• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
Feel like I've been tricked into playing a horror game whenever I'm playing this. Really enjoying it so far.

A nitpick though, the map is the worst video game map I've EVER seen, almost completely unusable to navigate with, I'd almost rather not have it.

Agree, it's awful and counter intuitive. For example on the map you use an elevator in the north and in the next map the elevator is in the south when you get off. So there is no way to match up areas above/below each other. And the dark areas you don't know if they're above or below you and if there is even a way to get to them in your current path.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
I did have my gripes about the end game:

the final fight was just waves of enemies, which felt excessive considering you did the same thing during the Polaris/Hedron chamber mission. Granted, in the final area you're extra strong, but it was very lame. Even more, you don't even fight Dylan! Then suddenly he's in a coma. It felt very flat, especially after the Ashtray Maze section.

Agreed. The end area really bummed me out after the credits rolled and I realized that was the actual end. No real boss, and the main issue was just not falling off the area. I also felt that either the mystery wasn't explained or if it was and it was that simple, then I already knew it before I got to the end, so it wasn't surprising

foxdvd

Oct 30, 2017
I am about 10 hours into this I think. I have one question for those that have used the mods that give bonus damage on low health...what is the threshold before that kicks in? Also, the mods that increase damage after a kill, how long does this buff last, does it stack?

Thanks!

Game is amazing....

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
The anchor made me rage quit this game. The enemy that rushes you and takes half your health while your trying to dodge other shit is a fucking nightmare and he dodges everything but normal bullets.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
The anchor made me rage quit this game. The enemy that rushes you and takes half your health while your trying to dodge other shit is a fucking nightmare and he dodges everything but normal bullets.

those dodge the first throw but then they can't immediately dodge a second throw if you do it quick enough.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017

I raced through that fight and ended it in probably under a minute.
You just wait at the first red clock until it turns and exposes the red orb. Throw that clock and immediately go to the left platform. Throw the red clock as soon as the orb appears. Go to the next platform and do the same thing. As you approach the last platform, if too many enemies have now spawned, use shield until the orb appears and launch the final clock. In the end you beat the boss by going clockwise (har har) around the arena, killing it with clocks.
I didn't fire a single shot.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
They prevented me from enjoying the game due to the checkpoint system and some of the ridiculous enemy types introduced later... (anyone got tips for those long-ranged Mold enemies that seem to fire like a gattling gun?) It frustrated me especially because I expected I'd be strong enough to beat them already but ehhh, guess I have to beat the game first or something.
Do you not have Pierce? You don't need to beat the game at all. One shot from Pierce should do the trick. Just hide behind a pillar and aim for them. You can always bring up the Shield if their fire is coming at you and you're not near cover. I didn't find them ridiculously hard.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
those dodge the first throw but then they can't immediately dodge a second throw if you do it quick enough.
I mean I got through it after the enemy randomly blew up from the exploding guys but I had to step away for like 2 weeks. Just a cluster fuck of a boss that was exasperated by how slow levitate is even with spamming evade + the whole health mechanic.

bodine1231

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Have the devs talked about fixing the checkpointing or balancing the encounters? It's next on my list to play but I'll hold off until its fixed as these things annoy me greatly.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017

Come back later, it's also an optional quest too.

But I share your frustration, I died a couple of times because those assholes flyers that spawn almost on top of you and throw shit at you which gets you killed almost instantly. The worst part is getting back to that fight every time.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
So after beating control I started quantum break. Now. No spoilers please but if this shares the same universe as control, I'm not seeing an OOP that gave jack his powers. Unless I need to shut up and keep playing....

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Do you not have Pierce? You don't need to beat the game at all. One shot from Pierce should do the trick. Just hide behind a pillar and aim for them. You can always bring up the Shield if their fire is coming at you and you're not near cover. I didn't find them ridiculously hard.
Really? Huh... I'm pretty sure I've tried using Pierce before and it didn't do the trick. Maybe I'm remembering wrong though. I'll make sure to give it a try on them!

