• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
Alan is also mentioned in QB,Jack says he likes his novels.
So maybe they are all connected after all,missing a connection with Max Payne though.
Are they?

In one of Dylan's dreams, he talks vaguely about Alan Wake and his cop character. He mentions that, in another reality, that cop is real. It seems like they're hinting at Max Payne without being able to say it.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
There is one, albeit a bit loose one: Dylan talks about a dream with Mr. Door, and a door that leads to a world where a writer wrote a story about a cop, and another world where that cop story was true. I believe it's a reference to our world and Max Payne's.

I don't think it was our world. I think it was Alan Wake and Max Payne's. Alan Wake wrote a series of books about "Alex Casey" which were suspiciously similar to Max Payne's life.

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
There is one, albeit a bit loose one: Dylan talks about a dream with Mr. Door, and a door that leads to a world where a writer wrote a story about a cop, and another world where that cop story was true. I believe it's a reference to our world and Max Payne's.

Are they?

In one of Dylan's dreams, he talks vaguely about Alan Wake and his cop character. He mentions that, in another reality, that cop is real. It seems like they're hinting at Max Payne without being able to say it.
Oh man,how did i miss that reference? Lol

Regarding "AWE" and Alan Wake. From a chalkboard you come across in Quantum Break:

Damn,my tinfoil hat is on fire today

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Is this where Sam Lake pulls a Toby Fox and reveals that Control has been in development since before Alan Wake?

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I wouldn't go that far, however it's likely that the concept behind Control existed in some form back then. Also consider how many artistic/thematic similarities it shares with Quantum Break.

We do know they've had ideas for Alan Wake 2 rattling around since the first one, but didn't end up doing anything with them. Maybe Control came from there.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Regarding "AWE" and Alan Wake. From a chalkboard you come across in Quantum Break:

Oh fuck off, that's some brutal ass foreshadowing.
Remedy.

586792522693476362.png

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
The upcoming additions all sound great. In the near term the added endgame stuff is nice. More involved Alan Wake stuff could be really cool. I bought an Xbox exclusively to play Alan Wake, so hell yeah. Maybe bring on a remaster soon... ?

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I will just wait for the definitive edition on ps5. I already knew of the dlc but with the game having issues on consoles, I might as well wait.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Think I need to buy the season pass. It's one of those cases where the world they've built out of this game was so compelling that I desperately wanted more "microtales" to interact within in it, but alas I've now completed everything I could find in the core game.

The way I appreciate this games weirdness even makes small DLC compelling, but I hope it's quite robust.

Nov 2, 2017
I enjoyed the hell out of Control and all the references to Alan Wake were interesting. Seeing how the 2nd expansion looks to be diving more into that franchise how spooky are the Alan Wake games? Horror is a genre I don't mess with and Alan Wake seemed to be in the thick of it from my perspective.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I enjoyed the hell out of Control and all the references to Alan Wake were interesting. Seeing how the 2nd expansion looks to be diving more into that franchise how spooky are the Alan Wake games? Horror is a genre I don't mess with and Alan Wake seemed to be in the thick of it from my perspective.

Spookier than Control, but not as spooky as dedicated horror games. What's your upper limit on horror aspects in games?

Oct 25, 2017
Super excited to be getting some Alan Wake crossover content. At this point I'll take any Alan Wake. I've run into a couple AW references in Control but I hope to see more in the base game.

OP
OP
derFeef

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
It's more like thick atmosphere than horror. Nothing nasty or jump-scary can happen if this is your fear.

Nugnip

Oct 25, 2017
Alan Wake is definitely more tense, and most of it takes place at night. But it's not an horror game.

Nov 2, 2017
Spookier than Control, but not as spooky as dedicated horror games. What's your upper limit on horror aspects in games?

I guess jump scares and crazy monsters/people chasing you. The last scariest thing I've played was that power generator sequence from The Last of Us.

It's more like thick atmosphere than horror. Nothing nasty or jump-scary can happen if this is your fear.
Alan Wake is definitely more tense, and most of it takes place at night. But it's not an horror game.

Well, that's good to hear. I see the both 1 and 2 are on steam, so I will probably pick it up.

Last edited:

ascagnel

Mar 29, 2018
A bit/a lot off topic but I want to ask you something if you don't mind. Being a Horror Enthusiast, what did yu think of Control from a horror standpoint? It's not an horror game in the tradtional sense, but it does have very spooky elements and a fantastic atmosphere.

Control is horror in the same way that Twin Peaks is horror (and I would say, on the whole, Control has more than a few David Lynch-style touches). Alan Wake took a lot from Stephen King, and Quantum Break was maybe a little more Kubrick (especially 60s/70s Shining/Clockwork Orange Kubrick).

Oct 25, 2017
Control is horror in the same way that Twin Peaks is horror (and I would say, on the whole, Control has more than a few David Lynch-style touches). Alan Wake took a lot from Stephen King, and Quantum Break was maybe a little more Kubrick (especially 60s/70s Shining/Clockwork Orange Kubrick).
Alan Wake is positively dripping in Lynch. Strong Stephen King influences too of course, but Twin Peaks is front-and-center in AW.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I guess jump scares and crazy monsters/people chasing you. The last scariest thing I've played was that power generator sequence from The Last of Us.

For the vast majority of the game you have the means to defend yourself and kill the enemies, which are largely people covered in shadows and possessed objects. I don't remember many jumpscares, but I think there are some quick cuts in a few cutscenes that are intended to startle. It's very much atmosphere over outright scares.

AWizardDidIt

Oct 28, 2017
Control is some kind of miracle. I'm so happy Remedy is getting a chance to do this (and I get to experience it)

ascagnel

Mar 29, 2018
Alan Wake is positively dripping in Lynch. Strong Stephen King influences too of course, but Twin Peaks is front-and-center in AW.
I really, really need to replay Alan Wake (I played it on release without having seen TP, so most of that is drawing parallels from memory).

Twin Peaks is the Velvet Underground of the 00s and 10s. It may have been reasonably popular at first, but it seems like everyone who saw it went on to make their own crazy shit.

Oct 27, 2017
United States

Yeah, just a hunch, but who wonders if this may have been kind of planned for quantum break, qb bombed, and they adapted the idea for control? Knowing american nightmare is put together from concepts and work done on an alan wake 2 at the time, remedy HAS been known to repurpose their ideas.

Either way, holy shit, I cant wait for this. I need me more alan wake.

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
Looks like I'll be checking back in in December. Expeditions sounds exactly like what I want, since there isn't much incentive to explore after beating the game as is and the combat situations are really fun.

Dogenzaka

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 20, 2019
Games really need to stop adding photo mode after launch. I'll miss out on the photo mode for this game just like I did with God of War. :(

Runner

Nov 1, 2017
I understand "The Foundation" has a specific meaning in this context but man is that on the nose to title a DLC that

Cth

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Wasn't Ordinary referenced in QB somewhere?

I thought I read that somewhere.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, just a hunch, but who wonders if this may have been kind of planned for quantum break, qb bombed, and they adapted the idea for control? Knowing american nightmare is put together from concepts and work done on an alan wake 2 at the time, remedy HAS been known to repurpose their ideas.

Either way, holy shit, I cant wait for this. I need me more alan wake.

Sam Lake went on record with IGN that Control was born out of them trying to make a version of Alan Wake 2. It then became its own thing. As I playing the game, I was like, "Heh, yeah, I can totally see how this has its roots in Alan Wake"... but little did I fucking know!

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
I might pick up Alan Wake on Steam and give it a playthrough. How does it hold up these days? Haven't played since launch.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
How's the performance on PS4 Pro? Debating if getting it on PC or PS4. It's mainly a problem of space.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
And there were some Max Payne references and easter eggs in Alan Wake, for example two manuscripts that were really close to how Max Payne had inner monoloques in MP1+2 and they are even voiced by James McCaffrey (voice of Max in all MP games and Max even has his face in MP3)

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn I really want this game but not for 60. Urgh.