• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Whoops!

The Verge said:
Natural Cycles, a contraceptive app that became certified in the EU as a form of birth control, has been hit with a complaint after being blamed for causing 37 unwanted pregnancies, reports Swedish publication SVT. Södersjukhuset hospital in Stockholm reported the app to Swedish regulator MPA (the Medical Product Agency), after 37 women visited the hospital for an abortion after becoming pregnant while using Natural Cycles.

The app uses an algorithm and measures factors like temperature to determine the period when a woman may be fertile. It's a popular alternative to hormonal contraceptives like the pill because it lacks side effects. In a statement to The Verge, Natural Cycles said it hasn't received any information from Södersjukhuset hospital, but are in touch with the MPA about each individual case. The company has also initiated an internal investigation with their clinical department, and said:

"No contraception is 100% effective, and unwanted pregnancies is an unfortunate risk with any contraception. Natural Cycles has a Pearl Index of 7, which means it is 93% effective at typical use, which we also communicate.

At first sight, the numbers mentioned in the media are not surprising given the popularity of the app and in line with our efficacy rates. As our user base increases, so will the amount of unintended pregnancies coming from Natural Cycles app users, which is an inevitable reality."

The app currently has 700,000 users worldwide. A midwife at SÖS, Carina Montin, told SVTthat the hospital was reporting Natural Cycles to the MPA because of the unwanted pregnancies it helped cause. The app is designed for users aged 18 years and over, and Natural Cycles says younger users should consider another form of contraception.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
As someone who got his wife pregnant on purpose, the idea that this app exists and that people trusted it is hilariously fucking stupid.

Tecnniqe

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Antarctica
Lmao there really is an app for everything.

Take your eyes off the smart phones and focus on the sex and proper prevention!

Mango Polo

Nov 2, 2017

Oynox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What did the people think? Did the app developer had not proper usage guide? I mean there is no single contraception in the world which is 100% safe...

But jessus, how did they reach that Pearl Index rating? lol

Oct 27, 2017
Tn, USA
LOL. The rhythm method is a technique for GETTING pregnant, not for avoiding it :P

I had good luck with pulling out as a risk taking young man but damn, kids, just get on the pill or glove it!

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
The time is ripe for my competing contraceptive app for the prudent gentleman, JIZZ HERE! It consists of a circle on the screen and a simple directive: "JIZZ HERE!"

100% reliable if you follow the instructions.

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
GF was on this for a couple of months, but we stopped because it was pretty annoying to take your temperature as often as you should, and there was a lot of days that were only 'somewhat safe'.

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
These apps work... very well.....

I don't know about their experiences, but I was shocked at the results

Dec 31, 2017
93% is way too low as that's basically 1 in 15 times of having sex.

Condoms are around 80% for typical use. The highest one IIRC are IUDs, which are around 97-99% (because "typical use" can't be fucked up by human error in those cases).

Now overall, I think the 93% stat for this app is prob bogus honestly. But if it is true, then some pregnancies are obviously to be expected with a large enough sample.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Pull n' shoot never worked, any doctor could tell you that.

this is not what this is.

It's a pretty common thing, actually, and it works reasonably well.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calendar-based_contraceptive_methods

The main issue with this is that it doesn't prevent getting pregnant during regular sex, but rather it forces you to schedule your sex life around the days that it's very very unlikely for you to get pregnant.

Of course, with a larger userbase, those "7% failure rate over a year" turn out to be quite some unexpected real babies.

Deleted member 14002

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I guess 37 people didn't download the update.

93%...

We have sources on how effective are condoms/pill respectively?

Oct 28, 2017
I mean 93% is obviously not a guaranteed no-pregnancy result. Not sure what there is to complain about unless the percentage is drastically different which doesn't sound like it.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
a. Pill
b. Condoms
c. IUD
d. Vasectomy
e. Tubal ligation
f. Smartphone app.

....One of these things is not like the others.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Condoms are around 80% for typical use. The highest one IIRC are IUDs, which are around 97-99% (because "typical use" can't be fucked up by human error in those cases).

Now overall, I think the 93% stat for this app is prob bogus honestly. But if it is true, then some pregnancies are obviously to be expected with a large enough sample.
Yeah if that 93% number is true, then I don't get people clowning on this because it seems better than some more established alternatives.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Wtf is typical use of a condom?
I'd guess that factors in people applying it improperly (due to lack of sex ed) - like ... not pinching the tip, rolling it off inside out, not rolling it all the way down, putting on the same condom when it slipped off, opening the condom wrapper with your teeth and all that.

Yeah if that 93% number is true, then I don't get people clowning on this because it seems better than some more established alternatives.

The issue is that this method severely restricts your sex life. So the numbers are skewed.
Condoms, IUDs, the pill etc. allow you to freely have sex.
This method only allows you to have sex around 50% of the year?

Still, it's a better method than pulling out, or some placebo shit.

Deleted member 14002

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd guess that factors in people applying it improperly (due to lack of sex ed) - like ... not pinching the tip, rolling it off inside out, not rolling it all the way down, putting on the same condom when it slipped off, opening the condom wrapper with your teeth and all that.

Perfect use minus wrong size, staying inside after finishing (increases risk of it slipping off), lack of lubrication causing too much friction (ouch).

Got it. Thanks.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
The way people on average use it. I'm guessing people aren't really too careful with making sure the condom isn't broken or other things that increase the risk of pregnancy.
Like, when you put the still-rolled-up condom against the tip of your penis, and you notice you're about to put it on the wrong way around

(like this)

you should already throw out that one because there's a likely some precum on the - once you turn it around - outside(!) of your condom.
Now imagine what happens when that's the only condom available...