• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
Hey so I bought the game recently and I love it but I have question regarding quests

should I stop doing the main quest for side quests or will get to do those naturally when I make progress?Not sure if getting a side quest means I can reach the area it takes place in or not

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Hey so I bought the game recently and I love it but I have question regarding quests

should I stop doing the main quest for side quests or will get to do those naturally when I make progress?Not sure if getting a side quest means I can reach the area it takes place in or not
It makes more sense storywise to do then when you have the possibility instead of afterwards but you cant do everything right when you find the Mission

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Weird game with fun combat and interesting lore. Characters were kind of boring though other than Darling. Dylan had me cringing 😬

Also man that entire end section from the Hedron onward was super anticlimactic. Just a grind through the same old enemies you've been fighting already. It's like they blew their load early with the maze section and the game ended with a whimper.

I thought maybe people were exaggerating but this thing runs like shit in a lot of the later areas and battles. Can't imagine how bad base consoles must be if ps4 pro is struggling this hard.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
The checkpoints in this are really bad.

Putting you back to the last control point rather than the start of a boss battle when it kills you is a really bad design decision.

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
Just finished the game but I only had time to do 1 side mission which was really amazing. So thinking I'd like to wrap up loose ends like that.

Didn't understand much of anything the story was rather confusing. Not kingdom hearts confusing but rather hard to follow.

Like, I guess Polaris has always been dead? Who raised Jesse??? Did Polaris ever speak back to her in the mental space or has she always been dead since the Ordinary event? It made no sense to have like a 1,000 HISS dudes trying to break open that empty vault too me. Why would they build a prison for Polaris that she was never in?

Felt like multiple writers got involved and the story got warped and confusing. Maybe they ran out of time.

Game ran like a dream with RTX+DLSS (i9-9900k + 2080ti). Was stunning. I didn't understand hardly anything and I'll probably forget all of these characters and story. But I wont forget the nice gameplay and stunning visuals

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
The checkpoints in this are really bad.

Putting you back to the last control point rather than the start of a boss battle when it kills you is a really bad design decision.

Honestly the shit-tier checkpoints are the main reason this game will not be my GOTY. Liked almost everything about it, but stuff like
having to redo the jumping challange to get to the flamigo to refight the boss
got old fast. Worst example is at the end when you have to
reallign the dishes. I died 2 times when trying to get the one on the third raised platform, and since it checkpoints you before the fights on the other 2 raised platforms it takes like 10 minutes of non stop fighting to get back at that point. I just said fuck it and used cheatengine to cheat my way passed that encounter, redoing those fights is just 0 fun.
It is really, REALLY bad.

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
Honestly the shit-tier checkpoints are the main reason this game will not be my GOTY. Liked almost everything about it, but stuff like
having to redo the jumping challange to get to the flamigo to refight the boss
got old fast. Worst example is at the end when you have to
reallign the dishes. I died 2 times when trying to get the one on the third raised platform, and since it checkpoints you before the fights on the other 2 raised platforms it takes like 10 minutes of non stop fighting to get back at that point. I just said fuck it and used cheatengine to cheat my way passed that encounter, redoing those fights is just 0 fun.
It is really, REALLY bad.
Oh yeah I used CheatEngine for that part. I hate how games feel like they gotta ramp up the difficulty at the very end. So I used CheatEngine for that part and
That Ashley maze at the very end where all those suicide bombers charge you at the end

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
Finished the game earlier.

It's a 8/10 for me, biggest cons are the stupid checkpoint system in combination with the atrocious loadingtimes when you die and lack of interesting enemies to fight, you basically fight the same dudes over and over and the game has no valuable encounter design going on. I've seen snipers and the dude with the gatling once, which is wasted potential.
Although the combat is good, it becomes kind of repetitive, since the game doesn't introduce new things after the fly mechanic... it peaked there for me.

I enjoyed the structure, atmosphere, lore and gameplay. Solid game but not a contender for GotY for me..

Last edited:

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
The levitate controls are pretty bad too.

Everything, Jump, ascend, descend, slow fall, is all on a single button. It's incredibly easy to accidentally cancel levitate without meaning to and plummet to your death. The deactivate control should have been bound to clicking the left stick, which only controls sprint which you can't use during levitate anyway.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
The levitate controls are pretty bad too.

Everything, Jump, ascend, descend, slow fall, is all on a single button. It's incredibly easy to accidentally cancel levitate without meaning to and plummet to your death. The deactivate control should have been bound to clicking the left stick, which only controls sprint which you can't use during levitate anyway.
If you start falling just tap the same button to initiate the slow descent. Press it again to cancel, again to reinitiate, etc. You can turn it on and off as many times as you want while falling.

