• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mulligan

Oct 29, 2017
She is absolutely incredible. Between Natalie, PhilosophyTube, and HBomberguy, my perceptions are constantly challenged.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Her "Are Traps Gay" video really, really spoke to me.

I'm not radicalized or anything, but I was going through some rough questioning of my sexuality and I really loved the message of that video which boiled down to "only you get to decide your sexuality". And I quit worrying.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There's a small circle of lefty-tube that's worth salvaging from the rotting carcass of YouTube, namely ContraPoints, PhilosophyTube, a few others I don't really pay attention to.

Deleted member 82

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Other YouTubers worth mentioning: Shaun (formerly ShaunandJen) and ThreeArrows. Knowing Better is pretty good too.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
God bless Contrapoints. Incredible videos.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
There are some amazing youtubers doing great work producing leftist/progressive content. But I do think she may be doing the heaviest lifting when it comes to deconverting the troll/shitpost type right wingers.

I do worry about her well being sometimes because of how deep she dives into some of the vile stuff she researches in addition to how much of herself she shares in her videos. The video where she compared herself with incels made her seem so vulnerable. And then there's the fact that she is heavily criticized from "both sides" and she feels like she has to walk a tight line. Every new video seems like its an exhausting and frightening labor of love. But the honesty and insight stand out in a sea of content. I just hope she has a good support team because her videos are invaluable.

Last edited:

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I love Contrapoints' videos, but the whole non-binary thing and her reaction to it really rubbed me the wrong way.

Suiko

Oct 25, 2017
Contrapoints got me to sign-up to Patreon, so there is that.
The Lindsay Ellis / Contra Points crossover event was the most ambitious crossover ever.

I love Contrapoints' videos, but the whole non-binary thing and her reaction to it really rubbed me the wrong way.

What about it bothered you?

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
I watch most lefty YouTubers and think "I could do this if I wasn't so lazy". Most of the time it's good content that's packaged well, but nothing really insightful.

Not with Natalie. I watch Contrapoints and think "...yeah, this person is much smarter than me".

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Contrapoints got me to sign-up to Patreon, so there is that.
The Lindsay Ellis / Contra Points crossover event was the most ambitious crossover ever.

What about it bothered you?
https://www.reddit.com/r/LateStageGenderBinary/comments/9k1c5f/contrapoints_lost_twitter_thread/

I'm sure there's a reasonable thought process behind what she said, but my problem is rather than elaborate on what could be read as a bigoted statement, she just deleted the whole thread and didn't comment on it (to my knowledge).

GustyGardens

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I love Natalie and I think her and her videos are a treasure. I don't always think she's funny, but damn if the videos aren't outstanding.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
T H E M O U T H F E E L
I hate to say this but I don't share her videos on FB because of how crude they can be.

But I guess given the topics that bluntness is needed. Just makes it hard to recommend it to average folks for me.

That comes off as a bit bigoted I'll admit. I probably should share this at the very least.

Jecht

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hate to say this but I don't share her videos on FB because of how crude they can be.

But I guess given the topics that bluntness is needed. Just makes it hard to recommend it to average folks for me.

That comes off as a bit bigoted I'll admit. I probably should share this at the very least.

Are your friends adults? I think they can probably handle it. Send them the Incels video, its a somewhat tamer starting point.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
never heard of contrapoints before, but if she's getting alt right people to watch her stuff and pull their heads out of their asses, good for her.

the reporter here, Elle Reeve, was the same reporter that was at Charlottesville for Vice, which was an amazing piece.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Are your friends adults? I think they can probably handle it. Send them the Incels video, its a somewhat tamer starting point.
It's not so much them being offended but rather I feel like if you're already a bit adverse to transfolk (most of my friends aren't bigots but I don't think they're exactly open to the concept) Natalie might scare you off, which I know she's mentioned before is a thing that other members of the community have levied as a criticism at her.

I don't mean to sound like I'm tone policing here or she should change her videos to suit a wider audience.

Altairre

Oct 25, 2017
She's doing some incredible work and it's a really great contrapoint to all the alt-right garbage on YT.

Kangi

Profile Styler
Oct 25, 2017
She poisoned my brain with knowledge of "bread scientist" guy and I've never been the same

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
She's got the right idea that it's not about facts with these people.

Few people seem to have caught on to this.