• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BigHatPaul

May 28, 2019
Has the game been improved for running on PS4 base model? Don't have the cash for pro and want to get trophies for it since it isn't on Steam. Feel like I need to experience it with all the hype it has generated and top lists it has made.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Just bought this today, just purged the second Control Point in Dead Letters. I don't want to know too much about what's going on, but just tell me this: should I be shooting all the Hiss-corrupted agents floating in the air or leave them? Is there a collectible for erasing all of them, or do I get punished for doing that?

Beyond that, loving it so far. Amazing atmosphere, the live action segments are cute and dumb in equal measure, and the visuals are insane even on base PS4. Tons of texture pop-in, though.

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Picked this up on sale and ended up playing 6 hours today. So dope. Slowdown is rough at times on PS4 as expected but the world building is super compelling and combat feels good and powerful. I'm hooked.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
How do game saves work? It doesn't seem to let you back out and then return to the exact location where you were.

Most things, like getting mods or collectibles cause an auto save, but you always spawn at your most recent control point.

Just bought this today, just purged the second Control Point in Dead Letters. I don't want to know too much about what's going on, but just tell me this: should I be shooting all the Hiss-corrupted agents floating in the air or leave them? Is there a collectible for erasing all of them, or do I get punished for doing that?

Ignore them

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Those seem few and far between, though I've only unlocked the one.

Also, can you kill the floaty peeps? I shoot them but it only causes a spatial distortion.

There are quite a few, you'll just have to keep progressing. I don't think you can kill the floating employees. They are there to chant and will sometimes become active hiss, but hiss can appear out of nowhere, so it's not like you'd be preventing combat or something.

Oct 27, 2017
I've got a problem I can't figure out. Using the Epic games launcher. Trying to reinstall the game, but it won't let me. The game is stuck loading. I've restarted the launcher, even reinstalled it, but nothing changed. It's forever stuck loading, which prevents me from installing it. No problems with any other game.

Any suggestions?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
So wait. If I die, I lose a bunch of the stuff I've collected? That seems like incredibly poor game design. Is there any way to alleviate the death punishment?

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So wait. If I die, I lose a bunch of the stuff I've collected? That seems like incredibly poor game design. Is there any way to alleviate the death punishment?
You save at travel point, that fully heal you and let you escape any threath with fast travel. The game also has a save on quit option but you will get teleported back to the last point you've visited at reload.

Dec 14, 2017
I've got a problem I can't figure out. Using the Epic games launcher. Trying to reinstall the game, but it won't let me. The game is stuck loading. I've restarted the launcher, even reinstalled it, but nothing changed. It's forever stuck loading, which prevents me from installing it. No problems with any other game.

Any suggestions?
Sounds like a launcher issue, did you reach out to EGS yet?

You lose a percent of source on death yes, it's only 10% or so. Source comes from almost everything though. There's no way to get rid of the punishment, except avoid dying.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a bit disappointed with the Expeditions. I thought there would be more variation run-to-run, or even between the difficultly levels. I beat the first two, just barely, so I'm dreading diving into the hardest.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
Picked this up from the EGS sale. A few preliminary thoughts:

1. Throwing stuff is fucking fuuuuuuuun. They nailed it. Max Payne 1 and 2 were best in class combat games, but Alan Wake was a step back IMO. The gimmicks so far in Control are maybe better than Max Payne. I really, really like throwing stuff.
2. Playing at 1440p and my GTX 1070 has finally met its match. Have to play using the Low preset. Still looks really good but might finally be time to consider an upgrade. Checked and bought my 1070 in January 2017 so it's almost 3 years old. Time flies.
3. Control is a video game ass video game. Remedy has this approach to level design and game mechanics that feels very specific to the medium of games. Real world photos on level art, bumping into objects that scatter wildly when the physics kick in, random ass NPCs milling around or getting into fights with enemies. I love this stuff. It's basically gaming kitsch and I'm very there for it.
4. Don't love the upgrade system, though. So far feels absolutely inconsequential. An extra 10% to throw efficiency and for that I'm going to manage an inventory of abstractly illustrated power ups? Nah.
5. Accidentally picked up a projector while it was playing a video, and the video kept playing so I could move it around the room. Just great. Hilarious.
6. Music cool, voice acting cool, visuals very cool. Prey, Inside, Control - neo-mid century modern dystopias have had a real good run this generation.

Anyway this game rules. Love to know that Remedy still has it.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
My 25% extra health and 50% or so extra damage didn't hurt. I believe I had 98% extra damage when aiming Pierce which was great for Tommasi.

Deleted member 38227

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 12, 2018
I'm early in the game, Mission 3 I think, and if this narrative keeps up, this will be my GotG after Bloodborne (it may even edge it out depending on the close). I love all the tapes, hotlines, etc. so far. Some things bother me a bit, narrative-wise, like how all the files call them "Hiss" before Jesse names them, but maybe this gets explained later.

I also picked up the season pass as 17 was too good to pass up, and when can I play the Isolation quest? I'm assuming it is placed on the board at some point.

Oct 25, 2017
Tried one go at tier 3 Expedition last night. Fuck that, what the hell.
+200% enemy health, -75% player weapon damage

How is that even possible? Did I get a really bad roll on that?

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
Patch on Xbox just dropped. 1gig.

Looks like the weapon mod menu has been updated (it cleared all my mods/equipped weapons) and is snappier.

Seriously, where the hell is the link for the Xbox season pass!?

Oct 25, 2017
If you ever thought Charge was too weak for the ammo cost, try Levitating!

mXUjP3g.jpg

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Played through most everything over a few days and loved it start to finish. A videogame ass videogame and a Remedy joint through and through. Difficulty felt just right, with a few tough sections and fights that had me rethinking my loadout but never prohibitively frustrating.

Ending itself felt a little abrupt, both Jesse's last few steps in her arc and what you see before credits roll, but the way it flows nicely into postgame cleanup makes it less of an issue. There's some satisfying reveals but it sets up even more, lots of compelling threads and character development to follow up on.

Seeing what appeared to be the roots of the World Tree in The Foundation made me start thinking about the narrative in terms of Norse mythology, which Remedy has leaned into before. The Hotline enabling communication from Asgard to Midgard, The Director a champion of the gods and the service weapon as your Mjölnir. The Hiss could be a singular entity from Slidescape-36 but it could also represent a primal evil that affects our plane without direct interaction, the same on the opposite end for Polaris as well.

Combined with heavy inspiration from Jung and secret government agency shenanigans, it's such a potent mix for fun, spooky world building and storytelling. Looking forward to that story DLC, both sound appealing for different reasons.

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
I just finished the main narrative. Yeah, this is easily my GotG, passing Bloodborne. It might be my favorite game of all time. Every element was superb, even the end. And any game with music by Tricky is an auto-win for me--actually, all the music was incredible. And those set-pieces: Ashtray Maze was sublime; the reference to the Russian film Stalker in the projector room; the Foundation.

The performance was the only negative for me, and it didn't really detract from the experience. Honestly, will all the shit flying everywhere, what the game is an amazing accomplishment.

I cannot wait for the season pass stuff. I hope it gives us more clues about Ahti. Another AWE to explore. And
Darling's fate
and closes
Dylan's arc?
I'll be thinking about this game for a good while.

Anyway, I adored the game. Fantastic job, Remedy. I'm a huge fan now, and will buy all their future games. Maybe I'll even pick up an Xbox to play Alan Wake...

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I just finished the main narrative. Yeah, this is easily my GotG, passing Bloodborne. It might be my favorite game of all time. Every element was superb, even the end. And any game with music by Tricky is an auto-win for me--actually, all the music was incredible. And those set-pieces: Ashtray Maze was sublime; the reference to the Russian film Stalker in the projector room; the Foundation.

The performance was the only negative for me, and it didn't really detract from the experience. Honestly, will all the shit flying everywhere, what the game is an amazing accomplishment.

I cannot wait for the season pass stuff. I hope it gives us more clues about Ahti. Another AWE to explore. And
Darling's fate
and closes
Dylan's arc?
I'll be thinking about this game for a good while.

