• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
I believe they havent talked about the duration of this exclusivity, sadly

Yep. When you play the game and then see the general theme of these additions, it makes so much sense of why that's the stuff they choose to touch on expansions.
Ugh. But they did say it's only timed exclusive, right? Well, between Hollow Knight and Gears 5 I don't have any time for anything else anyway haha

Oct 28, 2017
That's Alan Wake?!

cFldhvC.png
Yoooo that's rad as hell.

wallmeat

Oct 28, 2017
I'm still cleaning up side content in Control and I've started playing Alan Wake again, so seeing this image fills me with the kind of joy I needed this morning. Hope we get a "previously, on Alan Wake" moment in there somewhere.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
A bit/a lot off topic but I want to ask you something if you don't mind. Being a Horror Enthusiast, what did yu think of Control from a horror standpoint? It's not an horror game in the tradtional sense, but it does have very spooky elements and a fantastic atmosphere.
I haven't had a chance to sit down and play all of it yet, but my impressions of what I have and my taste is approval. One element of horror I've always loved is how broad of a genre it is, you can literally attach a bit of horror to anything and it'll work and probably have interesting results. I kinda' knew even before it launched it was going to have some SCP influence and surrealistic elements that'd have a few dips in horror but never go all in as it's more an action game. But the aesthetic and atmosphere are there as you mentioned, along with a few story beats, and I think it's an excellent addition to the world.

I have broader taste in horror than most people I know, but I liken it a bit to Kubrick's works in some ways, maybe more Space Odyssey than The Shining, but even in Kubrick's non-horror films there's still a small thing there that I find to be appealing up the creek of horror.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe someone can correct me...

ALAN WAKE'S AMERICAN NIGHTMARE spoilers:

He never escaped, right? Like isn't he still trapped in the Dark place?

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
it is, and at least with this we learned that the second expansion will ship on the same day for all the platforms, so that's some good news
True. I hope all versions are equal by the time the Alan Wake stuff hits. I refuse to buy stuff for the same price while getting less content than others. This practice needs to die this gen.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe someone can correct me...

ALAN WAKE'S AMERICAN NIGHTMARE spoilers:

He never escaped, right? Like isn't he still trapped in the Dark place?

Alan Wake is still trapped in the dark place by the end of American Nightmare. However, I suspect he'll be "free" pretty soon, as on-top of this Alan Wake DLC expansion coming to Control there's also an upcoming TV series.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Have there been any news on that second thing mentioned in your spoiler, btw?
Not recently, but I suspect we'll hear news of it next year. The only bit of "news" is Remedy bought the rights to sell/publish the first Alan Wake game from Microsoft a few months back. So there's probably a PS4 port incoming.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I haven't had a chance to sit down and play all of it yet, but my impressions of what I have and my taste is approval. One element of horror I've always loved is how broad of a genre it is, you can literally attach a bit of horror to anything and it'll work and probably have interesting results. I kinda' knew even before it launched it was going to have some SCP influence and surrealistic elements that'd have a few dips in horror but never go all in as it's more an action game. But the aesthetic and atmosphere are there as you mentioned, along with a few story beats, and I think it's an excellent addition to the world.

I have broader taste in horror than most people I know, but I liken it a bit to Kubrick's works in some ways, maybe more Space Odyssey than The Shining, but even in Kubrick's non-horror films there's still a small thing there that I find to be appealing up the creek of horror.

Cool. I hope you can get to play it all soon. It's a fantastic game.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
Is American Nightmare canon?
Yes it is, but it's importance is not a whole lot. Though Alan Wake's American Nightmare's villain is very memorable and much better than the first game's.
Yeah, there's some good stuff in the Alan Wake DLC episodes and American Nightmare, but from a story standpoint they are completely skippable if you played the first game. Alan is, more or less, still in the same state he was in at the end of the main game.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Welp looks like we'll find out what happened to Marshall more than likely. Any pricing details? This seems like it will cost. Also AWE stands for Alan Wake Everything. Got it guys ;) Seriously though looking forward to that Alan wake DLC!

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I'm not sure which I would love more that Alan Wake, Cauldron Lake, Dark Place/Presence, etc were just an AWE and part of a larger and wacky-er world that the FBC monitors and tries to understand or if the FBC, AWEs, The Board, etc and everything we learned of in Control were just creations of Alan's in order to help him escape the Dark Place and defeat the Dark Presence once and for all. 10 years is a lot of time to write up a pretty elaborate and intricate story...

Both would be really cool and have a lot of appeal.

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
Alan is also mentioned in QB,Jack says he likes his novels.
So maybe they are all connected after all,missing a connection with Max Payne though.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Alright, so Remedy owns Alan Wake, right? Is it about to come to PS4? Or at the very least be available to purchase on Xbox? I know it's on PC, but my laptop can't run it.

Alan Wake are available to purchase on Xbox, but you'll need to use the disc version as it was delisted from all online places.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Alan is also mentioned in QB,Jack says he likes his novels.
So maybe they are all connected after all,missing a connection with Max Payne though.

There is one, albeit a bit loose one: Dylan talks about a dream with Mr. Door, and a door that leads to a world where a writer wrote a story about a cop, and another world where that cop story was true. I believe it's a reference to our world and Max Payne's.