• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Patison

Oct 27, 2017
Control IS Alan Wake 2 and it's the best kind of a stealth sequel. It goes beyond subtle nods actually expanding the lore and moving story forward. I love it.

Remembrance

Oct 25, 2017
There was a real Super Mario 64 moment for me when they started talking about being able to walk into worlds inside paintings during one of Jesse's therapy tapes. I was really hoping for a moment like that.

My hope for a sequel is that you will need to actually use the projector and explore worlds inside the slides. Get some of that SCP exploration log flavor in there!

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
There was a real Super Mario 64 moment for me when they started talking about being able to walk into worlds inside paintings during one of Jesse's therapy tapes. I was really hoping for a moment like that.

My hope for a sequel is that you will need to actually use the projector and explore worlds inside the slides. Get some of that SCP exploration log flavor in there!

This is such a good idea. I was disappointed that we didn't end up going to the place where all that red sand came from.

And a game built around that can very much keep its Metroidvania flavor. Think Metroid Prime 3 with dimensions instead of planets. Moreover, you can go really crazy with the environments.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
I'm wondering if they could pull off their next game being a sequel to both games featuring both Jesse and Wake in it.

I think that's the obvious way to go here, yeah. Have Jesse help Alan getting out of the cabin, with Alan helping out Jesse by using his powers to save Dylan and confront whatever new threat they come up with - probably something with the board, right? You NEED to go back to Bright Falls for a chapter, though. Gimme all of those Twin Peaks vibes. Then get back to the brutalist nightmare that is Control. Maybe transport parts of Bright Falls into The Oldest House with random OOP hijinks?

Call it Alan Wake: Out of Control and make Sam Lake a billionaire. Alright, the last part is probably not going to happen. Still do all of this, though.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Control IS Alan Wake 2 and it's the best kind of a stealth sequel. It goes beyond subtle nods actually expanding the lore and moving story forward. I love it.

Exactly how I feel. Forced attempts to create a coherent universe of IPs in a retrospective manner always strike me as contrived and unnecessary. Control manages to sensibly extrapolate on Alan Wake's mysteries by giving them just the right amount of exposition for reason but enough wiggle room in the logic to retain their allure, and wrap it in the framework of a new story with a new cast that is subversively a successor. The Alan Wake stuff isn't just a wink and nod, it's right there in front of you and brings it together.

This is such a good idea. I was disappointed that we didn't end up going to the place where all that red sand came from.

This is where I can't help but feel Remedy ran out of time and had to bring together the very final stretch of their game quicker than intended. I could be wrong of course, and it still has its moment, but I feel it builds up climaxes it never really capitalises on. You never explore the projector. You don't actively breach the red area, instead watch a cutscene of Jessie entering. The climax is full of good stuff (the dream sequence is cool, it's all visually splendorous, and there's fun narrative beats like the Board permitting supercharged power), but compared to how seamless so much of the game is the end just kinda felt like it was rushing to finish.

Remembrance

Oct 25, 2017
This is where I can't help but feel Remedy ran out of time and had to bring together the very final stretch of their game quicker than intended. I could be wrong of course, and it still has its moment, but I feel it builds up climaxes it never really capitalises on. You never explore the projector. You don't actively breach the red area, instead watch a cutscene of Jessie entering. The climax is full of good stuff (the dream sequence is cool, it's all visually splendorous, and there's fun narrative beats like the Board permitting supercharged power), but compared to how seamless so much of the game is the end just kinda felt like it was rushing to finish.

And Dimensional Research really has the feel of being a boss arena, doesn't it? The entire setup for placing and containing the projector seems intended to be used in some kind of boss puzzle, but that never goes anywhere. This is not the kind of game to leave a whole set of openable/closable shutters lying around for no purpose.

Mar 29, 2018
And Dimensional Research really has the feel of being a boss arena, doesn't it? The entire setup for placing and containing the projector seems intended to be used in some kind of boss puzzle, but that never goes anywhere. This is not the kind of game to leave a whole set of openable/closable shutters lying around for no purpose.

I'm pretty sure Dimensional Research is there largely for DLC purposes. I.e. DLC might be based around finding new slide projectors and riding them into new planes/realities.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Remedy's always been good at nodding at their other games without it feeling forced. Alan Wake kind of had a stealth finale for the Max Payne character in Wake's novels, only they obviously couldn't use the name, but it felt like Remedy saying "this is how we would've ended it if we made MP3." The way Control loops in Alan Wake is brilliant, and I'm glad it wasn't spoiled for me.