Dec 6, 2017
US
So how did the level and encounter design in this turn out? I'm really turned off by games that simply lock you into huge open spaces/arenas and fight waves until all is dead kind of deal at this point and some early footage I watched kind of made it look that way. Curious to see if my perception is off if that's the case?

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017

Yep this is what I did and I think we're talking about the same area with the hanging platform in the center.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Pretty sure this game's shit performance killed my Xbox One X. Framerate and map kept playing up now the damn thing won't get past the recovery menu.

Seneset

Oct 27, 2017
Limbus Patrum
So how did the level and encounter design in this turn out? I'm really turned off by games that simply lock you into huge open spaces/arenas and fight waves until all is dead kind of deal at this point and some early footage I watched kind of made it look that way. Curious to see if my perception is off if that's the case?
Some fights are locked arena fights, others you can freely leave the rooms or run through them if you want to ignore enemies.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
aaand my save file just got corrupted thanks to a crash. Bye Control. Love not having manual saves.

Oct 28, 2017
So after beating control I started quantum break. Now. No spoilers please but if this shares the same universe as control, I'm not seeing an OOP that gave jack his powers. Unless I need to shut up and keep playing....

OOP's aren't always the cause of things, though. Quantum Break's entire thing could all be down to an AWE, after all.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Are you on PC? Pretty sure it has backup saves.
I disabled EGS cloud saves because of all the reports of old saves overwriting new ones. The only other backup saves the game makes are at the start of each mission but I had done 3-4 hours of side stuff after the start of a mission that's just gone including some really annoying bosses so I'm done lol.

Dec 14, 2017
I am about 10 hours into this I think. I have one question for those that have used the mods that give bonus damage on low health...what is the threshold before that kicks in? Also, the mods that increase damage after a kill, how long does this buff last, does it stack?

Thanks!

Game is amazing....
I think the low health is when your hp bar is flashing and the red warnings along the sides are constant. It's when you are so low that after a few moments Jesse will actually recover some health automatically. Not sure though, didn't use low hp mods a lot. Damage after kill lasts, it feels, like 5-7 seconds. There's no indication when it procs unfortunately. All mods do stack. Not sure about shatter projectiles or pierce zoom, but percentage based increase mods stack.

Oct 28, 2017
hmm true. is there another mention of someone else getting powers not through a OOP?

I don't think so, but you could easily have an AWE that decides to toy with people. Remember that Jesse in Control gets her link with Polaris (and therefore her powers) through the AWE in Ordinary, so I'll leave it to you to decide whether or not something similar went on in QB as you play it.

foxdvd

Oct 30, 2017
I think the low health is when your hp bar is flashing and the red warnings along the sides are constant. It's when you are so low that after a few moments Jesse will actually recover some health automatically. Not sure though, didn't use low hp mods a lot. Damage after kill lasts, it feels, like 5-7 seconds. There's no indication when it procs unfortunately. All mods do stack. Not sure about shatter projectiles or pierce zoom, but percentage based increase mods stack.
Thanks for the response!

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The checkpoint system together with the terrible map make for an incredibly frustrating experience. I left a mission right at the start my last session and now I turn the game back on and I have no idea how to go to reach that mission and it's not marked on the map. I have to check a walkthrough. First time this happens and I hate it.

Seneset

Oct 27, 2017
Limbus Patrum
The checkpoint system together with the terrible map make for an incredibly frustrating experience. I left a mission right at the start my last session and now I turn the game back on and I have no idea how to go to reach that mission and it's not marked on the map. I have to check a walkthrough. First time this happens and I hate it.
Make sure the mission is active in your quests tab. The highlighted mission will be then marked on your map. If you go to a point of power to fast travel, it'll show the section of the oldest house you need to be in with yellow.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
You think they'll patch an easy mode into this? Is there a way I can cheat on PC? Been stuck on Salvator for 2 weeks and it makes me not even want to boot up the game. Id like to just get past this shitty fucking boss battle and these awful load times.

Dec 14, 2017
Does anyone know if there's a way to turn off the object highlights on PC?
If it's for taking screenshots, I think they'll include such an option when the photo mode comes out. Otherwise, don't think there is a way. Maybe there is a mod or a hex edit out there for it though. I do agree it would be kind of nice to only see the highlights in combat, you do need launch outside of combat, but you can take your time and aim in those cases.
You think they'll patch an easy mode into this? Is there a way I can cheat on PC? Been stuck on Salvator for 2 weeks and it makes me not even want to boot up the game. Id like to just get past this shitty fucking boss battle and these awful load times.
You can grind some countermeasures and farm materials and get some ugprades. Could also do a side mission and find some hidden locations to get as much ability points as you can at that point. Otherwise, tips for Salvador is to use launch a lot, take out adds, keep distance, use shield. What's getting you the most in that fight though?

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
If it's for taking screenshots, I think they'll include such an option when the photo mode comes out. Otherwise, don't think there is a way. Maybe there is a mod or a hex edit out there for it though. I do agree it would be kind of nice to only see the highlights in combat, you do need launch outside of combat, but you can take your time and aim in those cases.

You can grind some countermeasures and farm materials and get some ugprades. Could also do a side mission and find some hidden locations to get as much ability points as you can at that point. Otherwise, tips for Salvador is to use launch a lot, take out adds, keep distance, use shield. What's getting you the most in that fight though?
I've upgraded a lot, launch is fully upgraded, health almost fully upgraded. It's different every time, but eventually I'll be dealing with a flanking enemy or something, and end up taking a hit from salvator. If I take a hit I'm basically fucked because it's like 80 percent of my health. It's just stressful, and there's so much going on. And every time I die, I have to sit through a 2 minute load, and then run all the way back to the boss, enemies spawn on the bridge too, and like 1/5 times I'll get hit by a fucking rocket or something so I might as well jump off the bridge because theres no health on the way to the boss. It's just fucking garbage crap and I don't understand why this is is so hard or why the checkpoint system is so frustrating. The boss fight is fucking crap. I'm about to rage quit and uninstall this bullshit.

Edit: I was once able to kill all the adds, and I got Salvator down to like 1/3 health, but I only had half health at that point, so he got me.

Last edited:

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
bought the game a few days ago and gave it a shot (PS4Pro)

i am at the Panopticon mission at the moment, there is good and bad about this game.

i think it could be more crazy with the shifting environments, it is used for nothing so far, you go to a control point, you see the building shift and it is just a visual effect. missed opportunity.

the overall atmosphere is cool so far-even if i would like if it was more on the horror side of things. i wouldn´t mind a Mr X like creature roaming around the oldest house, it could be more tense.
also, the game is really easy so far, i only died once through falling in a pit in this dimension where you learn a ability because i couldn´t see the ground, other than that smooth sailing. would love a hard mode tbh.

i think the game suffers from repeated stuff like too many same elements (shelter bunkers as an example) and many of the same assets all around the building. sometimes it is a bit dry because of that.

for a game featuring this much shooting sequences, the shooting could feel better, it is a bit loose and not very crunchy. maybe even a Max Payne like bullet cam would have gone a long way to make it feel more visceral. throwing objects feels better than shooting in this game.

and i don´t get why there are side missions announced in giant letters while doing something else...i am on a main mission in a shootout and giant letters tell me to go to another area for a side mission? who thought that this is a good idea?

but all in all i am surprised, the story and background of the game is interesting and you really want to know what is happening there.
so far it is one of the better games this year because it feels like its doing its own thing and it is fresh. for people who like supernatural thriller stuff this is definitely recommended. i am intrigued how the story plays out and the lore snippets are really cool in this game.
so yeah, this game is one of the surprises this year for me.

edit: that this game has no HDR is really odd, would look really good with those color choices.

Last edited:

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
bought the game a few days ago and gave it a shot (PS4Pro)

i am at the Panopticon mission at the moment, there is good and bad about this game.

i think it could be more crazy with the shifting environments, it is used for nothing so far, you go to a control point, you see the building shift and it is just a visual effect. missed opportunity.

the overall atmosphere is cool so far-even if i would like if it was more on the horror side of things. i wouldn´t mind a Mr X like creature roaming around the oldest house, it could be more tense.
also, the game is really easy so far, i only died once through falling in a pit in this dimension where you learn a ability because i couldn´t see the ground, other than that smooth sailing. would love a hard mode tbh.

i think the game suffers from repeated stuff like too many same elements (shelter bunkers as an example) and many of the same assets all around the building. sometimes it is a bit dry because of that.

for a game featuring this much shooting sequences, the shooting could feel better, it is a bit loose and not very crunchy. maybe even a Max Payne like bullet cam would have gone a long way to make it feel more visceral. throwing objects feels better than shooting in this game.

and i don´t get why there are side missions announced in giant letters while doing something else...i am on a main mission in a shootout and giant letters tell me to go to another area for a side mission? who thought that this is good idea?

but all in all i am surprised, the story and background of the game is interesting and you really want to know what is happening there.
so far it is one of the better games this year because it feels like its doing its own thing and it is fresh. for people who like supernatural thriller stuff this is definitely recommended. i am intrigued how the story plays out and the lore snippets are really cool in this game.
so yeah, this game is one of the surprises this year for me.
Just wait you're about to get to the same shit ass fucking boss fight I'm stuck on.

Oct 27, 2017
I think the criticisms about the map are valid, but it's also clearly intentionally designed to be that way. They even talk about shading to show differences in elevation and, if I'm not mistaken, reference the fact some things may be higher/lower than they appear. Which to me just means that's the way they wanted it and it's purposefully obfuscatory. Take it or leave it I guess... the worst area is around security where it's not super clear how to get into some areas that are off the main hall.

The in-world signposting is great though!

Seneset

Oct 27, 2017
Limbus Patrum
For some reason that wasn't working for this mission (old growth) :/
Ah, I'd guess that's probably because that quest area is "under' the research area. If you're doing that later, there is a Control point in that area. It'll help with the backtracking if you die. It's inside the main combat chamber and to the left just some stairs..

Take it or leave it I guess... the worst area is around security where it's not super clear how to get into some areas that are off the main hall.

Agreed, finding one area in that section of the map is literally the only time I really got frustrated. Turns out it's linked to a side quest I had missed.

Dec 14, 2017
I've upgraded a lot, launch is fully upgraded, health almost fully upgraded. It's different every time, but eventually I'll be dealing with a flanking enemy or something, and end up taking a hit from salvator. If I take a hit I'm basically fucked because it's like 80 percent of my health. It's just stressful, and there's so much going on. And every time I die, I have to sit through a 2 minute load, and then run all the way back to the boss, enemies spawn on the bridge too, and like 1/5 times I'll get hit by a fucking rocket or something so I might as well jump off the bridge because theres no health on the way to the boss. It's just fucking garbage crap and I don't understand why this is is so hard or why the checkpoint system is so frustrating. The boss fight is fucking crap. I'm about to rage quit and uninstall this bullshit.

Edit: I was once able to kill all the adds, and I got Salvator down to like 1/3 health, but I only had half health at that point, so he got me.
That sounds very frustrating, sorry about the (console?) load times and the runback to the boss. I think you have it though, take a break and come back to it later. It's really getting under your skin at this point, come back with a fresh mindset and a different strategy. Also, even the most basic add when killed drops 3 or 4 hp elements, with a mod that boosts element even by 20% it can give you enough hp to take another big hit. Could be worth grinding the mod generation to get a good one.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
That sounds very frustrating, sorry about the (console?) load times and the runback to the boss. I think you have it though, take a break and come back to it later. It's really getting under your skin at this point, come back with a fresh mindset and a different strategy. Also, even the most basic add when killed drops 3 or 4 hp elements, with a mod that boosts element even by 20% it can give you enough hp to take another big hit. Could be worth grinding the mod generation to get a good one.
Yeah I've been stuck here for two weeks. And surprisingly I'm playing on PC and the loads are still awful! I might just be done with this game tbh. If yr gonna make me fight a boss 15+ times, I need some sort of checkpoint. There's no reason for this boss to be such a pain in the ass, yet here I am. Found the game to be pretty easy up until now.

Oct 25, 2017

I just took him out after a few tries.

The Pierce gun with aim damage and shield damage make quick work of him. When he is about to fling his stuff, just stand behind the boulders. The other big issue is the Hiss that can appear and disappear. My tip for that is to hit it with Pierce right after it attacks and then wail it with Launch. I then used mind control on it to help against the other enemies. After taking out 1 or 2 of the gunmen, I just put all my focus on Salvador. My health was getting lower and lower but I kept the shots on Salvador and kept moving then he was downed. Of course, I kept an eye on when my health was getting too low and dashed around the area to pick up health orbs.

Dec 14, 2017
Yeah I've been stuck here for two weeks. And surprisingly I'm playing on PC and the loads are still awful! I might just be done with this game tbh. If yr gonna make me fight a boss 15+ times, I need some sort of checkpoint. There's no reason for this boss to be such a pain in the ass, yet here I am. Found the game to be pretty easy up until now.
Are you on an ssd? havne't heard anything about slow pc load times. I'm on an ssd and haven't seen a load more than 15 seconds.

I beat Salvador my first try, so I'm not familiar with the checkpoint near him, but since it's a bad run each try, I really think you should just take a break. Control gets better and better, so I hope you see it to the end. Also, if your launch is maxed, have you changed your mods to work around almost solely using it? I only had one or two launch upgrades at that point and it almost one shotted even the shielded adds. And one or two launchs on Salvador dropped his shield and stunned him, giving time to clean up other enemies or change position. But again, hope you don't rage quit permanently, take a break.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Are you on an ssd? havne't heard anything about slow pc load times. I'm on an ssd and haven't seen a load more than 15 seconds.

I beat Salvador my first try, so I'm not familiar with the checkpoint near him, but since it's a bad run each try, I really think you should just take a break. Control gets better and better, so I hope you see it to the end. Also, if your launch is maxed, have you changed your mods to work around almost solely using it? I only had one or two launch upgrades at that point and it almost one shotted even the shielded adds. And one or two launchs on Salvador dropped his shield and stunned him, giving time to clean up other enemies or change position. But again, hope you don't rage quit permanently, take a break.
Nah it's on my HDD, but the load is much longer than any other games on the same hard drive. It's like, laughably long.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I just tried to start this on PC, and it doesn't recognize my wired PS4 controller at all. I see in the menus that it supports XB and PS controllers, but it's not auto-detecting nor do I see an option to enable. I've tried with DS4Windows running and not. I've had no problems with using this controller on Steam and Uplay games. Help?

Also are the graphics settings default or chosen by the game as the best fit? There's no performance test, which is inconvenient.

EDIT: So it seems like I have to add the game to Steam as a non-Steam game, and run it there (without DS4Windows) to use my controller... on this or any other Epic game. WTF. Will the cloud saves on Epic still work doing that? Is there a way to view my Epic cloud saves?

Last edited:

jamtop

Jun 18, 2018
In the Salvador fight, before the fight begins and the enemies are still floating you will see the enemies turn from white to red. At this moment you can already launch objects at them and they will take damage and with this method you can actually kill a few of them easily before the real fight even starts!