• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
I started playing this yesterday and its classic Remedy. Loving the game so far!

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Question: I'm enjoying this immensely, but due to various travels pre-and-post Christmas, I'm now in a window where I have the remainder of this week before I'll be away from it for a month, and I suspect the break in continuity will hurt my enjoyment a *lot*... so it'd be good to get it finished before Saturday.

I've said before in other contexts that I tend to have a very easygoing slow pace - I've described it as "naturally grindy" at times. I do keep getting sidetracked by side-content (particularly the Bureau Alerts), so I've been playing it slowly and taking it at my own pace - but I don't know if I can afford to keep doing that and still get it done.

I'm currently just leaving Research after turning on the HRA machine; and now I'll be heading off to maintenance to go get the Blackrock widgets. I think this is probably around halfway, maybe a little after, given that I've just got the achievement for 120 collectibles and there doesn't seem to be another one unless it's a hidden achievement, and because it appears there's only one remaining unvisited floor listed on the elevator panel, although there are definitely areas I haven't been through and clearance levels I've not reached yet.

So, with maybe five-six hours of free time left available to play, can I continue to take it easy or should I push to make a beeline to the end?

Dec 14, 2017
Question: I'm enjoying this immensely, but due to various travels pre-and-post Christmas, I'm now in a window where I have the remainder of this week before I'll be away from it for a month, and I suspect the break in continuity will hurt my enjoyment a *lot*... so it'd be good to get it finished before Saturday.

I've said before in other contexts that I tend to have a very easygoing slow pace - I've described it as "naturally grindy" at times. I do keep getting sidetracked by side-content (particularly the Bureau Alerts), so I've been playing it slowly and taking it at my own pace - but I don't know if I can afford to keep doing that and still get it done.

I'm currently just leaving Research after turning on the HRA machine; and now I'll be heading off to maintenance to go get the Blackrock widgets. I think this is probably around halfway, maybe a little after, given that I've just got the achievement for 120 collectibles and there doesn't seem to be another one unless it's a hidden achievement, and because it appears there's only one remaining unvisited floor listed on the elevator panel, although there are definitely areas I haven't been through and clearance levels I've not reached yet.

So, with maybe five-six hours of free time left available to play, can I continue to take it easy or should I push to make a beeline to the end?
You are about halfway yes. You can absolutely finish in your time frame if you stick to main missions. The side and endgame stuff maybe too, but it's sort of designed to be tackled later on. Bureau alerts will ramp up quickly and I don't recommend going after them constantly while on a first playthrough, while neat they sort of break the flow. So yeah, you can finish before you have to leave, easily

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
You are about halfway yes. You can absolutely finish in your time frame if you stick to main missions. The side and endgame stuff maybe too, but it's sort of designed to be tackled later on. Bureau alerts will ramp up quickly and I don't recommend going after them constantly while on a first playthrough, while neat they sort of break the flow. So yeah, you can finish before you have to leave, easily

Thanks, and good to know; hoping I can pull it off!

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
Just started this game. really loving it so far. like damn the mystery and the environments keep surprising me.

anyway I have a question for the end game dlc, expeditions. is it like a replayable challenge missions? like randomized encounters?

or am I way off? lol

Dec 14, 2017
Just started this game. really loving it so far. like damn the mystery and the environments keep surprising me.

anyway I have a question for the end game dlc, expeditions. is it like a replayable challenge missions? like randomized encounters?

or am I way off? lol
Expeditions is not really randomized. There are 4 set sub-activities in a 'run' but you will be given modifiers that are random. They can range from 'All weapons 75% reduced damage, except Charge' to '100% Health' and there are enemy modifiers too. The amount and intensity scale with the tier of expeditions.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I started this earlier today. It's immediately obvious this is a quality game. The atmosphere is incredibly unsettling. The combat is fun. I look forward to playing more.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
Expeditions is not really randomized. There are 4 set sub-activities in a 'run' but you will be given modifiers that are random. They can range from 'All weapons 75% reduced damage, except Charge' to '100% Health' and there are enemy modifiers too. The amount and intensity scale with the tier of expeditions.

ahh ok that sounds like some good fun.

also after playing this game and watching inception, I realized that Remedy can make a damn good inception game with all the different levels Control has.

