• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Finished last night. Amazing game. Maybe my favourite by Remedy. The world building and the story telling was almost perfect.

There were a few plot threads I was hoping to get more explanation for, but leaving some of the mystery is cool too. Hopefully the DLC has some meaty story content.

Have to give a lot of the credit to the main cast. James McCaffrey, Matt Porretta and Courtney Hope were all perfect in their respective roles. And thanks to Porretta's performance, Dr. Darling's series of educational / journal videos was one of the most compelling in-game collectibles I've seen in a long time.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
I finished the game today. I think I found all optional content too and those were some of the best stuff in the game. The main storyline is just..weak, to the point of being downright generic. This is weird coming from Quantum Break which I felt did a pretty good job with its story. The video clip stuff is much better done than rest of the game's main story.

For some reason character facial animations are worse than Quantum Break. It's like when talking to them they have no body language or eye movement which puts them straight into uncanny valley. Considering the small amount of discussion sections in the game they could have done a better job. The voice acting is good, the dialog lines themselves are often way too much exposition so the characters themselves don't come through. The janitor is great, as a Finn it's a great touch and they manage to build a good mystery around the character. The English translations of all kinds of Finnish sayings are funny. I especially liked "Burn it to a reindeer, not a moose", where in Finnish "poro" is both reindeer and ashes.

I loved exploring the levels, they are excellent visually and fun to travel through and finding secrets is satisfying. The metroidvania format works extremely well for it. The SCP style texts you find around really build up the world much better than any of the story elements are able to. The writing team has done a great job because most of the texts are interesting to read compared to say Shadow of the Tomb Raider where I started just skipping treasure descriptions because they were just mundane. I generally don't like when games put in tons of collectable text stuff but in this game it works well.

Gameplay is the best since Max Payne 2. Quantum Break was largely a mediocre cover shooter with superpowers whereas here superpowers are just as important as the gunplay. I used the Grip and Shatter a lot early game then moved to Grip and Pierce and finally Spin became my go-to weapon. Charge still feels completely underpowered. I don't like how the levitate power is done. The hover ceiling feels artificial and I fell into pits during combat a lot so I wish that it had some sort of "dash up" or "bounce off walls" option to save you.

The game is super stingy with damage boost mods. I still have some level 1 stuff in my inventory because only a few of the better ones dropped. Having to inventory manage disassembling a lot of crap is a mistake in design.

Enemy variety is not great but is sufficient. I wish they had used some reskinned versions of the enemies in the more "out there" sections of the game. The basic rocket launcher guy is probably the most dangerous enemy in the whole game as you sometimes get ambushed by the rockets. The most annoying one is the flying shielded dude. Bosses had a lot of dying out of the blue for me. While they have clear mechanics several have things like environmental hazards that are not easy to avoid when trying to focus on aiming. I also dislike bosses that
have smaller enemies spawning in to pester you
. My most disliked section is
the Hedron section. The multiple waves of enemies was just annoying to get through.

I will probably buy the DLCs for the game if they turn out to be good with unique content and not just some "let's throw more enemies at you" type of difficulty.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Finished last night. Amazing game. Maybe my favourite by Remedy. The world building and the story telling was almost perfect.

There were a few plot threads I was hoping to get more explanation for, but leaving some of the mystery is cool too. Hopefully the DLC has some meaty story content.

Have to give a lot of the credit to the main cast. James McCaffrey, Matt Porretta and Courtney Hope were all perfect in their respective roles. And thanks to Porretta's performance, Dr. Darling's series of educational / journal videos was one of the most compelling in-game collectibles I've seen in a long time.
oopsbwkbu.gif

Darling's descent is great to watch.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
oopsbwkbu.gif

Darling's descent is great to watch.
So good.

With Darling he struck the perfect balance between being smart and knowledgeable as the head of research, but at the same time sort of in the dark like everyone else because of how crazy most of the stuff the FBC deals with is.

I really liked that aspect, helped sell how incredible / terrifying the FBC's work is. Even the highers up didn't really have a perfect grasp on everything they encountered.

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
Once you hit a certain point, can you not change outfits? I don't have the outfits option at any of the cleanse points anymore. Granted I've only found 2 outfits so far but i want to see what the new 1 looks like.

How many clearance levels are there? I ecsorted a guy with a level 9 card, but i just barely got 6 and it feels like I'm near the end.

Seneset

Oct 27, 2017
Limbus Patrum
Once you hit a certain point, can you not change outfits? I don't have the outfits option at any of the cleanse points anymore. Granted I've only found 2 outfits so far but i want to see what the new 1 looks like.

How many clearance levels are there? I ecsorted a guy with a level 9 card, but i just barely got 6 and it feels like I'm near the end.
Outfits can only be changed at one place, the Executive control point by the boardroom.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
This game is a masterpiece. Easily one of the best games I've ever played.

I felt so damn powerful at the end of the game. Similar to the gravity gun in Half Life 2. But the power grew naturally and slowly, not all at once. The music played at a certain section of the game just amplified my badass feeling.

SO GOOD!

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
This mentions stuff from Alan wake in it. SAme universe?

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
Nice to read all the glowing reviews on this page. I think I'm only a few hrs in but its been great so far. Trying to juggle this game alongside Gears 5 and Astral Chain. This month has been brutal

LiquidDom

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if I'm at the end (I would assume I'm close) but the fight after you release someone and there is just waves as you move up this area... it's so hard. I've died like 6 times now and it resets you from the beginning and it's just a pain. It is ruining the game for me, I wish this wasn't the case but man it's annoying as hell.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Started playing. Got to Research and stopped there.

Most interesting setting this gen, tied with Prey I think.

Phenomenal work to get the player captured and curious about the universe.

ScrewyAurum

Nov 3, 2017
Ok I dont know what to do. I uninstalled Control and now its completely missing from my EGS library. In the store it shows I own it but doesnt show up here. Support has not replied back yet (2 days)

213.PNG

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just finished the game. Its fun, a solid 7-8 game for me.

Side bosses where the most fun combat wise, but by about 75% of the game I was over shooting the same 4 enemies over and over.

The story is shitty but its held up by a really interesting world and setting. In many ways it feels its trying too hard, and I've seen similar motifs explored way better in books and even tabletop settings.

Terrible lipsync and weird facial animations ruin the immersion when watching those long conversations. The eyes of Jesse during the constant zoom ins were particularly bad.

Short enough that I will play the DLC when itsout.

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Finished the game yesterday, got the platinum trophy an hour and a half later. What an amazing ride, it definitely got a spot in my GOTY list.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
I don't know if I'm at the end (I would assume I'm close) but the fight after you release someone and there is just waves as you move up this area... it's so hard. I've died like 6 times now and it resets you from the beginning and it's just a pain. It is ruining the game for me, I wish this wasn't the case but man it's annoying as hell.

if you're talking about the floating area with waves, it's likely the end - It's not clear that you must kill all the enemies for more platforms to appear, since in the past every other "dream" sequence let you skip all the enemies. But you must. However you're super overpowered by now - you can usually kill every enemy with one or max two hits with anything thrown object. Just hide and kill. You'll get through it. There are only three sections to that area.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
if you're talking about the floating area with waves, it's likely the end - It's not clear that you must kill all the enemies for more platforms to appear, since in the past every other "dream" sequence let you skip all the enemies. But you must. However you're super overpowered by now - you can usually kill every enemy with one or max two hits with anything thrown object. Just hide and kill. You'll get through it. There are only three sections to that area.

Yeah, I didn't find any of the end game battles to be difficult at all.

LiquidDom

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It actually wasn't that one, it was the Polaris mission. I finished the game last night and that part you mention was way easier for me lol

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
Encountering my first optional boss (Fridge) for the first time : Yo what the hell I love this game

15 minutes later after falling off the map 5 times during that fight : Yo fuck this game

Seriously though the game is just getting better and better. I expected it to be good, but it just blew me away. I agree with whoever compared it to Prey in terms of world-building and atmosphere. Soooo engrossing

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Ok I dont know what to do. I uninstalled Control and now its completely missing from my EGS library. In the store it shows I own it but doesnt show up here. Support has not replied back yet (2 days)

213.PNG

The same thing happened to me. If I search my library for "Control", everything but the blank space will be filtered out, and the code is still listed among my redemption history, so the game is definitely still there. EGS just bugged out and rendered it invisible.

I had the idea to create a shortcut for Borderlands 3 and tweak it to install Control, but it seems "install" isn't a valid command, and using "launch" just generates an error message that says the game isn't installed.

ScrewyAurum

Nov 3, 2017
The same thing happened to me. If I search my library for "Control", everything but the blank space will be filtered out, and the code is still listed among my redemption history, so the game is definitely still there. EGS just bugged out and rendered it invisible.

I had the idea to create a shortcut for Borderlands 3 and tweak it to install Control, but it seems "install" isn't a valid command, and using "launch" just generates an error message that says the game isn't installed.

I fixed it by removing the local data for egs and restarting the app.

Dec 14, 2017
any tips for taking out the boss in the mail room?
Tomassi? Avoid line of sight with him and clear adds. When you have some space, hit Tomassi with grip and ideally with a headshot/damage mod. You can also try to get close and use shatter, but I don't recommend it, grip is more forgiving. You don't have a lot of abilities or upgrades, so focus on aiming and landing headshots.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Finally finished the game last night! Definitely a highlight of the year for me, but unfortunately I had a lot of frustrations with the game too due to the checkpoint system and some of the encounter designs. Now to finish the side missions and get that Platinum!

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
Seriously just are cool how the additional outfits in these

Got the golden and asynchronous suits, so badass

That's the kind of reward for side content that I enjoy

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Have I done everything? 28 missions complete, all powers upgraded, done the fire TV's thing, found
Alan Wake easter egg
....... not sure whats left. Playing on Epic store so dont have any achievements to tell me what I may have missed ........

Jay Shadow

Oct 28, 2017
Have I done everything? 28 missions complete, all powers upgraded, done the fire TV's thing, found
Alan Wake easter egg
....... not sure whats left. Playing on Epic store so dont have any achievements to tell me what I may have missed ........
That's the point that I stopped at. Don't know of anything else that needs tying up.

