• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

lojo

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it is actually answerable. Every time you do the puzzle wrong, something random happens. The phone ringing is one of them.

Yeah I saw that other stuff too, but the phone gets highlighted like other interactive objects in the game and unlike the other random stuff that happens I couldn't get the phone to ring again.

You're probably right about it not being answerable, though.

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
wHaT iF i DoNt WaNt ThE bIg ChAiR..!?
EVERYONE WANTS THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!!!

my god, threshold kids is amazing.

Steak

Oct 27, 2017

One of my favourite things about Ahti is that in your first meeting with him he responds to Jesse's thoughts.

I mean, also he's got a music player with a song that's basically Jesse's life story up to that point.

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
Finished the game last night. Was slightly let down by the last couple combat encounters but really enjoyed it overall.

I keep seeing references to "Control Ending Explained" articles that Trench kept a burnt slide after Jesse burnt them all...and that he used the burnt slide with the Slide Projector OOP to open the portal to let the Hiss in. How does that work!?
I think this comes from the same convo that Trench refers to Ahti as a senile god. When you're at the point where you're delivering mail, the second time he rambles for a looooooong time and part of that is when he talks about there being a burnt slide. At least I'm pretty sure that's where it comes from. But I'm actually not sure how much of that stuff you can trust, like is it real or is it just lies the Hiss made up for Jesse's vision.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
Hey folks, does anyone know if the Kojima narrated side quest is PS4 only? I'm playing on XB1 and am at the spot but I can't interact with the tape recorder

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it is. If you were on PC, there's an easy way to get the ps4 exclusives, but I am afraid you cannot do that.

Damn, that sucks. Guess I'll just watch these on YouTube then.

Thanks!
Where do you find that? First I've heard of this.

It's in the research division on an area called Extrasensory lab. Fast travel to Parapsychology then go backwards down the room and take the door on the left

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
Posting my post and question from the OT since I didn't realize there was a spoiler thread for the game:

Finished the game, all I'll say is that I feel like it ended kind of abruptly without enough elaboration into things I was most curious about.

Can anyone tell me if there's any documents or analysis explaining what's up with Ahti? He was my favorite character, but I feel like he's left as kind of a mystery unless I'm just totally blind to the cryptic storytelling. Some things were a bit obtuse and hard to follow near the end.

Overall it was fantastic though, the maze was easily the highlight of the game.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Posting my post and question from the OT since I didn't realize there was a spoiler thread for the game:
Yeah, you're not supposed to know what's up with Ahti. If you return to th Janitor's Room Post-Game, Jesse comments on weird he was and that he seemingly had a bigger role in this than she can appreciate.

Question! Can you re-enter the Nostalgia Department after the last fight? If so, does anyone remember where it is? I remember running past it and even dying running into the red light before, but I can't for the life of me remember where it was.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Yeah, you're not supposed to know what's up with Ahti. If you return to th Janitor's Room Post-Game, Jesse comments on weird he was and that he seemingly had a bigger role in this than she can appreciate.

Question! Can you re-enter the Nostalgia Department after the last fight? If so, does anyone remember where it is? I remember running past it and even dying running into the red light before, but I can't for the life of me remember where it was.

The portal was outside the Central Executive on your way from your hub to the Dead Letters.

And unfortunately there's nothing there now.

EDIT:

Btw, anyone realize that Darling called us from beyond the stars to tell us to go to his office.... But we never did go to his office during that whole sequence??

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
To reiterate from the main thread, I was really disappointed in the story in this game. You can throw all the weird shit and mysteries at me all you want, but if I don't care about the characters than I don't care about any of that. Jesse is just a poor protagonist due to all the baggage she comes into the game with and keeps from the player. We needed a fish out of water character, not someone who just shrugs at all the weird shit constantly happening.

On a separate note, I caught most of the references to Max Payne and Alan Wake, but is there anything related to Quantum Break? Is QB apart of the same world as all the rest?

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
To reiterate from the main thread, I was really disappointed in the story in this game. You can throw all the weird shit and mysteries at me all you want, but if I don't care about the characters than I don't care about any of that. Jesse is just a poor protagonist due to all the baggage she comes into the game with and keeps from the player. We needed a fish out of water character, not someone who just shrugs at all the weird shit constantly happening.

On a separate note, I caught most of the references to Max Payne and Alan Wake, but is there anything related to Quantum Break? Is QB apart of the same world as all the rest?

I liked Jesse exactly because of that. The fact that she felt at home in the Oldest House was what made her cool.

