• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia

(Click for general game info.)

🖥️ System requirements:
controluesysreqsvykrh.jpg

🧰 Latest drivers: (as at 24/02/2022)
AMD: 22.2.2
Nvidia: 511.79

📊 Benchmarks:
ComputerBase (German; review build)
GameGPU (Russian; review build)
Overclock3D (English; launch build[?])
PC Games Hardware (German; review build)
TechPowerUp (English; launch build)
Wccftech (English; review build)

📊 Performance guides:
Nvidia (English; launch build)

🎩 Tips and tricks:
Cap the frame rate/potentially improve frame times: Download RivaTuner Statistics Server (if you use MSI Afterburner, then you already have it installed), input your desired framerate limit in the "Framerate limit" box, and hit Enter . Alternatively, those with an Nvidia GPU can either cap the frame rate at the driver level via the Nvidia Control Panel (requires the 441.87+ drivers) or use Nvidia Inspector to force a vsync internal lower than one-half (click the small tool icon to open the game profile section).
Note: Useful if your system can't maintain, say, 60fps and you're sensitive to the wild fluctuations, or you're experiencing uneven frame times. The greater window the engine has to render a given frame, if you're imposing a lower frame rate than the game can otherwise provide, may also help in alleviating stuttering related to data streaming.
Mitigate stuttering (1; DX11): Open the Nvidia Control Panel, navigate to 3D Settings -> Program Settings -> Control (you may need to add the executable manually), and enable Low Latency Mode. (Credit to Dan Longman.)
Mitigate stuttering (2): Slightly reduce the clockspeeds on your GPU. (Credit to Dan Longman.)
Mitigate stuttering (3; DX12): Follow these instructions. (Credit to gerardfraser @ Guru3D via Dusker.)
Mitigate stuttering (4): Lower the texture resolution. (Credit to Anddo.)

icon_warning.png
When posting your own tip/trick or something else you'd like to see here in the OP, be sure to tag my username (@GrrImAFridge), as this way I'll receive a notification. I may miss your suggestion otherwise.

⚙️ Graphics settings:

Display mode: Windowed; Borderless; Fullscreen
Resolution: Self-explanatory
Render resolution: Native (e.g. 1080p); lower resolution #1 (e.g. 1366x768 at 1080p); lower resolution #2 (e.g. 1280x720 at 1080p); lower resolution #3 (e.g. 960x540 at 1080p)
Nvidia DLSS: Off/On
Vsync: Off/On
Brightness: Self-explanatory
Quality preset: Low; Medium; High; Custom
Far object detail (LoD): Low; Medium; High
Texture resolution: Low; Medium; High; Ultra
Texture filtering: Low; Medium; High
Shadow resolution: Low; Medium; High
Shadow filtering: Low; Medium;

Volumetric lighting: Low; Medium; High
SSAO: Off/On
Screen-space reflections quality: Off; Medium; High
Global reflections: Off; Medium; High
MSAA: Off; 2x; 4x
Film grain: Off/On
Ray tracing preset: Off; Medium; High; Custom
Ray traced reflections: Off/On
Ray traced transparent reflections: Off/On
Ray traced indirect diffuse lighting: Off/On
Ray traced contact shadows: Off/On
Ray traced debris: Off/On

Last edited:

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This seems like a game I will be glad to have Gsync for.

alexwise

Nov 3, 2017
PC performance seems to be poor for me so far since Epic Store won't even let me download the game. Still says Unavailable

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
My 2080 is ready to burn up, I'll go with max everything at 1440p and see if I can tolerate it.

Sep 12, 2018
Amazing to think the CPU I had only a couple of months ago (i5 4670k) is below the minimum requirements haha.

My 9900k and 2070 Super are ready.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
7700k and vanilla 2070 bracing for impact. Keeping RTX performance expectations low; I'm only at 1080p so DLSS tends to make things a blurry mess.

Rams

Dec 13, 2017
Can anyone explain why DLSS locks my "Render Resolution" to 960p?

That's what DLSS does. It renders the game at a lower resolution and upscales (that's simplifying it, but yeah...) the image. The ratio is fixed in relation to your native resolution, or at least I've not seen an implementation that allows you to switch the pre-upscale resolution without changing the target resolution.

Rams

Dec 13, 2017
If anyone knows whether GFE already supports the game or doesn't, I'd love to know. I'm interested in trying out the new nvidia sharpen filter, and this would be the perfect game for it, given the hefty performance requirements at 1440p+RTX enabled.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
I hope the performance are better tha quantum, that game still run like shit even today...

I don't wanna play at medium with frame dips in full-hd with a fucking 1070\8600k...

ussjtrunks

Oct 25, 2017
Is the weird stuttering on console visible on pc too? The gameplay vids looks like it drops to 1fps

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
Someone please share 2070/80 Max-Q perf with RTX ON. Quote me if you get the data. Thanks!

Edit, found something close to my ask: mid-30s to mid-50s as per wccftech. I'll take it.

Last edited:

shinbojan

Oct 27, 2017
I hope the performance are better tha quantum, that game still run like shit even today...

I don't wanna play at medium with frame dips in full-hd with a fucking 1070\8600k...

Well, it's not too bad now. You can run it in 1440p/60 with, or 1080p/60 without reconstruction.
I just replayed it a few days ago.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Turning vsync on caps the Frame rate to 30?

Am I missing something or is this really how it is?
I never use the Vsync setting in the game itself. I have it set to 'on' by default globally in the Nvidia driver settings, and then disable on a specific game basis in the driver settings if necessary (you can choose driver settings for each specific game). The in-game setting has no effect then and you can enjoy vsync'd 60fps.

GhostBanana

Mar 18, 2019
Hamburg
I do not understand what DLSS does. Guess I need to find a video to explain it. If I play at 1440p DLSS it up-scales the image at 1080p?

alexwise

Nov 3, 2017
Performance is pretty bad on my 1080ti at 1440p. Settings are set on highest apart from shadows (medium) and volumetrics (low). Frame rate is anywhere between 60 and 80.

I can gain frames back by setting rendering resolution to 1080p but the game becomes very very grainy imo, so I would rather stick to native.

DX11 vs 12. From my limited comparison, there's not much difference in frame rate (1-2 FPS maybe). But one curios thing is that the CPU utilization is actually higher in DX12 which is odd since the whole point of DX12 is to reduce CPU overhead

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
I do not understand what DLSS does. Guess I need to find a video to explain it. If I play at 1440p DLSS it up-scales the image at 1080p?

It basically uses machine learning (based on lots of 8k screenshots of the game) to upscale the final image. It should ideally be free of aliasing or artifacts, but people aren't crazy about it. The new Nvidia sharpening filter actually does a better job at emulating a higher resolution, at a much lower performance cost.

taggen86

Mar 3, 2018
based on the initial sections of the game, the game seems to hold a 50 hz v sync most of the time at 1440p with all settings maxed including ray tracing on my 2080 ti and it seems to generate an even more stable 60 fps at 1440p DLSS (generated from a 1080p image). Better than expected given the number of rtx effects at the same time. The difference between normal 1440p and 1440p DLSS is not so visible in this game because of all the post processing, so right now I will prob go for the latter.. Too bad nvidia sharpening is not supported. Have someone tried reshade with the AMD sharpening port?

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
Will be getting a 2070 Super and 3700X in a few days plus a code for this. Usually I'd say that's pretty good but I have no idea what to expect for this tbh.

GhostBanana

Mar 18, 2019
Hamburg
It basically uses machine learning (based on lots of 8k screenshots of the game) to upscale the final image. It should ideally be free of aliasing or artifacts, but people aren't crazy about it. The new Nvidia sharpening filter actually does a better job at emulating a higher resolution, at a much lower performance cost.
Thanks.

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
based on the initial sections of the game, the game seems to hold a 50 hz v sync most of the time at 1440p with all settings maxed including ray tracing on my 2080 ti and it seems to generate an even more stable 60 fps at 1440p DLSS (generated from a 1080p image). Better than expected given the number of rtx effects at the same time. The difference between normal 1440p and 1440p DLSS is not so visible in this game because of all the post processing, so right now I will prob go for the latter.. Too bad nvidia sharpening is not supported. Have someone tried reshade with the AMD sharpening port?

Wait what? Control is one of Nvidias big guns and it does not support its newest feature. Seems odd.

toastybanana

Oct 27, 2017
Does raytracing just not work on Pascal cards for this game? Thought I'd try messing around with the options but it just crashes when I turn it on regardless of whatever resolution I have it on.

sym30l1c

Oct 25, 2017
2080 Ti + 2700x here. High settings + RTX High + DLSS, in the very first area performance is in the high 50s. In his video Karak suggested to disable RTX indirect diffuse lighting: without that I gain around 10fps.

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Does raytracing just not work on Pascal cards for this game? Thought I'd try messing around with the options but it just crashes when I turn it on regardless of whatever resolution I have it on.

Bummer, I thought I try some stuff on my 1080. Some scenes in Tomb Raider are perfectly playable with raytracing on.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
I think I'll go with 1440p DLSS on my 2080 Ti. Doesn't hit 60fps but the image quality is decent. 1080p DLSS is honestly pretty impressive too and should be a 60fps lock if people want to go with that. 4K native doesn't even hit 30fps so that's out of the question. Gonna have to wait for like a 4080 Ti to run that.

The raytracing is ridiculously good, as expected. Going into a room, seeing a bright exit sign reflected on a screen and instantly thinking "that's just a cubemap" but then getting closer and seeing everything reflected is so good. I think reflections are the one RT effect that adds the most, then comes the diffuse lighting and then the contact shadows. I need to have them all on personally.

controlscreenshot2019p8jch.png

Look at this phone just casually reflecting the whole room.

controlscreenshot2019fgjvu.jpg

I wish we could get the RTX on/off button that they had at E3 or whatever.

Last edited:

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Am I missing something or is there no toggle for Motion Blur?

It's looks fucking horrible every time I turn the camera.

empo

Jan 27, 2018
Surprised that I can play at 1080@60 with everything on High/RTX High + DLSS, I'll have to see if it holds up with more action
3700X + RTX2060

Oct 28, 2017
Getting big sudden stops when a lot of environment destruction happens with raytracing on for debris. A bit of an annoyance. 2070 Super and a Ryzen 2600.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
I'm interested in seeing how this will run on my 2080ti and 9900k tonight. Especially the RTX options. I run at 3440x1440 too so not sure what sort of framerate i'd Be looking at if I crank everything to it's highest setting.