• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Yes, playing at 4k but DLSS @ 1440p, all other settings maxed out, volumetric lighting high. Mostly consistent 60 fps. Some small drops occasionally. This is with the reservation that I have only played up until the first boss, so my performance may well become worse down the line.

How far do you overclock your CPU and GPU?
Oh you don't have the real perspective yet. Come back and let us know how things are performing once you have 12 or so missions completed under your belt. Shit gets rough late game. Early game performance can fool ya.

See the contrast in early posts just after starting from some of us vs now. Biggest issue people are running into is hard stutters. I saw none for 75% of the game. Now near the end, it's becoming very intrusive.

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Good thing I don't "have" to play this at 60fps. Been playing on a 1080 at 1080/30 with some raytracing features on and everything maxed. Still early so I don't know know if it'll hold up in the later fights, but it looks absolutely amazing.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
I've a 9900k @ 4.8, but at 4k you're mostly GPU bound. When you say first "boss" are you talking about the first time an enemy has a "health" bar under them? If so I think I know where you are. Keep playing, and I'm curious if it holds at 60. I have a small OC on my 2080ti of +150/+600.

Yes I realize the 2080ti is expensive, but so is real time ray tracing. This is the first gen of it, and you CAN get 1080p60 with RTX on in just about every title, even without a 2080Ti. They do handle ray tracing well, you're just not accustomed to having to sacrifice resolution for it. I bought my 2080Ti for ray tracing and 4k performance. For the latter it's been a great card, and when I do use ray tracing, it works well there too. If you bought into the first generation of new consumer technology without completely understanding what comes with that, that's on you, not the card.

Oh I'm not talking about me. I bought my 2080ti purely for 4k gaming. RT was just a bonus. I was referring to somebody who was asking whether they should upgrade from a 1080ti to a 2080ti for RT. I don't think it's worth it because no RTX card handles RT well above 1080p without DLSS and I don't think RT at 1080p is enough of an attraction to justify a $1200 price point. Might as well wait since the next series isn't that far off anyway and RT will likely get a significant bump in performance with those cards.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Good thing I don't "have" to play this at 60fps. Been playing on a 1080 at 1080/30 with some raytracing features on and everything maxed. Still early so I don't know know if it'll hold up in the later fights, but it looks absolutely amazing.
60 is def not necessary, though you do begin to feel the latency creeping up.

The bigger issue is the stuttering. You'll see late-game.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
Oh I'm not talking about me. I bought my 2080ti purely for 4k gaming. RT was just a bonus. I was referring to somebody who was asking whether they should upgrade from a 1080ti to a 2080ti for RT. I don't think it's worth it because no RTX card handles RT well above 1080p without DLSS. Might as well wait since the next series isn't that far off anyway and RT will likely get a significant bump in performance with those cards.

I see. I think we disagree on terminology and what handling ray tracing well means. We JUST got to the point where we're able to really play at 4k60~ with the 2080ti. Expecting that level of performance AND real time ray tracing is a but much at this point in time. But overall if you're wanting to make that jump JUST for ray tracing, then that's a bit tougher. As far as the next series of cards, we don't know that. It could be this time next year, which isn't exactly close. But for sure we'll see an upgrade in RT performance. I'm excited about it.

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
60 is def not necessary, though you do begin to feel the latency creeping up.

The bigger issue is the stuttering. You'll see late-game.

This is definitely a game I'll run through a couple times just to experience it differently. I have no doubts that playing this at 60 without RT also be a blast. Right now I'm just having a visual feast. I'll also definitely revisit with an RTX card just to get the full Raytraced experience.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
I'm interested in how you're achieving this as well. Not sure how you're getting a consistent 60 at 4k and 1440 DLSS. Mine is mostly in the 50s even with volumetric lightning turned down to medium and everything else maxed.

2080ti
16gb

My 2080ti has a +180/+500 OC as well.