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OFjPEvb.jpg

I'm in a bit of a bind. Can't cleanse the control point here because one enemy has decided to clip outside the level. Jesse is in her alert combat animation, there's some noises near the control point which I presume are that of an enemy. Tried redoing this 3 times and it happens every time.

Edit: Ok cleared it on the fifth try. Hung back near the elevator door to make sure no one goes haywire in all that weird geometry and just let them come to me in the order they desired. This certainly took some wind out of my sails for now.

Last edited:

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
OFjPEvb.jpg

I'm in a bit of a bind. Can't cleanse the control point here because one enemy has decided to clip outside the level. Jesse is in her alert combat animation, there's some noises near the control point which I presume are that of an enemy. Tried redoing this 3 times and it happens every time.

Edit: Ok cleared it on the fifth try. Hung back near the elevator door to make sure no one goes haywire in all that weird geometry and just let them come to me in the order they desired. This certainly took some wind out of my sails for now.
Had the same thing, as did a few others. Restarting the game or console kicks it into gear faster. It knocked me a bit but keep going, good stuff ahead of you!

Salty Catfish

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Alan Wake easter egg
Did you get the Gold Suit? Otherwise I'm in the same situation and think that's pretty much everything.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I had to use a guide again to find where I'm supposed to go for my next main mission. This is one of the most frustrating things I've encountered in a modern game and certainly the worst map/checkpoint system ever. I got distracted doing some side-missions (doesn't help that they are all over the place) and now there's no marker on the map when fast traveling and the mission briefing doesn't clearly state where I'm supposed to go. I may just ignore side-missions from now on and focus on the main story to avoid this.

Oct 27, 2017
I had to use a guide again to find where I'm supposed to go for my next main mission. This is one of the most frustrating things I've encountered in a modern game and certainly the worst map/checkpoint system ever. I got distracted doing some side-missions (doesn't help that they are all over the place) and now there's no marker on the map when fast traveling and the mission briefing doesn't clearly state where I'm supposed to go. I may just ignore side-missions from now on and focus on the main story to avoid this.
The game highlights the exact area where the mission is located on the map, and you can see all of the areas at the control points. The game also tells you the area in the mission description. If you've selected another mission, you just have to reselect the main mission to get it to highlight the area it's located in. I don't believe I recall any of the missions not doing this, but I may be mistaken. The maps also very clearly label the various sectors. I think most people are overthinking the very simple system the game has.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The game highlights the exact area where the mission is located on the map, and you can see all of the areas at the control points. The game also tells you the area in the mission description. If you've selected another mission, you just have to reselect the main mission to get it to highlight the area it's located in. I don't believe I recall any of the missions not doing this, but I may be mistaken. The maps also very clearly label the various sectors. I think most people are overthinking the very simple system the game has.

the mission in question is "my brother's keeper". Nothing is highlighted on the map and the mission briefing simply states to go to the "containment sector"" and there's no such thing in the map (neither in the fast travel section nor the in game map).
I'm sure this is problematic only because I haven't played the game in some days and the last time I did I was traveling around the map doing side missions, but still, it sucks.
(Saw a guide and it was very simple to get to the mission afterwards)

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Been playing this very VERY slowly. Here and there.

I don't really know how the story / characters fare through the whole thing. I will admit I have not been super captivated so far.

BUT

It is one of the best games I have played in terms of controls (no pun intended). It is so smooth. Your character responds so well, there are tons of abilities you can get. It is a ton of fun.

The game design is phenomenal with lots of rewarding exploration giving you unique powers you would entirely miss out on.

Lots of new stuff to find with new abilities in previously visited areas etc...

The combat is incredibly satisfying. Even if you would think it is repetitive, it never really is because of the sheer amount of freedom you have to approach every encounter and your moveset being radically different over time.

I also enjoy the conversation system and I wouldn't mind seeing that expanded in the future.

As someone who could not stand Alan Wake (probably too disappointed by the pre-release marketing/ plans not being met) and Quantum Break this is such a huge huge step up for Remedy in my eyes.

I am actually really hyped for the Alan Wake crossover.
Control is the perfect template for whatever they want to build next.
As long as story and characters are interesting they're golden !

And glad to see it has a decent community. :D

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
Finished the game a few hours ago. Platinumed it a few minutes later, without having to look up a guide, which is always a big plus.

Won't have time to mess around with it for a while so I'll just wait for the additional content to dive back in.

Easy fuckin GOTY. Great story that's carried by some absolutely stellar world-building, fantastic level design that rewards exploration, extremely fun and responsive combat/abilities, side content that actually expands the game's lore, adds different kinds of challenges and give out cool rewards.

This whole experience was such a joyful ride of fucking weirdness.

Except the Threshold Kids, though. Fuck em Threshold Kids. Opening song is stuck in my head and they're the scariest thing in the game.

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a lifelong Remedy fan I have to say this Hedron Chamber boss fight is almost making me consider reselling my copy right now.