• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Does the game have sanity effects like Eternal Darkness? Or just crazy ass glitches?

I'm still early in the game, but I love the throw ability so I upgraded that to it's most powerful right away. I was in this mental fight with loads of baddies throwing shit around and explosions going off, there were NPCs helping me in the fight too..

..but during the fight the game kept pausing and the pause screen was Jesse standing in a room from a bit earlier in the game, not the same one where the fight was going down. I'd un-pause it and continue the fight only for it to happen two more times during the fight with the same pause screen. It was freaky as hell.

Crazy ass glitch or cool ass sanity effect?

Playing on PS4 Pro.
So this stopped happening...until the final fight where it kept pausing when mega destruction and explosions were happening. Got me killed twice.
The game was absolutely amazing, but the slowdown, general performance and the glitches really left a sour note behind on the experience.
I wish they had kept in the oven until next year where it would have ran much better and probably sold better as a next gen launch game.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
how the fuck do you kill distorted? i get like one shot off on them before they disappear then pop up and one shot me

Dec 14, 2017
how the fuck do you kill distorted? i get like one shot off on them before they disappear then pop up and one shot me
You can bait their appearance and attack with a dash, or just general movement. They have an audio cue and a visible shimmer. If you hit them hard enough you should stagger them before they get off their attack as well. Shatter or Grip with good mods is the way to go for them.

Jay Shadow

Oct 28, 2017
I usually watched their trail when invisible and when they got near me used the shield to block their attack. Once you absorb the initial impact it's done even if it looks like it's still attacking. You should have enough time to throw something at it or hit it with whatever weapon you like. You can also sometimes hit them by blind throwing it at their visual cue.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
I just realized I haven't been bothering with the board countermeasures. I'm 70%ish through the main questline. Am I going to be able to finish these off playing the remaining mainline and side quests or am I probably going to have to do some post game grinding?(to get the complete 25 trophy).

Jamrock User

Jan 24, 2018
Loving this game.

Currently doing the pit side quest with the main mission being to meet Dylan. According to the epic store I'm 9hrs in and the only complaint I have is not having access to flight as yet.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can bait their appearance and attack with a dash, or just general movement. They have an audio cue and a visible shimmer. If you hit them hard enough you should stagger them before they get off their attack as well. Shatter or Grip with good mods is the way to go for them.
I usually watched their trail when invisible and when they got near me used the shield to block their attack. Once you absorb the initial impact it's done even if it looks like it's still attacking. You should have enough time to throw something at it or hit it with whatever weapon you like. You can also sometimes hit them by blind throwing it at their visual cue.
thanks guys, i didn't even realize there was a visual cue at first lol. made that a lot easier, since before i had just been waiting for it to pop up again and getting instagibbed

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I saw this on r/controlgame and it's one of the best pictures I've seen from the game so far, probably the best:

eVAtnCwcmnuR8SWX8MLTyOAM8shrUN4NKblzsTiGdiM.jpg

Source.

edit: Are spoiler tags still needed?

Jamrock User

Jan 24, 2018
The fridge was kicking my ass until I realized what I was doing wrong when dodging his strike attacks.

Fucking wasted at minimum 30 minutes on the thing.

Also LOVING THIS GAME MAN!!! What an incredible experience.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I need the DLCs for this to come out because I miss playing it.

So far, since getting the platinum trophy, I've lent it to two of my coworkers and both of them loved it.

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
finally finished this up. Ran like a dream on my PC. Incredible game outside the main story. 9/10

The final area was was of the most visually striking things I've ever seen in a game, especially with the HUD off.

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
Finished last night as well.
Last stretch is utterly incredible, tho it definitely has a Remedy ending, lol

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Just finished it. It really picks up once you got more powers and weapons. I thought the story was very well done, for the most part.
Really liked it, great game.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Popping back in and seeing people continue to love the game is awesome.

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the game tonight. I really enjoyed it. The end was kind of disappointing but this might be one game I get the DLC

btags

Oct 26, 2017
Gaithersburg MD
I beat the main story last night. Was it me or did it just seem kind of rushed towards the end? Everything seemed to be going along at a nice slow and steady clip and then suddenly it felt like you were locked in to the final set of missions and there was a lot of exposition dump.

I still loved the beginning and middle of the game. I can't wait to go back and do side missions and eventually the DLC, but I just really think the ending got kind of sloppy.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
Gamestop currently has the game for $27 online. Target price matched it and gave it to me without the shipping and handling and it totaled $29. It's supposed to be $25 on Black Friday but you can spend $2 more and get it now without dealing with crowds.

Really liking the game so far. I can't possibly be more than an hour into though. People weren't lying about some of the performance issues, I threw an explosive in the mail room and the entire game seized up for a few seconds when all the particles and physics took over.

Last edited:

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a point of no return in the game? Or can I just do side missions after the story is done? No spoilers if possible.

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
I ended up getting the platinum. After I beat the game I noticed I was 70%+ of the way there. I also ended up grabbing the DLC while it was on sale. Despite its flaws it is definitely one of my favourite games this year

sebco

Oct 27, 2017
Just had the credits roll. I really really enjoyed it. The lore in Control is very Dharma Initiative-esque, which I was extremely into. Like others have said the combat opens up once you get a couple abilities. I'll probably work on getting the rest of the achievements until the DLC comes out.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
I ended up getting the platinum. After I beat the game I noticed I was 70%+ of the way there. I also ended up grabbing the DLC while it was on sale. Despite its flaws it is definitely one of my favourite games this year

Yeah, I'm already about 45% done and I haven't even gotten my last power. From the looks of it there's about 4 named enemies and story stuff to do. Seems reasonable for platinum unless those boss fights are absolutely balls out hard or something.