Feb 10, 2018
Hi,

I bought this game because I'm a huge fan of House of Leaves, and I saw that it received great reviews. Unfortunately, the game is not for me. I find the combat boring (psy auto-aim while moving around), the enemies not that interesting, and the whole thing is a slog for me.

So I stopped it at around 5 / 6 hours of gameplay, with the TV Boss

Still, I'd like to know more about the story and the way the "house" changes in the game, can you point me to the highlights of the game, so that I can watch them on YouTube ?

Thanks !

Dec 14, 2017
Hi,

I bought this game because I'm a huge fan of House of Leaves, and I saw that it received great reviews. Unfortunately, the game is not for me. I find the combat boring (psy auto-aim while moving around), the enemies not that interesting, and the whole thing is a slog for me.

So I stopped it at around 5 / 6 hours of gameplay, with the TV Boss

Still, I'd like to know more about the story and the way the "house" changes in the game, can you point me to the highlights of the game, so that I can watch them on YouTube ?

Thanks !

Not sure what you mean by 'psy auto-aim' unless on console there is some aim assistance, but the combat opens up when you get all your abilities really. As for the story and changes, there's too much to try and explain, especially in the OT. Check out the spoiler thread.

Just about, 3:30 AM last night! Just left a big enough window to finish packing.

Nice! Now you can tackle the endgame stuff later.

Huntersknoll

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be honest.. I didn't get it. I didn't know why it was winning all the awards. Then a friend said, "hey you like twin peaks play Control" So I did that. I get it. Such a fantastic game.

Striferser

Oct 28, 2017
Finished the game with most sidequest done.

Really enjoyed it! Launching stuff and levitating never feel boring. Gunplay feel good and man, that environment destruction is just awesome. Running and gunning with shit exploding feel great. Story is weird, but i enjoy it. Incredible setpieces near the end of the game.

Minor complaint though
Lack of bosses variety (most of them just powered up regular enemies)
Not enough challenge, and the checkpoint location is a bit hit and miss.
Some boss fight feel cheap, especially the one where it could cause you to instantly death from falling. Like, if you wanna do that, i think making the camera a bit farther for that fight could really help, or just Jesse commenting about the hole the first time it happen.
Limited inventory for mods
Only two weapon slot change-> this one is a bummer. Going to menu to change weapon type is really annoying.

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't mind the bullshit checkpoint system and sudden difficulty spikes i've played worse. But what i can't get over is the fact you lose source everytime you die. I really want to do the side missions with the really hard bosses but i know i am going to lose a shit ton if not all of my source as i will probably die a few times. I might just wait till i've upgraded my weapons and got some higher tier mods before tackling the hard side missions.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Nice! Now you can tackle the endgame stuff later.

I did catch a fair few sidequests still, the only thing that I'm aware was available pre-postgame that I hadn't touched is the Jukebox (which I assume is context for the upcoming DLC?). I did get another quest when I came back into the game, but I assume that's postgame content only?

Really, really enjoyed it. Much like Alan Wake, the atmosphere is absolutely spot-on, and consistently so.

Dec 14, 2017
I did catch a fair few sidequests still, the only thing that I'm aware was available pre-postgame that I hadn't touched is the Jukebox (which I assume is context for the upcoming DLC?). I did get another quest when I came back into the game, but I assume that's postgame content only?

Really, really enjoyed it. Much like Alan Wake, the atmosphere is absolutely spot-on, and consistently so.
There are a few small quests only postgame, nothing major but definitely worth following up on. Jukebox may be connected more with the future DLC, but currently it's pretty much its own thing. I expect we'll hear more on the DLC soon as well.

eisschollee

Oct 25, 2018
I don't mind the bullshit checkpoint system and sudden difficulty spikes i've played worse. But what i can't get over is the fact you lose source everytime you die. I really want to do the side missions with the really hard bosses but i know i am going to lose a shit ton if not all of my source as i will probably die a few times. I might just wait till i've upgraded my weapons and got some higher tier mods before tackling the hard side missions.