Anyway, I adored the game. Fantastic job, Remedy. I'm a huge fan now, and will buy all their future games. Maybe I'll even pick up an Xbox to play Alan Wake...
You should probably wait for an Alan Wake remaster. I'm sure they'll release that before the sequel.

You're in for a ride!

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Does the Expeditions DLC add any history content after you finish it? I thought it was well integrated with the game and with really fun, but I read somewhere you meet Marshall in it? Did I miss something?

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
Beat this game the other day. I wanted to complete it because I wanted to have an educated opinion.

It's awful. Generic. A rehash of 15 year old ideas in a better engine. Remedy should make tech and bring in someone for game design.

I'm not trying to dunk on something popular. Just leaving my thoughts because I'm shocked more people dont share my sentiment.

Oct 25, 2017
I imagine Expeditions won't add new enemies or anything since it's free, but man, I really really really hope Foundation and AWE add new enemy types and bosses. I don't care what story excuse they need to pull off. I think the enemy variety and design in the base game are great already, but that's exactly why I want more. It'll make the DLCs so much more exciting if it's mostly brand new enemies.

Look at what From Software does, Remedy, please, that's the gold standard and would suit your game very well!

Just finished it last night, by the way, at 56 hours played. I feel like replaying the game to be able to better understand some story elements (which is great, feels like a Remedy game should), but the lack of any kind of NG+ progression makes me want to wait until I'm done with all the DLCs before doing that. I want to have all of my costumes and documents available on my first playthrough of the expansions.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Finished the game last night and really enjoyed it. Definitely a big step up from Quantum Break.

I adored the execution of The Oldest House. It made me feel paranoid and watched at all times and some of the subtle tricks they play on you with the environment really makes the House feel alive.

That provided some moments of genuine horror that compound the ever present dread. I'd honestly say that this is a borderline horror game. The atmosphere in general is just really oppressive and nothing ever really feels "safe". Which is kind of subverting the idea that a home or house should be a place of comfort.

When you unlock the full arsenal, the combat is a delight. Shifting between powers and shooting while zipping and floating around was often exhilarating when the game was firing on all cylinders.

The story really gets intense towards the end and Dylan was an extremely intimidating character.

My biggest issue with the game is honestly the ending. While not bad, it's kind of abrupt and you can tell they made it that way to set up DLC. I would have rather had finality in the vanilla package.

Overall, this feels like the successor to Psi Ops that I never got. In fact, I may make a thread comparing the two just for shits and giggles and to also show Psi Ops some love.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
So is there any way to get bureau alerts to spawn post-game? I've done everything except for the bureau alert trophies because I literally have not had a single one happen for me since the opening couple hours of the game. I know there's the mission select option in the main menu but I've heard it will overwrite/revert any post-game progress you've made so I'd rather not do that...

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
So is there any way to get bureau alerts to spawn post-game? I've done everything except for the bureau alert trophies because I literally have not had a single one happen for me since the opening couple hours of the game. I know there's the mission select option in the main menu but I've heard it will overwrite/revert any post-game progress you've made so I'd rather not do that...
Are you talking about the "go to this location and kill enemies/Hiss nodes"? If so, yeah, they occur post-game. Sometimes I've noticed that I won't get the alert but it will be in my Mission tab.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the Clocks area. It's weird how good this game is. Even the minor, clearly lower-effort side sections like this feel on par with entirely fleshed-out portions of other games.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Are you talking about the "go to this location and kill enemies/Hiss nodes"? If so, yeah, they occur post-game. Sometimes I've noticed that I won't get the alert but it will be in my Mission tab.
Yeah, I haven't had a single bureau alert happen for me since like chapter 3 and it's really annoying because that's all I need to get the platinum.

Phamit

Oct 26, 2017
So I got the game on PC, but the assets doesn't seem to load properly. At first everything worked fine, but now some assets are quite blurry. I saw on twitter that Shinobi had the same problem a few weeks ago. Is there any way to prevent this?