I do wish there was more exploration of other types of environments. The game has so much potential to let you go anywhere, but there's not that much. Even the quarry didn't feel like a super interesting threshold. The motel was what I hoped would be the start of increasingly outlandish expeditions, but instead you just revisit the motel a bunch, which I found kind of tedious. The Ashtray Maze was cool. I hope the DLC goes further in these directions, similar to how all bets were off in the Alan Wake DLCs.

Wintermute

Oct 27, 2017

im sorry but i do not want to meet the all mother nope nope no.

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
Going back to the motel over and over just to do slightly different things was a low point of the game for me.

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
Anyone know how you get into the archives part of the map in the Panopticon? Searching for info about this game is a pain the ass because the name is a generic verb.

Okapi

May 31, 2019
Anyone know how you get into the archives part of the map in the Panopticon? Searching for info about this game is a pain the ass because the name is a generic verb.
It's on the 2nd or 3rd floor, just float down from the 4th and you'll get there!

On an unrelated note: I love how they handled post-game here. There's a story-related reason to keep going afterwards and little things like naming Emily Head of Research really makes you feel like you're not done in this world.

Last edited:

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
It's on the 2nd or 3rd floor, just float down from the 4th and you'll get there!

Oh, I thought it was up there on the top floor with the P6 Cell because it looks like it's the same color as that level. I hate the map in this game. It's made things harder for me on at least a half dozen occasions now.

Civilstrife

Oct 27, 2017
Going back to the motel over and over just to do slightly different things was a low point of the game for me.

I actually loved the motel. Provided a nice (though still creepy) reprieve from the bureau setting. I was hoping we'd get to explore a little bit outside or around the motel though.

Really, that's the only the only thing I really wished for this game that didn't pan out.

I was looking for that "holy shit!" moment of stepping through into another, more organic world via the slide projector or some other means.

Oct 25, 2017
Ashtray Maze was amazingly good. So good in fact I thought the actual end of the game was super lackluster by comparison. I LOVED all the Alan Wake references. Gimme that sequel damn it.

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I wouldn't mind if a piece of DLC was a rescue mission to get Alan Wake out of wherever he is now.

I mean, if remedy isn't thinking of doing anything with the IP, it would be nice to at least get closure.

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
Finished it and thought it was okay. When it ended I just felt kind of cheated. You never get clear clarification on much. And jessie becomes the new boss but once again how can she just gain that position at the begining of the game and never really explains. She's worthy I guess? I dunno I feel like the game is trying to be cryptic but comes off as more confusing. Also that ending was incredibly underwhelming.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
So for the DLC we have:
Foundation
An AWE

Presumably the first will concern Marshall and/or Ahti, who are both known to disappear off to that neck of the woods (or very near by).

For the AWE one, presumably we'll be visiting that sector that is mentioned but we never see. Hopefully there'll be some Ocean View Motel shenanigans too.

And jessie becomes the new boss but once again how can she just gain that position at the begining of the game and never really explains. She's worthy I guess?
After picking up the service weapon there's a test, and if you fail it then you die. If you survive, congrats, you're the director. Like an Excalibur deal. I thought that was explained pretty clearly.

I wouldn't mind if a piece of DLC was a rescue mission to get Alan Wake out of wherever he is now.

I mean, if remedy isn't thinking of doing anything with the IP, it would be nice to at least get closure.
Surely they'll do a Remaster? There are a heap of Playstation owners who never had a chance to play the games, and most of the heavy lifting is already done.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Finished it and thought it was okay. When it ended I just felt kind of cheated. You never get clear clarification on much. And jessie becomes the new boss but once again how can she just gain that position at the begining of the game and never really explains. She's worthy I guess? I dunno I feel like the game is trying to be cryptic but comes off as more confusing. Also that ending was incredibly underwhelming.
i kind of feel like there are multiple documents/videos that spell out becoming the director pretty clearly. Every astral plane tutorial section is binding yourself to an object of power. With the service weapon in particular, binding to it makes you the director.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
So the "Not-Mother" is absolutely Shub-Niggurath right?

The game literally bangs you over the head repeatedly that the Director is whoever survives the selection process of the Service Weapon.

Throughout the game Jesse expressed disinterest and rejects the idea of holding to that position.

The ending is her accepting her role as the Director and as the only one who can do that job.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Going back to the Ashtray Maze the first time after the fact and thinking it allows you to repeat it for a moment is the worst feeling lol. Just finished the story on my second playthrough, onto the Platinum. Already wish I could do a third run-through while keeping my save. What even is this game lol, I'm never like this.

Deleted member 203

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not a low point for me per se, but it is indicative of the most disappointing aspect of the game: so many missed opportunities. The setting affords Remedy so much freedom to go buckwild with the environments, but instead it really never happens until the Ashtray Maze, and even that was like, kind of mild. I wanted and expected much more of that type of stuff throughout the entire game. For a game that flirts so much with the bizarre and the uncanny, it's remarkably straight-laced. Some shifting geometry here and there, a mirror world, a quarry... where's the truly bizarre shit? The unexpected changes in setting? I missed that.

I really like the game, but I can't help but feel they underutilized the setting's potential in a major way.

Tennis

Oct 27, 2017
I finished the game on base PS4 and after the patch the performance was solid enough.

For the story, I guess it was ok but the atmosphere was top notch.

Fun fact for Alan Wake fans, the song that plays when the janitor is near starts with the translated line "Once I mistook a lake for an ocean" ... so take it as you will.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think I've ever been excited for a DLC roadmap for a AAA game as much as this. The AWE one goes into the Investigations Sector like I'd hoped, and got damn at that Alan Wake image tease.

What if Remedy's next game is a sequel to both this and Alan Wake? In Board-speak: Control/Alan Wake 2

The game literally bangs you over the head repeatedly that the Director is whoever survives the selection process of the Service Weapon.

Throughout the game Jesse expressed disinterest and rejects the idea of holding to that position.

The ending is her accepting her role as the Director and as the only one who can do that job.
Not to mention she was a prime candidate before even setting foot in the Bureau.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Thinking back on the game more, one thing that really sticks out for me is the crazy letter from the guy who believed that air travel was really faked with underground tunnels because real airplanes were actually monsters that are constantly flying around up in the sky, and we only think that airplanes look as they do because they were designed to look like the monsters to make everyone not panic.

Like, imagine that reality.

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
Yet another bug. Can't complete the old mold growth side quest because mold type b won't let me pick it up. I'm so tired of this shit

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Thinking back on the game more, one thing that really sticks out for me is the crazy letter from the guy who believed that air travel was really faked with underground tunnels because real airplanes were actually monsters that are constantly flying around up in the sky, and we only think that airplanes look as they do because they were designed to look like the monsters to make everyone not panic.

Like, imagine that reality.
Definitely -- I loved those letters!

Dream_Journey

Oct 25, 2017
It's not a low point for me per se, but it is indicative of the most disappointing aspect of the game: so many missed opportunities. The setting affords Remedy so much freedom to go buckwild with the environments, but instead it really never happens until the Ashtray Maze, and even that was like, kind of mild. I wanted and expected much more of that type of stuff throughout the entire game. For a game that flirts so much with the bizarre and the uncanny, it's remarkably straight-laced. Some shifting geometry here and there, a mirror world, a quarry... where's the truly bizarre shit? The unexpected changes in setting? I missed that.

I really like the game, but I can't help but feel they underutilized the setting's potential in a major way.

100% agree, there are lot of missed opportunities , i hope at least dlc's will fix that. Ashtray Maze was so fun with great music but it felt too short, i wanted more. :(

But damn, those amazing Alan Wake stuff, i cried especially in here, even there was music from Alan Wake while he is talking! I think i will replay Alan Wake, didn't played since 3-4 years.

http:///CVDd.png

Coffee Thermos was briliant too!

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a list of Akan wake stuff in the game? I missed that video of him holy crap
Edit: went back a few pages and see

Last edited:

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
How will they handle Darling and Wake being the same actor? :)
Some things are just inexplicable!

tumblr_px687puXWn1y9urzoo1_400.gif

DrScissorsMD

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 19, 2019
How will they handle Darling and Wake being the same actor? :)
Wait ... what if, going off the "Control is just something Alan wrote to help him escape" theory, Darling is literally just Alan/the writer in this universe? He's literally the one who explains most of the concepts to you via the videos. Him (Darling) disappearing was him "finishing" the story enough that you'll be able to get to a point where you help him (AW) escape.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It's interesting that a lot of the documents on Alan Wake were found in the Prime Candidate Program. Were the FBC planning on recruiting him as director if/when they ever found him?

Deleted member 203

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's interesting that a lot of the documents on Alan Wake were found in the Prime Candidate Program. Were the FBC planning on recruiting him as director if/when they ever found him?
Doesn't one of the documents say they considered him a prime candidate for a while? At least his stuff being found there indicates as much, at any rate. I think he was considered a potential for a new director.

Wait ... what if, going off the "Control is just something Alan wrote to help him escape" theory, Darling is literally just Alan/the writer in this universe? He's literally the one who explains most of the concepts to you via the videos. Him (Darling) disappearing was him "finishing" the story enough that you'll be able to get to a point where you help him (AW) escape.

I don't think this theory will bear out. Would kind of cheapen Control, I feel. I think Jesse will just end up visiting the Bright Falls Threshold (the lake?) and try to help him escape.