• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
As much fun as I'm having with the game, I'm beginning to wish it was more linear like Alan Wake as opposed to the Metroidvania style. Getting kinda tired of backtracking.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
Dumb dumb dumb complaint. The main actress looks older in game than she sounds and its driving me crazy.

Wintermute

Oct 27, 2017
Man you really should have been using Throw. Your read makes it sound like you were killing bosses with guns which is like, the wrong way to do things.

Also reads like you weren't using throw to toss those rockets back at their senders. Rocket dudes are only annoying if you're out there tanking rockets...which should never really happen. You can also use Throw to turn invis douches visible.

Like, Throw trivializes boss fights. For example, the Former fight that takes maybe 4-5 minutes of plinking away and stress with the gun takes about 40 seconds total time when simply throwing objects at it for massive damage. Mold-1 is a < 30 second fight with Throw properly leveled up.

i used throw a lot later in the game, honestly i find it's just a bit unbalanced, and yeah as you note it trivializes some bosses. the game makes such a big deal out of the the service weapon early on that i did focus on it at first, but yeah your psychic powers are by far your most useful and powerful assets. mostly i found bosses like mold-1 annoying because there are just such huge damage bursts it felt like a war of attrition, making its healthbar go down more quickly than my own, mostly because of the toxic floor.

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone had issues trying to just install Control on PC?

Just bought it on EGS, and when I click install, EGS crashes and the game never installs.

I've tried the usual like rebooting PC, updating nVidia drivers, reinstalling the Game Store, and launching the Game store as Administrator.

Still no love. Found a reddit thread where the same thing is happening to a bunch of people.

Dream_Journey

Oct 25, 2017
Hey anyone this where is answer for this case combination, i coundn't find it. :/

Mirror Mission

http:///NDDd.png

Jan 29, 2018
I played through a lot of this game wondering when I would start unlocking new weapon forms before I figured out I couldve done it all along.

TripOpt55

Oct 25, 2017
Finished this over the weekend. Just need to get one more trophy for the platinum. I loved this. The combat is really solid. Fun mix of gunplay and powers. I'm a sucker for being really mobile in combat and once you get all the abilities, this one definitely checks that box. The story is really cool. It just has a lot of the sci-fi elements I love so much. The presentation is really something too. That and the setting are really top-notch. They take this mundane office building and do all kinds of wild stuff with it. And I love some of the little presentational things like the big bold location titles when you first go somewhere or the visions sort of just bleeding into and showing through the environments themselves. I liked the non-linear structure too. There were some very worthwhile side missions. This is my Game of the Year so far. Excited to see what they do with the DLC and whatever Remedy does after that!

Jan 29, 2018
Is this a bug? I'm on my way to
the Ordinary AWE area and it looks like I should be able to interact with this Control Point to reconfigure the room and proceed to the Turntable, but the "Cleanse" prompt wont come up.

Roldan

Oct 29, 2017
Edit: Okay i see, i must be tired lol. Thanks!

No problem!

Is this a bug? I'm on my way to
the Ordinary AWE area and it looks like I should be able to interact with this Control Point to reconfigure the room and proceed to the Turntable, but the "Cleanse" prompt wont come up.

That has happened to me as well, it's a bug. I warped back to elsewhere (executive floor) and went back there, and the prompt showed up.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Arish is so fucking uncanny valley it's insane. I can't tell if it's his 2D teeth, giant head, or what.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
Already my top pick for GOTY and I am not even done yet.
It just ticks all of the boxes for what I personally enjoy out of a video game.
Bonkers sci-fi big brother-esque story. Amazing gunplay with some telekinesis and super powers thrown in. An overall oppressing vibe.
Also in my 40 years of playing video games I seriously cannot remember the last time I read / listened / watched every collectible in a game. I think the closest I have come is listening to the audio diaries in Bioshock.
I just find the whole world and lore established fan-fucking-tastic.
I just really enjoy Sam Lake's crazy ass writing and overall aesthetic / approach.
Just no doubt whatsoever my current pick for GOTY.

Speaking of almost being done, I just finished the Ashtray Maze during my last session and then got a bit further.
That sequence was no doubt everything people have made it out to be. All except the song. I really could have done without the song. That is so far my line critique. I personally have zero issues whatsoever with the back tracking. Not only do they make it easy to do with the fast travel, in almost every single instance there is incentive to do so, from being able to open a new door to your upgraded security clearance to being able to reach new places thanks to upgraded abilities. It 90% of the time has been worth retreading visited places. It also means I have come completely familiar with every area.

Anyway just curious approximately how much longer do I have for the main missions if I am slightly past the maze? Thinking maybe I will focus on a few of those side missions first if I am close.

Just a brilliant game I cannot praise enough. Not just my current GOTY but one of my top games of this generation. And there's been some outright classics on that list.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Already my top pick for GOTY and I am not even done yet.
It just ticks all of the boxes for what I personally enjoy out of a video game.
Bonkers sci-fi big brother-esque story. Amazing gunplay with some telekinesis and super powers thrown in. An overall oppressing vibe.
Also in my 40 years of playing video games I seriously cannot remember the last time I read / listened / watched every collectible in a game. I think the closest I have come is listening to the audio diaries in Bioshock.
I just find the whole world and lore established fan-fucking-tastic.
I just really enjoy Sam Lake's crazy ass writing and overall aesthetic / approach.
Just no doubt whatsoever my current pick for GOTY.

Speaking of almost being done, I just finished the Ashtray Maze during my last session and then got a bit further.
That sequence was no doubt everything people have made it out to be. All except the song. I really could have done without the song. That is so far my line critique. I personally have zero issues whatsoever with the back tracking. Not only do they make it easy to do with the fast travel, in almost every single instance there is incentive to do so, from being able to open a new door to your upgraded security clearance to being able to reach new places thanks to upgraded abilities. It 90% of the time has been worth retreading visited places. It also means I have come completely familiar with every area.

Anyway just curious approximately how much longer do I have for the main missions if I am slightly past the maze? Thinking maybe I will focus on a few of those side missions first if I am close.

Just a brilliant game I cannot praise enough. Not just my current GOTY but one of my top games of this generation. And there's been some outright classics on that list.

The documents in Control are indeed on of the highlights of the game. I think there might be too many of them, but the majority justifies its existence. But more important than all that: they talk to each other, with the game and with the characters. They are not simply a different side of the FBC you're not going to see, they are an integral part of what you`re experience.

One example:

ocEWeZb.png

I tought the refrigarator caused the collapse at first, but reading it again later I realized that's not it. This is an origin story. What caused the refrigarator to become an altered item the way it is was the ritualistic behavior of the mother, her beliefs and possibly her grief. Those causes and effects are all talked about in many other documents.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
I really like the bosses (optional ones especially) so far, didn't expect them to be a decent challenge and even being interesting in design.
Loving the game, it's fun as heck and the world/leveldesign/structure is really grabbing me more and more.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Tonight I fired up Control, put "My Dark Disquiet" by Poets on a loop and jumped back into the final Tommasi fight.

A few more deaths and I finally finished it. My journey for Control is complete... for now.

Given I struggled a bit with this fight, I figured I owed this thread my approach to beating it:

1) Immediately on entering the area, get to the upper gantry. Once you're up there, pick one of the sides and lurk around the edge of the "bridge", without actually getting up onto it. This will be your safe zone; Tomassi's projectiles can almost always be avoided by standing here.

2) Using Pierce, strafe along the gantry and take shots at Tomassi to remove his shield and eventually start doing damage. You may sometimes need to hover over the edge briefly, if he hides underneath you. Make sure you watch him carefully; once you see him building his projectiles, move back towards the edge of the bridge and use it as cover.

3) Once you've done enough damage, he'll summon a wave of foes. The flying exploding guys are easy - I switched to Shatter and killed them at medium/close range, making sure to keep using the edge of the bridge as cover in case Tomassi starts attacking again. They'll drop easily reachable health if you take them out as they float over the bridge.

4) The trickier ones are the big angry bird guys. In my runs, they tended to only spawn on the gantry and not the bridge, which made them easier to spot. Keep your eyes peeled, and check your sides rapidly until you find where it's hiding. As soon as you become aware there's one lurking, have some rubble ready to fire. Once they manifest for real, quickly dodge back from them once or twice (to avoid splash damage), then throw your rubble. Follow up with a full clip from Shatter and keep your distance. They should disappear by the end of that volley; once they do, reset and do the process again until they're dead.

5) Keep up the process from earlier now. Hit Tomassi with Pierce, hide from his attacks, repeat.

6) There'll be at least one more wave of foes. In my runs, the only ones I had to deal with from the gantry were the floating exploders and the bird guys, which meant I could just do the same as I had earlier.

7) Keep hitting Tomassi with Pierce (or Shatter, if he comes close) until he's dead. Make sure you have shield at the ready if you find yourself too far from your safe zone; we all get greedy from time to time.

Last edited:

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Patch 1.03 dropped, says bug fixes and performance improvement. Dunn if it actually fixes Pierce.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Already uninstalled it on PS4 to make room for other games, but if the patch fixes Pierce and spawn bugs for the "Old Friends" side-quest, I'll reinstall it!

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
I'm a huge fan of Remedy and while I thought Quantum Break was a mis-step this is them really back to form. Solid combat gameplay and great pacing.

ethranes

A King's Landing
Oct 27, 2017
can I ask did anyone see a big hand sticking out of the roof in a room in the medical wing, where you fight the mold, it was sucking in nearby objects. I have no idea why it was there, and can't find anything on google about it?

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
Nice they fixed old friends quest, and the progression bug regarding The Face of the Enemy:

General
– Bug and crash fixes to missions, combat and overall game play
– Fixed multiple issues with the PC launcher related to DX11/DX12 crashes

Performance
– Improved title stability on all platforms
– Improved general frame-rate performance through optimisations made to multiple systems and content

UI
– Improved map loading times (map will no longer tease information)
– Motion Blur On/Off toggle added to Options menu
– Film Grain On/Off toggle added to Options menu
– Fixed incorrect UI behaviour on ultra-wide monitors (PC)
– Fixed multiple issues when incorrect subtitles are shown for multiple languages
– Fixed issue when the game centers the aim on Jesse's head
– Fixed multiple UI related issues

Progression
– Fixed an issue when player could not acquire 'Pierce Charging Efficiency' and 'Spin Grouping Efficiency' upgrade
– Fixed issue when Crafting Charge and personal Mods would not give the Weapon/Mod but take the materials (Sorry. The Board was greedy)
– Fixed issue that prevented players activating the Pierce weapon form upgrade
– Fixed issue when Jesse is unable to cleanse the 'Transit Corridor South' Control point upon returning from Prime Candidate Program area in the mission The Face of the Enemy
– Fixed an issue when Heptonstall would not spawn during certain story missions in the "Old Friends" side-mission (still looking for his buddy Remus)

– Fixed issue when Hiss Barrier remains in the Directorial Override mission's Control Room if the player dies during the binding cut scene

Sound
– Fixed issue when certain licensed music tracks play after enabling the 'Mute Copyrighted Tracks' option
– Fixed and issue when audio is out of sync in the Dr Darling videos (PS4)

Misc
– Fixed issue with the Charge weapon forms erroneous blast radius causing (way) too much visual damage to the environments
– Fixed an issue where game would stall when completing a story mission and unlocking a trophy (PS4)

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Very good patch, though I don't understand the Remus comment for "Old Friends". Remus' the one I have problems with...

vidaisonline

Community Manager at Remedy Entertainment
Verified
Feb 2, 2018
the update is out, like you already noticed! go here to read the full notes.

we'll keep listening to feedback, thanks for everything everyone's contributed so far!

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
How is the performance of this game on PS4 Pro? The game looks like i would love it. But i heard the performance wasn't that great at launch.
How is it now?

vidaisonline

Community Manager at Remedy Entertainment
Verified
Feb 2, 2018
You know when the patch will get released on PC and Xbox?
it should be on PC already, for Xbox I couldn't tell you an exact time except 'soon', but we'll let you know when it's live

Meh, so no updated Map Marker?
that was never planned - in our community update two weeks ago we said we'd be working on improving map load times :D the map loads now, I've had a spin on ps4 pro and it seems good!