• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Oh I see so he thought Polaris or Hedron was the threat. Seems The Hiss were playing him really good in thinking they had good intentions for the beginning. But I remember that Trench got more and mire crazy, hence the reason he killed him self, because the hiss found him unworthy in the long run. I hope we will see Darling again too.

This was revealed when during the Office Nightmare sequence if you let Trench mumble to himself at the second attempt he rants about how everyone has betrayed him by siding with Hedron (and using the HRAs) and how bringing in the Hiss is the only solution.

This puts a spin on all those documents we found about Trench becoming more irritated and all the hotline calls of him being more paranoid.

I don't think it was outright stated how Trench was killed, but I suspected it's because the Service Weapon, and the Board, finally deemed him unworthy or compromised and had him 'fired'.

OP
OP
kami_sama

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Second Tom fight got much easier after I started using the shield properly. Was better after that. But also the bugs in the game stopped me being able to upgrade the pierce gun, and that's super effective against that boss, so that sucked too
Oh yeah, also happened to me, but I still used it, it's the best weapon for flying enemies.
But it sucked I couldn't upgrade it D:

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
Oh yeah, also happened to me, but I still used it, it's the best weapon for flying enemies.
But it sucked I couldn't upgrade it D:

Yeah no doubt, and I still used it as well. The only really annoying thing was the teleporting enemy that comes in, but second gun was on shatter, and I could upgrade that fully, so combined with shield, could take him down good enough.

OP
OP
kami_sama

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah no doubt, and I still used it as well. The only really annoying thing was the teleporting enemy that comes in, but second gun was on shatter, and I could upgrade that fully, so combined with shield, could take him down good enough.
What I do for that enemy is take an object with launch and wait for it. Then throw it to it's head lol

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
This was revealed when during the Office Nightmare sequence if you let Trench mumble to himself at the second attempt he rants about how everyone has betrayed him by siding with Hedron (and using the HRAs) and how bringing in the Hiss is the only solution.

This puts a spin on all those documents we found about Trench becoming more irritated and all the hotline calls of him being more paranoid.

I don't think it was outright stated how Trench was killed, but I suspected it's because the Service Weapon, and the Board, finally deemed him unworthy or compromised and had him 'fired'.
Maybe I should rewatch the Office Nightmare sequence. But that is really interesting.

I have noticed that as well. In the beginning of the game, his hotline calls were pretty normal, the further you got, the more disillusioned the hotline calls got.

That was my interpretation as well.

Are The Hiss and the Board related or is the Board the good here? It is really hard to make out who is clearly the bad and the good.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Are The Hiss and the Board related or is the Board the good here? It is really hard to make out who is clearly the bad and the good.

The Hiss are objectively the bad guys.

The Board can be considered the good guys by default since they're helping you, but I wouldn't trust them too much.

Polaris and Ahti are probably the only unquestionably good guys.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin

The Board can be considered the good guys by default since they're helping you, but I wouldn't trust them too much.

That makes sense.

Yeah, as we know, like we have seen with Trench, he was "fired" by them, because he was not anymore up to the task for them, so not useful anymore.
As Jesse is director now, she has to watch out, not to see the same fate as Trench.
It was funny how the Board teased, that we will see them again in the expansion. That was pretty funny.

I figured as much, Ahti helped Jesse from the beginning so was Polaris, helping her defend of The Hiss and taking over her mind.

Jan 10, 2018
I saw the Janitor as the physical manifestation of Polaris but maybe I am way off haha

I believe that is correct. He is a creation of Polaris, used to maintain influence and order in The Oldest House. This is why he has access to so many secret areas, including The Oceanview Motel, The Maze and the underground foundation of the entire building. He refers to Jesse as his assistant (host for Polaris) in the opening hour, as well as create a pathway for her through the lockdown. The pathway opens up where his painting is hanging in the entrance hall, which I think is a detail most players missed.

I guess there is also the possibility that he is a separate entity from Polaris, which can be indictaed by his separate room (dimensional gateway) in the Oceanview Motel. Maybe he is the embidoiment of The Oldest House and Polaris is just a guest there. In any case they both seem dedicated to bringing order and care for the well being of the FBC.

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
I'm watching someone play through Control and picking up on little things now that I have more context. A fun little thing was the tape next to the furnace, where there is a tape where a researcher talks about the furnace talking. The way she's speaking is like media typically portrays crazy people, but in reality, yeah that furnace probably talks.

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
I'm watching someone play through Control and picking up on little things now that I have more context. A fun little thing was the tape next to the furnace, where there is a tape where a researcher talks about the furnace talking. The way she's speaking is like media typically portrays crazy people, but in reality, yeah that furnace probably talks.
i guess it's lonely being stuck inside a furnace.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
was extra creepy that she suggested finding "volunteers".

to feed. the furnace.

isn't this a restricted area!?
how the fuck did he get in here??

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018

Yep, i dont trust the board either.

For al lwe know, it could still be possible that the Hiss are actually the good guys, Trench was right and we/Jesse are being played.
We know too little about any real long-term plans of any of the important entities. I actually really liked that.

Sure, the Hiss possess people and make them go after you, but i dont think either the Hiss nor the Board can be judged by what you could call ethical standarts.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I recognised Dylan as soon as I saw his face, but I couldn't put my finger on where I knew him from until I saw his actor's name in the credits. He's Sean Durrie, the original Jack Joyce from the first Quantum Break trailer, before they replaced him with Shawn Ashmore:

TUFCfan

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't realise until now after visiting the quarry to finish up some countermeasures is that the hiss also fight against those moving balls of energy,

Is there any significance to the large map of the USA in logistics? Maybe I missed a note but there are some locations with green lights, most with red. Is that just regional bureau offices or something?

nel e nel

Oct 27, 2017
Yea. The white board definitely adds a little more context to what's happening and what the outcome would be.

I think the Former is a 3rd actor to the Hiss and Board, given the Former's environment was the typical Astral Plane black/grey and not Hiss red.

I assume Former is very similar to The Board, actually.

The Former used to be a part of the Board, the Board mentions this in one of the hotline calls.

asgard is the diamond, hmm. a diamond is just two TRIANGLES/PYRAMIDS on top of each other. hmm.

also if we're talking multiple dimensions, it makes sense one of them is ours, the player's, dimension.

I think you could also make the argument that we - the players - are actually playing Polaris who is controlling Jesse. It would line up with all of her internal monologues about "you" helping me, and the video game references from the Board.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There is a strange visual effect around Hiss medic sphere when you "befriend" one.

Look closely at Jesse and her "reflect", it seems that I switch between "Jesse the original" and "Jesse the copy" 🧐🤔

Last edited:

nel e nel

Oct 27, 2017
aaaand the Eternal Fire mod drop bugs out on me because of the weapon mod capacity bug. 20/24 is apparently "full" from the game's perspective so no Eternal Fire for me unless I wipe my save and start the game all over again.

You know you can deconstruct mods right? I don't think I ever kept more than 10 in my inventory.

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why it wouldn't have worked, but the first time I seized one of the balls and it started healing me it blew my mind. Like of course that's how it works, but I hadn't thought about it.

nel e nel

Oct 27, 2017

I wonder about the objectivity of this. One thing Langston mentions is checking out the Post Office for jobs, but their benefits aren't as good. The Board also makes a reference to staying with them because they have good benefits. Made me think they are a "race" of entities, and different groups control different government institutions to protect us from existential threats. The Board is just the lesser of evils.

Am I crazy for thinking we, the player, are Polaris/Hedron in some respect? Someone or something called Polaris is who was speaking to Jesse (and I guess also Dylan) the majority of the game, right up until Hedron collapses, and then via the ending with the Oceanview Jesse "meets" Polaris Jesse and effectively becomes whole. Polaris is referred to as just a catalyst. Rather than Polaris and Hedron being specifically different beings, I kind of felt like they were the same entity just given different names and though Polaris speaks to and guides Jesse, Polaris was just the catalyst for us, the player, to actually literally guide Jesse through the game. So then when Polaris is gone and Jesse takes full control as the director, there's no more voice because it's just us and Jesse, doing what we want. I mean the game is called Control. Feel free to poke holes in this if there are any, it just made a kind of sense to me. That's not even accounting for how the Board constantly breaks the fourth wall and talks directly to the player (sometimes talking to the player and Jesse simultaneously).

Not at all:

I think you could also make the argument that we - the players - are actually playing Polaris who is controlling Jesse. It would line up with all of her internal monologues about "you" helping me, and the video game references from the Board.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
The Former used to be a part of the Board, the Board mentions this in one of the hotline calls.

When I started the game, and Jesse refered to Polaris, at that time I did not know there was this entity with her, but I thought she was refering to me the player.
Polaris in this case is the player as you already stated, that is pretty cool to implement.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I wonder about the objectivity of this. One thing Langston mentions is checking out the Post Office for jobs, but their benefits aren't as good. The Board also makes a reference to staying with them because they have good benefits. Made me think they are a "race" of entities, and different groups control different government institutions to protect us from existential threats. The Board is just the lesser of evils.

What I meant is that the Board is "good" only in the sense that their interest lies in keeping us around, like you said they definitely have no problem twisting our arms to their ways.

I would say the Hiss are objectively bad because the game gave us no reason to doubt that belief. They clearly want us to see them as a force of evil. Unlike say the Bureau where they have no problem showing them as a "necessary evil" with good intentions but questionable methods.

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017
Hold on to your asses, throwing a wild one out there:

Ok so, Ahti IS Former and he was a board member. The Board either don't know that Former took the form of Ahti or they can't do anything to him. And the last DLC will be about banishing either Ahti or The Board from The Oldest House. There is no way Ahti is a benevolent senile God just chilling around.

Last edited:

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like the jukebox is going to be used to hoarde wave mode style fights in the future? Always thought that thing looked suspicious af but not used at all during the campaign.

Blitzrules240

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
I really hope we find out the fate of Dr. Casper Darling.

I was honestly expecting him to be a hiss corrupted boss fight but nope.

Also surprised but pleasantly surprised there wasn't a huge boss fight for the final missions. Just basic Hiss management.

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
I fell through the floor every single time I fought Former. Even the two times I beat him, I fell through the floor and died as he was dying. Luckily it counted as "winning" both times.

Also going to find Marshall (and maybe Darling?) in the DLC will make up for never getting to go find Oda in Evil Within 2.

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think Polaris as the player holds up. Maybe if this was their first encounter, but we know that Polaris showed up during the Ordinary Incident. It also doesn't account for Dylan, who Polaris also visited but we have no interaction with. I think Jesse talking to "you" is just a fun story telling device meant to throw the player in the early game.

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
Ok so, Ahti IS Former and he was a board member.

I don't think so. I think Ahti has been in the Oldest House long before the Board used it to enter our reality.

Plus, Ahti can literally hear Jesse's thoughts. An antagonistic force like Former would certainly use that against Jesse I would think.

I really hope we find out the fate of Dr. Casper Darling.

My theory is that he jumped into Hedron and became a sort of resonance. I think that would explain his appearance in Jesse's mind as an inspirational music video for Jesse.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
Weird since it's like nearly impossible NOT to hit the core, when it opens up when it's about to chuck a bunch of clocks at you simply throw an object at it. The game controls basically ensure you hit the core as long as you aim at it when you launch the object. And visually it's VERY apparent when you hit the core.
No I get you're supposed to hit the core when it's exposed. You just have to wait until it opens up on the platform you're on. Someone posted that you can still hit it if you stay on the first platform. Which I can't really see how that is even possible since it shields itself on the sides depending where it opens up.

I upgraded my flight duration and power so it might be easier now.

