• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
The FBC must be a cool place to work:

ARzOo7o.png
lol

Deleted member 3183

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I just wrapped up the game and my thoughts...

• Really enjoyed the story and lore. The story did get a bit ... unintelligible at times, but suppose that's part of the charm.
  • One of the biggest weaknesses of this game are a) checkpointing. Holy shit, fuck the last part of the game during the Polaris mission. Super frustrating between the barrage of enemies and the risk of falling off the level. To start all over again was ridiculous. I nearly gave up on the game at that point. b) respawning enemies. Fighting through an area is fun the first time; not every time you pass through that area again. It's just tedious at that point and a nuisance when trying to explore.
  • Kinda wish they expanded on the altered items and object of power stuffs. There was opportunity to really play around with that stuff and while I was glad for the info I could pick up and read; it would've been awesome if they built it more into the game.
  • Combat was enjoyable for the most part. I wish they were a bit less stingy with the energy and made Jesse a bit less fragile. Overall though, some sections were really a blast once I had all powers. Ashtray Maze in particular was awesome.
  • Overall, I think I had a lot more fun in the first half of the game than the latter half. Felt like the gameplay was getting a bit stale after a while, especially towards the end.

Last edited:

Parham

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I just got telekinesis. Are the keyboard controls supposed to be this awkward when you're grabbing things in the middle of combat? I'm holding down E to grab objects and then releasing to throw, but that makes it a hassle to move right. I can't tell if I'm just doing this wrong.

Edit: Looks like it's also mapped to the middle mouse button. That's actually way easier.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
Played through to the end. Probably one of my favourite games overall. Combat gets a bit repetitive by the end. Feels like this is something Remedy just can't quite shake. I found combat a lot more interesting than in Quantum Break though.

The setting and background lore are great. The actual story felt a bit basic, mostly just set up for the setting really.

I'm still going back to fill out the rest of the side quests and stuff. It's enjoyable just going around and finding new things.

Graphics were pretty incredible (Xbox one X), hopefully they can patch performance a bit though. Those freezes and stutters are unpleasant.

Highlights were:
The ashtray maze, that was an incredible sequence. The boss from the refrigerator was also fun, although falling through the ground wasn't great when you had to keep looking up. The various locations like the quarry and foundation(?) were great. Felt like there was enough variety to stay interesting.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
I put this game down part way through to go through Astral Chain, and just picked it back up, what a mistake.

Just went through the Ashtray Maze with Ahti's cassette player, holy shit was that more infinitely more hype than anything in Astral Chain.

As soon as the lyrics kicked in
untitled1o2yc04kjnd.gif

Oct 29, 2017
NL
Only need the crisis management chievo. But man, defending the personnel in Black Quarry is a bitch. Major targets in coolant pumps too. One badddy has a shit load of health and almost one shots you. Waiting for the missions isnt fun when youve done pretty much everything else.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Trying to get this countermeasure trophy. There's no way to make enemies consistently spawn in an area, is there? I feel like all I do is run around hoping for Hiss to jump out.

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Just started the game on PS4 Pro and I'm really disappointed by the tech.
First I have to crank the brightness up to almost 100 to see anything, but it makes bright scenes really washed out.
Then I have constant sound stutter. Every few seconds the sound just cuts out for a moment. Haven't read anything about that. Anybody else having this issue? Never happened with any other game.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
Just started the game on PS4 Pro and I'm really disappointed by the tech.
First I have to crank the brightness up to almost 100 to see anything, but it makes bright scenes really washed out.
Then I have constant sound stutter. Every few seconds the sound just cuts out for a moment. Haven't read anything about that. Anybody else having this issue? Never happened with any other game.
I'm on a PS4 Pro, no issues with brightness or sound stutter here. I did have two major issues though:

• From around the 20% - 40% mark in the game, I had about five instances of massive slowdown. We're talking single digit framerate, sustained for up to 10 seconds. The worst slowdown I've ever seen in a console game, so bad that it broke the OS and killed the Share video buffer, so I couldn't even save the videos. Thankfully it didn't happen again in the final 60% of the game, so hopefully that's a bug that Remedy can fix rather than just load.
  • There's a massive lighting bug in one entire area near the end of the game. Again, the worst example of this sort of (incredibly rare) bug I've ever seen in a console game. I mean, just look at this shit, this would be embarrassing in a Beta, but this is the final certified retail build:

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Wow I've got a really nasty bug. I can't construct the Charge form. It takes my Corrupted Elements but doesn't actually do anything. That blows and I'm not going to play anymore until it's fixed.

Kolya

Jan 26, 2018
I've seen several screenshots of an alternate outfit (bomber jacket with a ponytail and braid in the hair). How do you get it? Is it just progressing through the game or something else?

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
So.... Off-topic, but...
House of Leaves. Should I get it?

Wow I've got a really nasty bug. I can't construct the Charge form. It takes my Corrupted Elements but doesn't actually do anything. That blows and I'm not going to play anymore until it's fixed.

