• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
I didn't even bother unlocking Pierce, Charge or Spin. Stuck with Grip for most of my playthrough but used Shatter for close encounters.

Wintermute

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't even bother unlocking Pierce, Charge or Spin. Stuck with Grip for most of my playthrough but used Shatter for close encounters.

i found pierce extremely useful for flying enemies who dodged projectile shots, particular when they had armor. tbh i stopped using the grip entirely and just went pierce/spin for most of playthrough. the grip kinda felt like the starter gun you get in a game which you only use until you find something that's not a pea shooter ^_^

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
i found pierce extremely useful for flying enemies who dodged projectile shots, particular when they had armor. tbh i stopped using the grip entirely and just went pierce/spin for most of playthrough. the grip kinda felt like the starter gun you get in a game which you only use until you find something that's not a pea shooter ^_^

throwing two objects in quick succession will mess up those flying guys, they dodge the first but can't dodge the second one and launching huge projectiles at them can wipe out half their health/armour with one hit...to be honest, launch was probably my primary weapon so the pea shooter wasn't a problem

GS_Dan

Oct 30, 2017
So I'm on mission 5 I think? Wanted to get some info on which weapons to craft and use. I unlocked shatter, Pierce and spin so far.

Shatter seems the most useful. Spin is kinda bad?

Pierce is too situational I feel like. Is it worth it to make charge next or would you rather upgrade shatter?

Talk to me you Control experts.
Spin, Shatter and Grip were my most used, with my default loadout being Spin and Shatter.
I tended to use Launch at long ranges, closing the gap by hovering while attacking and shooting enemies without armour. Spin weapon mods focused on ammo while hovering, headshot damage and accuracy. Only really used Shatter when right on top of enemies.

raphaelr

Oct 27, 2017
i don´t know what i did, but i finally have the upgrade options available for pierce.
more zoomed damage ftw.

Nov 2, 2017
For those of you that did the boss fight with the fridge in the Panopticon, if you died, did you get to do it again?

Experienced a weird thing yesterday where I went into that mission with reduced health (looking away from the fridge too much :( ) and died fighting it.

After the game reloaded, it made it seem like I had beaten it even though I didn't. I really wanted to beat that boss, lol.

And I'm definitely doing another play through of this game. Reading this thread and watching YouTube videos is making me realize I missed A TON of stuff. Which is odd because I'm very thorough when it comes to stuff like that.

Wintermute

Oct 27, 2017
throwing two objects in quick succession will mess up those flying guys, they dodge the first but can't dodge the second one and launching huge projectiles at them can wipe out half their health/armour with one hit...to be honest, launch was probably my primary weapon so the pea shooter wasn't a problem

yeah launch is great. imo perhaps a bit OP. hell of a lot of fun though. i guess i felt like the service weapon was such a significant object within the story, i perhaps felt a bit obliged to use it.

Protmind

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished this last night on X1X. I couldn't wait for the patch to drop. What's up with the last mission?
Is it bugged? The first two platforms in the slide projector's Astral Plane were quick and easy. The third took over 30 min. I kept seeing the same enemy spawn patterns over and over. I was getting ready to reset my console before it finally ended.
It left a real bitter taste to end a otherwise excellent game.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Pierce is the most satisfying thing in the game, use Pierce you heathens.
Grip was my go to. Then either spin (which is super useful for the healing things) or charge, but there were sections where I really wished I had pierce. The mold enemies that launch the lines of darts from miles away kicked my ass because I hadn't unlocked it yet. Once I unlocked it, those enemies didn't cause me nearly as much trouble.

I didn't think any of the bosses were too hard. I really liked how the 'real' bosses were in the side quests. Beating Tomassi by staying on the ground and learning to dealing with all the fracas may have killed me more than 20 times (if I had to estimate) but damn if I wasn't really fucking good at the game afterwards. Since it's an optional fight, it seems fine for it to be very challenging, and the nearest control point is right there, so it's not an annoying trek like say, the the mold source was with enemies enroute every time.

