• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

driveninhifi

Jun 7, 2018
Trench says that Ahti is a senile norse god in one of his ramblings. Of course, we don't know if we can trust Trench's ramblings but it would make sense.

the board seems to be some collection of entities that have decided to guide the director of the bureau. Former is an entity that got kicked off the board.

I took Hedron to just be an antenna for the Polaris entity. I'm not sure what it was that Jesse and Dylan found originally. It seems like it wasn't Hedron since Jesse acted like she hadn't seen it before. She just recognized the "signal"

Do they ever explain where/how the bureau found the service weapon?

Deleted member 32679

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Jesse's director suit looks like it has Black Rock woven into the fabric. I did not see the power plant thermal readings but that's cool that Northmoor is there. I assumed that's where we'd find Dylan instead.

In Amber Clad

static and disarray
Aug 26, 2018
London
Trench says that Ahti is a senile norse god in one of his ramblings. Of course, we don't know if we can trust Trench's ramblings but it would make sense.

the board seems to be some collection of entities that have decided to guide the director of the bureau. Former is an entity that got kicked off the board.

I took Hedron to just be an antenna for the Polaris entity. I'm not sure what it was that Jesse and Dylan found originally. It seems like it wasn't Hedron since Jesse acted like she hadn't seen it before. She just recognized the "signal"

Do they ever explain where/how the bureau found the service weapon?

To be clear, Trench said "old god" though you could argue that's just hinting at norse god by nodding to the Remedyverse band Old Gods of Asgard.

As for the weapon, there's a document that suggests it could have been other mythological weapons, such as Mjolnir or Excalibur. I think that document said they just found it in the Oldest House, waiting for them, but my memory is a little hazy after 250-odd documents :|

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
If you replace those numbers with the letters that occur at that place in the alphabet you get ASGARDIS
asgard is the diamond, hmm. a diamond is just two TRIANGLES/PYRAMIDS on top of each other. hmm.

About the second question, I think it's not really something that needs to be explained, it's just the game taking advantage of what it is and going all in. In a way, you could say the fourth wall is never broken, but it constantly feels that way. I like when the boards say the story will continue in the future/expansions.
also if we're talking multiple dimensions, it makes sense one of them is ours, the player's, dimension.

driveninhifi

Jun 7, 2018
To be clear, Trench said "old god" though you could argue that's just hinting at norse god by nodding to the Remedyverse band Old Gods of Asgard.

As for the weapon, there's a document that suggests it could have been other mythological weapons, such as Mjolnir or Excalibur. I think that document said they just found it in the Oldest House, waiting for them, but my memory is a little hazy after 250-odd documents :|

That's what I was wondering. The Bureau already existed when they found the Oldest House. How did Northmoor become Director?

Mini-Me

Oct 25, 2017
I love, love, love that Alan Wake and this are in the same universe and that there are numerous direct references to a ton of Alan Wake things. I was already happy when I saw them referencing Bright Falls, but figured that was it. Those later documents that directly discuss Alan Wake and the events that happened there, even Thomas Zane is mentioned. So good.

OP
OP
kami_sama

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
I love, love, love that Alan Wake and this are in the same universe and that there are numerous direct references to a ton of Alan Wake things. I was already happy when I saw them referencing Bright Falls, but figured that was it. Those later documents that directly discuss Alan Wake and the events that happened there, even Thomas Zane is mentioned. So good.
Night Springs is also referenced! In central executive there's an npc that mentions it.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Another thing that I wanted to mention, a lot of people talking about the maze as a great mission, and indeed it was fantastic, but I also absolutely loved the mirror quest, where you fight esseJ. Best fight in the game.

Mini-Me

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the entire mirror quest is just tremendous. There are so many great details in it, like the way the camera moves through the mirror, that the whole area is mirrored, the backwards talking on the tapes. What a good game.

I also really hope that Remedy's next game is set in this same universe (ideally Alan Wake 2 obviously).