I think i should conjure a bit of a souls-like . Hence the bonfires/checkpoints and the lost souls/source.
But I know your feeling. I had the same at the beginning...
But you only loose a about 10% of your total sum and after clearing a room again you mostly get it back.
And you dont hord the source. I aleays could upgrade my weapons, so i never had more the 40k.
And dying becomes less frequent once you upgrade launch and health

OP
OP
nihilence

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
I'm having expedition problems. No matter how well I do, I'm getting screwed. The better I play, the worse bs ruins my run.

Whew, finally beat one. And the reward is worse than what dropped during the fighting.

eisschollee

Oct 25, 2018
I'm having expedition problems. No matter how well I do, I'm getting screwed. The better I play, the worse bs ruins my run.

Whew, finally beat one. And the reward is worse than what dropped during the fighting.

I just got my levitate and a ton of sidequests and ca now reach all secret areas. So you would say to leave the expeditions be and first finish the main game and sidequests?

I mean the shooting mold gave me some trouble but other then that the game already became very easy with max health and max launch/ levitate

Dec 14, 2017
Save expeditions for last yes, they can be a source drain too. As for bad luck, the first two levels won't give great rewards, it's the third one that has the good stuff, but the modifiers can really make it impossible sometimes

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I got -65% Weapon damage and just couldn't do shit the third time. Expeditions are hard.

Also how to get more tokens ?

OP
OP
nihilence

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
I got -65% Weapon damage and just couldn't do shit the third time. Expeditions are hard.

Also how to get more tokens ?

You can construct more with source at A Control point under Astral constructs.

I would immediately abandon am expedition if the conditions were bad. Sacrifice the token to save a headache. My primary weapon is peirce. So if it gave me - 75% spin, game on.

Matzpxl

Jun 4, 2019
Brasília, Brazil
Hey guys, need some help.

In the last few months I had a hardware upgrade in my PC and had to reinstall the Epic Launcher. After that I went to redownloaded Control and found that my save was gone. I checked the hidden folder where the game stores the save file and it was empty. Does Control have cloud save support? If so how can I download it and recover my progress?

I finished the game but still want to play because of the new free DLC. If this doesnt work I just lost almost 30 hours of game. lol

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
I appreciate Remedy releasing free content but "just do a bunch of grindy combat" is precisely what I do not want to do in Control.

Looking forward to the story DLCs though!

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure I'm at the end and I gotta say

fuck this endgame wave of enemy bullshit. soo fucking lazy and annoying whoever thought this was a good idea. I wish we just had actual boss battles at this point and not just having them at sidequests.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
Is the PS4 exclusive content on disc or it comes with a voucher to redeem? I ask in case I want to grab a used copy of the game.

CyrilFiggis

Nov 3, 2017
Pennsylvania
Is the PS4 exclusive content on disc or it comes with a voucher to redeem? I ask in case I want to grab a used copy of the game.
Mine was on a voucher inside the game case. If you get it used it likely won't have it or it will have already been redeemed.

IMO the PS4 exclusives aren't all that impressive. The extra costume is pretty meh. You get a weapon and a personal mod, and they are decent at the start of the game, but you'll get much better mods as you play. I do like one of the PS4 themes that came with it, but I wouldn't consider it to be a big selling point.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
Mine was on a voucher inside the game case. If you get it used it likely won't have it or it will have already been redeemed.

IMO the PS4 exclusives aren't all that impressive. The extra costume is pretty meh. You get a weapon and a personal mod, and they are decent at the start of the game, but you'll get much better mods as you play. I do like one of the PS4 themes that came with it, but I wouldn't consider it to be a big selling point.
I want to play the Kojima mission.

CyrilFiggis

Nov 3, 2017
Pennsylvania
I want to play the Kojima mission.
As in Hideo Kojima? Didn't know there was one. I bought the basic version and it came with some small PS4 exclusive extras (themes, mods, and an extra outfit) but no extra missions. Perhaps that comes in a Deluxe version or something, sorry for not being helpful.

edit: It looks like this Kojima mission "Isolation" is PS4 exclusive and that you need to buy the season pass to get access to it. So it doesn't sound like buying a used copy will be a problem for you, since you'd be buying the season pass through the PS store.

