• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Stuck on the boss fight in the TV-object-of-power in the Panopticon. I love the atmosphere in this game but I think I'm done with it—I just can't deal with these difficulty spikes. :(

Edit: Oh... I just realized this is that particularly infamous boss. Great...

The fight that is most infamous is an optional fight later in the game. But the first encounter usually does take a few tries to get.

edit: oh wait the tv is Salvador, not Tommasi

OP
OP
nihilence

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
Well , my "like new" copy was delivered.

3foCYlo.jpg

DeFYJ9d.jpg

uNB2rFV.jpg

9L73p6W.jpg

CyrilFiggis

Nov 3, 2017
Pennsylvania
Want to jump in and buy the game, but what is the consensus if one can only play on base ps4 or xbox one?
I just finished it on the base PS4 and didn't find anything painful enough to detract from the overall experience, which I though was excellent. There is slowdown with multiple enemies & particle effects on screen (and also for a couple seconds after un-pausing, which was weird) and some texture pop-in mainly with signage and paintings, but neither hindered my enjoyment of the game.

It's on sale for $30 online at Wal-Mart (and most stores will price match their online prices). I picked it up Black Friday for a tad less than that and it felt like a steal. Honestly, IMO it would be worth it at $60.

MizneyWorld

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Picked up Control on the $25 sale. Amazing so far. Love Remedy's output.

Didn't realize that Dr Darling was Alan Wake. Wow.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
No new achievements for this, I guess?

OK wait, expeditions is for everyone and the first expansion is in March but for who and for how long?

Last edited:

Aftervirtue

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
I just finished it on the base PS4 and didn't find anything painful enough to detract from the overall experience, which I though was excellent. There is slowdown with multiple enemies & particle effects on screen (and also for a couple seconds after un-pausing, which was weird) and some texture pop-in mainly with signage and paintings, but neither hindered my enjoyment of the game.

It's on sale for $30 online at Wal-Mart (and most stores will price match their online prices). I picked it up Black Friday for a tad less than that and it felt like a steal. Honestly, IMO it would be worth it at $60.
Thank you! Just grabbed a ps4 copy for $25.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
So I don't know if this is just mucked up on Xbox or what but after the patch you can toggle through all 5 weapon types instead of just 2. You can try setting your 2 that are normally equipped, but it won't let you choose grip and one other. I'm not sure what if anything they intended to change. You can still set mods for each gun.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
So I don't know if this is just mucked up on Xbox or what but after the patch you can toggle through all 5 weapon types instead of just 2. You can try setting your 2 that are normally equipped, but it won't let you choose grip and one other. I'm not sure what if anything they intended to change. You can still set mods for each gun.

It also happened to delete all my equipped weapon mods. Fun.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone explain to me what Expeditions is? I can't watch the video.

its kind of like a repeatable arena mode, except you have 4 different tasks to do in a set time period. You can do 1 of 3 different difficulties, with better rewards for the higher difficulty. Highest difficulty will give you some kind of clothing/armor.

You need jukebox tokens to start, which you can get by crafting with standard game currency or by doing regular board bounties.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
its kind of like a repeatable arena mode, except you have 4 different tasks to do in a set time period. You can do 1 of 3 different difficulties, with better rewards for the higher difficulty. Highest difficulty will give you some kind of clothing/armor.

You need jukebox tokens to start, which you can get by crafting with standard game currency or by doing regular board bounties.
Thanks Teggy!

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017

no problem. Oh, also if you die after completing a task (they take place in four separate mini islands) you maintain that progress, but if you die during a task you have to start that task again from the beginning - generally you are collecting 3 things, beating 3 waves of enemies, etc. and your progress there is reset.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
finished this and thought it was incredible, one of the best games of the generation for sure. my first remedy game since max payne 2, which I adored and I am so glad they are back at making gameplay focused games. control feels incredibly good and is so much fun. I also loved the art design and the pacing and myster of the story. all in all an incredibly well crafted game. If I had to criticize anything it would be the poor map, but apart from that it's damn near perfect. very excited for the dlc.

Landawng

The Fallen
Nov 9, 2017
Denver/Aurora, CO
Just got this game! Seems really interesting so far from a world building/narrative stand point. Super interested to see what the fuck exactly is going on. Just made it to chapter two and I'm in this cafeteria area and whatever voice I'm hearing is some of the creepiest sounding shit ever wtf is going on here lol

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
Expeditions are time limited. Hate timed shit :(

And you need to buy the tokens for currency and you lose currency everytime you die. So its really grindy

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Just beat the game tonight and I immediately went on PSN and bought the season pass. Ending was kinda abrupt but it left me wanting more so I'm really glad they're doing DLC. Amazing game overall. The atmosphere was just on another level.

Ashtray maze was an obvious highlight, but I really loved the whole part with Ahti's visions.
Hope we get to find out more about him in the DLC's.

Antoo

May 1, 2019
Good god does the final level suck. The lighting makes it hard to see along with all the particle effects. No final boss but instead we are treated to waves of enemies AGAIN. It wasn't even that interesting compared to the last mission with the siphons.

Fuck that final island with the invisible enemy. Finished it on my second try but it was still bullshit how a cheap death sends you back to the beginning of the entire section.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does this game benefit a lot from an SSD? I installed Far Cry 5 on my HDD and I had many stutters, apparently due to my HDD's slow streaming.

Ryo

Oct 28, 2017
You guys convinced me to get this, I wasn't expecting much based on footage, I'm just about to head through the Ashtray Maze which I've only heard good things about.

The combat reminds me of GoW but instead of the axe you use whatever happens to be in the room. When you get swarmed by enemies you can utilize Jesse's agility and it starts to feel like a Matrix game, I appreciate the old-school approach to taking cover.
Things can get a little out of hand to the point where you will use cheesy tactics but she feels great and the fact that the controls can be fully remapped in the settings is the icing on the cake.

I haven't found the enemy variety interesting, very samey and sometimes I can barely see what is happening due to the lighting and effects.

The puzzles are ok, the map can be misleading and annoying because multiple floors overlap each other on the display and occasionally the map has disappeared leaving only icons.

The crafting and upgrade system feels simple in a good way, I didn't spend too much time cycling through crap, a nice and steady sense of progression.

Playing on PS4 Pro it looks a little rough at times, cutscene direction could be better and the frame-rate drops every now and then but these things aren't hindering my enjoyment. The story is interesting enough and the combat is brilliant.

People talk about 2019 being a weak year in terms of heavy hitters but this is yet another 2019 game that I am thoroughly enjoying as much as anything that released last year.
Edit: The Ashtray Maze was really cool but wow some late game parts are abysmal, "Hey you know those enemies that have annoyed you all game? How about we throw a 100 of them at you and have them spawn behind you? Oh and you can't see a thing either"

Last edited:

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
someone played Expeditions ?

I just got kicked out of the Formation mid fight. No timer, nothing. I'm back in front of the jukebox wtf no token left.

I don't get it. I got it, found a recording, started a fight, got kicked out.

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
i wish you can listen to music while playing the game. Patch in a music player please. It will be awesome while doing expeditions

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
someone played Expeditions ?

I just got kicked out of the Formation mid fight. No timer, nothing. I'm back in front of the jukebox wtf no token left.

I don't get it. I got it, found a recording, started a fight, got kicked out.

when the song ends you get kicked out of the first fight, assuming you're talking about the very first visit