• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
ERA: This was intentional from devs and it's bullshit, totally fucks over customer

Developer: Sorry about that, it was unintended effect from trying to get in some DLC authentication as EGS can't do it

ERA: This just confirms that it was intentional from devs and it's bullshit, totally fucks over customer

Can't win huh? Should have just left it as is apparently and not bother with rollback.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Was just about to play some more last night, but it broke in home streaming (through steam) for me as well.

Good to hear they're rolling it back.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
ERA: This was intentional from devs and it's bullshit, totally fucks over customer

Developer: Sorry about that, it was unintended effect from trying to get in some DLC authentication as EGS can't do it

ERA: This just confirms that it was intentional from devs and it's bullshit, totally fucks over customer

Can't win huh? Should have just left it as is apparently and not bother with rollback.

They tried to implement DLC authentication using EGS account so it was intentional move. They just didn't implement it right or they couldn't implement it better with current tools EPic gave them. One was or another they did just screw paying customers over because first DLC is still far from release.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
They tried to implement DLC authentication using EGS account so it was intentional move. They just didn't implement it right or they couldn't implement it better with current tools EPic gave them. One was or another they did just screw paying customers over because first DLC is still far from release.

To be honest I don't really see whole "It's fucking over paying customer" part of it at all. Because how poorly EGS is put together and how it enables piratism (just copy paste installed game into .7zip and upload as torrent basically (super simplified)) I really can't blame developer for putting some DRM in even if "game is lost" at this point. There is no way Remedy feels great that people are able to refund their game, but still keep all access to it and even slap in DLCs as torrent downloads.

Offline play is just side effect of EGS not having any licensing check systems in place and not intended feature of EGS.

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
It's almost like the EGS' main problem isn't the paid exclusives, but how shittily it works

MaLDo

Oct 27, 2017
To be honest I don't really see whole "It's fucking over paying customer" part of it at all. Because how poorly EGS is put together and how it enables piratism (just copy paste installed game into .7zip and upload as torrent basically (super simplified)) I really can't blame developer for putting some DRM in even if "game is lost" at this point. There is no way Remedy feels great that people are able to refund their game, but still keep all access to it and even slap in DLCs as torrent downloads.

Offline play is just side effect of EGS not having any licensing check systems in place and not intended feature of EGS.

Oh boy, you're making all that sound even more interesting than waiting a year to buy the game in Steam.

Don't worry, I'm pretty sure that Remedy is swimming in Epic's money.

Amirite?

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
I played through the XB1 version, and am still planning a day-one purchase on Steam. Feeling vindicated about not touching the EGS version with a ten-foot pole - by next year, the DLC should be out and any major issues should be addressed.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
lmao at some folks still turning this into a jab against epic

but i'm glad remedy came out and reverted this relatively quickly

I played through the XB1 version, and am still planning a day-one purchase on Steam. Feeling vindicated about not touching the EGS version with a ten-foot pole - by next year, the DLC should be out and any major issues should be addressed.
you could've bought an egs key for it at like $15 from here in the BST thread but you'll pat yourself on the back over playing it with worse performance with hardware drm because the exe doesn't launch from a particular program. well, alright.

Last edited:

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017

I don't see how Remedy can possibly complain. That's just the service you get from a 12% store. For better infrastructure and service you'd need to go to a platform with a higher cut, say somewhere around 30%. You get what you pay for.

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
Yeah bull to the shit that Epic wasn't involved here somehow. This is straight out of the Square-Enix/SEGA playbook.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Steam doesn't force usage of Steam DRM. Reason why Ubisoft games on Epic Store don't require Epic Launchers is because there is no Epic Store API. That is why you buy MTX from UPLay overlay and not Epic Store. They simply don't have infrastructure to do it.
Yes, this is what people said when I first brought it up earlier this year when Division 2 came out. But the existence of F2P games on EGS proves that it's out of choice (or atleast not a priority) and not a failure of the store's functionality. Because if it was the latter you'd think they'd be on it first thing if they actually wanted to get that mtx cut but can't due to their infrastructure limitation. It also would make sense why Ubi would choose to go exclusive with them if they are able to get all the mtx money for themselves instead of the platform owner taking a cut like steam.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
I hope Epic update their platfotm to avoid stupidity like this

Yeah, single player games need to remain playable offline, and don't prevent people from launching the executable through Steam (so they can stream, use the controller support etc).

Anything else will only multiply the already considerable hostility towards the platform.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
The game was pirated DAY ONE.

I wonder why Remedy tried to do anything about it. Stupid Remedy, right? Oh, how naive of them to think piracy hurt them. Eh, some people.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
What is the deal with Steam DRM anyway? Is it just convenient for most games to have it since it's an included extra when releasing on Steam anyway?
Without it people can copy the game data to other PCs and run it without having paid for it. It'll essentially be DRM free like GoG. A number of games on Steam don't have this DRM, and you can copy and run them on any PC.

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
I rarely ever play DLC unless it's included in an ultimate edition so I'll just keep the version I have forever unpatched

(and yes I read Rememdy's response)

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
What is the deal with Steam DRM anyway? Is it just convenient for most games to have it since it's an included extra when releasing on Steam anyway?

If you're leveraging a bunch of other Steamworks features into your game (multiplayer, trading cards, achievements, etc.), it's handy to ensure the user is actually launching the game through Steam to make sure those features work. In Valve's documentation they admit it's not really a good anti-piracy feature otherwise, maybe enough to stop Day 1:

The Steam DRM wrapper by itself is not is not a anti-piracy solution. The Steam DRM wrapper protects against extremely casual piracy (i.e. copying all game files to another computer) and has some obfuscation, but it is easily removed by a motivated attacker.

If you're developing a game that doesn't require the Steamworks API for anything you can skip it, or slap it on just to give you that likely 1 day (if that) of no piracy.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, this is what people said when I first brought it up earlier this year when Division 2 came out. But the existence of F2P games on EGS proves that it's out of choice (or atleast not a priority) and not a failure of the store's functionality. Because if it was the latter you'd think they'd be on it first thing if they actually wanted to get that mtx cut but can't due to their infrastructure limitation. It also would make sense why Ubi would choose to go exclusive with them if they are able to get all the mtx money for themselves instead of the platform owner taking a cut like steam.

That is why currently most if not all F2P games on Epic store have those Founders packs and DLCs that act like MTX. Also Fortnite has build in store in game itself and that is part of Epic Online Tools that they announced at GDC and then delayed. So i wouldn't say that it is by choice, it is simply issue of underdeveloped store.

Oct 25, 2017

I wonder why Remedy tried to do anything about it. Stupid Remedy, right? Oh, how naive of them to think piracy hurt them. Eh, some people.
There's nothing they can do once it's already pirated. This only affects paying customers.

Unless a pirate really wants photomode, then I suppose they do need to wait for a new crack.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
this is hyper weird
why can't you be normal, era
Why can't Epic respect their users' privacy instead of scraping their drives for data they don't have permission for?
They've already done it once before, and have shown that they don't care about lying to customers if it benefits them.
Remember that time they said they wouldn't buy up exclusivity for games that already had an announced release date on Steam, and did it again only days later? They've lost my trust. I have no reason to believe they won't do it again.

It does seem a little extreme.
It's really no big thing though. Hyper-V is built into Windows, so it only takes a couple of minutes to set up a new VM. I didn't even have to - I already had one set up.
It maybe adds 30 seconds to the install process to spin up the VM, and then move the files once it's downloaded the game.
epic-vm-0vj1e.png

Now I have a copy of Celeste that any of my PCs can access and play without having to deal with the client, or being locked out of playing it if their servers die because of a new Fortnite season.

Adding DRM to a game that is already pirated doesn't retroactively remove the pirated version from circulation. All it does is restrict what people that paid for the game can do with it.

Last edited:

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like this thread title could use the addition of 'Remedy rolls back patch'. 'Remedy responds' is kinda ambiguous and my first thought was that they'd simply put out a statement, not immediately fixed the problem.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can see why they'd want to validate the DLC. But that was supposed to be a simple check, not an always-on DRM - and they're going to fix it. I don't think there's a reason to worry there.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Steam doesn't force usage of Steam DRM. Reason why Ubisoft games on Epic Store don't require Epic Launchers is because there is no Epic Store API. That is why you buy MTX from UPLay overlay and not Epic Store. They simply don't have infrastructure to do it.

The Epic Store is missing lots of things, but the craziest thing they're missing that no one talks about is giftcard support. It blew my mind how the Fortnite people didn't have giftcards ready for the 2018 holiday season, and my mind is sent orbiting around the moon knowing they won't have that support or infrastructure for the 2019 holiday season either. Even if you wanted to digitally gift Vbucks or Epic Store money to someone, the system just can't do it. I can't even imagine how much money that is left on the table when Fortnite is as big as it is.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
The Epic Store is missing lots of things, but the craziest thing they're missing that no one talks about is giftcard support. It blew my mind how the Fortnite people didn't have giftcards ready for the 2018 holiday season, and my mind is sent orbiting around the moon knowing they won't have that support or infrastructure for the 2019 holiday season either. Even if you wanted to digitally gift Vbucks or Epic Store money to someone, the system just can't do it. I can't even imagine how much money that is left on the table when Fortnite is as big as it is.

They can't do giftcards on Epic Store (at least ones sold in retail stores) because 12% cut is not enough to cover those costs. They could maybe do digital ones but because there is no gifting support on the store they can't do those either.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They can't do giftcards on Epic Store (at least ones sold in retail stores) because 12% cut is not enough to cover those costs. They could maybe do digital ones but because there is no gifting support on the store they can't do those either.

Typical retail giftcards, yes. But after the retail cut, they'd see 100% of "VBuck cards" if they ever could put them out.

I can understand physical giftcards not taking form yet. It's the digital gifting not being there that is really crazy.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Typical retail giftcards, yes. But they'd see 100% of "VBuck cards" if they ever could put them out.

I can understand physical giftcards not taking form yet. It's the digital gifting not being there that is really crazy.

According to Valve selling wallet cards in stores costs them 15% or more per sold card. So no they wouldn't see 100% from those. They would take 15+% hit on those cards and then 12% hit on whatever is bought with those cards. That is why they can sell V-Buck cards in stores. But yeah digital gifting not being there day 1 is crazy. But again digital gifting is not easy to implement these days when publishers don't want to allow cross region gifting.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
According to Valve selling wallet cards in stores costs them 15% or more per sold card. So no they wouldn't see 100% from those. They would take 15+% hit on those cards and then 12% hit on whatever is bought with those cards. That is why they can sell V-Buck cards in stores. But yeah digital gifting not being there day 1 is crazy. But again digital gifting is not easy to implement these days when publishers don't want to allow cross region gifting.

I sneakily edited in a "after the retail cut" into my post because I realized I sounded dumb

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Control devs roll back an update that added DRM – "no need to blame Epic for our mistakes"

How do you add DRM by mistake?

And this guy guessed it

If you had read Remedy's response to this patch, threadmarked in this thread too, they state their intention was to add DRM / licensing checks in order to have DLC checked before it activates in the game. It becoming what it was in patch was unintended by them hence the rollback.