Last edited:

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Alright I just finished the main game along with almost all the side missions last night. I love this game.

first off, the bad: long ass load times, which sucks cause I died a lot in some places. Plus the game encourages fast travel with the times bureau missions. Also I hated the map. Also enemies spawning in mid fight could be really frustrating at times.

that being said, the combat is awesome, the story is awesome, the setting/atmosphere is awesome and learning the history of the FBC is really good. Jesse is great as well. I want more, now!

I bought the season pass because it's on sale even though pretty much nothing comes with it. It'll probably get a deeper sale by the time something comes out, but whatever.

my favorite line of the game:
"the fridge is doing something!"
I know it's supposed to be serious but it cracked me up. I generally enjoyed all the side missions actually. Except cleaning up mold.

I would enjoy a tv series that follows daily life at the FBC. It could vary between horror and comedy.

edit: I kinda hate expeditions.

more edits: okay I really hate expeditions. I should quit now. I was proud of myself cause I completed the islands in time only to find out there's a boss back at the beginning I have to kill before time runs out. Wtf

Last edited:

smashballTaz

Oct 29, 2017
I picked this up in the Epic sale after hearing so many good things about it. I'm enjoying it so far, but really hating the old-school health system. Having a tough time on the first hiss-corrupted boss in the communications room, is it? He does way too much damage to me, and I try and wait it out and kill the spawns for health, but I found myself trapped on the geometry a lot and a lot of the time when I throw something at him it will collide with a wall or a pillar or something. Very frustrating. There's something about the character movement that feels.. off. I don't know how to describe it. I think part of it is waiting for the player animation to change when trying to quickly change direction from left-right. Hopefully when I get more upgrades later in the game I won;t just out of energy, ammo or psychic power so quickly.

Any tips?

Dec 14, 2017
I picked this up in the Epic sale after hearing so many good things about it. I'm enjoying it so far, but really hating the old-school health system. Having a tough time on the first hiss-corrupted boss in the communications room, is it? He does way too much damage to me, and I try and wait it out and kill the spawns for health, but I found myself trapped on the geometry a lot and a lot of the time when I throw something at him it will collide with a wall or a pillar or something. Very frustrating. There's something about the character movement that feels.. off. I don't know how to describe it. I think part of it is waiting for the player animation to change when trying to quickly change direction from left-right. Hopefully when I get more upgrades later in the game I won;t just out of energy, ammo or psychic power so quickly.

Any tips?
Jesse is incredibly snappy and responsive, is your tv/monitor one with bad input lag? This is probably the first time I've heard someone having 'control' issues. Your reticule is also key, even if Jesse body and arm doesn't line up exactly with the vector, the shot will be accurate, need to have faith in Jesse's visual movement and aiming.

Launch can be unleashed at any time during the drag. If you want to ensure you won't hit other objects, hold it until the item is next to you and you have a clear line of sight with your target. You can really use the instant start nature later and hit multiple targets from different angles once you get the hang of it.

Tomassi's attacks are very predictable, stay away from him and clear the small fries first. If you see him near you just sprint to another section of the room. He will throw two objects at you, you can just bait them out and use pillars to block them, then launch one item at him so he jukes. Then hit him with Grip headshots.

And yeah, there are a good amount of upgrades that you'll have bigger health and energy pools. Your ammo count stays the same, but you will get ammo cost/reload speed mods as well.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I'm so late to the party on this. Watched a friend of mine playing and within ten minutes I had to buy it, this game is so incredible! Just a real joy in every aspect. It's so fun and engaging at the same time, I can't believe I'm so blessed to be playing like,
The Matrix Akira Twin Peaks Annihilation/Area X/X-Files
video game and I love every respawning enemy minute of it hahaha

I'm almost positive I'd call this a personal top ten of the generation for sure, if you're into the numbering lunacy. It's so responsive and fun minute to minute, with a lot of charming depth. And its idea of madness is fantastic horror.

Last edited:

smashballTaz

Oct 29, 2017
Thanks I will try those tips out. I've got so close so many times! My monitor is a fancy Benq 144hz so its really shouldn't be monitor lag. I think I'm panicking out and trying to throw things at him too early and hitting an object in the way. Will try again later.

