• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Designer_Fake

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I really need to rant about the last boss in the Foundation DLC for a second.

I really thought Tomassi was the most annoying fight in the game. I thought nothing could top the frustration I felt fighting that fucker over and over again.
Boy, was I wrong. Marshall takes the fucking cake. Seriously, does anyone actually like boss fights with hoards of enemies spawning simultaneously? Especially if some of these enemies can knock down your health in a matter of seconds. It just feels like a cheap trick to make boss fights harder without making the actual boss more challenging or interesting to fight. All of my least favorite boss fights in the game (Salvador, Tomassi and now Marshall) do this, and they all suck because of it.

But why stop there? Why not add a red filter that makes everything really hard to see? And while we're at it, why not also add bottomless pits that you can fall into during this extremely frantic fight? Because that surely sounds like fun, right?

Don't get me wrong, I adore this game. It's probably in my top 5 games of the generation. When Control is good, it's phenomenal.
And I do actually love the difficulty of the game too, when it's done right. My favorite boss fight in the entire game by far is esseJ. It's a challenging one-on-one fight that gets increasingly more difficult every time she respawns, forcing you to change your strategy accordingly. No overpowered sniper dudes and invisible hiss fuckers that distract you, just you and the boss. I really hope AWE has something like that.

Last edited:

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
Finally decided to play the DLC. I don't remember how the hell to play this game, so I decided I'm just going to replay the main game again first.

Man I forgot how bullshit the Tomassi boss battle is. Hey here's your first power, but you can't use it against the boss right after you get it because he has a maxed out evade stat and you don't have the same dodge ability yet so he will own you if you try.

Go climb up some stairs and hide behind a pillar and cheese the fuck out of it by shooting his shoulder sticking out.

balb

Oct 30, 2017
Sorry if this has been covered here before but will the next gen free upgrade be available at launch for both consoles?

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like all games with unlocked framerate are getting the 60fps boost from PS5 backward compatibility. There could be a chance we won't need the next gen upgrade for the base version to be playable ?

Chili

Oct 25, 2017
I've just started playing this game on PC. Does anyone else find that the brightness changes really dramatically as you move between shadowy areas and well-lit areas? It's like the brightness is being boosted and dimmed in some automatic fashion and is a bit offputting.

Haikira

Dec 22, 2017
Northern Ireland
Seems like all games with unlocked framerate are getting the 60fps boost from PS5 backward compatibility. There could be a chance we won't need the next gen upgrade for the base version to be playable ?

I'm pretty sure CONTROL is locked to a maximum of 30fps. The link above should be timestamped for PS4 Pro footage with a frame rate graph.

There'll still be benefits to playing it via BC without the next gen patch on PS5. I'm sure it'll hold a far more stable frame rate, as it's always been very prone to dips, and load times should be much improved; but without any new updates I wouldn't expect much more than that.

Pat_DC

Oct 27, 2017

I'm pretty sure CONTROL is locked to a maximum of 30fps. The link above should be timestamped for PS4 Pro footage with a frame rate graph.

There'll still be benefits to playing it via BC without the next gen patch on PS5. I'm sure it'll hold a far more stable frame rate, as it's always been very prone to dips, and load times should be much improved; but without any new updates I wouldn't expect much more than that.

I just fired it up on ps5 (mainly to test my saves) and was shocked when the menu and map just came up with no hitching or pausing... didn't feel right after so many hours of playing it like that.

Last edited:

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any way to get a constant 60 fps in this game on a 3070 with raytracing on?

I just hit a section where I dropped the res down to 1080p with DLSS enabled and it wouldn't go above 50fps.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
I just fired it up on ps5 (mainly to test my saves) and was shocked when the menu and map just came up with no hitching or pausing... didn't feel right after so many hours of playing it like that.
The other thing that surprised me was image quality. I was sure it looked better on PS4 Pro. Looking at Liabe's old thread it was dynamic 2160t on Pro (but mostly 1080p). It didn't look a pixel over 1080p on PS5 for me, even just standing still in Executive. Did anyone else notice that?

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
So if you die in control you lose these shards, what are they good for? I am only at the beginning but if they are important or useful for something I will have to change my playstile, unless of course there is a way to farm them if need be.

tobascodagama

Aug 21, 2020
They're used for upgrading your weapon forms and for buying mods. But you shouldn't buy mods because they drop so often from enemies and use the same materials as upgrading your weapon forms, whereas spending crafting materials is the only way to upgrade your weapon forms.

