• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

fluffy pillow

Sep 12, 2018
I'm running at 900p render resolution on a 1080p monitor (after editing the ini). On an RX580 and FX8350 I'm getting 50-72fps with reflections and volumetric lighting turned down one notch and MSAA at 2x. It's very smooth and a great experience.

Riptwo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm running a 3900x/2080/16GB RAM and getting those quick freezes/stutters in DX12 like The Division 2 as well, but was anyone able to solve that with more RAM or something? It almost feels like it's something I/O related.

Oct 27, 2017
How long did you play? I went back to stock too, but after 1,5 hours i guess the stuttering slowly came back again. I think this game has some kind of memory leak?
Yeah this was my sense as well- game would be solid smooth but after 1 hour or so hitching started no matter what settings... might just have to restart the game ever once in a while...

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
How long did you play? I went back to stock too, but after 1,5 hours i guess the stuttering slowly came back again. I think this game has some kind of memory leak?

I played for about an hour, so not a long test. I do believe it has a memory leak as well. It's the only other explanation I can think of for the continuous stutter issues.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what to do about performance in this game. I'm playing with a 1080 Ti in 768p and with Vsync on, I still get pushed to 30fps for large portions of gameplay (the whole area near and in the first boss fight was terrible). I'll turn off Vsync and monitor the framerate and it'll be sitting at 80fps or whatever, then I look to the left and catch too many grainy, shiny chairs and boom it's 40fps.

Maybe a lot of it is the stuttering mixed with the motion blur making even relatively stable framerates seem like a mess. Still need to tweak more.
Everything on max settings? Try lowering only Volumetric Lighting and see if that helps.

Probably still a good idea to play on Borderless instead of Fullscreen. That way you get tripple buffering instead of double buffering even if you keep vsync on, so you'll still have it working as a framerate limiter. A drop from 60 to ~55 for one second will most likely go unnoticed, but not when it goes all the way down to 30 for that one second, which is what it does at fullscreen.

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
I'm running a 3900x/2080/16GB RAM and getting those quick freezes/stutters in DX12 like The Division 2 as well, but was anyone able to solve that with more RAM or something? It almost feels like it's something I/O related.
the two things that got rid of the stutters for me on my 2080ti are turning on low latency mode in Nvidia control panel set it to"on' not ultra and secondly lowering my overclock on your video card so if you have an overclock reduce it and hopefully those will get rid of this

Anddo

Oct 28, 2017

Exact setup, same issues.

I disabled some cores in Ryzen Master and enabled Legacy Mode.. You can try Game Mode for a quick fix.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
I played for about an hour, so not a long test. I do believe it has a memory leak as well. It's the only other explanation I can think of for the continuous stutter issues.

Could be shader compilation stutter. If the game is trying to load shaders that are already cached by your driver, you're fine. If not: stutter. Just a guess.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Could be shader compilation stutter. If the game is trying to load shaders that are already cached by your driver, you're fine. If not: stutter. Just a guess.
Shader caching stutter wouldn't ever be confused with memory leak related stutter, the former would manifest early on and then go away after a while, whereas the latter wold be fine early on and then start happening after awhile

Dan L

Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
Yeah I am pretty sure there are engine issues, even with the fixes I have done to get rid of stutters, (lower GPU OC, and low latency mode) even though they are gone right away like before they would happen as soon as I started. After 1.5-2 hours it starts to have hitches again, not near as office but they happen. Restarting the game gets rid of them. Something is happening, I don't think it's necessarily a memory leak per say as I pay attention to MEM and RAM usage via RTSS onscreen at all times and they don't increase much but it has to be some kind of engine maybe recycling or a stuck thread.

Has anyone seen any word from Remedy about potential patches or any acknowledgement they are aware of issues?

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Can some people test loading times differences between DX11 and DX12?

For some reason DX12 (12 sec) loads more than three times faster than DX11 (44 sec). Can anyone reproduce that? Dying and fast traveling is really annoying, but with DX12 I get some occasional ultra-short but annoying freezes in combat while I maintain perfectly fine 60fps with enough GPU (90% workload) and more than enough CPU (50% workload) overhead.

i5 4690k and GTX 1070 (OC)

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I am pretty sure there are engine issues, even with the fixes I have done to get rid of stutters, (lower GPU OC, and low latency mode) even though they are gone right away like before they would happen as soon as I started. After 1.5-2 hours it starts to have hitches again, not near as office but they happen. Restarting the game gets rid of them. Something is happening, I don't think it's necessarily a memory leak per say as I pay attention to MEM and RAM usage via RTSS onscreen at all times and they don't increase much but it has to be some kind of engine maybe recycling or a stuck thread.