The controls in this game are some of the best I've experienced in gaming, right up there with Vanquish and the Sucker Punch games.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
Never had trouble with the levitate controls, i actually find them pretty good and intuitive.
Falling of the ledge and die and staring at the loadingscreen and run back to whatever you were doing, now that is infuriating.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Finished the game the other day, really solid and very enjoyable for me.
But it stops at an 8 because:

-i couldn't digest the ending: it's short, abrupt and it doesn't add anything to the general lore, just that the
Hiss
is still around which feels more like an excuse to let your roam around in the post-game. And
Dylan falling into coma
is a weak bait for a sequel/DLC;

-for a game that has interesting boss fights against paranormal entities, to have none in the main story, and have the two final missions being exactly the same type of enemy waves, it is incredibly disappointing.

Still, hoping Remedy's next game has a bigger budget and no shackles from this gen.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
If you start falling just tap the same button to initiate the slow descent. Press it again to cancel, again to reinitiate, etc. You can turn it on and off as many times as you want while falling.

The controls in this game are some of the best I've experienced in gaming, right up there with Vanquish and the Sucker Punch games.
The issue is you can start falling very quickly if you accidentally deactivate, and then you're screwed because you can't get back above a ledge, so fall to your death.

I just think the outright deactivate should be on a different button.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
got to the
Essej fight
I don't think I got them down to even 2/3 before I was murdered. And I'm post game. There's nothing to gain more health with in the area. This is one of my issues with the game. The health system sucks. It should have been regenerative.

Oct 25, 2017
got to the
Essej fight
I don't think I got them down to even 2/3 before I was murdered. And I'm post game. There's nothing to gain more health with in the area. This is one of my issues with the game. The health system sucks. It should have been regenerative.
I kind of cheesed this fight by levitating behind a pillar, popping out just to shoot/throw shit.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
got to the
Essej fight

ehS has three stages, when you deal enough damage ehs will drop a lot of health itens that can fully or almost fully restore your health.

jblanco

Oct 27, 2017
Any word on ps4 performance patch? I want to buy but some posts here are making me doubt if I should go for it or wait.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
I've noticed the One X still struggles, but usually only when I either resume the game from being suspended, or just when I unpause it, the game just stutters for a good 5-6 seconds, then performance picks back up and is perfectly smooth even when things get hectic.

The map is bugged though, sometimes it doesn't actually render the layout, only the area names appear. The only way to fix it seems to be go transition to another area via either Control point or elevator.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
I've noticed the One X still struggles, but usually only when I either resume the game from being suspended, or just when I unpause it, the game just stutters for a good 5-6 seconds, then performance picks back up and is perfectly smooth even when things get hectic.

The map is bugged though, sometimes it doesn't actually render the layout, only the area names appear. The only way to fix it seems to be go transition to another area via either Control point or elevator.

Same here on my X.

Xeno

Oct 25, 2017
If you've done the sidequests, is there anything to do after the game is beaten? Any hidden objectives or cool stuff that happens, or are you basically done until more content comes out.

Fantastic game btw. Felt it didn't quite stick the landing but it's between this and RE2 for the best games of the year for me.

Mr Delabee

Oct 25, 2017
UK
If you've done the sidequests, is there anything to do after the game is beaten? Any hidden objectives or cool stuff that happens, or are you basically done until more content comes out.

Fantastic game btw. Felt it didn't quite stick the landing but it's between this and RE2 for the best games of the year for me.

Some of the main areas if you revisit Jessie has some new dialogue about things that have happened, thought that was quite cool as I was re-exploring after the end. Other than that I think that's it until new mode is added and the DLC's.

Xeno

Oct 25, 2017
Some of the main areas if you revisit Jessie has some new dialogue about things that have happened, thought that was quite cool as I was re-exploring after the end. Other than that I think that's it until new mode is added and the DLC's.
Yeah I went and talked to some of the NPCs and messed around a little. Guess it's time to move on until more content hits. I really love the setting so I'm looking forward to what's next.

I'm sad I somehow missed the Kojima stuff. Oh well. I guess I could do a new game and just get that far so I can experience it.

vidaisonline

Community Manager at Remedy Entertainment
Verified
Feb 2, 2018
I think the criticisms about the map are valid, but it's also clearly intentionally designed to be that way. They even talk about shading to show differences in elevation and, if I'm not mistaken, reference the fact some things may be higher/lower than they appear. Which to me just means that's the way they wanted it and it's purposefully obfuscatory. Take it or leave it I guess... the worst area is around security where it's not super clear how to get into some areas that are off the main hall.