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Yeah the entire mirror quest is just tremendous. There are so many great details in it, like the way the camera moves through the mirror, that the whole area is mirrored, the backwards talking on the tapes. What a good game.

I also really hope that Remedy's next game is set in this same universe (ideally Alan Wake 2 obviously).

As long as we get Control 2 with Jesse, I don't mind an Alan Wake 2 in the middle.

In Amber Clad

static and disarray
Aug 26, 2018
London
That's what I was wondering. The Bureau already existed when they found the Oldest House. How did Northmoor become Director?

I imagine the Bureau was more of a normal (well, you know, relatively) organisation before they found the Oldest House. I don't think we know how long Northmoor served, do we? Could be he was the first Director appointed by the Board/Service Weapon? Maybe there was somewhere before him, even, given they found the house in the... fifties? Sixties? I've forgotten now.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
The FBC existed for a while, even under other names maybe. There is a document that talks about the increased speed in which information can be shared... refering to the telegraph.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Agreed. Also, the outfit in the Mirror mission is top tier.

It probably the most "out there" costume of them all. Really cool. Although I can't help but use the director suit now. I just too classy. Even with the pyramid the wrong way!

has to be said that jesse is a fucking great female protagonist and the game treats her very well throughout.

She's great. I liked how she "talked" with us and let her know what she was thinking. Some of the dialogues were more interesting because of that.

Mini-Me

Oct 25, 2017
As long as we get Control 2 with Jesse, I don't mind an Alan Wake 2 in the middle.
I would play another 20 hour long Control game right now. Control 2 or Alan Wake 2, both would be wonderful to get.

Jesse was great too, the use of internal monologue via close ups was so well done. It's such a nice way to learn more about a character in a natural way, I hope more games do similar things.

Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)
She's great. I liked how she "talked" with us and let her know what she was thinking. Some of the dialogues were more interesting because of that.

This was the first game I played where you could hear the protagonist think whilst she was having a conversation.

The story in this game was really solid. Just when it started to meander a bit it got right on track and delivered a satisfying end.

There are still some things left open to interpretion that I want to be explained. Does the Board consist of interdimensional beings lime the Former or is it something different? Is Ahti an old Norse god or is he an embodiment of the Oldest House? Also what happened to Darling?

Deleted member 32679

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
This was the first game I played where you could hear the protagonist think whilst she was having a conversation.

The story in this game was really solid. Just when it started to meander a bit it got right on track and delivered a satisfying end.

There are still some things left open to interpretion that I want to be explained. Does the Board consist of interdimensional beings lime the Former or is it something different? Is Ahti an old Norse god or is he an embodiment of the Oldest House? Also what happened to Darling?
Emily believes he ascended into a different dimension by way of Hedron.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Let's just remember Darling the way he always wanted us to. Singing Jesse is Dynamite.

I wonder what the odds are that we'll get a DLC like Burial At Sea, with Alan Wake appearing in it

We have two confirmed DLCs coming, who knows? If game game does very well, maybe we might even get some more. I think this game really feels a new door for Remedy, and I hope they go all in.

In Amber Clad

static and disarray
Aug 26, 2018
London
An Alan Wake crossover has the potential to be deeply confusing, with Matthew Porretta voicing both Wake and Darling.

We'll all be like
32088_124310727584087_124309504250876_320070_6945733_n_original.jpg

Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)
An Alan Wake crossover has the potential to be deeply confusing, with Matthew Porretta voicing both Wake and Darling.

We'll all be like
32088_124310727584087_124309504250876_320070_6945733_n_original.jpg

This was my first Remedy game. I saw the Alan Wake easter eggs and I really want the game to come to the PS4 with enhanced visuals and performance. Otherwise I have to play it on PC which I'm currently unable to do most of the time. :(

In Amber Clad

static and disarray
Aug 26, 2018
London
I hope Alan Wake gets another lease of life. It deserves so much more than it got.

And a sequel, obvs.

And a Control sequel.

And then MS can pony up the money for a Quantum Break sequel.

Basically, sequels to all the things, please.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
aaaand the Eternal Fire mod drop bugs out on me because of the weapon mod capacity bug. 20/24 is apparently "full" from the game's perspective so no Eternal Fire for me unless I wipe my save and start the game all over again.

Sorel

Oct 27, 2017
I imagine the Bureau was more of a normal (well, you know, relatively) organisation before they found the Oldest House. I don't think we know how long Northmoor served, do we? Could be he was the first Director appointed by the Board/Service Weapon? Maybe there was somewhere before him, even, given they found the house in the... fifties? Sixties? I've forgotten now.

In the board room, there's a wall with lots of paintings, the last painting hanged on the wall is a painting of Trench. There's a lot more painting. it makes me wonder when is control taking place. I feel like it might be the future, there's also the cloth style that I feel do a little futuristic and the fact that modern technology is forbidden is a convenient way to hide the real level of technologies of society.

In Amber Clad

static and disarray
Aug 26, 2018
London
In the board room, there's a wall with lots of paintings, the last painting hanged on the wall is a painting of Trench. There's a lot more painting. it makes me wonder when is control taking place. I feel like it might be the future, there's also the cloth style that I feel do a little futuristic and the fact that modern technology is forbidden is a convenient way to hide the real level of technologies of society.

It should be October 2019 - there's a document detailing Jesse's movements and she arrives in New York in October 19, IIRC.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil

The game is set in 2019. There is a document in the room (or close to) where you discover Jesse in the P7 that mentions she going to the Oldest House in this year.

Deleted member 36037

Banned
Dec 12, 2017
For those who don't know, P# is also how Remedy name's their projects. Control is P7, and I believe Quantum Break was P6.

So, P6 was a candidate they had a lot of faith and put and a bunch of resources into but didn't really pay off how they were hoping, so they moved on (like Quantum Break) while P7 is the candidate that was successful as their future director (like they hope Control will lead Remedy's new future direction). I think that's the analogy they are making here
This is a really interesting take. I wonder if this analogy and meta-commentary can be expanded upon to say something more about Remedys past and future? For instance does Quantum Break's limited future prospects mean that it's unlikely that Dylan will ever wake up from his coma? If the hiss was an analogy for external forces corrupting the bureau/studio, does that mean the hiss won't be back? If the bureau is the studio, what does mold represent? Can the all-knowing god Ahti taking a vacation mean that Sam Lake will be doing something in another universe next? Is the Pony/Sony cassette player showing the way through the maze another hint at their long rumored future partnership?

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Before playing the game I had anticipated one or two sly nods towards Alan Wake or Max Payne.

After playing the game I'm absolutely convinced that this is the same world as Alan Wake. Like it's not just some cute nods, they literally referenced the events and characters and objects from Alan Wake by their full name.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017

When Dylan "saw" Polaris he/the Hiss called her a "Copy of a copy of copy..."

So I think Hedron is the main body, while Polaris is a copy of Hedron that was implanted into Jesse.

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017
Before playing the game I had anticipated one or two sly nods towards Alan Wake or Max Payne.

After playing the game I'm absolutely convinced that this is the same world as Alan Wake. Like it's not just some cute nods, they literally referenced the events and characters and objects from Alan Wake by their full name.

Oh yeah there are reports directly referencing the events in Alan Wake.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
That's a great take. I hope Control delivers just as Jesse did as the new director.

I really hope so too. They built an incredible world with this entry, and I hope they can keep exploring this property

This is a really interesting take. I wonder if this analogy and meta-commentary can be expanded upon to say something more about Remedys past and future? For instance does Quantum Break's limited future prospects mean that it's unlikely that Dylan will ever wake up from his coma? If the hiss was an analogy for external forces corrupting the bureau/studio, does that mean the hiss won't be back? If the bureau is the studio, what does mold represent? Can the all-knowing god Ahti taking a vacation mean that Sam Lake will be doing something in another universe next? Is the Pony/Sony cassette player showing the way through the maze another hint at their long rumored future partnership?

wow, and here I thought I had gone deep haha

But yeah, these are all great possible analogies too. I would love to see them commenting on if their personal experiences shaped the story in this way.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
Just completed it. Got some questions though.