Has anyone seen any word from Remedy about potential patches or any acknowledgement they are aware of issues?
Yeah this is the exact thing I have experienced- annoying but not a deal breaker. Wondering if this happens in dx11?

The game holds the world state in memory- all the destruction generally is retained- perhaps this is a reason..

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
Everything on max settings? Try lowering only Volumetric Lighting and see if that helps.

Probably still a good idea to play on Borderless instead of Fullscreen. That way you get tripple buffering instead of double buffering even if you keep vsync on, so you'll still have it working as a framerate limiter. A drop from 60 to ~55 for one second will most likely go unnoticed, but not when it goes all the way down to 30 for that one second, which is what it does at fullscreen.

Wait, FOR REAL?

I had no idea it behaved like that! (I don't traditionally play AAA games on PC so I'm not usually chasing better performance like this.) That could totally transform my experience. I'll try it right now -- thank you!!

Deleted member 420

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Loaded this game up and had some pretty severe graphical glitches, whole game had these white dots all over it

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Man the game started crashing for me when I switch graphics settings. Don't take the option to turn RT off and on from me man. That's just cruel.

Raspada

Oct 27, 2017
So I finally solved the issue where the game would freeze for a second or so after I unpaused all the time.

Looks like if you turn on vsync on full-screen or run it in borderless mode, it fixes the pause issue for me. I wonder if it's related to my monitor using Gsync...

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
So consensus seems to be DX11 runs better and has less stuttering than DX12? Just loading this up for the first time now. 980ti so raytracing isn't a factor.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
So I finally solved the issue where the game would freeze for a second or so after I unpaused all the time.

Looks like if you turn on vsync on full-screen or run it in borderless mode, it fixes the pause issue for me. I wonder if it's related to my monitor using Gsync...

Interesting, thanks. I have that issue as well. Unfortunately, I wouldn't be willing to give up g-sync in order to avoid it.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Is it at all reasonable to expect 60-90fps at any settings on a GTX 1070? Usually, I prefer 90fps+ for fluidity, but it seems like it might be impossible to achieve.

Deleted member 4970

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmmmm, the low latency modes weren't fixing my stuttering/hitching in combat but not capping the framerate with RTSS has. The game runs between the mid 30-40s range but isn't stuttering or unstable like any other game. Weird.

Oct 27, 2017
Try downclocking further to the spec stock speed. Sometimes, even factory OC aren't 100% stable.

I'm 350MHz underclocked now (to 1500MHz, just under stock for the FE card) and no dice. Now I get the hitches + normal framerate drops from being at max utilization from the underclock lol

Hmmmm, the low latency modes weren't fixing my stuttering/hitching in combat but not capping the framerate with RTSS has. The game runs between the mid 30-40s range but isn't stuttering or unstable like any other game. Weird.

I'll try this later tonight

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
Does this game use a simple form of ray tracing by default even when not activated? Feels like all the reflections have a sort of grain to them even with film grain off that looks like the sort of effect ray tracing tends to have

Oct 27, 2017
Dictator any thoughts on the stuttering issue that occurs after about an hour of play in dx12? Potential that it could be covered in your analysis? Seems to be some kind of memory leak or engine issue.

Either way I'm very much looking forward to your deep dive. Rtx and dlss really stand out in this game, such a shame about the issues with consistency after a long period of play...

EeK9X

Jan 31, 2019
DX11 vs. DX12 issues seem to be more prevalent with this game.

In this thread, there are several instances of people complaining about stutters/hitches on DX12 that are "fixed" after switching to DX11. Conversely, some are claiming that loading times are considerably worse on DX11. Until there's some proper testing, we won't know for sure.

I'd be of great help to have the experts tackle those issues, so we can have confirmation.

