• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
The app was just a temperature log. This is the rhythm method. Great for getting pregnant, risky for not getting pregnant. Though if used correctly, using a well calibrated thermometer and following it to a tee, it can work. You just have to stay out of those iffy times when it can go either way.

You could just as easily follow a paper guide, this app just made it easier.

If you don't want to get pregnant, use an iud or the pill with the addition of a condom. Safe sex and paychecks, people.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
I don't want to say these people deserved what they got because bringing an unwanted child in to the world is horrible but man this is just some really high grade ignorance.

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
I would only use this method when my wife and I were already married and didn't want kids yet but would be ok with a oopsie. I mean it definitely works but obviously it's a pretty high risk considering what you get.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I would only use this method when my wife and I were already married and didn't want kids yet but would be ok with a oopsie. I mean it definitely works but obviously it's a pretty high risk considering what you get.
Yup, it's very much a "we don't want kids yet but whatever happens happens" method.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Like, when you put the still-rolled-up condom against the tip of your penis, and you notice you're about to put it on the wrong way around

(like this)

you should already throw out that one because there's a likely some precum on the - once you turn it around - outside(!) of your condom.
Now imagine what happens when that's the only condom available...
How can there likely be precum before you even have sex? lol

If you're about to blow from just the blowjob then you shouldn't waste a condom tbh.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
My fiancée uses an app to track her menstrual cycles to great effect but I don't think we'd ever trust an app alone to track her fertility. Obviously women have tracked their ovulation naturally with careful record-keeping since ancient times, but it always seems to me like the contraceptive method most prone to human error.

But a 93% success is pretty terrific if it's accurate. I do wonder how many users have avoided pregnancy because of careful use of the app and how many just wouldn't have gotten pregnant anyway. More varieties of birth control that allow people to make the right choice for themselves is a great thing and I hope this app isn't denigrated for a statistically low rate of failure.

My SO takes an oral contraceptive and I don't do any PIV ejaculation. We'd get an abortion if we ever needed one, but neither of us are really willing to take the risk, so we both take some responsibility in preventing a pregnancy. This app strikes me as something that would be supremely effective when used in conjunction with a second form of birth control as well.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017

If you're about to blow from just the blowjob then you shouldn't waste a condom tbh.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pre-ejaculate

simply a high degree of arousal (something that is likely to be the case when you're about to put on a condom) can lead to the excretion of precum

This is not "about to blow" - precum doesn't get emitted near climax, but during foreplay. It's a natural lubricant.

I love the combination of macho attitude and misinformation though :P

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pre-ejaculate

simply a high degree of arousal (something that is likely to be the case when you're about to put on a condom) can lead to the excretion of precum

This is not "about to blow" - precum doesn't get emitted near climax, but during foreplay. It's a natural lubricant.

I love the combination of macho attitude and misinformation though :P
The presence of spermin the fluid is variable from low to absent.

Oct 27, 2017
Like, when you put the still-rolled-up condom against the tip of your penis, and you notice you're about to put it on the wrong way around

(like this)

you should already throw out that one because there's a likely some precum on the - once you turn it around - outside(!) of your condom.
Now imagine what happens when that's the only condom available...
That's why you should blow into it first.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017

Did you have sex-ed at school?

Also low presence of sperm isn't zero. Probabilities are low, but you have no way of knowing either way.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
So these women were just letting their man bust inside because an app said it was ok? Not even try to at least pull out?
Given the total numbers of users and reported cases it would seem to bear out the effectiveness of the app.

Whether those numbers are due to external factors is certainly worth questioning.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Christ man can we just get a pill or shot for guys that makes us shoot blanks for 6 mo to a year? Would be far easier, as others have said the pill completely fucks some women up

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, you're moving the goalpost from obviously thinking "pre cum" is literally being close to cumming to now arguing about the concentration of sperm within said liquid.

It's okay to be misinformed and learn. We were talking about the proper / improper use of condoms, and pre-cum poses a non-zero risk of causing a pregnancy, and it's a phenomenon that many (including you) are kinda unaware of.

That's why you should blow into it first.
maxresdefault.jpg

definitely.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
We just don't freak out about precum in our country. Probability is low UNLESS you're nearing orgasm.
There are low probabilities of getting pregnant when using this app correctly.
Still didn't stop some people from getting pregnant.

