• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
I really, really need to replay Alan Wake (I played it on release without having seen TP, so most of that is drawing parallels from memory).

Twin Peaks is the Velvet Underground of the 00s and 10s. It may have been reasonably popular at first, but it seems like everyone who saw it went on to make their own crazy shit.
I love the cultural and art influence that Twin Peaks has had. I can never get enough of it.

I might pick up Alan Wake on Steam and give it a playthrough. How does it hold up these days? Haven't played since launch.
The combat gets tiresome, and has aged pretty poorly. I wish Nightmare mode was unlocked from the get-go, because it feels like the way the game was meant to be played. It forces the player to run from a lot of engagements, which really adds to the tension. It's still one of my top-5 games all time, but it's undeniable that some parts of the game were never great. Like the character facial animations, which are kind of unintentionally nightmarish.

Still though, playing through Alan Wake in 4K is an incredible, atmospheric experience.

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So they decided to opt for a Photo Mode instead of pursuing HDR and they didn't even deliver the photo mode at launch? That's some bullshit.

modestb

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
I might pick up Alan Wake on Steam and give it a playthrough. How does it hold up these days? Haven't played since launch.

I've been playing it for the first time this week after finishing Control (and I got it for free from Epic), and it is definitely very very good. The game is very 360/PS3 era, areas are designed to seem wide open but are just mostly fancy corridors, enemy variety is ABYSMAL, and every level boils down to "You are in the dark scary woods, get to the place with light", but it has solid mechanics and visual design along with a very interesting story. I haven't finished it but if you can get a good deal for it, its definitely worth the time investment IMO

modestb

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Damn I really want this game but not for 60. Urgh.

Control is the first game I've bought for 60 dollars in YEARS. I got my money's worth*

*I played on PC where there's no framerate issues and I experienced no crashes or glitches in my 15~hr playthrough

I've been playing it for the first time this week after finishing Control (and I got it for free from Epic), and it is definitely very very good. The game is very 360/PS3 era, areas are designed to seem wide open but are just mostly fancy corridors, enemy variety is ABYSMAL, and every level boils down to "You are in the dark scary woods, get to the place with light", but it has solid mechanics and visual design along with a very interesting story. I haven't finished it but if you can get a good deal for it, its definitely worth the time investment IMO

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
'This House of Dreams' (as seen on that chalk board in Quantum Break) was set in Ordinary. There was some weird in universe blog posts from back in the day, although plans do seem to have changed for what Ordinary is.

Been a while since I read this, but... well... dive in.

Last edited:

Luke_wal

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still cleaning up side content in Control and I've started playing Alan Wake again, so seeing this image fills me with the kind of joy I needed this morning. Hope we get a "previously, on Alan Wake" moment in there somewhere.

If Jesse meets Alan Wake (the character), and there's not immediately a "previously, on Alan Wake," I will be deeply disappointed in this video game that I love.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yes, people who played it are aware, but putting the Alan Wake artwork in the actual letters, and two of the letters easily spelling Alan Wake, I think this is Remedy being fluky teases and we're about to learn a double meaning.
Altered World Events are a type of phenomena in Control

The Bright Falls incident was an AWE. Control is a stealth sequel to Alan Wake
That's 100% Alan Wake, they know what they're teasing their audience with there.

I also feel they may know what they're doing with Foundation, as that is rather on the nose for the SCP influence, I won't be surprised if that expansion goes in a deeper SCP direction. Though honestly, an SCP and an Alan Wake expansion for Control both would be really rad.
the connection/double meaning has been there for years, you just had to know where to look. here's a screenshot from quantum break i just captured-- look at the bottom left of the chalkboard

45jX0UK.jpg

xNo775P.png

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Still early in the game.
But already excited to get more Control.

Remedy hasnt made anything I hated and I actually really enjoyed Quantum Break.
Control though I am absolutely enjoying I was feeling slightly depressed when I realized I was powering through it....trying to slow down but legit dont know how to....knowing that theres expansions coming gives me some solace.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
I have half a dozen new games I could be playing, but instead I'm redownloading Alan Wake and American Nightmare.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
so damn cool. there was also references to Ordinary in some Alan Wake marketing stuff. and "it will happen again in another town called Ordinary."

I wonder how much they had planned this out in advance?
Going from this:

Back in 2012, the FBC was going to be called AWE, the Ordinary AWE hadn't happened yet (which begs questions about when Control is set if they are going to try and keep the mention of Ordinary in American Nightmare and This House of Dreams canon, although I expect they won't).

So I think plans changed. It seems like Ordinary was going to be the setting for an Alan Wake 2 (The Return) and it was going to feature the AWE in some way.

This morphed into a game focused on the AWE (now the FBC) and some of the ideas for the events that were going to take place in Ordinary, presumably became the basis for the Ordinary AWE we hear about in Control. The Not Mother, and all that uber creepy shit were presumably part of that concept. It really stands out as being tonally different (in a good way) and having a lot of thought put into it, when it could have just been 'stuff went bad, adults all disappeared' etc. Instead it's a timeline of events, multiple locations, slides, and entities, etc.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is Quantum Break in the same universe?
seems that way! the connections aren't as explicit as with Alan Wake, but considering all the AWE stuff littered around that game, the stutter phenomena and the "break" in time seems potentially like another altered world event.
but as plagiarize said, the game also discusses this idea of "many worlds existing side by side" with doors between the worlds. Alan Wake and Control seem like they are definitely the same world, and it's strongly hinted that Max Payne is another parallel world
Is Quantum Break actually any good?
yeah, it is. it's worth playing. it's not nearly as good as Control but for my money Control is also one of the best games I've ever played, so it's a high bar.
Going from this:

Back in 2012, the FBC was going to be called AWE, the Ordinary AWE hadn't happened yet (which begs questions about when Control is set if they are going to try and keep the mention of Ordinary in American Nightmare and This House of Dreams canon, although I expect they won't).