Last edited:

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
Well I can't complete the side missions because there are still bugs that prevent me from collecting items for one of them. And I can't load my end game save point because the game crashes when the credits roll, so it corrupted that save file. So that means I'd have to lose all my post-game progress and load up a save point even further back in the game to glitch the side mission.. Seriously, the amount of bugs in this game is unacceptable.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
This is one of those super rare games for me where I don't want to beat it because I don't want it to end.

Everything about it just clicks with me completely. Love the vibe.

plagiarize

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
For those of you that did the boss fight with the fridge in the Panopticon, if you died, did you get to do it again?

Experienced a weird thing yesterday where I went into that mission with reduced health (looking away from the fridge too much :( ) and died fighting it.

After the game reloaded, it made it seem like I had beaten it even though I didn't. I really wanted to beat that boss, lol.

And I'm definitely doing another play through of this game. Reading this thread and watching YouTube videos is making me realize I missed A TON of stuff. Which is odd because I'm very thorough when it comes to stuff like that.
Well... you get to fight it again later.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
So I'm on mission 5 I think? Wanted to get some info on which weapons to craft and use. I unlocked shatter, Pierce and spin so far.

Pierce is too situational I feel like. Is it worth it to make charge next or would you rather upgrade shatter?

Don't bother making charge, save your components for the other gun upgrades. Pierce is excellent, even better now that you can finally upgrade it. Grip level 3 is my go to go gun with headshot mod, damage mod, and the secret mod that gives you unlimited ammo as long as you don't miss. You need the levitate power before you can get the secret mod.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Beaten it, liked it a lot - but also my 2nd most disappointing game of the year. ( behind KH3 )

SCP-inspired lore, art direction, aesthetic, combat, core gameplay toolset, Ashtray Maze, pretty good.
Level design, exploration moment-to-moment, encounter design, power/combat balancing, cast of characters and their arc, pretty meh.
The game is a bit of a game of two identities. In spite of the deeply interesting location/setting that almost begs for a more slower paced/exploration beat that lets you know every nook and crany of the Oldest House - the fact that it's an action game meant that a lot of the space ends up being less 'intimate' than it could have, since it needed to be large enough facilitate the combat power fantasy. Thus while Oldest House is still an amazing location - it relies on visual rather than a real sense of space like say, RE1/2.

Combat speaks for itself - I rather enjoy the chemistry of powers/etc. However, the largely bland enemies, uninteresting combat arena layouts, imbalance of power skillset ( launch is so overpowered ), and lack of better weapon variety/uniqueness meant that the core is solid, but the meat and potatoes of what makes a great action game - a great sense of combat flow that takes you from one thrilling encounter to the next is not a strong aspect of Control.

Characters are a bunch of WHO? in Control, sadly. There's no real meaningful arc or interesting interactions with the characters of the game, and Jesse Faden isn't a protagonist that I felt had an interesting arc. Weakest aspect of Control imo.

There are so much good ideas in Control, and there are so many potentials of sustained brilliance, but it never quite hits it - imo due to the game trying to be a jack of all trades in hitting all the different notes, but not excelling in any.

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
"Where did he go...
...OH CRAP!!!"

IOFmj3Y.gif

Bonus: "Surprise Mothafucka"

Last edited:

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
The game definitely runs smoother on the pro in small and mid scale fights. There is no stutter anymore, feels a lot better. Also the game looks cleaner without film grain.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
This is a small example of how Remedy are one of the best when it comes to collectible documents/audio diaries. This is about Samson's favorite character in a sci-fi book 🤣🤣🤣

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Where is Traffic Light/Japanese Paper thing in the Panopticon (Langsont's Runaways quest)? And how do I get to the area where the respective other altered item is, in the very east of the containment sector?

Every guide tries to tell how to solve the mission but I just want to get there. It really annoys me that I can't find it on my own... I searched the Panopticon multiple times top to bottom for whole TWO HOURS... the other area is only connected by a dark-grey corridor n the map, but the only door, 'Mechanical Room', is locked and can't be accessed from the side (the room next to Logistics). So I guess there must be another way but I'm running around, searching every inch and nail for the third hour now and can't find a way.

The pierce made the second Tomassi boss fight considerable easier, actually beatable, for me.

Last edited:

plagiarize

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Where is Traffic Light/Japanese Paper thing in the Panopticon (Langsont's Runaways quest)? And how do I get to the area where the respective other altered item is, in the very east of the containment sector?

Every guide tries to tell how to solve the mission but I just want to get there. It really annoys me that I can't find it on my own... I searched the Panopticon multiple times top to bottom for whole TWO HOURS... the other area is only connected by a dark-grey corridor n the map, but the only door, 'Mechanical Room', is locked and can't be accessed from the side (the room next to Logistics). So I guess there must be another way but I'm running around, searching every inch and nail for the third hour now and can't find a way.
It's to the left of logistics. There is a guy on the upper level who will give you a quest, that will get you in there. I must have gone through that room dozens of times never going over to that side. It's the other side of the control point to the Mechanical Room door you've found.

lead allayed

Oct 25, 2018

If i remember correctly it's actually the same room you find the oop that gives you the levitation ability, it's reused for the traffic light, called the twisted passage i think. The Japanese paper lantern is in the clock part of the map you have to shoot a swirling mass of clocks to reveal it

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
It's to the left of logistics. There is a guy on the upper level who will give you a quest, that will get you in there. I must have gone through that room dozens of times never going over to that side. It's the other side of the control point to the Mechanical Room door you've found.
OMG, I don't know how could missed that whole left area... guess I was thinking too narrow, which hampered my exploration. Found it, thanks!
If i remember correctly it's actually the same room you find the oop that gives you the levitation ability, it's reused for the traffic light, called the twisted passage i think.
I see. Will take another look!

Blue Ninja

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium

Pierce looks situational at first, but is actually a lifesaver. Great against all stronger enemies.

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
Welp I had the audacity to try and play this game again today to finish off side missions I never did but the Epic Games Store had different plans. It said there was a conflict with my cloud saves. It gave me two options with different dates on it, neither of which were actually the last day I played the game. After picking the older option because I know damn well I didn't play two days ago, nor did I even launch the store itself during that time, I'm now on an older save hours before I finished the game and did a bunch of side quest stuff.

Now I never want to touch the game because of the Epic Store. It even recognizes I got further in the game as it lists Endgame in the mission select but it won't allow me to load the mission.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Welp I had the audacity to try and play this game again today to finish off side missions I never did but the Epic Games Store had different plans. It said there was a conflict with my cloud. It gave me two options with different dates on it, neither of which were actually the last day I played the game. After picking the older option because I know damn well I didn't play two days ago, nor did I even launch the store itself during that time, I'm not on an older save hours before I finished the game and did a bunch of side quest stuff.

Now I never want to touch the game because of the Epic Store. It even recognizes I got further in the game as it lists Endgame in the mission select but it won't allow me to load the mission.
that's definitely a yikes.

sorry for your lost time. don't worry tho; it's just a storefront.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Platinum get.

Overall I'd say the game made a great first impression and then got less impressive for me as time went on. I'd give it a solid 8/10.
The ending came on very abruptly.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Welp I had the audacity to try and play this game again today to finish off side missions I never did but the Epic Games Store had different plans. It said there was a conflict with my cloud. It gave me two options with different dates on it, neither of which were actually the last day I played the game. After picking the older option because I know damn well I didn't play two days ago, nor did I even launch the store itself during that time, I'm not on an older save hours before I finished the game and did a bunch of side quest stuff.

Damn that really sucks, although I am not surprised at all with Epic's half assed attempt at a store/launcher. They are spending a ton of Fortnite money buying up exclusives but spending none of it to fully develop a modern day launcher/storefront that's functional.

Also, some of the mods seem super rare, are people just lucky to get them? I haven't gotten a headshot mod over level III and only a single Damage mod above level II. I haven't gotten any of the Pierce-specific mods that are supposedly "new" after the patch either. Still just damage when aim and zoom.