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm already about 45% done and I haven't even gotten my last power. From the looks of it there's about 4 named enemies and story stuff to do. Seems reasonable for platinum unless those boss fights are absolutely balls out hard or something.
Nah, if you wait until the end /post-game to do any of the optional bosses they're not particularly difficult

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
Nah, if you wait until the end /post-game to do any of the optional bosses they're not particularly difficult
A couple of the optional bosses hit harder or have better support than the ones in the main story, but it's all doable. Some of the optional content is the best in the game, too!

That's great to hear. I honestly have no real idea how far into the game I am at this point, it doesn't feel like I'm hurdling towards the ending yet and I still have a lot of unexplored areas of the map left. I really hope I have quite a bit left because I don't really want it to end.

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
This is not true lol, at least IMHO.

Mold-1 sure, I got that first go, but Tommasi is no joke even in the end game. Absolutely worth doing though.
Tomassi I saved until I maxed out my abilities and by that point he wasn't the problem so much as the Hiss Distorted was haha. I definitely died a few times because of them

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
As much as I love this game, the part where they have that song from a band playing was absolute dog shit.
why would you ruin the atmosphere like that especially when the song is some 2nd grade mastodon rip off.
So fucking jarring.

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
As much as I love this game, the part where they have that song from a band playing was absolute dog shit.
why would you ruin the atmosphere like that especially when the song is some 2nd grade mastodon rip off.
So fucking jarring.
I didn't really love it either. It was definitely a fun section though.

here's a question, why is Darling so buff? Goddamn

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
Just met Dylan for the first time in Central Executive
How much would you say I have ahead of me? I feel like there are still big sections of the map I haven't even come close to. There's also some rooms I've found with something growing in it that harms me when I get near, do I eventually get a way to traverse through this stuff or is flying as good as it gets?

edit: I also took care of Anchor and Former. Neither one was too awful, I had the pattern for Former down without issue but I would inevitably dash into a hole in the ground. It took a few tries to get the entire thing down but not bad at all.

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
Just met Dylan for the first time in Central Executive
How much would you say I have ahead of me? I feel like there are still big sections of the map I haven't even come close to. There's also some rooms I've found with something growing in it that harms me when I get near, do I eventually get a way to traverse through this stuff or is flying as good as it gets?

edit: I also took care of Anchor and Former. Neither one was too awful, I had the pattern for Former down without issue but I would inevitably dash into a hole in the ground. It took a few tries to get the entire thing down but not bad at all.
If you stick to the main quests you'll be done in another few hours

You can get the ability to enter those areas

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
Just saw that Control received a ton of award noms. Of course this makes me want to play it even more than before, but I resisted when it was released due to the really poor performance during action scenes on the base PS4. Have the patches helped? Any base PS4 players tried it recently?

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
Just saw that Control received a ton of award noms. Of course this makes me want to play it even more than before, but I resisted when it was released due to the really poor performance during action scenes on the base PS4. Have the patches helped? Any base PS4 players tried it recently?
I played through it on base PS4. The performance gets real BAD in places, specifically intense firefights with lots of explosions and particle effects and physics, but honestly it wasn't a deal breaker. You come to anticipate the performance hits, and the combat doesn't require a ton of precision, especially once you get some key abilities, so it's manageable despite the intense slow down in places. I think the key is knowing what you're getting in to, and the game does a great job of getting you invested in its world and mysteries so you end up just putting up with the shitty performance to experience the game

Net_Wrecker

Oct 25, 2017
So fucking jarring.

Emily Haines is incredible tho haha

but seriously even if you enjoy the song, it totally broke the immersion/atmosphere for me.
especially when Jesse said "That was awesome" just as I said "phew glad the musics over".

Jarring is kind of the point. And i don't think it ruined the atmosphere at all, that song mixed with the environmental shifting tech came together to feel like a psychedelic looking music video. Everyone's taste is different but idk, stuff like that is quintessential Remedy.

And Jesse's line is a winking reference to a similar moment from Alan Wake.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
I played through it on base PS4. The performance gets real BAD in places, specifically intense firefights with lots of explosions and particle effects and physics, but honestly it wasn't a deal breaker. You come to anticipate the performance hits, and the combat doesn't require a ton of precision, especially once you get some key abilities, so it's manageable despite the intense slow down in places. I think the key is knowing what you're getting in to, and the game does a great job of getting you invested in its world and mysteries so you end up just putting up with the shitty performance to experience the game

Thanks for your impressions. It may just be my holiday play through.

Pizza Dog

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not reading any discussion here but popping in to say I picked up Control the other week and I absolutely love it. The setting, the UI, the big blocky location names that cover the screen, the world-building. Fantastic stuff. I really enjoyed Alan Wake, I've read House of Leaves and I've enjoyed reading the odd SCP article in my day too, so I was looking forward to this a lot, and so far it's delivering. I can see this game getting adapted to a slightly darker Warehouse 13 style show, or a film, the aesthetics are right up my alley.

I'm playing in the tiny bits of free time I get having just had a baby, so I'm not as far in as I'd like (just fixing the pumps) but so far I'm really sold. Shame this doesn't seem to have done as well as Remedy might have hoped, but at least they had that EGS deal to give them a bit of a financial boost.

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I took a long break from the game cause of life stuff. Came back yesterday and did the Ashtray Maze.

FUCK YEAH.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
Thanks for your impressions. It may just be my holiday play through.

I'm currently playing it on a base PS4 and I've basically had the same experience. There's a couple of areas with a lot of objects and sometimes the physics take the wheel and tank the framerate but it's never for very long and I've never died from it. The weirdest slowdown is when you pause or bring up the map the game really chunks up for whatever reason and takes a second after unpausing to run at full speed again.