So I think plans changed. It seems like Ordinary was going to be the setting for an Alan Wake 2 (The Return) and it was going to feature the AWE in some way.

This morphed into a game focused on the AWE (now the FBC) and some of the ideas for the events that were going to take place in Ordinary, presumably became the basis for the Ordinary AWE we hear about in Control. The Not Mother, and all that uber creepy shit were presumably part of that concept. It really stands out as being tonally different (in a good way) and having a lot of thought put into it, when it could have just been 'stuff went bad, adults all disappeared' etc. Instead it's a timeline of events, multiple locations, slides, and entities, etc.
yeah, interesting. I'm sure plans changed along the way, but it's cool that they had a rough idea of where this is going so far back. Lake really loves that storytelling technique from Lost where they'll show something that seems mundane and then keep returning to the same sequence and revealing more and more significance

teague

Dec 17, 2018
So did we figure out exactly when DLC will be hitting Xbox? Apologies if someone posted the answer already.

Oct 28, 2017
seems that way! the connections aren't as explicit as with Alan Wake, but considering all the AWE stuff littered around that game, the stutter phenomena and the "break" in time seems potentially like another altered world event

yeah, it is. it's worth playing. it's not nearly as good as Control but for my money Control is also one of the best games I've ever played, so it's a high bar.

yeah, interesting. I'm sure plans changed along the way, but it's cool that they had a rough idea of where this is going so far back. Lake really loves that storytelling technique from Lost where they'll show something that seems mundane and then keep returning to the same sequence and revealing more and more significance

Cool. I guess I'll play it after I beat Control.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Cool. I guess I'll play it after I beat Control.
it's kind of hard to go back to QB right after Control (which is what I did too) because the movement is so much less fluid and the shooting is less responsive than in Control. they really have massively massively improved so many things from QB

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
it's kind of hard to go back to QB right after Control (which is what I did too) because the movement is so much less fluid and the shooting is less responsive than in Control. they really have massively massively improved so many things from QB
I'm tempted to finally get that Steam version so I can actually experience it with good performance. It's still all over the place in the DX12 version even on a 2080 Ti.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm tempted to finally get that Steam version so I can actually experience it with good performance. It's still all over the place in the DX12 version even on a 2080 Ti.
to be fair, the DX11/win32 version is still kinda all over the place, especially if you turn off the reconstruction. But it's definitely better than the UWP version

Jon God

Oct 28, 2017
I already bought this game. Should I buy more copies to support the hope of Alan Wake 2?

A1an

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Looks good, interested in what the second DLC is going to be, still working my way through the main game.

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Control talks of many realities and bridges between them. Max Payne and Quantum Break seem like different realities to the one Control takes place in. Jesse Fayden and Alan Wake are very clearly from the same universe.

Whereas Alan Wake I think is set in the same universe, objects of power describe most of the weird shit in the game (aka the type writer)

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
Sorry for the noob outsider of interest question but are consoles expected to have the performance issues addressed? Are they as bad as some have made it seem?

Oneandonly16

Mar 11, 2019
If more
Control talks of many realities and bridges between them. Max Payne and Quantum Break seem like different realities to the one Control takes place in. Jesse Fayden and Alan Wake are very clearly from the same universe.

I think the Alan Wake is mentioned directly in Quantum Break. I think the 3 of them are all of the same universe with Max Payne being the outlier.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
My hope is that "expeditions" is a rogue-like/rogue-lite gameplay mode where you set out and acquire random powers/weapons while fighting against progressively difficult enemies/randomly generated areas everytime you set out on an expedition youd get a uniquely generated biome/tileset!

That prey dlc was cool when they did that.

Mr Delabee

Oct 25, 2017
UK
May 2020 will be Alan Wake's 10th Anniversary, would be great if they had a remaster heading out next year but I'll happily take the Control DLC.

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are they?

In one of Dylan's dreams, he talks vaguely about Alan Wake and his cop character. He mentions that, in another reality, that cop is real. It seems like they're hinting at Max Payne without being able to say it.

I think that cop is agent nightingale (the FBI agent in Alan wake). He had reoccurring dreams of Alan Wake, which is what drove him to the town in the first place. There was another guy too who had dreams with Alan Wake in a them (that intro sequence, the person who helps you over the bridge, he's called Clay Stewart, and his journal in the collectors edition documents his dreams and journey of looking for Alan).

So basically there's a bunch of people having dreams with Alan Wake in them, and unless you bought the collectors edition, you probably would have missed it.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
If more

I think the Alan Wake is mentioned directly in Quantum Break. I think the 3 of them are all of the same universe with Max Payne being the outlier.
I think it's pretty telling that Remedy don't own the publishing rights to Quantum Break (while they DO own the publishing rights to Alan Wake), and that Control has little to no references to Quantum Break.