Trench was the one who activated the projector and let the hiss in? He did it to gain Control if I got it right.
Heldron or Polaris was saving Jesse from the corruption of the hiss right? After Heldron was dead she was taken over by the hiss. For a short while at least, she was not accepting her fate though. So Polaris was still in her mind. Why was Polaris held captive?
What are the hiss though? Was that ever really explained?
I know that Dylan and Jesse were test subjects, but why was Dylan affected by the hiss? Because he did not have Polaris?
Who is Ahti exactly?

Miracle Ache

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at the Old Gods of Asgard album art from Alan Wake and I see a familiar shape. Coincidence? probably.

Danteyke223

Banned
Oct 24, 2018
Just completed it. Got some questions though.

Trench was the one who activated the projector and let the hiss in? He did it to gain Control if I got it right.
Heldron or Polaris was saving Jesse from the corruption of the hiss right? After Heldron was dead she was taken over by the hiss. For a short while at least, she was not accepting her fate though. So Polaris was still in her mind. Why was Polaris held captive?
What are the hiss though? Was that ever really explained?
I know that Dylan and Jesse were test subjects, but why was Dylan affected by the hiss? Because he did not have Polaris?
Who is Ahti exactly?
Dylan rejected Polaris. In one of the documents that is transcribed he shouts at the wall saying and screaming to leave him alone and to go back to Jesse.

Polaris was held captive cause Darling realized it might be a good weapon / defense with the whole resonance thing.

Ahti might be the personification of the house

Danteyke223

Banned
Oct 24, 2018
Also no Trench activated the slide cause he was amazed at what they found. He wanted the FBC to get tech and allies plus to understand the world better as he felt they were woefully unprepared for actual threats. He didnt feel the AWE or the weird itens were enough prep for the government. Thats why he tried to train Dylan, cause when Northmoor went ballistic and became a human power plant Trench was getting paranoid that there would be no one left to run FBC after himself.

Which he felt would result in the world collapsing

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Also hearing about all the shit that went down in Ordinary - it honestly sounds way more horrifying than anything we saw in the game. So that might also explain why she's less affected by all of this.
I was so mad they didn't really show or delve or do a flashback into the Ordinary stuff. Feels like things just went completely insane near the end.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Now that Remedy wholly owns Alan Wake it would be my dream for them to update it (maybe add in some of that sexy Northlight tech) and maybe even add in some Control Easter eggs, and for 505 to release it on next-gen. And then, some time in the next 17 years, both a Control 2 and Alan Wake 2.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
Dylan rejected Polaris. In one of the documents that is transcribed he shouts at the wall saying and screaming to leave him alone and to go back to Jesse.

Polaris was held captive cause Darling realized it might be a good weapon / defense with the whole resonance thing.

Ahti might be the personification of the house
Oh I see thanks, thanks for the explaination.
I am pretty much done now, got even the Gold suit and killed Tomassi the 2nd time.
I am looking forward to the DLC, I am curious how they will expand the story.

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
Just got the platinum and really enjoyed my time with the game.

I'll agree with those saying the brother stuff is kinda weak. He just shows up at the halfway mark, says some stuff about his dreams, and then doesn't really do anything for the rest of the game. I totally thought it was going to be some gambit where he'd break out and destroy our little base of operations.

I liked that they had him bring up them being a single person "Jesse Dylan Faden" just so you could know that they weren't going down that road. It would have been dumb. And Jesse talking about "something missing" in the psychiatrist tape, I took to mean Polaris. I think she mentions how after the Ordinary incident, she doesn't hear from Polaris again until it tells her to go to the Oldest House.

The maze section was incredible. The replica of Ordinary was great.

Agreed. Also, the outfit in the Mirror mission is top tier.
Yuuuuuup. I had her rocking that the whole game.