• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
Dude you have no idea, there are A LOT of nods to Alan Wake as well as documents describing the events and response of the FBC to lake incident as well as items like the coffee cups and even one of the manuscript pages.
Control legitimately continues the Alan Wake plot further than either DLC episode for AW or American Nightmare did - part of the reason I was pretty underwhelmed by them. I was expecting some sort of Easter egg in Control that tied the games together, but I was not expecting this game - and presumably the expansions - to act as something of an actual Alan Wake follow-up. Really cool.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
Did the most recent patch fix the performance on Base PS4? I want to jump in really badly!
In general it's better than it was but there are still occasions where there's too much going on and it gets bad for a few seconds.

I've never died due to the performance though so for me its not a game breaker and I wouldn't call it unplayable.

I would still heartily recommend it if you're into Remedy's games though, it's their best game yet for me, performance issues be damned.

Just know what you're getting into and prepare for it or hold off until it's cheaper or even until next gen if it's likely going to be a thing that'll piss you off.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, that was huge, no doubt about the connection. Kind of odd too as
Matthew Poretta voices/plays both Dr. Darling and Alan Wake very obviously, and you could make a stretch of Thomas Zane and Zachariah Trench playing very similar roles and both played by James McCaffery as well, so maybe there is something to that rumor. Or maybe it's just casting and that's as far as that goes.

Yeah, that's just casting. Thomas Zane is directly referenced in Control as someone who existed at some point before the things described in Alan Wake happened.

OP
OP
derFeef

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
giphy.gif

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yo, that is literally Alan Wake. Guess they've sold a copy of the game then, I've been meaning to pick up the game at a later date, guess this means I'll do it when the second expansion pack drops.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so fucking happy that Remedy decided to not get scooped up by a big publisher. When they are able to be scrappy and make what they want, even if they have to cut corners to do it, the end result is all the better.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow I did not know about the timed exclusivity for the first expansion. That fucking sucks.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
Guess I won't be able to play the Expansion for a while. Forgot about that fact when I got it another platform Lol

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that's just casting. Thomas Zane is directly referenced in Control as someone who existed at some point before the things described in Alan Wake happened.
isn't the line from the therapist regarding Jesse mentioning the poem by Thomas saying that she looked it up and could not find a poet by the name of Thomas Zane?

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
isn't the line from the therapist regarding Jesse mentioning the poem by Thomas saying that she looked it up and could not find a poet by the name of Thomas Zane?

Yeah, because Zane wrote himself out of existence, which is something we find out during Alan Wake. Because of Jesse's powers, she is one of the only people who still remembers him. It's 100% in line with the word established in Alan Wake though and means that Zane and Trench both existed in this universe independent from each other.

Reading too much into this casting wouldn't make much sense in the context of the story imo, plus it ignores that Remedy just likes to recast certain actors in their games.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Alright, so Remedy owns Alan Wake, right? Is it about to come to PS4? Or at the very least be available to purchase on Xbox? I know it's on PC, but my laptop can't run it.

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
I love this game so much,so more crazy/surreal content is always good news for me.
I really hope it becomes a franchise,they said the ingame lore/universe allows them to do whatever they want story wise.

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
I love this game so much,so more crazy/surreal content is always good news for me.
I really hope it becomes a franchise,they said the ingame lore/universe allows them to do whatever they want story wise.
I would really dig an episodic spin-off about FBC agents dealing with AWEs around the world.

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
Sucks that the first expansion will be limited for PS4 for a while, hopefully, won't be too long. Will be there whenever it hits XB1

and yeah, that second one, so many Alan Wake's vibes, but thats not very surprising. Extremely exciting though
Same. Do we know when it will be available to all yet? Won't jump in any earlier.

That said, glad to see Alan Wake and I'm sure l'll love this game... one day.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
That's 100% Alan Wake, they know what they're teasing their audience with there.

I also feel they may know what they're doing with Foundation, as that is rather on the nose for the SCP influence, I won't be surprised if that expansion goes in a deeper SCP direction. Though honestly, an SCP and an Alan Wake expansion for Control both would be really rad.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
That's 100% Alan Wake, they know what they're teasing their audience with there.

I also feel they may know what they're doing with Foundation, as that is rather on the nose for the SCP influence, I won't be surprised if that expansion goes in a deeper SCP direction. Though honestly, an SCP and an Alan Wake expansion for Control both would be really rad.

In this case, Foundation

is literal, referring to the foundation of The Oldest House. It's a somewhat mysterious location you visit briefly that may shed light on the nature of the entire setting of the game.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo - Brazil
In this case, Foundation

is literal, referring to the foundation of The Oldest House. It's a somewhat mysterious location you visit briefly that may shed light on the nature of the entire setting of the game.

Yes, from the blogpost:

"The Foundation will delve into the history of the Oldest House. At the request of the ever-mysterious Board, Jesse must explore what lies beneath the Bureau as she returns order to the Foundation and the Oldest House itself. Expect things to get weird."

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
This news just made my purchase likelihood go from "maybe" to "day one."

"Day one" meaning the day the completed game launches on Xbox, of course.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
In this case, Foundation

Absolutely, it's the roots of the Oldest House, but part of it should be secrets and things left to be forgotten, there's definitely going to be deeper story stuff there. However, I won't be surprised even in the least if Foundation goes a bit further with the SCP Foundation influence either.

Nov 15, 2017
Love the triple use of the word.

AWE is Altered World Event
AWE is Alan Wake Expansion
AWE is A l a n W a k E

I don't think I'm reaching with that last one either they did the same thing with M o n A s a X

or it's a neat coincidence.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
Same. Do we know when it will be available to all yet? Won't jump in any earlier.

That said, glad to see Alan Wake and I'm sure l'll love this game... one day.

I believe they havent talked about the duration of this exclusivity, sadly

Yep. When you play the game and then see the general theme of these additions, it makes so much sense of why that's the stuff they choose to touch on expansions.

Crazed

Oct 25, 2017
It's happening isn't it? I really need to pick up Control, just haven't had the time and I love me some Remedy games (especially Wake).

AW2 Soon™!!!