Native 4k and max settings (no RT) had my fps in the 40s. How are you getting 60?
Yeah I wish I could do max settings. To get 60 I have to turn down a lot of the settings. So I'm doing mostly low to medium with max textures. Paired up with C9 Oled the game still looks really good. The game with DLSS looks good too, but in motion it's not as nice as the real thing. And I had my DLSS at 1080p btw, that's how I could do everything mx, granted I still had drops when in combat. It's why I decided to go with lower settings and native 4k.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Yeah I wish I could do max settings. To get 60 I have to turn down a lot of the settings. So I'm doing mostly low to medium with max textures. Paired up with C9 Oled the game still looks really good. The game with DLSS looks good too, but in motion it's not as nice as the real thing.

Ah that explains it. Might drop a few settings and see how it looks and see if I can't get it up into the 50s and let my gsync monitor do the rest.

I see. I think we disagree on terminology and what handling ray tracing well means. We JUST got to the point where we're able to really play at 4k60~ with the 2080ti. Expecting that level of performance AND real time ray tracing is a but much at this point in time. But overall if you're wanting to make that jump JUST for ray tracing, then that's a bit tougher. As far as the next series of cards, we don't know that. It could be this time next year, which isn't exactly close. But for sure we'll see an upgrade in RT performance. I'm excited about it.

Oh I completely agree. I don't expect to be able to play games at 4k/Ultra/RT/60 and that's why I told him to wait because the real value of the 2080ti (for me anyway) is that 4k/Ultra/60 gaming experience. If you just want it for RT then it's not as attractive, especially at a $1200 price tag.

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
Just to be clear, I'm not the only one that has found indirect diffuse lighting to absolutely destroy the IQ of this game, correct? This weird grainy effect it puts on all the walls and objects and even people looks terrible.

Also, is anybody experience a weird ghosting afterimage of people when the camera shifts angles in conversations with other people?

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Just to be clear, I'm not the only one that has found indirect diffuse lighting to absolutely destroy the IQ of this game, correct? This weird grainy effect it puts on all the walls and objects and even people looks terrible.

Also, is anybody experience a weird ghosting afterimage of people when the camera shifts angles in conversations with other people?

You're not. I turned that RT option off as soon as I saw the effect it had on the main character. It looked absolutely awful.

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan

Nope you are not, I tried to convince myself I was ok with it for a long time.
But yesterday finally turned it off and it looks so much better. The noisy filter like appearance is just annoying.

Looks like the SSAO that was in Kiwami 2.

DeepChord

Jan 21, 2018

yes to both. turned off indirect diffuse lightning as soon as I discovered this was causing it.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
I think this might be the result of the motion blur, the FMV sequences exhibit the same artifacting. I haven't tested this because I'm running with DX12, but I'm wondering if anybody who is using DX11 and done the tweak to remove motion blur can confirm whether or not that removes this weird ghosting in conversations/FMVs

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Seems performance is quite good for me as long as Rtx contact shadows and Rtx debris are off. There seems to be quick hitches when entering what I assume are new areas, but I don't consider that much of an issue. Heavy combat bouts have also been fine

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Heard this is a performance mess on most consoles. I've got a laptop with a GTX 1060, i7-7700hq (2.8Ghz), 16GB RAM, and a SSD. What kind of performance/visuals should I expect at 1080p?

Oct 25, 2017
Heard this is a performance mess on most consoles. I've got a laptop with a GTX 1060, i7-7700hq (2.8Ghz), 16GB RAM, and a SSD. What kind of performance/visuals should I expect at 1080p?
Does a laptop 1060 perform similarly to a desktop one? If so, 1080p30 with a mix of High and Medium settings (High is the highest one) or 720p60 with similar settings.

ZoSo006

Oct 25, 2017
Winnipeg
As much as the raytracing tech looks very pretty and cool, having FPS going frequently between 45-57 while having most settings at medium (and without ray traced reflections even on) isn't really worth it but with a Ryzen 2600x/RTX 2060 pairing, it's certainly to be expected. As I'm getting a smooth 60 fps while playing it on DX11 with all settings maxed at 1080p, I think that's likely the way I'll continue playing.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Does a laptop 1060 perform similarly to a desktop one? If so, 1080p30 with a mix of High and Medium settings (High is the highest one) or 720p60 with similar settings.