But anyway, don't sweat that you're losing shards on death, you'll get them back quickly and shards are never your bottleneck for upgrading. There are rarer materials (which AFAIK aren't lost on death) that are the actual bottleneck for your upgrades.

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I'm on mission 5 now and I feel like the game could have used some comedy in these monologues.

I picked up the "Seize" ability and when I exited the astral plane Jesse noticed that everyone in the room dropped to the ground and she's like "Seizing the object must have fried their brains?", nothing more, and I'm like "Whoopsie daisy! Time to get the fuck out of here."

:D

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
If I uninstall the game from Epic, will it delete my saves or is it in the cloud? I'm just thinking about getting some space for my hard drive once I'm done with AWE.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
Done with this game...the Benecoff TV area/Boss on the way to her brother is an awful fight...I saw theres a bunch of aim assist and option to make the game easier,a lot easier since I saw an Immortality mode but whatever,this fight is pissing me off...

EDIT: So I raised some sliders a bit that makes Jessie receive a little less damage and stuff like that and finally beat that Boss and got Levitate,so yeah,not done with this game lol... ;)

Last edited:

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
So I think I hit a glitch/bug at this point?

I'm on Mission 6 (My Brother's Keeper), and I think a cutscene is supposed to initiate when I meet with the Panopticon Supervisor, but him and Jesse just stare at each other, like the game is stuck.

Apparently I can restart the mission to "fix" this, but how do I restart the mission?

tobascodagama

Aug 21, 2020
Apparently I can restart the mission to "fix" this, but how do I restart the mission?
I've never had to do it myself, but if you use the Mission Select from the main menu it will reset everything to how it was when you picked up the mission. (That includes any upgrades you had earned since then, but I think you're pretty close to the start of that one so it shouldn't be a huge problem.)

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I've never had to do it myself, but if you use the Mission Select from the main menu it will reset everything to how it was when you picked up the mission. (That includes any upgrades you had earned since then, but I think you're pretty close to the start of that one so it shouldn't be a huge problem.)

Okay awesome! I'll definitely try it out. Thank you.

Side-note, would you (or anyone else reading) say I'm past the halfway point?

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
Do we not have access to a Jukebox in the Gamepass Control ?...I got the talk about it and have a quest that tells me to insert a token in a Jukebox but it points me to the cleanse circle to craft some...from what I read googling I should have a free try or something but I have no clue what to do or where to go...?

Last edited:

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Doing another run through of this one.
I remember getting the flying ability a bit later in the game and it made the whole thing way more fun. How early can you get this?

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
So, finished the main story and cleaning up DLC. This game feels extremely unfair at times. Even with almost max health attacks are removing 3/4 of my health with no way to restore without killing/damaging enemies. It seems like taking a big hit from a launch or a grenade will end most encounters. Feel like I'm missing something.

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
So, finished the main story and cleaning up DLC. This game feels extremely unfair at times. Even with almost max health attacks are removing 3/4 of my health with no way to restore without killing/damaging enemies. It seems like taking a big hit from a launch or a grenade will end most encounters. Feel like I'm missing something.

Did you go to the assist settings? They added this to address the difficulty issues so that you can customize the difficulty to your liking. While I understand that some people like the default challenge, I had a lot more fun when I was able to tip the odds more in my favor but not overwhelmingly so.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
Did you go to the assist settings? They added this to address the difficulty issues so that you can customize the difficulty to your liking. While I understand that some people like the default challenge, I had a lot more fun when I was able to tip the odds more in my favor but not overwhelmingly so.

No.

The game seems imbalanced. I finished the story mode and that encounter was pretty easy, like pathetically easy. I'm going around finishing side quests and seemingly random room spawns are ending me. Also why can't I kill the balls of Hiss or what ever those things are.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
It's tough. The perk thingy that makes health pickups more effective was a must for me.

But ultimately the game is crafted so that sitting back just isn't an effective approach, you have to get right up in their face and use a bit of everything at your disposal in order to stand a chance, and that's by design. As I understand it this was a reaction to the way people played Quantum Break.

TronLight

Jun 17, 2018
So I completely forgot that Ahti had stuff for me to do, and I went on with the game. Now I'm about to enter
the maze

And I just found four missions on the board but
he's disappeared

Did I miss some cool scenes with him?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
0fMSZo.png

Is this door just decoration, or can it be accessed?

The flashing camera made me think it might be something you can open later.

tobascodagama

Aug 21, 2020
AFAIK, that's just decoration. Try throwing something at it to check? All the doors that can be opened eventually have card swipers, but there are bits of wall that you can smash open sometimes.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Finished the game yesterday.

A 4/5 for me.

The setting is highly attractive at first, and it is even interesting to read some of the documents spread out, but it gets notably tiring towards the end of the game. Same with the combat, and this hurts even more, because I think it is really fun and spectacular.

The Ashtray Maze section is fucking amazing.

Oooh I would have loved the game to finish "the first time".

That would have been a fucking 5/5 for me and I would have overlooked what is another example of modern bloated videogame.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Im playing the ultimate edition on Ps5 - Is there a weapon called "Surge"? Where do I find it?

tobascodagama

Aug 21, 2020
Im playing the ultimate edition on Ps5 - Is there a weapon called "Surge"? Where do I find it?
It was added with the AWE expansion. The alternate weapon forms are all built (at the Control Points), not found, but the option to build them won't appear until you have at least one of the area-specific materials required for it. So basically I think you'd need to at least start the AWE story in order to unlock Surge.

Muji

Banned
Jul 27, 2021
i just finished this game and i ansolutely adore it. a huge surprise game for me as i would have never bought i believe. it came with ps+ or something with my ps5 purchase. the games atmosphere and whole world building + graphics is so good that I (pls don't judge) just turned on god mode just to be able to take it all in, without worrying about enemies. every encounter with the board is so interesting and amusing because of the dialogue- i read up on and it's supposedly inspired by some literary genre called new weird? it's just so… weird! like the dialogue with the entity that wants its head back.

also the way your character talks - her inner monologues- it's fun, mysterious. it's a great game! i would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a good story and very interesting world

Grisby

Oct 29, 2017
A bit of a bump but can you not transfer your regular game save to the Ultimate? I/m on a series x btw.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
A bit of a bump but can you not transfer your regular game save to the Ultimate? I/m on a series x btw.
I can't remember. I'm not sure if I didn't because I couldn't, or if I just wanted to start a "fresh save" to go for all the achievements.

edit: Oh, seems like you can't, according to this article from over a year ago.

www.ign.com

Control: Ultimate Edition's Lack of Save Transfers and PS Plus Announcement Has Upset Fans - IGN

Control: Ultimate Edition's lack of next-gen save transfers and recent addition to the PS Plus line-up has frustrated players who bought the game early to get a later upgrade.

Grisby

Oct 29, 2017
I can't remember. I'm not sure if I didn't because I couldn't, or if I just wanted to start a "fresh save" to go for all the achievements.

edit: Oh, seems like you can't, according to this article from over a year ago.

www.ign.com

Control: Ultimate Edition's Lack of Save Transfers and PS Plus Announcement Has Upset Fans - IGN

Control: Ultimate Edition's lack of next-gen save transfers and recent addition to the PS Plus line-up has frustrated players who bought the game early to get a later upgrade.
Damn, thanks for the link. Bit of a bummer but I was on the AWE dlc anyways.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Mega bump. Finally going after the dlc.

Took me awhile to get the controls again and deal with the map. Starting foundation and looking forward to this and AWE

I will say this. Don't expect to have your mind BLOWN by the two DLC. They're fine, they're more Control, and AWE's narrative ties to AW and AW2 make it worth playing, but the budget limitations that they were working with for the two DLC expansions are plenty evident compared to the base game. Keep your expectations metered and you should have a decent time.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
this was such a good game. I should check out the DLC at some point as I skipped it.

watching LOKI on disney and it actually reminds me a lot of the setting in CONTROL. wonder if the game influenced the show at all..

OP
OP
nihilence

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
I will say this. Don't expect to have your mind BLOWN by the two DLC. They're fine, they're more Control, and AWE's narrative ties to AW and AW2 make it worth playing, but the budget limitations that they were working with for the two DLC expansions are plenty evident compared to the base game. Keep your expectations metered and you should have a decent time.

I'm finishing it up on Xbox One x version, and might replay as I actually bought the ultimate version for xs

How long is the dlc? Base game is fun