been a servicable top down shooter.

Beats me why you'd bother with it when the likes of Assault Android Cactus are around though.

Last edited:

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I played the Switch demo for maybe 5 minutes (undocked). I don't think I've ever seen so much input-lag in a game before. It's borderline unplayable.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
I just realized this game is coming out on the 24th... holy fuck sticks Batman. This game can actually be a hell of a lot better...but It needs a lot more time than its getting. Like its coming out hot without the polish and optimization passes games are supposed to get at the end of the development cycle. Is Konami pulling an EA and just pushing this one out the door before its fully done??

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I just realized this game is coming out on the 24th... holy fuck sticks Batman. This game can actually be a hell of a lot better...but It needs a lot more time than its getting. Like its coming out hot without the polish and optimization passes games are supposed to get at the end of the development cycle. Is Konami pulling an EA and just pushing this one out the door before its fully done??

Yes. They absolutely are.

IamFlying

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 6, 2019
If the game didn't look like ass and didn't have the weapon cooldown mechanic and the very notcable input lag, it would've a been a servicable top down shooter.

Beats me why you'd bother with the likes of Assault Android Cactus around though.

It's not even in the same league as Assault Android Cactus. AAC is graphically and technically a flawless game on Switch.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Wow, this game is kinda of achievement of being perfect for switch because playing on anything else you feel bad for speding 300+ bucks to play a game that looks like this, but with switch lite, it doesnt hurt so bad, and the smaller screen decieve you on thinking the game doest really looks as bad as actually does. Is there a term of this?

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
I played through the demo this morning on Switch docked and quite enjoyed it.

Yea the resolution is low and everything looks a bit muddy and smeared on my 4K set, but it plays well.

it plays well? it has input lag from here to the moon...

Wow, this game is kinda of achievement of being perfect for switch because playing on anything else you feel bad for speding 300+ bucks to play a game that looks like this, but with switch lite, it doesnt hurt so bad, and the smaller screen decieve you on thinking the game doest really looks as bad as actually does. Is there a term of this?

Autosuggestion?

:-)

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I can not believe how bad this game is. It looks like ass, it controls bad because of the input lag and the gameplay is uninspired.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So uhhh...I really like this. Don't know exactly what it is, but it hits a lot of pleasure points in my brain.

No denying the visuals though. I played the demo in handheld mode on Switch and god damn was it blurry. I'm typically not very sensitive to that kind of stuff either. But as far as the style/general blocky-ness of it all, I don't mind that stuff at all. I actually dig the crazy over the top style.

If they can optimize the game a bit more and depending on what the rest of the content is (the trailer after the demo looked really promising), I'm there for sure. Otherwise I'll wait for a sale. Either way I definitely see myself picking this up at some point.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
This game looks really ugly even on a Pro and sounds it too, but it's got this charm that I don't get games from much these days, like some '90s shoot-em-up that I'd find on a demo disc.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
I'm hoping there's some type of Kotaku like expose on this shit show.
I'm so sure this is that game they announced at E3 ages ago with no further mention and they had initially cancelled it cause it was so shitty and then revived it cause of the success of the Switch.

I need to know when development began. I refuse to believe this was built for current gen consoles.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just played it during lunch time.

Honestly I thought it was fun, but at the same time, very distant from the usual Contra experience (duh).

Thing is, Konami did something similar with Neo Contra, and it was awesome, but at least Neo Contra was sporting a nice artstyle where this one....doesn't really look good. Perhaps it's because I'm playing on Switch? I should try it on my PS4 Pro later....

Anyway, I'm still intrigued, curious to play more, not sure it's a day 1 though.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
So remember that thing in TMNT: Turtles in Time where you could throw enemies at the screen.

Explosions in Contra Rogue Corps do the same thing:
EEMQG-ZUEAATgdj

This is actually pretty cool. Game definitely looks ugly as shit, but that hasn't detracted me from enjoying a game if the gameplay is good.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
I'm hoping there's some type of Kotaku like expose on this shit show.
I'm so sure this is that game they announced at E3 ages ago with no further mention and they had initially cancelled it cause it was so shitty and then revived it cause of the success of the Switch.

I need to know when development began. I refuse to believe this was built for current gen consoles.

That teaser from years ago was heavily rumored to be connected to MercurySteam, the Castlevania: Lords of Shadow studio, ie nothing to do with this game.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I haven't had time to play the demo yet but is the input lag only on Switch or every version? I can stomach a lot of technical failings but input lag isn't doable for me.

eddiemunstr

Jan 20, 2019
Its such a shame this game turned out the way it has, I was interested in it since it seemed fun. Does any know of any other notable contra/metal slug style games released in the last few years besides blazing chrome? I might just pick up a few of those instead with the money I would have used on this.

Drencrom

Oct 25, 2017
SWE
I'm genuinely interested in this game, but I really don't understand why it's $40...
We still have no idea how "big" this game even is. Could be a 4 hour arcade style campaign for all we know at this point, because they haven't said or shown anything that says it's a $40 game.

Nov 2, 2017
Finally tried the demo on Xbone. I liked it but input lag is my 30/60 fps and it really impacts this game. Can only hope they fix for release.

Just played it during lunch time.

Honestly I thought it was fun, but at the same time, very distant from the usual Contra experience (duh).

Thing is, Konami did something similar with Neo Contra, and it was awesome, but at least Neo Contra was sporting a nice artstyle where this one....doesn't really look good. Perhaps it's because I'm playing on Switch? I should try it on my PS4 Pro later....

Anyway, I'm still intrigued, curious to play more, not sure it's a day 1 though.
Surprised more people aren't referencing Neo Contra in here, definitely seems inspired by that game. I just love the PS2 Contras (Shattered Soldier and Neo).

I'm genuinely interested in this game, but I really don't understand why it's $40...
We still have no idea how "big" this game even is. Could be a 4 hour arcade style campaign for all we know at this point, because they haven't said or shown anything that says it's a $40 game.
Outside of input lag, this is my only other major concern. Really surprised by price tag. I guess all of these questions will be answered soon on release.

Hispanicguy

Oct 25, 2017
Input lag and price are definitely my 2 main concerns but even with that, I'm really intrigued by the game. Against my better judgement, I may pick it up this week lol.

Bill Rizer

Banned
Apr 28, 2018
Demo has been a big let down to me. Nothing in common to the Ps2 masterpiece that was Shattered Soldier but even not in the same league of Neo Contra. Clunky and uninspired. Rather play Housemarque's twin stick shooters, they are just so good.