People are certainly welcome to handle their precum however they like, but then they can't really complain that contraception didn't work if they didn't take even easy precautions.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, you're moving the goalpost from obviously thinking "pre cum" is literally being close to cumming to now arguing about the concentration of sperm within said liquid.

It's okay to be misinformed and learn. We were talking about the proper / improper use of condoms, and pre-cum poses a non-zero risk of causing a pregnancy, and it's a phenomenon that many (including you) are kinda unaware of.
You're the one who says there's LIKELY precum before you even enter penetration which is not supported by anything but your own hunch.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sad about it, I don't want people this stupid to bring so many unwanted children to this world, when they are ready, and hopefully smarter, they can try again.
You say that like there is no psychological or physical effect on a woman who gets an abortion. Yes its better than carrying and delivering an unwanted child but it could have lasting effects on these women.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
You're the one who says there's LIKELY precum before you even enter penetration which is not supported by anything but your own hunch.
I don't think you understand what precum is...

Where did he say precum was likely?

Moreover even a high likelihood of precum is doesn't mean high quantities of sperm, but any quantity leads to a Nonzero chance of pregnancy.

Holy shit, this is a perfect demonstration of why sex ed is so critical.

Oct 25, 2017
You say that like there is no psychological or physical effect on a woman who gets an abortion. Yes its better than carrying and delivering an unwanted child but it could have lasting effects on these women.

There are consequences for actions, and it's still their choice, they can still keep the baby if they want, even if I doubt most will.

The situation just sucks in general.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
I at one point was using an app to track my cycle and it did give me an option to show how my fertility would be day to day. I could see using it if you are trying to get pregnant but I would never use it as the sole method of birth control.

GraveRobberX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I await the men libido app which already has every man 100% no matter what

Hey lets fuck?, My app says I'm good to go
Sorry, my app is telling me No at the moment
This some bullshit!
What can you do?, You follow the apps rule!

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Last page.

I'm aware you can get precum from arousal lol
Well, yeah, now you are. You're welcome.
Before, you equated it to "being about to blow".

But you got me - i said "likely", i should have said "possible". But since we're - once again - talking about minimizing risks (of pregnancy) - things that are 'possible' is what is meant to be avoided.

Carfo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

i looked into this and while i'm pro-life, there is very little evidence to say that abortions have some kind of psychological or physical effects on the women. you would think they would, given they're ending/preventing a life, but most go in and out as easy as a routine checkup. what gets me is that there's thousands of parents out there who can't have kids that would gladly raise these babies

Oynox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am seriously wondering, why that app is even so big. Just because it is "certified"? There is a completely free (and popular) alternative which probably does just about the same thing. I mean this app charges the user 65€ a year... Maybe I would complain too if I spend that much money on "certified contraception" and it goes wrong haha

hurlex

Oct 25, 2017
Depending on the number of people using the app, this may be entirely expected. They claim a 93% effectiveness with 'typical use' - which would mean 37 unwanted pregnancies per 529 people using the app per year. For a city the size of Stockholm, that's maybe not hugely unexpected. For comparison, Planned Parenthood rates condoms as 85% effective in preventing pregnancy with typical use.

To be fair, it says condoms are 98% effective if used properly, but since apparently a lot of people fuck it up, they are only have an effective rate of 85%.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I am seriously wondering, why that app is even so big. Just because it is "certified"? There is a completely free (and popular) alternative which probably does just about the same thing. I mean this app charges the user 65€ a year... Maybe I would complain too if I spend that much money on "certified contraception" and it goes wrong haha
I guess?

It's important that the algorithm is solid. The issue is that people didn't understand that while the app is "certified" to do what it means to do - what it means to do is still a not-really-perfect method of contraception, that is often times used in combination with physical contraception, like using condoms on the "riskier" days, enjoying the sensation of going in "naked" on the days that are safe, while at the same time being aware that a pregnancy could still occur.

That's not how that works... That % is per year of using that method.

yup, isn't it "after 1 year, how many of the women(couples) using this method had gotten pregnant?"
So it's 1 in 15 couples.

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ahem:
Pearl Index is actually "Number of pregnancies in a typical 100 woman-years of use", not a raw%.