• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
Is Quantum Break actually any good?
I liked it, overall, and I think it gets maligned a lot more than it deserves. The story is really cool and finding lore details throughout the levels was enjoyable, much like in Control. The big difference is that I just didn't care much for the combat in QB at all, whereas Control is a lot of fun. The live action stuff between playable missions wasn't good, either. It's my least-favorite Remedy game, but I don't think it's a bad game. If you like the storytelling and world-building of other Remedy games, then QB is certainly worth checking out.

Going from this:

Back in 2012, the FBC was going to be called AWE, the Ordinary AWE hadn't happened yet (which begs questions about when Control is set if they are going to try and keep the mention of Ordinary in American Nightmare and This House of Dreams canon, although I expect they won't).

So I think plans changed. It seems like Ordinary was going to be the setting for an Alan Wake 2 (The Return) and it was going to feature the AWE in some way.

This morphed into a game focused on the AWE (now the FBC) and some of the ideas for the events that were going to take place in Ordinary, presumably became the basis for the Ordinary AWE we hear about in Control. The Not Mother, and all that uber creepy shit were presumably part of that concept. It really stands out as being tonally different (in a good way) and having a lot of thought put into it, when it could have just been 'stuff went bad, adults all disappeared' etc. Instead it's a timeline of events, multiple locations, slides, and entities, etc.
I think you're spot-on with all of this. It's less that Remedy "had this planned all along", and more that these were references to the planned story of Alan Wake 2 that are now references to Control because that's the game they ended up making.

(If "AWE" expansion does in fact go in a certain direction where Jesse is necessary in aiding Alan's escape, we could go all meta with it and take it to mean that Remedy needed Control (the game) to bring back Alan Wake (the game/series). In this thread and the Control spoiler thread, I saw some theories floating around about P6/Dylan referring to Project 6/Quantum Break and P7/Jesse referencing Project 7/Control, and how something similar to "AWE" may have been planned as QB DLC but is now coming to fruition as part of Control. Probably overthinking it, but it's fun speculation nonetheless!)

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I don't think it was our world. I think it was Alan Wake and Max Payne's. Alan Wake wrote a series of books about "Alex Casey" which were suspiciously similar to Max Payne's life.

It's possible, the reference was very vague in the first place. But I would argue that if it was Alan Wake, Dylan wouldn't refer to it as another reality (although I'm not sure if he does) because Alan Wake exists in the same one he and Jesse do.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Is Quantum Break in the same universe? Is Quantum Break actually any good?

I love Max Payne 1/2 and Alan Wake.

Quantum Break was a big stumble I found. It lacked the cohesive tone of wit and mystery, that the prior games(and Control) delivered. Felt too self-serious and convoluted given a rather basic premise.

The combat lacked impact despite some cool powers. You mix gunplay and time abilities, but the enemies are too spongey, your guns lacked reaction and precision. It felt like I was spraying and praying mostly whereas other Remedy titles have a more skillful approach and tactile feel to shooting.

The collectibles were weak and surprisingly dull. No real side diversions other than a scant few discoveries that slightly alter the fmv episodes(that aren't that interesting).

It's a giant Macguffin hunt that loses focus and spends most of its time trying to Doc Brown you with multiple chalkboard explanations. One of the most disappointing games this gen for me. :(

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
It's possible, the reference was very vague in the first place. But I would argue that if it was Alan Wake, Dylan wouldn't refer to it as another reality (although I'm not sure if he does) because Alan Wake exists in the same one he and Jesse do.

Hrm, good point.

I think it's still possible, though. He specifically talks about seeing several worlds, and "In one world, there's a writer who wrote a story about a cop. In another world, the cop was real." He never specifies the relationship of either to the world Control takes place in, and he's more getting into the relationships between the differing worlds, and not necessarily just what he saw in them.

Also, he's apparently receiving the visions from The Hiss or Mr. Door, so they'd perceive Dylan's world as a "different" world than their own, too.

Plenty of wiggle room either way, but I think them choosing this specific, established example rather something else tilts the needle towards Alan and Max.

Apoplectoad

Mar 15, 2019
Did they ever put out a blu-ray of the Bright Falls web series? That is something I would like to own. Control is the first game I have completely dove into the lore since Alan Wake.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Holy wow

tT1gJtn.gif

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017

I liked it but it's a clear step back from control

Dull characters, story is fairly standard time travel fare, fun powers but not as smooth feeling as control.

It doesn't have a very conclusive ending either so it might not be worth investing into since a sequel might never happen

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I love the idea that Control itself was basically just a sneaky backdoor route to creating more Alan Wake content that nobody wanted to publish on its own.

But for real, this all looks wonderful. Control was fantastic, so I'm well down for more. Throwing Alan Wake into the mix is just icing on the cake.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Hrm, good point.

I think it's still possible, though. He specifically talks about seeing several worlds, and "In one world, there's a writer who wrote a story about a cop. In another world, the cop was real." He never specifies the relationship of either to the world Control takes place in, and he's more getting into the relationships between the differing worlds, and not necessarily just what he saw in them.

Also, he's apparently receiving the visions from The Hiss or Mr. Door, so they'd perceive Dylan's world as a "different" world than their own, too.

Plenty of wiggle room either way, but I think them choosing this specific, established example rather something else tilts the needle towards Alan and Max.

It's vague enough that we can really tell. Regardless, the important thing is: Max lives! And I choose to believe Mona does too!

TripOpt55

Oct 25, 2017
Wow. Super cool. Got the digital version with the season pass or whatever on an impulse buy one night (was having a bad day and just wanted to get the game immediately after initially thinking I'd wait 🤷🏻‍♂️). Looks like the expansions should at least be pretty dope. Ended up loving Control and of course I loved Alan Wake too!

Kaizer

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait! Control has been one of my favorite gaming experiences of the year so far, definitely looking forward to coming back to it next year for more story content. Remedy really knocked out the park with this one.

Deleted member 56580

User requested account closure
Banned
May 8, 2019

quantum break is like dragon ball z with guns and slow mo being applied to existence itself aswell as your characters / enemies

it's a clumsy exercise in style but the presentation and fire fights intensity are for real ASLONG as you don't play it like a cover shooter, because its the opposite of that

which is ultimately what a lot of people didn't like, its a very aggressive playstyle oriented game

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
the connection/double meaning has been there for years, you just had to know where to look. here's a screenshot from quantum break i just captured-- look at the bottom left of the chalkboard

45jX0UK.jpg

xNo775P.png

....Damnit, do I need to play/experience Quantum Break to get the full Remedy Universe Experience OTL ?

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't take it as anything more than they have a couple of actors that they like to consistently work with. They'll probably use it to do something fun though.

That is what I figure personally but it's jie super blatant with
the connection/double meaning has been there for years, you just had to know where to look. here's a screenshot from quantum break i just captured-- look at the bottom left of the chalkboard

45jX0UK.jpg

xNo775P.png

Interesting, never played QB sadly, the only Remedy game I skipped so I never saw that