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
No I get you're supposed to hit the core when it's exposed. You just have to wait until it opens up on the platform you're on. Someone posted that you can still hit it if you stay on the first platform. Which I can't really see how that is even possible since it shields itself on the sides depending where it opens up.

I upgraded my flight duration and power so it might be easier now.
I've done it. You just have to be near the corner closest to where it opens up.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
You know you can deconstruct mods right? I don't think I ever kept more than 10 in my inventory.
What does that have to do with a bug affecting the game? If I want to have 20 and my max capacity is 24, the game should function like it knows I have 4 slots available like every other game in existence manages to do. Not cause other players to question why someone might want to carry more than you. Right?

The game gives you 24 weapon slots to in theory carry up to 24 items. Space was made to accommodate more drops. The game's bugs failed to count and items were lost because of it. Whether I decide to carry 2 extra items or 22, the game should be expected to perform basic arithmetic, and how many items I ultimately decide to carry isn't your concern as long as it is below the maximum amount. Right?

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
There is no way Ahti is a benevolent senile God just chilling around.
Why not? He's the janitor, in a cosmic sense. He was here before us to clean up paranatural messes and he'll be here after we're gone to do the same. I really don't think it's supposed to be more complicated than that.

Besides, he's kind of an enigmatic Tom Bombadil type of character. We more than likely aren't supposed to get real specifics on him because it's intentionally kind of vague.

nel e nel

Oct 27, 2017
What does that have to do with a bug affecting the game? If I want to have 20 and my max capacity is 24, the game should function like it knows I have 4 slots available like every other game in existence manages to do. Not cause other players to question why someone might want to carry more than you. Right?

The game gives you 24 weapon slots to in theory carry up to 24 items. Space was made to accommodate more drops. The game's bugs failed to count and items were lost because of it. Whether I decide to carry 2 extra items or 22, the game should be expected to perform basic arithmetic, and how many items I ultimately decide to carry isn't your concern as long as it is below the maximum amount. Right?

It has everything to do with that bug since that is the workaround to said bug.

Yes , it should work as intended, but it doesn't right now. I offered a simple solution to the problem since you keep on complaining about it.

GangWarily

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the game last night. Was slightly let down by the last couple combat encounters but really enjoyed it overall.

I keep seeing references to "Control Ending Explained" articles that Trench kept a burnt slide after Jesse burnt them all...and that he used the burnt slide with the Slide Projector OOP to open the portal to let the Hiss in. How does that work!?

OP
OP
kami_sama

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Finished the game last night. Was slightly let down by the last couple combat encounters but really enjoyed it overall.

I keep seeing references to "Control Ending Explained" articles that Trench kept a burnt slide after Jesse burnt them all...and that he used the burnt slide with the Slide Projector OOP to open the portal to let the Hiss in. How does that work!?
So both the Hiss and Hedron/Polaris come from Slide #36. It goes to the desert are you can see in dimensional research, with the five pillars.
Jesse burned all but that one, and when he went inside to investigate, he got infected with the Hiss. Took a while to overwhelm him, and when it did, he made more and more hiss come to infect everyone.

lojo

Oct 27, 2017
When I was trying to figure out the puzzle in Luck and Probability, in one of the my failed spins the phone in the room started ringing, but I didn't get to it in time. Anyone knows what happens if you answer the phone?

Deleted member 36037

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 12, 2017
When I was trying to figure out the puzzle in Luck and Probability, in one of the my failed spins the phone in the room started ringing, but I didn't get to it in time. Anyone knows what happens if you answer the phone?
I also failed answering the call. Could unfortunately not find anything when I searched for it on youtube either.

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017

I don't think it is actually answerable. Every time you do the puzzle wrong, something random happens. The phone ringing is one of them.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Something occurred to me yesterday- could the name Control also be a play on the fact that Jesse is the "control experiment" (monitored, but left alone) versus Dylan who was kidnapped and experimented on by the Bureau?