Same thing happened to me. Fucking sucks.

Majora85

Nov 21, 2017
It's odd how on one hand they go to great effort to make a lot of the videos and documents part of the game world and then in other places they just dump some of then in your inventory out of nowhere. For example, I've just got the 'final message' video in my inventory. Where was that meant to have come from? Why wasn't it actually present in the universe? Could they not find a place for it somehow? It's all a bit inelegant at times. That also goes for the way you get super long hotline messages just put in your inventory out of nowhere too.

Edit - Never mind, I just turned around and the final message video was playing behind me lol. Point still stands for some of it though.

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, for some reason my PC version is dropping to like, 2 fps at times. No joke. WTF?

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
You know the game is a technical mess on consoles when even podcasts who never talk about frame rate are complaint about it.

Wintermute

Oct 27, 2017
Wait... There are breakable walls in this game???? I just found one kind of by accident after dozens and dozens of hours of playtime lol... Fuck...

i finally worked out there was a breakable wall because

there was a painting on the wall and it was hanging askew and it had a picture of a window/door/hole on it, so i figured it was an environmental clue

annoyingly i saw the same painting somewhere else but it didn't click that time, and now i cant remember where that was!

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Hi everyone! If anyone's interested, I interviewed Brooke Maggs, the narrative designer at Remedy about this game at PAX West 2019. Would love for you all to check it out!

Awesome interview, lots of cool details like the female perspective that Sam encouraged and characters. Love that she name-drops Virginia and Hellblade for their storytelling.

OnlySP: So one of the things that stood out to me about Control was that it had a female protagonist. On your website, you mentioned that you also write feminist short stories. I was just curious if you can discuss whether you've brought your background and feminist sensibilities into Control?
Maggs: I would have loved to, but unfortunately, I didn't do much of the writing for her. However, I have to say that Remedy was very keen to have a female protagonist. Our history is largely white male protagonists and they were very much of the opinion that it was about time. That was really encouraging to me, and one of the reasons why I joined Remedy to work on Control. I have to say that, from a feminist sensibility standpoint, Sinikka [Annala], the other narrative designer, and I, had discussions with Clay and Sam about how to represent Jesse and we certainly gave feedback from a female perspective on her, and also on the other female characters.​
I love that Jesse is the active female protagonist but she's also not the only woman in the world. I think sometimes we play games and we're like "this is great, there's a main female character" and then the world around her is still largely male; whereas Jesse has Emily Pope to talk to and Helen Marshall, we even meet another character, [Dr.] Underhill in the research sector who is very much doing her own thing quite confidently. It's cool to see there's more than one woman in the Bureau. Also, the Oldest House and the Bureau of Control, we've made quite clear, have largely been operated by men for a very long time.​
The point of Jesse being a woman, being from the outside—right from her costume, to how she approaches the unexplained—is contradictory to the Bureau. Everyone is in business wear, and Jesse is in a leather jacket and jeans, and coming in and shaking things up. So that's a cool feminist sensibility that underlies that as well that I really encouraged.​
OnlySP: You mentioned that some games, such as Firewatch and Journey, are examples of games with great stories. Can I ask you what are some of the games that inspire you the most?
Maggs: Recently I've been blown away by Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice. I think [Ninja Theory] do such incredible things with the story. They do an overlay of live-action, as we've done, and Senua as a character is super interesting. I think the amount of time that we get to spend with her is really well done. Right from the game mechanics, you really feel like things are at stake when you play as her. I think it even works so well that there aren't heaps of characters, really.​
I think Control would be a completely different game if we just spend that amount of time with Jesse, for example. I think the characterization in [Hellblade] is incredible. More recently I also played a small indie title called Virginia, which was really interesting with the way the game used camera angles to jump-cut into different parts of the story. You've put me on the spot a little bit! They're the two main ones at the moment that I've enjoyed.​

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
Man, this game really does play like trash on a base PS4 (and I feel like my PS4 has always been bad in terms of performance and graphics).

I'm loving what I've seen so far, though. Combat handles like a dream, even with slowdowns and the occasional freezing in big fights. It feels so damn good to smear some poor Hiss-infected agent across 10 meters of floor and the wall behind him with Launch. The characters, story, and environment suffer a little from the performance issues (I'm getting constant texture pop-in and this console has never been good at rendering faces) but I'm still interested. It's enough for me to spring for a used PS4 Pro finally.

Okapi

May 31, 2019
I have a somewhat specific question regarding backtracking:

I'm doing the quest Self-Reflection right now and I'm about to "clease the mirror". I'm wondering if it is possible to come back to the other side of the mirror once the sidequest is done? I'm asking because there's a small puzzle with a control panel connected to a box inside and I don't know how to solve it. If there's a way to come back later then I could let it be for now. I realize it's not a big deal but if someone could help me out I would greatly appreciate it!

Last edited:

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
I have a somewhat specific question regarding backtracking:

I'm doing the quest Self-Reflection right now and I'm about to "clease the mirror". I'm wondering if it is possible to come back to the other side of the mirror once the sidequest is done? I'm asking because there's a small puzzle with a control panel connected to a box inside and don't know how to solve it. If there's a way to come back later then I could let it be for now. I realize it's not a big deal but if someone could help me out I would greatly appreciate it!
It is. You can return.

Oct 25, 2017
Odd request but can anyone on Pc tell me what version number they're on? I got a key on eBay, turns out it's a review key so it works but I also have the retail version in my library that says unavailable. Not sure if I should complain or whatever. If the review copy updates fine etc, then I'll stick with it.

I'm on version GWF-Release-2700152_1076286-win-00.40

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
My game is glitched and I can't move forward. There's an AWE near "Turntable" that I cannot capture.
This may be the same place I and others had a glitch. I was able to get past it by restarting the game at my last save point. Someone else had to turn their console off and on (seriously) to get it to work.

Good luck!

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Need tips for Mr. Tomassi Fight
On his second coming, that boss is hard. Been trying to beat him since an hour around the Turntable area. Any tips ?

Everything is manageable until the invisible screaming guy comes into the picture. And my levitating game is weak. Using Grip level3

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
On his second coming, that boss is hard. Been trying to beat him since an hour around the Turntable area. Any tips ?

Everything is manageable until the invisible screaming guy comes into the picture. And my levitating game is weak. Using Grip level3

I ran around the around the rock with Shatter and took out the smaller enemies while praying to The Board that I didn't get sniped by Tomassi.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017

Levitate up to the catwalk on the upper left of the room. You have a good amount of cover there, and the invisible and soldier enemies can only come at you from one direction, as they need to climb the stairs. The fight is much more manageable from that position, and you have some space to kill / brainwash some of the exploding enemies. I even turned the invisible one to my side. As for Tomassi himself, I relied on Pierce to break his shield, and threw objects at him for big damage. He doesn't dodge so well if he's near a wall or something when you throw an item.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
Finished the game. Control is both really good and the most technically disastrous game I've played this entire gen. I've never seen a released game run at single frames for as long as this - just entire fights as slide shows. If you pause the game or go into the menu, the game nearly crashes when you unpause, and this is on a PSpro with an SSD. Just shameful shit.

I'm glad I didn't spend money on this even though there's a really good game buried underneath. The cherry on top was the game crashing to the xmb during the ending cutscene. It's amazing they're selling this game. I wish they had held this for the next gen launch when the game would be capable of actually running and polished to release quality.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This was how I did it:

I ran around the around the rock with Shatter and took out the smaller enemies while praying to The Board that I didn't get sniped by Tomassi.
Levitate up to the catwalk on the upper left of the room. You have a good amount of cover there, and the invisible and soldier enemies can only come at you from one direction, as they need to climb the stairs. The fight is much more manageable from that position, and you have some space to kill / brainwash some of the exploding enemies. I even turned the invisible one to my side. As for Tomassi himself, I relied on Pierce to break his shield, and threw objects at him for big damage. He doesn't dodge so well if he's near a wall or something when you throw an item.
Thanks. I also think my weapons is weak, haven't purchased the Shatter Lvl 3. Will try again.
I am loving this game.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Almost sounds like Remedy pushed the console build way too hard in this instance. All that destruction and dynamic lighting probably stresses the shit out the hardware. Control seems to be one of those very late generation games where the performance gulf between console and high end PC is really showcased.

I'm sure it's optimisably though. Remedy might need to tone back some of the asset and real time shading complexity during boss fights, if that's where the game's framerate tanks most regularly on console.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
Almost sounds like Remedy pushed the console build way too hard in this instance. All that destruction and dynamic lighting probably stresses the shit out the hardware. Control seems to be one of those very late generation games where the performance gulf between console and high end PC is really showcased.

I'm sure it's optimisably though. Remedy might need to tone back some of the asset and real time shading complexity during boss fights, if that's where the game's framerate tanks most regularly on console.
Boss fights are fine, it only seems to be in certain large areas (mail room, parapsychology for me) with heaps of enemies on screen. I don't know if paranatural enemies are part of that mix too, I assume they up the physics load as well.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Halfway through on my second playthrough now and, intermixed with some more watching of the launch trailer, this is starting to seriously nudge at my Game of the Generation.

Which is insane when that's currently Bloodborne and will require a replay of that, but damn - I just persist in wanting to wrap myself up in this world. I went in looking for some cool 'Second Sight' fun and just cannot believe how high it put the bar through the ceiling.

Also discovering minor little nooks I missed or rushed past at the end for this playthrough - like the area of Black Rock with the mold and file to the woman who's husband was taken away.

Having not played Alan Wake or Quantum Break it's slammed Remedy right into the 'ok, now you have my attention' list. I really hope there's an absolute ton more of Control coming in the future.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Guys do you know when is the patch due ? I LL buy the game around the patch time.i m just praying they down lower the effects in order to acheive the stable frame rates .