The in-world signposting is great though!
yeah, the map is like that by design, and the in-world signposting is like that by design, too. you're meant to rely on the in-world signposting and your own sense of direction rather than the map. personally I think I opened the map twice in the whole game.

This whole experience was such a joyful ride of fucking weirdness.

Except the Threshold Kids, though. Fuck em Threshold Kids. Opening song is stuck in my head and they're the scariest thing in the game.
noooooooooooooooooo I love the threshold kids ahaha. I can see how they're creepy as hell - I remember watching the early edits of some of the videos with some people from the team and the uneasy laughter in the room :D topher is my favourite I think

Did this game get a photo mode for consoles yet?
next week ;)

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
I felt that they were much easier to fight there since they dont come from above like when you stay on the ground

That's true, but you can only float for so long before you fall. And once you hit the ground you're very vulnerable.

Either way I'm glad it's over. I had to do one more side mission and two more bureau alerts. Then i have to unlock every other power which might take awhile....

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finished the game. What a wild ride.
The first couple of hours are incredibly gripping, but the middle 2/4 of the game is average and boring. Then the last 4h the game picks you up, throws you on a rollercoaster and never lets go, only to end on a whimper.
A solid 8/10. It's no GOTY material for me but definitely one of the most original and fun SP experiences this gen.

Some pros:
- Gameplay/combat really is amazing. It takes some time to get going, but after you gain all abilities and build on them and when you finally realize this is supposed to be a fast-paced no-hold-back combat style, the game improves tremendously and is really fun.
- Jesse's movement is so well done. Dodging and elevating feels amazing and controls very very well. I wish they were more inventive with platforming.
- Story is vague and pulls you in without compromising on their vision.
- Game is pretty and the aesthetic is unique and captivating.
- Ashtray maze is really the best sequence this gen (on par with Titanfall 2)

Some cons (more cons but only because I feel this game has a lot of them that standout and keep it from being a truly great game):
- map and checkpoint system are probably the worst and most frustrating I've encountered this gen.
- The enemies are terrible and definitely the worst part of the combat package. In the end they all look the same, uninspiring and boring as all hell. I have no idea how in a game so original they went ahead with this.
- Side-missions are badly incorporated in the story. On the one hand, you have side-missions constantly popping up that take place in a room completely different from where you are and take you out of the current mindset. Then you have actually good side-missions and bosses but that I feel should have been incorporated in the main story but Remedy just didn't care or couldn't figure out how to do it. It all feels very disconnected and makes for some weird pacing. The game only got good to me when I completely ignored the side-missions
- Weapon and personal mods doesn't work as a system and feels like something the developer put in to increase the perceived value of the game's content. It's not fun to explore when everything you get is a copy of a copy of something you already have. And you're at the last segment of the game and still getting mods that are way worse than what you have equipped.
- Reading lore is all over the place. Some of it is very good, but it gets lost in an endless stream of boring and inconsequential information.
- Jesse is not a very good protagonist. I know the vague monologue and empty look is part of the all package, but it's really hard to feel invested in the brother's story.
- For how good the oldest house looks and feels when it's moving and messing with your head, most of the time it feels empty and lifeless. Maybe this is the point, but I feel that for the most part, when you're out there exploring the map, the atmosphere is not well done.

Overall the game is original, managed to keep me interesting throughout and the combat is incredible. It's still not top-tier gaming, but it's the closest Remedy have got in a while and can't wait to play the DLC.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Mold-1 boss fight is a piece of cake if at the very start you just launch 4 explosive balls at either left or right tentacle, then it's just a case of levitating and shotgunning the central tentacle. Once you get the timing down of when to dodge the tentacle in those moments you can't hide behind a boulder, the boss is finished. Just spam launch the explosive balls as they do the most damage.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
vidaisonline Thanks for posting in here. The team did an amazing job, and that most recent patch made the game much better on the PS4 Pro.

yeah, the map is like that by design, and the in-world signposting is like that by design, too. you're meant to rely on the in-world signposting and your own sense of direction rather than the map. personally I think I opened the map twice in the whole game.
The sign posts are great, and I get (and really like) the design decision to try and reduce reliance on the map. But...

It's a problem in maintenance, because the verticality makes the (flat) map actually more of a hindrance than a help, especially when you return there for the second time if you're using control points rather than the sector elevator. There were a heap of posts in here about that specific section and people being lost as to what to do next.

Also the lift in maintenance that isn't shown on the map, despite every other lift in the game being marked clearly on the map... so annoying!

The map is effectively how you fast travel around the Oldest House, so it's certainly an important element in the game.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
So I finished all missions. Yet I still need 11 more points to fully unlock everything. I've found at least 4 secret areas but I don't know what else I can do. I don't imagine there are 11 more secret areas, but maybe?