Dec 23, 2018
Ahti is.

But seriously he's probably a god or something similar to it. Ahti in our world is a Finnish folkloric hero whose root might also stem from a Finnish god named Ahto. At the Foundation area we can see that the FBC had set up a monitoring area just before Ahti's self made control point and right next to that control point you'll see a runic symbol like a tree. The board describe the area as the root from which the Old House sprung.

The song that plays from Ahti's walkman is called "Take Control" which is obviously relates to the game. Its sung by a fictitious band named Old Gods of Asgard. Now Ahti is a Finn and not really norse but still it might be a clue even if he doesn't fall under that particular pantheon. The tango that is associated to Ahti actually probably describes Jessi more than anything

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
When you talk to Dylan, in one of his dreams he describes meeting a person who shifts between worlds, a person named "Mr. Door"... reminds me of someone.

"I have a plan. It's already in motion. But it would be futile to try to explain it to you, like trying to explain three dimensions to someone who can only see one. But make no mistake; I do not look down on you. I strive for humility even as I shift this world from one state to another. I will make this possible. I stand in between. I don't see myself as a gate. I remain humble. I'm something smaller. A hatch."

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I kept assuming the game was a a big meta experience with The Board being the game developers, The Director being the Player who literally directs every scene, and the Astral Plane simply being other fictional worlds.

Marengo

Oct 28, 2017
I kept assuming the game was a a big meta experience with The Board being the game developers, The Director being the Player who literally directs every scene, and the Astral Plane simply being other fictional worlds.

I got this impression too, but I figured Polaris as the player. How does the Hiss fit in? The volatile VG market? Lol.

NegroNinja

Oct 27, 2017
What exactly was Polaris? I'm still confused on that. Is it some type of entity that helped her gained her powers?

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
is it possible to get to the 6th floor in the panopticon? There were invisible walls in the elevator shaft?

also, someone spoil me on the vhs kids origins?

AWizardDidIt

Oct 28, 2017
What exactly was Polaris? I'm still confused on that. Is it some type of entity that helped her gained her powers?

Polaris is a resonant life form that Jesse met in the Ordinary incident that bonded to her. Its doesnt give her much power by itself other than to guide her, but it did make her much more attuned to using objects of power and its remarked by some npcs that Jesse's use of them is far beyond other paranauts.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Finding out Northmoor is the person inside the NSC was definitely one of the darker moments in the lore.

c58481d5-6ddb-4450-9992kqd.png

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
Somehow I totally missed the Northmoor NSC thing. I was rushing a bit at the end because it was like 1 AM and I really had to go to bed.

Relatedly, I don't really understand what was going on with Hedron and the red laser beams at the end, and what caused Hedron to "die." That section was a tough fight and my tired brain zeroed in on completing the objective and mostly ignored the context.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Polaris is kinda the player too imo, we're basically from other dimension helping Jesse.

Love Dylan's dreams too particularly the one he's in the videogame and he's saying what we're seeing on screen.

I really liked the fact that a lot of things aren't fully explained and a lot of our theories actually fits in perfectly

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Sorely missing an unlockable Threshold Kids Meg outfit

They should have a whole DLC that takes place inside a Threshold Kids episode. You play as a muppet Jesse. Kind of like that puppet episode of Angel.

I hope the DLC ties into Alan Wake. A rescue mission or something.

The game tied into Alan Wake A LOT. It sounds like he's gone completely insane at this point.

Polaris is kinda the player too imo, we're basically from other dimension helping Jesse.

Love Dylan's dreams too particularly the one he's in the videogame and he's saying what we're seeing on screen.

I really liked the fact that a lot of things aren't fully explained and a lot of our theories actually fits in perfectly

It felt like when Jesse was addressing Polaris she was addressing me from the start.

AWizardDidIt

Oct 28, 2017
I dont know about anyone else but I was getting major Thumper vibes from the last story sequence in the game. The psychadelic atmosphere with a solely percussion soundscape seemed almost directly inspired by it. Really loved that segment.

Jan 10, 2018
Somehow I totally missed the Northmoor NSC thing. I was rushing a bit at the end because it was like 1 AM and I really had to go to bed.

Relatedly, I don't really understand what was going on with Hedron and the red laser beams at the end, and what caused Hedron to "die." That section was a tough fight and my tired brain zeroed in on completing the objective and mostly ignored the context.