Thanks. So playable, but I might want to wait for a sale & pick up it when I have new hardware (new computer or the next gen of consoles) so I can get all the fancy effects + good performance.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
I think using ray tracing, dlss with sharpen filter, 60+fps at 1440p (1080p dlss) is a blessing so to speak.

Professor Pew

Nov 14, 2017
Germany
Ryzen 2700X / 32 GB DDR4-3200 / 2080 Ti
All settings max
3440x1440p (ultrawide)

50-60 fps RTX On
100 fps RTX Off

For some reason it hovered around 40 fps for a while initially with everything + RTX On, then toggling DLSS moved it to 60, and disabling DLSS put it in the 50-60 range.

I've played it on PS4 Pro too, you can comfortably enjoy this game at 30 or sub-30 if you have to. Sure smoother fps is what you play on PC for, but don't let sub-60 keep you from playing a great game :)

Oct 27, 2017
Ryzen 2700X / 32 GB DDR4-3200 / 2080 Ti
All settings max
3440x1440p (ultrawide)

50-60 fps RTX On
100 fps RTX Off

For some reason it hovered around 40 fps for a while initially with everything + RTX On, then toggling DLSS moved it to 60, and disabling DLSS put it in the 50-60 range.

I've played it on PS4 Pro too, you can comfortably enjoy this game at 30 or sub-30 if you have to. Sure smoother fps is what you play on PC for, but don't let sub-60 keep you from playing a great game :)

Pretty much had the same experience using a 2080. I'm now getting 55-to-high 80s FPS with it mostly hovering in the high 60s-to-mid 70s with a native 3440x1440 res (no DLSS), all max regular settings and RTX set to medium.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got to it. Man is it impressive with ray tracing on high. Things just look...right. Up to this point I've been around the mid 70fps range.

32GB 3600 RAM
2080ti
4k + 1080p DLSS
Max settings except Volumetric Fog to medium
Low Latency ON
SSD

Try turning your overclock down if you are running your cards overclocked. I use a lower overclock for all raytraced titles because my daily OC on my 2080ti is stable on anything except raytraced games, I think it has something to do with the rtx cores being used as well.

Tonight I forgot to switch my OC down before playing and I had a ton of stutters, turned it back down and stuttering went away.

Just something else to try, The low latency has gotten rid of all stutters for me (except when I was running my higher OC tonight), Sucks it didn't work for you.

I tried this earlier and it really helped me. Same settings as my post above Dan Longman , and the hitching was gone. Combat was smooth as well. I'm in the Research area where I've got abilities and multiple enemies to fight. I was able to maintain ~60fps the majority of the time.

Last edited:

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Anyone with stuttering have instant replay or whatever it's called on? Yesterday I was monitoring frame times to see if the game is actually smooth and save for a few spikes every couple of mins, it was entirely smooth. But when I wanted to record some footage it started hitching.

Hadoken

Oct 25, 2017
This game shows my overclock wasn't stable at all on my 2080Ti. I had it undervolt and stable w/o RTX at 1.000mV. It kept crashing in this game, had to raise it up to 1.016 or something to get it stable.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
So I decided to test out 4K on this rig, and I'm hooked to my BenQ 32" 4k HDR monitor now. I've set to DLSS 1080p/4K everything else set to max with all RTX enabled.. Locked vsync at 60fps. Looks and plays wonderful!!!

SourKiwi

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 2, 2018
i encountered a really bad bug... i tried constructing the CHARGE weapon and all my resources were drained and did not get the gun. happens also while reloading. I don't know what to do, i'm really pissed

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
I tried this earlier and it really helped me. Same settings as my post above Dan Longman , and the hitching was gone. Combat was smooth as well. I'm in the Research area where I've got abilities and multiple enemies to fight. I was able to maintain ~60fps the majority of the time.

Gonna have to try this and see if it helps me. Thanks for the confirmation.

Buenoblue

Banned
May 5, 2018
2070 super ryzen 2600 pretty happy here. 1440p dlss 960p render. High settings with all rtx on except transparent reflections. Only problem is Nvidia sharpening not working. Says error restart game. Have latest GeForce experience and drivers.

Deleted member 34881

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I get hitches in combat. Like very small but noticible. I tried with dlss and with low latency but it doesnt seem to be fixed. I dont even have Ray Tracing turned on either. Its only in combat though. I have a 2070 Super, and an I7800k with 16gb of ram.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
I get hitches in combat. Like very small but noticible. I tried with dlss and with low latency but it doesnt seem to be fixed. I dont even have Ray Tracing turned on either. Its only in combat though. I have a 2070 Super, and an I7800k with 16gb of ram.

Do you have an OC on that 2070S? If so try turning that off. It helped me quite a bit.

Deleted member 34881

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Huh. Well the OC thing might be on a case by case basis then. It for sure helped me out. Just have to hope Remedy comes with a performance patch here, shortly.
I appreciate the help though. Its not too distracting but its noticible other than that the game runs fine its just once combat starts it stutters a tiny bit but only like once or twice when nothing is even exploding or being thrown. Yeah I hope a patch comes soon. At first I was like wow I just bought this card and this game is destroying it but I guess even better cards too are having a lot on it

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
So lowering my OC back to stock definitely fixed the stuttering issues on dx12 for me. Nothing but silky smooth gameplay on dx12 at 4k/DLSS 1080/RT High (with the exception of diffuse lighting)/Max settings now.

Anddo

Oct 28, 2017
3900x
16gb
1440p

The game was a stuttering mess until I went into Ryzen Master and turned on legacy mode: aka disabled some cores.

I'm now running max settings with RTX+Dllss at 65-75 fps. Odd that I had to disable cores to make the game stable.

I was seeing dips as low as 24 fps, and the game would randomly skip frames, sometimes one second pause. Combat bogged thing's down as well.

No doubt RTX settings have something to do with my issues. If I disable the settings I can play 100+ fps at 1440p.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
i7-6700k, GTX 1080, 16GB RAM

Currently running DX11, 1440p output with 1080p render resolution, High settings except for Volumetric Lighting at Medium. Getting ~70 FPS, but that's very early in the game just running around a non-combat area. Hopefully if (when) it drops below 60 in more demanding scenes, it's not too severe. I have G-Sync to smooth it out regardless.

Just tried the new Nvidia sharpening filter, and it does seem to be a nice improvement over the (very soft) original image.

Last edited:

lorsel

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So lowering my OC back to stock definitely fixed the stuttering issues on dx12 for me. Nothing but silky smooth gameplay on dx12 at 4k/DLSS 1080/RT High (with the exception of diffuse lighting)/Max settings now.

How long did you play? I went back to stock too, but after 1,5 hours i guess the stuttering slowly came back again. I think this game has some kind of memory leak?

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know what to do about performance in this game. I'm playing with a 1080 Ti in 768p and with Vsync on, I still get pushed to 30fps for large portions of gameplay (the whole area near and in the first boss fight was terrible). I'll turn off Vsync and monitor the framerate and it'll be sitting at 80fps or whatever, then I look to the left and catch too many grainy, shiny chairs and boom it's 40fps.

Maybe a lot of it is the stuttering mixed with the motion blur making even relatively stable framerates seem like a mess. Still need to tweak more.

Slackbladder

Nov 24, 2017
Kent
Thinking of getting this. 2080ti, i5 [email protected] 32GB@3200mhz RAM and SSD. So thinking, most RT options at high but res would be 3440x1440. Does this game let you change graphic settings without restarting the game? It's always a bonus when a game lets you do that (like in Shadow of the Tomb Raider).