• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Altered World Events are a type of phenomena in Control

The Bright Falls incident was an AWE. Control is a stealth sequel to Alan Wake

See like... Normally spoilers can hurt people but man this actually makes me want to pick up Control now. I was only a bit interested but now I'm fully on board. I loved Alan Wake so much and sad we never got a sequel.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
Here we go!

220px-Alan_Wake_Game_Cover.jpg

Yes, people who played it are aware, but putting the Alan Wake artwork in the actual letters, and two of the letters easily spelling Alan Wake, I think this is Remedy being fluky teases and we're about to learn a double meaning.
This is almost assuredly the case.

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
Well, now I'm completely convinced that
their next project is Alan Wake 2 and a remaster of the original. That game would find an bigger audience now, especially after Control.

Very excited for that DLC, but I wish they'd kept it under wraps longer

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
I'm going to Spoiler this regarding Alan Wake and Control so read at your own peril...

This isn't just some coy "Oh, yeah, they reference Alan Wake in the game!" thing. Like, Alan Wake THE CHARACTER is in Control, you get a Hotline-sequel vision of him typing a manuscript where he also speaks as he's typing it. It's hidden in The Panopticon. It's created a rumour that Control is a story Alan is writing to free himself somehow.

OP
OP
derFeef

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
This is me using the thread to tell people to not sleep on Quantum Break if they like Control. It's surely even more interesting after having played Control as well.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Holy shit I figured we'd have to wait a few years for Alan Wake 2: Out Of Control but we are already getting it as a big-ass DLC FUCK YEAH \o/

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Not surprised about Alan Wake vibes

BRIGHT FALLS SUMMARY. SAME UNIVERSE YEEEAAAHHHH

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
See like... Normally spoilers can hurt people but man this actually makes me want to pick up Control now. I was only a bit interested but now I'm fully on board. I loved Alan Wake so much and sad we never got a sequel.

Dude you have no idea, there are A LOT of nods to Alan Wake as well as documents describing the events and response of the FBC to lake incident as well as items like the coffee cups and even one of the manuscript pages.

fluffy pillow

Sep 12, 2018
Absolutely cannot wait for these. There were so many times during Control where all I could do was shake my head and mutter about how much I love the idiots at Remedy. And Alan Wake is wonderful.

Very excited.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to Spoiler this regarding Alan Wake and Control so read at your own peril...

This isn't just some coy "Oh, yeah, they reference Alan Wake in the game!" thing. Like, Alan Wake THE CHARACTER is in Control, you get a Hotline-sequel vision of him typing a manuscript where the he also speaks as he's typing it. It's hidden in The Panopticon. It's created a rumour that Control is a story Alan is writing to free himself somehow
What??? I never found this!

AWE is indeed a term inside Control, but I'm half conviced it's secretly Alan Wake E-something.

Johnohno

Hero of Bowerstone
Nov 6, 2017
People seem to be missing that Wake is literally in the AWE logo and just assuming the font is the same. In the upper part of the W he's stood there with his torch.

Can't wait. Why does it have to be a year away :'(

MDR

Jun 21, 2018
Is AWE what I think it is lol? Like, literally Alan Wake Expansion?

AWE stands for
Altered World Events
and we can confirm that
Bright Falls, the city from Alan Wake
has been the place for such event, that info is seen trough
ingame documents, including one for the collectible thermos

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

*Static Noises" Prepare for Expansion/Sequel, Be ready to dive into Lake/Ocean

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

This isn't just some coy "Oh, yeah, they reference Alan Wake in the game!" thing. Like, Alan Wake THE CHARACTER is in Control, you get a Hotline-sequel vision of him typing a manuscript where the he also speaks as he's typing it. It's hidden in The Panopticon. It's created a rumour that Control is a story Alan is writing to free himself somehow
Both his stories and the oldest house seem to operate on the idea of subjective reality since certain elements of the book club articles that you find end up happening to people, along with the building changing once Jesse becomes the director. That said, I think he actually just exists as part of that universe. He likely shows up in the hotline because he was a candidate for the directorship as well, according to the files you find.

But yeah, this isn't just some kind of cameo and reference to the dev's previous games. It is blatantly within the same universe as Alan Wake.

Oct 25, 2017
I have like zero interest never touching the game again but I will definitely stay tuned once we get closer to mid 2020. Love me some Alan Wake.

Dream_Journey

Oct 25, 2017
When i saw lot of writing and references about Alan Wake in Control i had lot of goosebumps, holy shit, it's happening for real!!! "cries"

Now some lovely music time from Alan Wake! :D

Last edited:

modestb

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
I only just started playing through Alan Wake after finishing Control last week, and I'm STILL damn excited for this!!

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely loving this game, happy to play more of it when it comes!

Oct 27, 2017

This isn't just some coy "Oh, yeah, they reference Alan Wake in the game!" thing. Like, Alan Wake THE CHARACTER is in Control, you get a Hotline-sequel vision of him typing a manuscript where he also speaks as he's typing it. It's hidden in The Panopticon. It's created a rumour that Control is a story Alan is writing to free himself somehow.

Yeah, that was huge, no doubt about the connection. Kind of odd too as
Matthew Poretta voices/plays both Dr. Darling and Alan Wake very obviously, and you could make a stretch of Thomas Zane and Zachariah Trench playing very similar roles and both played by James McCaffery as well, so maybe there is something to that rumor. Or maybe it's just casting and that's as far as that goes.

Net_Wrecker

Oct 25, 2017
Day 1 for all of this.

The only thing that would make this better is some kind of New Game+, where even if you couldn't sequence skip by having all powers from the start, your inventory, upgrades, and collectables all carry over so that once you get the ability it's already maxed.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
I'm really curious how well photo mode is going to handle stuff like this - is it going to result in amazing screens or just a mess?:

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Remember when Remedy said Control was born from their initial plans for Alan Wake 2? Teehee!

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that was huge, no doubt about the connection. Kind of odd too as
Matthew Poretta voices/plays both Dr. Darling and Alan Wake very obviously, and you could make a stretch of Thomas Zane and Zachariah Trench playing very similar roles and both played by James McCaffery as well, so maybe there is something to that rumor. Or maybe it's just casting and that's as far as that goes.
I wouldn't take it as anything more than they have a couple of actors that they like to consistently work with. They'll probably use it to do something fun though.