Quikies83

Oct 25, 2017
Mississippi
Posted this in wrong thread:
I reeeally want to pick this game up on Xbox.. can anyone chime in on performance on the One X?
Tired of waiting for a sale or for it to jump on game pass! :) I'm so close to pulling the trigger.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Posted this in wrong thread:
I reeeally want to pick this game up on Xbox.. can anyone chime in on performance on the One X?
Tired of waiting for a sale or for it to jump on game pass! :) I'm so close to pulling the trigger.

Started the game a couple nights ago and I think it's in a solid spot now. Only had one momentary stutter in a boss fight but aside from that my first couple of hours have been smooth, and it feels a good deal better than when I tried the game at launch.

Sep 14, 2018
more edits: okay I really hate expeditions. I should quit now. I was proud of myself cause I completed the islands in time only to find out there's a boss back at the beginning I have to kill before time runs out. Wtf

Just wanted to chime in to say the boss at the end of expeditions can be beaten extremely easily by putting up the shield when you hear the scream, it will always absorb the full impact and be destroyed so you can immediately attack the boss.

Also areas 3 and 4 can be done in like 1 minute if you ignore the enemies and just do the objectives, they're pretty clueless about interrupting you.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Just wanted to chime in to say the boss at the end of expeditions can be beaten extremely easily by putting up the shield when you hear the scream, it will always absorb the full impact and be destroyed so you can immediately attack the boss.

Also areas 3 and 4 can be done in like 1 minute if you ignore the enemies and just do the objectives, they're pretty clueless about interrupting you.

I had to take a break, I got to the boss but didn't have enough time left. I usually get whooped on in the 3rd and 4th islands if I ignore the enemies. I usually would just try to seize a couple as a distraction.

thanks for the advice, I'll remember it when I decide to try again. I'll probably come back to it after the DLC comes out.

MauroNL

What Are Ya' Buying?
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Man, I'm not sure who thought this checkpoint system was a good idea because it can make this game super frustrating. I had some issues with it in the main campaign but now that I'm doing the side missions and some of the boss battles its REALLY annoying having to travel back to the boss after you die. Not only does it take a while, it spawns new enemies as well and it just sucks out all the fun for me, especially that annoying mold fucker.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I'm not sure who thought this checkpoint system was a good idea because it can make this game super frustrating. I had some issues with it in the main campaign but now that I'm doing the side missions and some of the boss battles its REALLY annoying having to travel back to the boss after you die. Not only does it take a while, it spawns new enemies as well and it just sucks out all the fun for me, especially that annoying mold fucker.
giphy.gif

Jul 9, 2019
I'm a few hours in and I'm a bit torn on the game. I enjoy the combat a lot more now that I've unlocked a couple of interesting abilities. It's a lot of fun to smash objects into your enemies.

The setting hasn't fully convinced me yet. Alan Wake worked so well, because you started in a very believable environment. It was fun and exciting to look for the weird and corrupted in an otherwise ordinary setting. Later in the game, reality gets more and more twisted and everything normal is an opportunity to catch your breath. I think Twin Peaks works in a similar fashion with its utterly mundane town and the utterly strange Black Lodge and other weird places.
In Control, the setting is weird from the get-go. If everything is strange, none of it particularly stands out. Remedy has done a great job of emulating brutalism though. I think you have to accustom your audience a bit more gentle to a setting like this if you want them to care about it. Same goes for the story. It already starts super weird. Where do you go from that? Alan Wake started with his wife going missing and ended with him rewriting reality.

I'm also not a fan of Jesse and Emily. Their matter-of-factness attitude towards the situation and place they are in make them totally unbelievable. And their voice actors put me to sleep. Really dig Trench and Dr. Darling (who sounds a lot like Alan Wake) though. Oh, and Ahti is great!

So far, I'm a bit disappointed in the objects of power you can find and read about in the memos. Might be because I've read my fair share of really creative SCP files.

I enjoy it enough to continue to play it. Looking forward to find out what the connection to Alan Wake is.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the game this evening and feel a little conflicted about it. Combat and world are top-notch Remedy, but not having the explicit pacing that the episodic, linear, structure provided left things feeling a bit too... intense(?) in my playthrough. I was constantly under a barrage of respawning combat, blacked out lore and sidequests; at a certain point everything starts blurring together. Just wish there was a bit more downtime baked into the main scenario like you'd have in "episodes" of Alan Wake or Quantum Break.

Last edited: