• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 18, 2018
I just got the platinum and I'll be very surprised if anything else beats this as my GotY. I feel a little bit lost and sad now there's nothing else to do, which is always a sign of a good game. The story and lore was great and I loved how finding a collectible actually felt like a reward instead of just shit you pick up because the game wants you to.

Combat was awesome and I thought it was really well balanced, making the gun and powers both essential. I really enjoyed how liberally you could use the powers; there was enough of a cooldown that meant you had to alternate with your gun, but it was generous enough that your powers were a major part of the combat. And it was challenging enough to be satisfying without being frustrating. I even enjoyed the bosses, which are usually my least favourite part of a game, and I was very proud that I managed to kill Mr Tommasi on my third try.

Hopefully we won't have to wait too long for the expansions because I really want more of this game.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
There's so much Alan Wake material in this, especially near the end. I'd absolutely love it if the final DLC for Control acts as a lead in toward Alan Wake 2.

If I remember correctly the two DLC missions in Alan Wake were really different than the main game and some of the most compelling parts of it, gameplay wise. They were very similar to Control what with the weirdness and throwing out the laws logic.

AWizardDidIt

Oct 28, 2017
The Former? He's not so bad if you just launch, launch, launch.

With a fully-upgraded Launch, I didn't even see the floor open.
Specifically, use Launch on the orbs he shoots at you. Those do a *ton* of damage. Also always be levitating.

I actually finished the game without knowing he could open the floor. I dont actually think he ever hit me as anytime he slammed the floor I was levitating and just dodged to evade it.

Oct 25, 2017
Just jumping into this thread to say that it is amazing. I'm not sure how far into the game I am (just finished the
Brother's Keeper
mission), but everything about it is just great. Story/lore, mix of gunplay and powers, really great lead character, fantastic atmosphere.

Oh and the craziest thing is that I've already gotten the achievement for 120 collectibles, and I'm still worried about missing a lot of them. Reading/listening/watching everything is just so rewarding to the overall experience.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I love how eerie the atmosphere is which perfectly fits with the brutalist architecture and psych thriller narrative. Exploring every nook and cranny is actually worth it, even just looking at posters on noticeboards. Reminds of Alan Wake and Prey in the best ways.

Dream_Journey

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, this music keep me from playing game, listening third time from game, so beautiful! <3

Why not in Spotify though. :/

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone have the background art from the menu where you can listen to Trench's messages again? I want to use Jesse on the phone as an avatar.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Got the plat tonight. Played on a base PS4, and even with some of the slowdown (which seems to have improved quite a bit w/ today's patch), I still think this is one of the best games of the year. 9/10

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
This boss fight against
former
is so trash.
It isn't bad at all, just make sure you have max Launch and upgrade the time on Levitate some. Levitate constantly and use dodge when tentacle arms try to smash you. The mods to reduce launch cost and reduce dodge cost help and I threw on an increased health mod too. Also the thing the boss throws at you can be thrown right back using launch doing massive damage if you hit the critical spot (pretty obvious spot to hit).

Anyone know best spot to find the rare component to upgrade Pierce? I still need 1 more.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
This boss fight against
former
is so trash.
My approach was the same as Reinhard's. Only thing I will add is that you should levitate the whole time when Former is lashing out with it's limbs (and dodge side to side), and then just stand on top of a column when it's not. That way you won't fall through a hole in the ground that you can't see, which is what killed me constantly until I adopted that approach.

Young Liar

Nov 30, 2017
So I've been waiting on performance fixes for the game before buying since I only have a base PS4 to play this on. How is it now with the latest patch?

Nov 30, 2017
I feel a little bit lost and sad now there's nothing else to do, which is always a sign of a good game.
Same. The last couple of evenings I've tried to play something else and found that all I want is to do is go back to the oldest house, but there's nothing left for me to do. I'd love to start a fresh play through but the PC version doesn't allow multiple saves :(

Such a brilliant game. I almost always enjoy devouring lore and reading miscellaneous, er... readables in games, but it's rare that a game is able to make me anticipate discovering the next collectable document just as much, if not more, than I do the next encounter, area or story beat.

Feels like a return to form for Remedy after after the dull Quantum Break. I hope there's a sequel, and I'd still love to see Alan Wake 2 someday.

Wintermute

Oct 27, 2017
does it feel to anyone like things aren't over with the former? i feel like the beef between it and the board is far from over. i was also kinda assuming that we'd fight it a third time.

spacer

Oct 30, 2017
I finished the game last night. Ended up getting all of the achievements except for one. Volatile Debris - shield burst is just utter garbage and barely does any damage. I used it a few times, but it took 4 or 5 tries to kill a normal soldier from full health. So I didn't bother using it after that. Overall, I thought the game was great but definitely not my GOTY.

Things I liked:
  • Combat - it was just flat out awesome. The programmers did a great job with Telekinesis, because it was just so easy to use and it almost always did what I wanted it to do. The guns were standard issue for an action game, imo, but they were useful throughout and also fun to use. Grip with +121% headshot damage and two armor piercing mods was basically all I needed.
  • Lore - I read or watched every single piece I picked up, which is not something I can say about most other games. All of it was fantastic, clever, and fun to read.
  • Voice acting - not much to be said about this. I think all of the actors did really well.
Things I did not like:
  • The ending - holy shit the ending. What an utter let down. This is what kept the game from being my GOTY, to be honest. Everything else about it was awesome, but this killed it for me. And if Remedy uses the two planned DLCs to actually wrap up the story and charge for it, I will never buy another one of their games again.
  • Performance and glitches - this was probably one of the most buggy, big budget games I have played in a long time. I was playing on an Xbox One X, and still had framerate issues during combat and bad load times. I fell through the floor numerous times (which required me to wait the 10 seconds to fall and die, wait out the load times, and then restart whatever I was doing). The audio for a lot of the recordings and multimedia collectibles didn't work. Thankfully I always play with subtitles on, otherwise I wouldn't have known what was said. One important conversation with an NPC also glitched where both the audio and subtitles didn't work. Yeah, they can patch a lot of this stuff, but now that I'm done with the game, it's a moot point.
  • Facial animations were not great. Some were even awful. These definitely detracted from the dialog scenes.

Oct 25, 2017
I finished the game last night. Ended up getting all of the achievements except for one. Volatile Debris - shield burst is just utter garbage and barely does any damage. I used it a few times, but it took 4 or 5 tries to kill a normal soldier from full health. So I didn't bother using it after that. Overall, I thought the game was great but definitely not my GOTY.

You don't need to get the kill from full health. You just need to get the enemy to a low enough health with your weapon and then finish off with the power.

vidaisonline

Community Manager at Remedy Entertainment
Verified
Feb 2, 2018
CONTROL_post_launch_roadmap_FINAL.jpg

here's what the new content we'll be introducing into control will look like!

please look over to our new community blog to see what that means in detail!

spacer

Oct 30, 2017
You don't need to get the kill from full health. You just need to get the enemy to a low enough health with your weapon and then finish off with the power.
Yeah I know, but by the time I unlocked that ability, Launch was basically one-shotting everything except heavies, and heavies would just need a launch and 2 or 3 headshots with grip. So either way, it was less efficient. It was clearly underpowered compared to all of your other tools, which is why I didn't bother using it.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
The Dark Presence is about to get half a building's worth of masonry flung at its head by a woman dressed like a game-show host.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
Great teases for the new mode and expansions :) Can't wait

On the other side, I still can't upgrade any weapon above lvl 2, and still can't upgrade pierce. didn't the patch correct that ? I really want my platinum please!

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Fell off this game a bit after being at two side quest bosses and getting kind of mad at both of them and then the checkpoint running back making each death more annoying.
The Anchor and the Mold.
The fact that they seem able to kill in around two attacks is pretty annoying, and sometimes I'm getting killed by attacks I don't even see. I guess I probably need to be using Shield more?

newgamewhodis

Oct 28, 2017
Brooklyn
Expeditions sounds cool. I wonder if it'll come with NG+ or difficulty sliders. But the fact that they've recognized that this is a combat system and environment we'd like to spend more time with is great.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Fell off this game a bit after being at two side quest bosses and getting kind of mad at both of them and then the checkpoint running back making each death more annoying.
The Anchor and the Mold.
The fact that they seem able to kill in around two attacks is pretty annoying, and sometimes I'm getting killed by attacks I don't even see. I guess I probably need to be using Shield more?

For the Anchor:
Equip some + to launch damage. Throw red clock into the sphere when it opens, run to next, repeat. You will probably need to throw one floaty guy, so kill all but one and hold him until the sphere opens at you again.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada