• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 30, 2017
On the other side, I still can't upgrade any weapon above lvl 2, and still can't upgrade pierce. didn't the patch correct that ? I really want my platinum please!
I can confirm the Pierce upgrade bug is fixed on PC. It did require something to trigger it though, because it still wasn't available when I loaded my (post-ending) save but a few minutes later after fast travelling a couple of times I happened to look again and it was there. I had all the materials too, so I could just immediately upgrade it twice.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
CONTROL_post_launch_roadmap_FINAL.jpg

here's what the new content we'll be introducing into control will look like!

please look over to our new community blog to see what that means in detail!
So. Hyped. The new game mode looks great and the expansions better have at least 20 documents per room 😉

Vida let me down gently, is there any chance of Ashtray Maze being replayable?

Late Flag

alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Finished the game yesterday, and then made a beeline for
Tomassi
. I gave it 5-6 attempts and then decided that I'm just not going to platinum this one. This particular fight isn't really challenging as much as it's just cheap, even compared to the other side-mission bosses.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
I can confirm the Pierce upgrade bug is fixed on PC. It did require something to trigger it though, because it still wasn't available when I loaded my (post-ending) save but a few minutes later after fast travelling a couple of times I happened to look again and it was there. I had all the materials too, so I could just immediately upgrade it twice.
Thanks. Well I don't know what's up with my save. I'm post game too, loaded the game yesterday, no upgrade available for Pierce or for any of my lvl 2 guns. I played for 20 minutes doing incursions, changing guns and using the fast travel. I checked again before stopping, and I still can't upgrade anything beyond lvl 2 :( on ps4 if that matters

Grimace McRib

Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
So. Hyped. The new game mode looks great and the expansions better have at least 20 documents per room 😉

Vida let me down gently, is there any chance of Ashtray Maze being replayable?

No kidding. Finished the game yesterday but still have some side missions to play through. Absolutely love the game and would be beyond happy to have a replayable Ashtray Maze available.

spacer

Oct 30, 2017
Tomassi
. I gave it 5-6 attempts and then decided that I'm just not going to platinum this one. This particular fight isn't really challenging as much as it's just cheap, even compared to the other side-mission bosses.
Here is how I beat him:
  • Use Pierce and Shatter
  • Don't bother using Launch against Tomassi. he almost always dodges whatever you throw at him. Save your energy for the adds in the later phases.
  • During phase 1, just hide behind the pillars on the floor and use Pierce to get Tomassi's health down to 2/3.
  • Once phase 2 starts (he summons adds) immediately levitate to the rafters/ledges on either side of the arena. Hide on these ledges near the cross-beam bridge thing and use it to block/avoid Tomassi's attacks.
  • Never leave the rafters/ledges. Remain here for the rest of the fight.
  • From up on the rafters/ledges launch things at the floaters to take them out, and be on the look out for the distorted coming up to you. (it takes a while, because it has to run up the stairs and over to you, but once it does, you have a pretty clear shot at it since it can only come from one direction)
  • Use the cross-beam bridge to switch sides periodically if Tomassi gets too close or stays in a position where you can't shoot at him. This is also useful during phase 3 when heavy soldiers are summoned. Must like the distorted, they have to run up to you. So you just cross the bridge and shoot them at a safe distance.
  • All the while, use Pierce to take pot shots at Tomassi
To be honest, I died a few times on this boss until I noticed the rafters. Once I did, I beat it on the next try.
You can do it Late Flag! Get that Platinum!

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Here is how I beat him:
  • Use Pierce and Shatter
  • Don't bother using Launch against Tomassi. he almost always dodges whatever you throw at him. Save your energy for the adds in the later phases.
  • During phase 1, just hide behind the pillars on the floor and use Pierce to get Tomassi's health down to 2/3.
  • Once phase 2 starts (he summons adds) immediately levitate to the rafters/ledges on either side of the arena. Hide on these ledges near the cross-beam bridge thing and use it to block/avoid Tomassi's attacks.
  • From up on the rafters/ledges launch things at the floaters to take them out, and be on the look out for the distorted coming up to you. (it takes a while, because it has to run up the stairs and over to you, but once it does, you have a pretty clear shot at it since it can only come from one direction)
  • Use the cross-beam bridge to switch sides periodically if Tomassi gets too close or stays in a position where you can't shoot at him. This is also useful during phase 3 when heavy soldiers are summoned. Must like the distorted, they have to run up to you. So you just cross the bridge and shoot them at a safe distance.
To be honest, I died a few times on this boss until I noticed the rafters. Once I did, I beat it on the next try.

Just a counterpoint to that - I used Launch pretty exclusively on him and took him down pretty quick. The trick is to just hold the Launch button for a short enough time to ensure it's locked onto him and that you have an object. Just grab and launch as quickly as you can as many times as you can in quick succession. He can usually avoid the first one, but you can usually peg him with the remaining launches, and it takes chunks out of him.

If you you're close enough to him (on the rafters, of course), often he can't even avoid the first one. Just be sure to focus on the invisible guy as soon as he appears and you should be set.

Late Flag

alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Here is how I beat him:
  • Use Pierce and Shatter
Hmmm. I had no idea that strategy was even possible. Might have to give this one another go. Thanks!

spacer

Oct 30, 2017
Just a counterpoint to that - I used Launch pretty exclusively on him and took him down pretty quick. The trick is to just hold the Launch button for a short enough time to ensure it's locked onto him and that you have an object. Just grab and launch as quickly as you can as many times as you can in quick succession. He can usually avoid the first one, but you can usually peg him with the remaining launches, and it takes chunks out of him.

If you you're close enough to him (on the rafters, of course), often he can't even avoid the first one. Just be sure to focus on the invisible guy as soon as he appears and you should be set.
Yeah I was able to hit him once or twice, but it wasn't consistent. That's why I just stuck to using Pierce instead. But maybe when I play again, I'll give Launch another shot.

Jay Shadow

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I was able to hit him once or twice, but it wasn't consistent. That's why I just stuck to using Pierce instead. But maybe when I play again, I'll give Launch another shot.
I save launch for whenever he tries a dive attack. After blocking it he is stunned in front of you briefly, and it's open season for launches.

spacer

Oct 30, 2017
I save launch for whenever he tries a dive attack. After blocking it he is stunned in front of you briefly, and it's open season for launches.
Oh, you're right. He is stunned a bit afterwards. I always seemed to take damage from his dive while using my shield. Maybe it wasn't high enough level at the time. Another thing to try!

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I've been meaning to explain why I dislike Alan Wake being so directly tied to Control and in general my disappointment with Control's story and lore. While I'll ultimately be glad if the game allows for an actual AW follow-up, I still have to lay out why I'm not thrilled with the connection to Control.
Now, I've always enjoyed that Remedy's games all tend to have small connections to each other. Max Payne is actually a fictional character from a book Alan Wake wrote. Alan Wake itself appearing to be part of a TV show in Quantum Break. Etc. All of these are pretty neat, but none actually ruin the themes or story of the games they are connecting, that is until Control. You see, Control isn't just a small nod to Alan Wake, Control is part of the same universe as Alan Wake. The mysteries that Wake deals with in AW are just a small drop in a larger world tied to Control. And, this is to me what causes Control to ruin Alan Wake.

Before Control, Alan Wake was it's own separate little mystery which we had no real answers to yet. You could have fun speculating about various bits all while keeping yourself in the same isolated view as the titular character. Alan Wake was it's own horror-mystery. Unfortunately, Control ruins all that by directly stating that what's happening in AW is just another AWE. A common occurrence in our world and one of many. What this means is that the problems Alan Wake is dealing with has a direct answer, but also that it is just a minor drop in the bucket in an infinite sea of strange things happening all over the world. Yeah, great Alan Wake is trapped in a dark, mirror world ocean. But, in that same world there exists multiple dimensions of reality, one where an entire Bureau seeks to contain and research these events aided by some Cosmic/Extra Dimensional entities called The Board. Why do I care about AW now that he exists in the same universe as The Board?

Of course, this speaks to a larger problem I have with Control's "mystery," which to me just wasn't very interesting. Control's world is simply too big for me to care about the little mysteries it props up, especially when an answer is so readily available, ie extra-dimensional weird shit. Great, a Refrigerator houses some entity. What is that entity? Well, it's probably a being from another dimension. Why does this Object of Power cause Gravity to shift weird? Probably because it comes from another dimension. What's The Board? Probably entities from another Dimension. What's The Hiss? Being let in from another dimension. You get the point. Control's world basically allows for ANYTHING to happen because other dimensions exist and when ANYTHING is possible then suddenly nothing becomes surprising or interesting.

Alan Wake's world and mystery was far more confined, as the best mysteries are. I don't know what the Black Ocean/Darkness is, I didn't know where it came from, what it wants, if it's isolated to that one town, it's connection to Alan, or anything like that. And, that created an interesting mystery. Control blows things up too large by presenting too large a "mystery" whose answers are ultimately not interesting enough to pursue as it all can be grouped into "dimensional shit."

I'm rambling, but that's just the gist of how I felt about Control as well as the AW connection. I prefer a tighter, smaller mystery to some grand conspiracy theory that ties all conspiracy theories ever together.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Tomassi
Here is how I beat him:
  • Use Pierce and Shatter

Can confirm this method works.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
how was the recent patch on PS4Pro, is the game running better now? thinking about jumping in in the next days but i want to know if it is running solid now

Rapture

Oct 26, 2017
Does this game have any planned DLC or a season pass? Just wondering if it'll have more story content, or if the base game is just it similar to Quantum Break.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
I've been meaning to explain why I dislike Alan Wake being so directly tied to Control and in general my disappointment with Control's story and lore. While I'll ultimately be glad if the game allows for an actual AW follow-up, I still have to lay out why I'm not thrilled with the connection to Control.
Now, I've always enjoyed that Remedy's games all tend to have small connections to each other. Max Payne is actually a fictional character from a book Alan Wake wrote. Alan Wake itself appearing to be part of a TV show in Quantum Break. Etc. All of these are pretty neat, but none actually ruin the themes or story of the games they are connecting, that is until Control. You see, Control isn't just a small nod to Alan Wake, Control is part of the same universe as Alan Wake. The mysteries that Wake deals with in AW are just a small drop in a larger world tied to Control. And, this is to me what causes Control to ruin Alan Wake.

Before Control, Alan Wake was it's own separate little mystery which we had no real answers to yet. You could have fun speculating about various bits all while keeping yourself in the same isolated view as the titular character. Alan Wake was it's own horror-mystery. Unfortunately, Control ruins all that by directly stating that what's happening in AW is just another AWE. A common occurrence in our world and one of many. What this means is that the problems Alan Wake is dealing with has a direct answer, but also that it is just a minor drop in the bucket in an infinite sea of strange things happening all over the world. Yeah, great Alan Wake is trapped in a dark, mirror world ocean. But, in that same world there exists multiple dimensions of reality, one where an entire Bureau seeks to contain and research these events aided by some Cosmic/Extra Dimensional entities called The Board. Why do I care about AW now that he exists in the same universe as The Board?

Of course, this speaks to a larger problem I have with Control's "mystery," which to me just wasn't very interesting. Control's world is simply too big for me to care about the little mysteries it props up, especially when an answer is so readily available, ie extra-dimensional weird shit. Great, a Refrigerator houses some entity. What is that entity? Well, it's probably a being from another dimension. Why does this Object of Power cause Gravity to shift weird? Probably because it comes from another dimension. What's The Board? Probably entities from another Dimension. What's The Hiss? Being let in from another dimension. You get the point. Control's world basically allows for ANYTHING to happen because other dimensions exist and when ANYTHING is possible then suddenly nothing becomes surprising or interesting.

Alan Wake's world and mystery was far more confined, as the best mysteries are. I don't know what the Black Ocean/Darkness is, I didn't know where it came from, what it wants, if it's isolated to that one town, it's connection to Alan, or anything like that. And, that created an interesting mystery. Control blows things up too large by presenting too large a "mystery" whose answers are ultimately not interesting enough to pursue as it all can be grouped into "dimensional shit."

I'm rambling, but that's just the gist of how I felt about Control as well as the AW connection. I prefer a tighter, smaller mystery to some grand conspiracy theory that ties all conspiracy theories ever together.

I agree completely. The more lore you collect the more it goes from fun Easter Eggs to "oh you're taking this seriously". The Remedy Game Universe. It's like the FBC are just the devs themselves and all their games accessed from its archives.

AlternateAir

Oct 27, 2017
I agree completely. The more lore you collect the more it goes from fun Easter Eggs to "oh you're taking this seriously". The Remedy Game Universe. It's like the FBC are just the devs themselves and all their games accessed from its archives.

Eh, I mean I see what you and BossAttack are getting at - but personally I appreciated that this one went for more than an easter egg.

I think all of the collectables and documents you can find surrounding bringing Alan Wake into the Control universe was handled in a manner where they almost seemed to go out of their way to keep the events of AW as large at they seemed in the original game. From the FBCs end - they don't really have a complete picture of the events. They just know something went down with AW in Bright Falls, and that it was probably an AWE and now AW is missing. They really don't know much at all about the events of the game. There is also the bit where they specifically state that the FBC was keeping an eye on Wake because he could have been a Prime Candidate. Which to me, doesn't belittle the events of AW but puts them in even greater context.

It actually reminds me a lot of Stephen King using little easter eggs in his books that reference other works of his, but then having the Dark Tower series that actually attempts to provide some context to how that could even be. And given Alan Wake's obvious King influences, that's another layer that just makes me smile at how Remedy is handling this.

Mr Delabee

Oct 25, 2017
UK

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Got to post game. I think I've done all the side missions. Fully upgraded Jesse. This is my new favorite game.

Tomassi kicked my ass over and over for like two hours but I got him in the end. Didn't think to use the rafters to stay away from the distorted. That would have been smart.

So now what? Just explore and do the timed missions that pop up?

Mr Delabee

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Got to post game. I think I've done all the side missions. Fully upgraded Jesse. This is my new favorite game.

Tomassi kicked my ass over and over for like two hours but I got him in the end. Didn't think to use the rafters to stay away from the distorted. That would have been smart.

So now what? Just explore and do the timed missions that pop up?

Could go on the ultimate collectible hunt, also there's some small snippets of new dialogue in certain areas after you have finished the game.

Here's the full list of collectibles and missions.

There's a total of 261 (PC/Xbox) 262 (PS4).

• 201 documents (202 on PlayStation b/c of the exclusive side mission)
  • 23 audio logs
  • 7 images
  • 3 songs
  • 21 Darling videos
  • 6 Threshold Kids videos

Late Flag

alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Here is how I beat him:
  • Use Pierce and Shatter
This strategy worked perfectly on my second try. (First try, I took serious damage getting to that part of the arena because I didn't quite know if I could levitate all the way there or not. Second try was effortless.) Thanks!

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I'll say one thing, banging my head against Tomassi really honed me into a sharp edge of death. I had no problems with the last two main fights after.

Oct 25, 2017
My god, what were they thinking with some of these boss fights? I love what they're going for with the spectacle of them, but they should have made these fights dead easy in consideration of their poorly-suited checkpoint system and for the sake of their storytelling. It is a not-insignificant detriment to the game at large.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
Excited about the Alan Wake content. I really hope Remedy does an Alan Wake/American Nightmare 4K/HDR collection for PS4/Xbox One and a Switch version. Seems like easy money and a way to get more people into the Alan Wake games.

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017
I don't really like the save / health system. Was doing a side mission when some snipers got my health low. Which meant I had two options: Either backtrack a long way to a control point to regen health. Or continue and risk getting killed. Of course I was then insta killed by another sniper, and respawned at a control point in a completely different area. Why can't we at least have slow health regeneration out of combat, when we already have ammunition regeneration?

Last edited:

GS_Dan

Oct 30, 2017
Tomassi
If you're still struggling, I found a way to cheese that fight pretty easily. Hide underneath the building at the back of the room, coming out and taking shots with pierce. He won't be able to hit you, so when the goons come you can take them out easily.
Edit: glad you got it :)

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
I don't really like the save / health system. Was doing a side mission when some snipers got my health low. Which meant I had two options: Either backtrack a long way to a control point to regen health. Or continue and risk getting killed. Of course I was then insta killed by another sniper, and respawned at a control point in a completely different area. Why can't we at least have slow health regeneration out of combat, when we already have ammunition regeneration?
You'll always respawn at the last control point you interacted with, rather than the nearest one to where you died.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Never minded the health system personally. The mods for health are solid and more than a few times I've been red and had to coordinate a dash through them to get some blue specks, or lure them close with a 3ft shard of concrete ready to greet them. There's been a load of tense fights because of it, bosses dropping blues between stages is a nice movement prod too.

Lima

Oct 26, 2017
So I'm on mission 5 I think? Wanted to get some info on which weapons to craft and use. I unlocked shatter, Pierce and spin so far.

Shatter seems the most useful. Spin is kinda bad?

Pierce is too situational I feel like. Is it worth it to make charge next or would you rather upgrade shatter?

Talk to me you Control experts.