Does this game use a simple form of ray tracing by default even when not activated? Feels like all the reflections have a sort of grain to them even with film grain off that looks like the sort of effect ray tracing tends to have

I think that's a bug. Someone else mentioned noticing a "wet" look on some of the textures (both of characters and objects), and that happened to me once. I died a few times during the first boss fight, and in one of those times, the game loaded with many textures looking grainy and sparkly. Then, after I died again and the game reloaded, everything was back to normal.

Dictator any thoughts on the stuttering issue that occurs after about an hour of play in dx12? Potential that it could be covered in your analysis? Seems to be some kind of memory leak or engine issue.

Either way I'm very much looking forward to your deep dive. Rtx and dlss really stand out in this game, such a shame about the issues with consistency after a long period of play...

Alex said that his video will be more focused on RT and DLSS. We can only hope that another video will be coming in the future. I strongly believe that this game entails more discussion about those DX issues, as I mentioned above.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
What is the difference between screen space reflections and global reflections when not using raytracing?

Dan L

Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
What is the difference between screen space reflections and global reflections when not using raytracing?
Along with Screen Space Reflections, Ray-Traced Reflections, and Ray-Traced Transparent Reflections, Global Reflections affects the quality and visibility of Control's many reflections.

In the case of Global Reflections, the reflective specular shine seen on metals and other surface types is affected or entirely disabled, though for it to work Screen Space Reflections must also be on.
Screen Space Reflections Quality (SSR)
Screen Space Reflection techniques attempt to mirror what's currently on-screen on reflective surfaces. In Control, High and Medium detail levels are on offer, along with a toggle that will disable the setting (as already discussed, switching-off SSR also turns off Global Reflections, which requires SSR to function).
So, what's the difference between High and Medium? Quite simply, the fidelity of the reflection. On High, SSR is pushed to the limit, rendering its reflections with excellent clarity and temporal stability (their quality when the player or camera is moving). On Medium, quality is severely reduced, decreasing reflection visibility, accuracy and temporal stability, as demonstrated below.

from https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/guides/control-graphics-and-performance-guide/

Red XIII

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NY
any tips to fix the stutters? 2060s,ssd,16gb and ryzen 2600x i'm playing with RTX on high, 1080p with DLSS

Lockjaw333

Oct 28, 2017
So after fiddling with settings for a while and trying to determine whether RTX is worth it, I've come to the conclusion that it definitely is if you can swing it.

The part where you
first find the red phone
was enough to make me have to have RTX on. If you toggle it on and off at that part, the difference is almost laughable. It completely changes the scene, adds so much.

Decided on:

4k output resolution with 1080p DLSS
Nvidia freestyle sharpen filter 50%

It looks just about as good as 1440p render resolution to me and allows me to keep RTX on.

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
Were the DS4-not-working issues ever sorted in a concrete way? I still can't get it to respond at all to controller input.

You're welcome, I hope it helps!

It really really did! Doing that with Vsync off made a WORLD of a difference. I tweaked a few more things and now it's looking and playing leagues better than yesterday.

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
Ouch, first encounter in a midgame area hard froze my PC. The game seems to get more demanding graphically as it goes on.

Oct 27, 2017
I tried getting rid of the RTSS FPS cap and still hitching. I'm wondering if the area you're in has something to do with it. Like the room just outside of
Dead Letters and the place with the shitload of clocks
seemed like it spiked more often, not even in a firefight just running around I was getting pretty bad hitching.

Anyone else getting the hitching/stuttering problem:
Does your GPU Usage dip when it occurs? Because mine seems to. I'd almost think it's stuttring to stream in assets or something but if that was the case I'd expect to see it more moving between areas. I'm installed on a 7200RPM HDD maybe I'll move it to the NVMe and see if that does anything. Time to see if I can move install folders in EGS lol.

Dan L

Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
any tips to fix the stutters? 2060s,ssd,16gb and ryzen 2600x i'm playing with RTX on high, 1080p with DLSS
the two things that got rid of the stutters for me on my 2080ti are turning on low latency mode in Nvidia control panel set it to"on' not ultra and secondly lowering my overclock on your video card so if you have an overclock reduce it and hopefully those will get rid of this

Though there seems to be underline engine issue in dx12 so after 1.5 hours or so you may start to get hitches again. Restarting game fixes it for me

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany

For some reason DX12 (12 sec) loads more than three times faster than DX11 (44 sec). Can anyone reproduce that? Dying and fast traveling is really annoying, but with DX12 I get some occasional ultra-short but annoying freezes in combat while I maintain perfectly fine 60fps with enough GPU (90% workload) and more than enough CPU (50% workload) overhead.