The Hiss tried to use the lasers to cut open the container for Hedron, which they succeeded at. This caused Hedron to look for a new conduit for its power, which ended up being Jesse. For a brief moment Jesse was left without the protection of Hedron and the Hiss slipped into her mind. She then took back control of herself when Hedron entered her body.

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished it. I didn't read everything, nor did I full grasp everything that was going on, so I'm definitely going to catch up on this thread.

My initial read on the scene with Jesse looking like she killed Trench near the end with the whole worm through time line was some sort of time shenanigans with the service weapon, but it looks like it was just a weird take on that whole scene.

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished it. I didn't read everything, nor did I full grasp everything that was going on, so I'm definitely going to catch up on this thread.

My initial read on the scene with Jesse looking like she killed Trench near the end with the whole worm through time line was some sort of time shenanigans with the service weapon, but it looks like it was just a weird take on that whole scene.
I don't think there was any time stuff going on. Her shooting Trench in that scene was her fully breaking the hold the Hiss had on her mind and a symbolic representation of her accepting her role as the Director.

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
Thanks for the plot information, Tekku.

Okay, so my idea for Remedy's next game: Alan Wake 2, done as a Control crossover. Wake emerges from his nightmare and finds himself in the employ of Jesse Faden and the FBC.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think there was any time stuff going on. Her shooting Trench in that scene was her fully breaking the hold the Hiss had on her mind and a symbolic representation of her accepting her role as the Director.

Yea, that thought didn't get far in my mind. But in that moment, and lead up to the end where my understanding of Jesse and Polaris' relationship wasn't fully formed yet, that's sort of what went through my head. Still not sure what the worm out of time line means precisely.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I accidentally stumbled upon the "Northmoor Sarcophagus Container" revelation after wandering around in the post story thinking that we never found out what NSC stands for.

I must have missed out and overlooked something- Was it ever mentioned what happened to Northmoor? I only remember Trench monologue about the moment leading to him picking up the gun and not what Northmoor did that made him this way.

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017
I accidentally stumbled upon the "Northmoor Sarcophagus Container" revelation after wandering around in the post story thinking that we never found out what NSC stands for.

I must have missed out and overlooked something- Was it ever mentioned what happened to Northmoor? I only remember Trench monologue about the moment leading to him picking up the gun and not what Northmoor did that made him this way.

There are hints from Trench. He talks about how Northmoor was interested in power, how it is the Director's job to keep the lights on. Stuff like that.

Blue Ninja

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Alan wake and Control are definitely set in the same universe. There's hints troughout the game, with the events in Bright Falls being named as an example of an AWE the bureau contains.

The best one, though, is near the end of the game. You receive a cassette player with a song on it: Old Gods of Asgard singing about the events of the game.

Hell, AW's AN, the Old Gods mention "it will happen again in a town called Ordinary". The moment Jesse revealed that's where she came from, it was confirmed for me.

QB is more difficult, since it deals with the literal end of time. I haven't found any reference to it.

DocSeuss

Oct 25, 2017
Ahti is.

But seriously he's probably a god or something similar to it. Ahti in our world is a Finnish folkloric hero whose root might also stem from a Finnish god named Ahto. At the Foundation area we can see that the FBC had set up a monitoring area just before Ahti's self made control point and right next to that control point you'll see a runic symbol like a tree. The board describe the area as the root from which the Old House sprung.

The song that plays from Ahti's walkman is called "Take Control" which is obviously relates to the game. Its sung by a fictitious band named Old Gods of Asgard. Now Ahti is a Finn and not really norse but still it might be a clue even if he doesn't fall under that particular pantheon. The tango that is associated to Ahti actually probably describes Jessi more than anything

The Old Gods of Asgard are, of course, Tor and Odin Anderson, the heavy metal rockers from Alan Wake. Odin is missing an eye, Tor has a rubber hammer. They are very old by the time you meet them in the game, and senile, but when you go to their farm, their song Children of the Elder God plays, including lines like "memory and thought" (odin's ravens, huginn and munnin). They also wrote the song about Tom the Diver, The Poet and the Muse, which no one in Alan Wake's reality knows, because Tom no longer exists (except that he does), which is corroborated in Control. It details Tom, how he brought back his wife from the dead, etc. Every song they sing (also Balance Slays the Demon) in Remedy games displays uncanny knowledge of the world, and both brothers are clearly coded as those old gods.

The game tied into Alan Wake A LOT. It sounds like he's gone completely insane at this point.

What makes you think that's Alan?

Last edited: