• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 82

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
is three arrows actually good? it always looked like a Shaun ripoff

I haven't watched nearly as many videos from him as from Shaun, and I do think Shaun is overall more interesting and more fun to listen too - love his deadpan sarcasm and cozy, chill tone of voice -, but he's alright. His videos tend to be longer and more history-focused, which is probably why I have a harder time focusing when I watch them (let's just say I'm an ignoramus when it comes to history).

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Whoa, she's actually reaching people on the right? That's awesome. She is a blessing

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I hate to be that guy, but on Earth are young right wing men gonna listen to a transwoman?

Deleted member 38573

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
That's interesting. As great as her stuff is, I've always thought of her content as more directed towards people that are left leaning anyway.

Someone like Destiny is more of a gateway for de-radicalising white guys. I'm not massively into the youtube community so don't hold me on any of that

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
I hate to be that guy, but on Earth are young right wing men gonna listen to a transwoman?
Being right wing isn't a chronic brain condition (except for the actual psychopaths that are among their ranks). If they actually give her videos a chance, they'll see someone who completely understands their mindset, and doesn't mince words when she dismantles the pillars supporting their worldview. She's an incredibly talented evangelist for that reason.

The issue of course is getting them to click on that first video.

Oct 26, 2017
This is one of the few channels I'm subscribed to. She's fantastic, and if she can actually bring some people back from the brink, then I can only hope her work inspires more like minded content creators

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
She does an amazing job, and has the perfect tone for these subjects.

She doesn't sympathize, but she understands the mindset and then refutes it, all with a great sense of humor. It's so easy to sneer at these guys and their dumb beliefs, but after a while it's just masturbation to merely mock them.

Atisha

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
I watch most lefty YouTubers and think "I could do this if I wasn't so lazy". Most of the time it's good content that's packaged well, but nothing really insightful.

Not with Natalie. I watch Contrapoints and think "...yeah, this person is much smarter than me".
She is well read.
And yeah...Ive seen her work its impressive.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
That's why she presents her facts with humor and an entertaining/dark/edgy style.

It's more than just facts. If I remember her incel video she somewhat sympathizes with them but points where they go wrong.

Same with the video on Peterson. She covers his views, acknowledges them and points out where he's totally full of shit.

It's not just a takedown.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
It's not so much them being offended but rather I feel like if you're already a bit adverse to transfolk (most of my friends aren't bigots but I don't think they're exactly open to the concept) Natalie might scare you off, which I know she's mentioned before is a thing that other members of the community have levied as a criticism at her.

I don't mean to sound like I'm tone policing here or she should change her videos to suit a wider audience.

If the videos might scare them off because it's made by and feature a trans woman then they are transphobic.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
She's doing a wonderful job. I watch her stuff alot

Edit: the comment section of the video has alot of people talking about how she helped them get away from the Alt right. Happy to see this.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Seen some of her videos, good stuff I think. I think the woman doing this spot about Contrapoints, also did the one about Incels for Vice.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
It's easy to think that there is no way they would because they hate everything about what they stand for right? Non-binary, changed their gender, etc... But I've seen trans friends go down that alt-right rabbit hole, and they're treated as the other people there's in, the proverbial "trans friend". It's mind boggling watching it unfold.

These people idolize content, they idolize reason, they don't care who is saying it, as long as it fits in their world view. You're with them or against them.

Oct 27, 2017
I've never watched her stuff but I really ought to. I enjoy a few other lefty channels on YouTube and I've just recently started watching Three Arrows.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
The influence of folks with a large platform generated right here

I wish many other people in that position would realise the good they can do with that power

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Her latest video brings me back to my teenage years where I was a black kid who wanted to pull off the goth look

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is definitely something about her videos that just draws you in and grabs attention. Hope she keeps up fighting the good fight.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
Always blows my mind when I read the Contrapoints comments and there are Jordan Peterson fans in there saying "I was all ready to hate this, but ..."

She rules.