Yes loading times are atrocious with DX11 for me as well but weird enough i only get the short freezes you speak off in DX11 mode so DX12 is completly fine loads fast and there is no stutter.

System is a 6900k and a 1070 TI

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
Game looks great!

pPRG4li.jpg

92g3emn.jpg

QCQWlYB.jpg

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Has there been an update just now? I noticed that I don't seem to be getting the 1 second stutter anymore when exiting menus.

EDIT:
wtf, after I posted my comment and alt tabbed back into the game, I'm getting the menu stutters again lol.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017

I don't get freezes in combat with DX12 but I do get texture loading issues instead. They never loading fully. My CPU is the same as yours and I have a GTX980.

What is weird about the texture loading issue is that if I pause and then unpause, the textures finally load in fully.

Like you, the loading times are are exponentially shorter with DX12 so I'm willing to make sacrifices. Another thing is DX11 runs way worse for me. Particularly in the mold area.

Edit: I just thought of something... I have my game installed to a SSD. I wonder if that is why I don't get stutters? Do you guys have it installed to SSDs?

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Btw if guys are fine with 30 fps (or 60 if your gpu can handle it) and don't have a gsync/freesync monitor consider using scanline sync in RTSS. I'm playing on high 1440p now at scanline synced 30 fps (sync x/2 -20) in DX12 and the game is extremely smooth (frame times are a completely straight line) without any noticeable input lag it's just fantastic.

There are a few tutorials for it in this thread: https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/requesting-scanline-sync-tutorial.423722/

Last edited:

b0uncyfr0

Apr 2, 2018
Glad others have picked up on what I initially found:

-DX11 has much slower loading times
-DX11 is double buffered , DX12 is triple (You can counter this by running borderless instead of fullscreen) (NV vsync doesn't override except adaptive)
-DX11 doesn't stutter at all, DX12 does (alot)
-If set up correctly, 30 is very playable (albeit with alot of blur) on a decent rig. 50 fps locked is also very good from my side.

Now we just need to ask Dev's why...

Dusker

Jul 6, 2018
To anyone experiencing the DX12 stutter I recommend you to try the following:

1.In Windows Settings search and open Exploit Protection
2.Click On the Program Settings Tab
3.Click On The + Add Programs To Customise
4.Click On Choose Exact File Path
5.Find Control_DX12.exe Click Open
6.Programs Settings For Game Opened ,Scroll Down To Control Flow Guard
7.Put Check Mark In Override System Settings And Turn From On To Off And Apply

After following those instructions my stutter is 100% gone and the game runs flawless, just thought I would share in case it helps others.

Here's the source where I found it: Possible Solution For DX12 Stutter

NudelRick

Aug 29, 2019
I think I solved these!!

Looks like with the last 2 nvidia drivers when they added the low latency mode setting something got broke with DX12 and the game setting the number of prerendered frames, they rolled the old "max prerendered frames" setting into the Low latency setting in nvidia control panel. now there are no option to directly set this number. But there are three settings for low latency, off (default) app sets number of frames but this appears to be broken and it's not happening with control (and other DX12 games I have seen) if you turn this setting to on, it sets max prerendered frames to 1 and this fixed the hitches for me, just played 45 mins and running around and in heavy combat no stutters/hitches. Give it a try and let me know if it helps you both!

Don't use ultra low latency (third option) as this doesn't queue at all and pushes frame out just in time and will negatively impact smoothness for the sake of latency.,

jMv8ea9.png

Low latency settings have no effect in DX12.

www.nvidia.com

Gamescom Game Ready Driver Improves Performance By Up To 23%, And Brings New Ultra-Low Latency, Integer Scaling and Image Sharpening Features

Apex Legends, Battlefield V, Forza Horizon 4, Strange Brigade and World War Z now run even faster, retro and pixel games look better with Integer Scaling, modern games look sharper with NVIDIA Freestyle, and input responsiveness can be improved with our new low latency modes.