• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017

Yep you read right, there's a Control Hideo Kojima Easter egg in the game! Control features a brief voice cameo of Hideo Kojima along with Kojima's Production Manager, Aki Saito.

Back in March of this year, Kojima personal assistant, Tweeted our a photo of Kojima doing some voice work, though as to what exactly it was for was unknown at the time with the only hint being that it was VO work for "the other Sam"

For those who don't know, Sam is both the name of the main character in Death Stranding, and also that of Remedy's Control creative director(Sam Lake) . Many speculated it may have been tied to Splinter Cell as well since the main protagonist is named Sam Fisher. Ubisoft recently payed homage to the Metal Gear Franchise with a touching Easter egg as part of a Splinter Cell DLC for Ghost Recon Wildlands, which you can watch below.

However, since the release of Control it has now been confirmed that Kojima does indeed feature some Japanese voice lines along with Aki Saito, Manager over at Kojima Productions providing translation.

Oct 25, 2017
"Control Features a Hideo Kojima Cameo, and You Probably Missed It"

Well, yeah, you didn't give me a chance to find out myself. Game came out yesterday.

Not too bothered by this kind of stuff, but the title is very silly.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Tbh, is it a spoiler unless you saw that tweet or the credits or whatever? It seems it's just his voice (do many people here recognise Kojima by his voice alone?)

To me it's like Daniel Craig's cameo in Star Wars. You wouldn't know that he was the stormtrooper until someone told you

Last edited:

Jangowuzhere

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tbh, is it a spoiler unless you saw that tweet or the credits or whatever? It seems it's just his voice (do many people here recognise Kojima by his voice alone?)

To me it's like Daniel Craig's cameo in Star Wars
Yeah, hardly a spoiler. It's just Kojima anyway, it's not like it's some A-list surprise acting celebrity.

Spoiler culture these days is so lame.

Alias03

Oct 27, 2017
Wow what a bullshit thread.... Would've been nice to come across this naturally. Games been out for a freakin day.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
"Control Features a Hideo Kojima Cameo, and You Probably Missed It"

Well, yeah, you didn't give me a chance to find out myself. Game came out yesterday.

Not too bothered by this kind of stuff, but the title is very silly.

It would be nice if sites could agree a grace period on stuff like this, although it would be pointless if not everyone was following it.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Why post that in the title? devs put this so people can experience a cool moment in the game, not see it while browsing the internet.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Yeah, hardly a spoiler. It's just Kojima anyway, it's not like it's some A-list surprise acting celebrity.

Spoiler culture these days is so lame.
I just wonder what people getting angry at op think the spoiler is. It's not even Kojimas natural speaking voice, you wouldn't discover this "naturally" unless you knew him in real life most likely

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
I'm not buying the game, but bloody hell, why spoil something like this? Get the title edited as soon as you can.

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The amount of people in this thread who can recogonize Kojima by his voice is impressive.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
thanks for the spoiler
Thanks for spoiling it

I mean...how is this a spoiler when it's only his voice? Unless y'all speak Japanese and are intimately familiar with how Kojima sounds, I'm guessing you never would have never even known this was him unless someone had told you.

The amount of people in this thread who can recogonize Kojima by his voice is impressive.

Yeah, it's weird.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
I mean...how is this a spoiler when it's only his voice? Unless y'all speak Japanese and are intimately familiar with how Kojima sounds, I'm guessing folks would have never even known this was him unless someone had told you.
Because the guy speaking English is his assistant, so it's possible people would have figured it out based on that.

Deleted member 3294

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, now I know what the cameo spoiler I was told to look out for was.

EDIT: Oh, it's just a voice cameo i probably wouldn't have recognized anyway so eh.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That's actually really cool.

Haven't got to that part of the game yet though.

For people calling it a spoiler, would you have known it was him?

Alias03

Oct 27, 2017
This ain't no damn spoiler.

That's fine that you don't think it's a spoiler, but let's be honest the OP knew this would be a somewhat controversial topic and literally did nothing to hide the fact.

You could've easily still had a discussion about this topic without outright spoiling it for everyone in the thread title.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
Friend: Oh this news site ruined a cool surprise cameo in Control for me

Me: Haha, I missed that! Lucky me. Now let me just open Resetera and read some thread titles

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I think we can lighten up on the omg spoiler talk, I'm a pretty big Kojima nut and would not have known that was him based on this, especially considering his voice seems to be affected or exaggerated to some degree as he's acting.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
i don't care about being spoiled about this, but it's definitely a huge spoiler.

Mods, please lock.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Lol ppl calling this a spoiler. Its more an easter egg and if was not explained pretty much no one would have guessed it was Kojima voice. He dosent even sound like the normal Kojima.