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
She is one of the best people at what she does. Her videos are well made and have tons of production and talk about issues without sugar coating anything.

Hope she finds even more success because she definitely deserves it.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
That's interesting. As great as her stuff is, I've always thought of her content as more directed towards people that are left leaning anyway.

Someone like Destiny is more of a gateway for de-radicalising white guys. I'm not massively into the youtube community so don't hold me on any of that

She provides very high quality videos with great arguments so I do think she does a good job converting some of these alt-light types but I would agree that Destiny is probably the best person at de-radicalizing the right that's in the twitch/youtube sphere right now. I know he's not very well liked around here primarily because he acted pretty stupid on here but he genuinely cares beneath that edgy exterior, I am very confident in that and he regularly goes into the lions den completely dismantling a bunch of these guys with very sound logic and a very effective debate style.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
She provides very high quality videos with great arguments so I do think she does a good job converting some of these alt-light types but I would agree that Destiny is probably the best person at de-radicalizing the right that's in the twitch/youtube sphere right now. I know he's not very well liked around here primarily because he acted pretty stupid on here but he genuinely cares beneath that edgy exterior, I am very confident in that and he regularly goes into the lions den completely dismantling a bunch of these guys with very sound logic and a very effective debate style.

You may be right but I think Natalie's got more that rock star aura to her. I think she can go a lot farther.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Destiny is good for people who are on twitch and want long form, continuous content.

Contrapoints is good for people who came from stuff like Thatguywithglasses, 20-30 minute videos with jokes

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I also think it's funny how Philosophy Tube just straight up ripped off her lighting. With permission, I'm sure.

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, I am confused even after watching the OP video. Wouldn't the average alt-right shithead click off the video immediately after realizing she is trans? Or hell, how would they even find these videos if the algorithm bubble doesn't serve them?

SeroTyler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in Oklahoma, so at work I hear terrible things constantly at work and the like, and I eventually got a coworker to check out her incel video. As terrible as it is, he started to pay more attention when she refferred to herself using trans slurs, and eventually told me he watched pretty much her entire channel and has been much better about stuff like that since. Her "edgy" presentation is perfect for hooking those people in and getting to listen to something they usually wouldn't provided they aren't too far gone.

Last edited:

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I am confused even after watching the OP video. Wouldn't the average alt-right shithead click off the video immediately after realizing she is trans? Or hell, how would they even find these videos if the algorithm bubble doesn't serve them?

I guess some of these folks might approach the video from a " let me see what this trans woman has to say I bet she sucks!" mentality, only to realise not only is she right but that her content is consistently great as well. If the algorithms work as intended, they also get more left wing videos too.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl

The thing is she's a former edge lord and used to deny her trans status. She knows how there minds work and can make content that relates to it.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That Natalie is actually having some effect is so inspiring and amazing. She is really dragging herself through some ugly shit to do so, and has been doing so while transitioning in front of the world.

Goddamn is she strong.

I love that she knows she is risking (and has gotten) backlash from the LGBTQ community and leftists. She obviously cares more about actually affecting the alt-right than she does about being a purity-test darling.

Proud supporter of her Patreon, and completely comfortable with calling her a hero of mine.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017

They come to watch her videos with preconceived notions on what she's like and destroys thoae notions within minutes in her videos.

Plus the groups they hate is based on what their alt-right bubble told them. These are sheltered losers who have never interacted with anyone outside their manosphere.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They come to watch her videos with preconceived notions on what she's like and destroys thoae notions within minutes in her videos.

Plus the groups they hate is based on what their alt-right bubble told them. These are sheltered losers who have never interacted with anyone outside their manosphere.
Yep. This is why it works, because she has done the research and put in the work to try to understand them, then makes videos that can bridge the gap and appeal to whatever remnants of humanity they still have. It's a hell of a hail mary, but it works.

I just can't help but wonder how long she can keep it up. This kind of thing can eat up your life, and sustaining it takes a kind of mental and emotional constitution that one cannot exactly train for.