• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
Just to get this straight....

I started playing the game on Gamepass (XSX) a few days ago.
On Tuesday nothing will happen to me? And even if I bought the Ultimate Edition my save wouldn't transfer?

Thats fucking dumb they lost a sale right there. If I have to start over I anyways I'll do that on PS5 then for free.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Raytracing quite a bit paired back from the PC release but that's to be expected. I wonder which console game attempts raytraced global illumination if ever.

I think if we see that it'll be a PS5 exclusive built solely around it and heavily optimised, possibly while being a bit simpler in other areas to compensate.

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
720p30fps with RT not possible on the Xbox Series S?

🤔

They probably asked themselves "How low do we want to go?" and said "Nope, that resolution wouldn't be ok for us."

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
Not a fan of the Dual Sense, but I'll have to play it on my PS5 because the Ultimate edition isn't on Gamepass.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
Sounds like the next gen version doesn't support most of the raytracing effects of the PC like raytraced lighting, shadows, etc. There are 5 raytracing effects on the PC version as described in this article:

www.nvidia.com

Control: Multiple Stunning Ray-Traced Effects Raise The Bar For Game Graphics

Remedy and 505 Games’ new third-person action game takes realism, image quality and immersion to new heights with ray-traced reflections, shadows and lighting. Learn more.

And it sounds like only 2 of them are available on the PS5/XSX version with this patch. Resolution barely being over 1080p and at just 30fps us a huge bummer.

This patch sounds very disappointing. Barely an upgrade at all. :(

GhostofWar

Apr 5, 2019
Raytracing quite a bit paired back from the PC release but that's to be expected. I wonder which console game attempts raytraced global illumination if ever.

I do wish the resolution was a bit higher unless their upscale is as good as Insomniac or other 1st party games, which I don't expect.
I think if we see that it'll be a PS5 exclusive built solely around it and heavily optimised, possibly while being a bit simpler in other areas to compensate.

Metro exodus has a ps5/xsx update in the works where they said it will have RT. RTGI is the only RT Exodus uses so maybe expect it in that.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
Are there some good videos showing the RT difference in the game? I remember seeing some DF video about it, and no matter how much they were excited about the RT, it didn't really look all that different to me. Definitely didn't seem worth halving the framerate at least, especially since 30FPS in this game feels pretty bad, even when it's holding a steady 30FPS.
What I mean by that, is that camera acceleration and type of motion blur they use make the framerate feel worse than it could be, if they handled this kind of thing better, like the Spiderman or TLOU2 do for example. There I would simply forget that the game is running at 30FPS as soon as I'd start playing. In Control I was constantly being reminded that something is off.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Metro exodus has a ps5/xsx update in the works where they said it will have RT. RTGI is the only RT Exodus uses so maybe expect it in that.

Good move on their part. That sounds likely then, unless they decided to add new RT effects to the game. Imagine if they did that, then added those effects to the PC version and updated the DLSS to 2.1.

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
I kinda think that Miles Morales 60fps/RT mode is giving people false hopes for what other games are gonna do. It had to make sacrifices beyond just lowering the resolution. They massively reduced the pedestrian density and RT shadows. Not every game has things like pedestrians that they can easily cut down to get performance back. What you gonna cut in Control? Desks?

They've presumably pushed the RT mode as far as they can. Simply lowering the resolution by another 200p would not double the frame rate you'd imagine.

They didn't massively reduce pedestrian density. That's just not true. I'm guessing you didn't play the game on that mode

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
They didn't massively reduce pedestrian density. That's just not true. I'm guessing you didn't play the game on that mode
I think they only reduced the amount of pedestrians visible in the RT reflection, based on if they are farther in the distance. And they also didn't reduce the RT shadows, because the game never had RT shadows. They did however remove shadows from the RT reflections, so in that sense they did remove RT shadows I guess :) It's an important distinction because they removed something that really wasn't all that visible in the first place.

Considering that 30 fps is already at 1220p a 60 one would drop the resolution into 880p range, below that of XSS. Doubt that anyone would be happy to play the game on new consoles like this.
I would be happy to try it in that res (1080p TV here, which I'm sure a ton of people still have). If they use a high quality upscaling, it wouldn't look bad. UE4 games running at 900p with its temporal upscaling look pretty good. The only question to me is whether the RT effects in this game are worth any tradeoff. They were worth it in Spiderman, but that's a game where there are mirror surfaces everywhere.

Last edited:

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll take the 30fps with Ray Tracing. Spider-Man Miles Morales really got me excited about Ray Tracing on consoles. I hope we see more of it.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Sounds like the next gen version doesn't support most of the raytracing effects of the PC like raytraced lighting, shadows, etc. There are 5 raytracing effects on the PC version as described in this article:

www.nvidia.com

Control: Multiple Stunning Ray-Traced Effects Raise The Bar For Game Graphics

Remedy and 505 Games’ new third-person action game takes realism, image quality and immersion to new heights with ray-traced reflections, shadows and lighting. Learn more.

And it sounds like only 2 of them are available on the PS5/XSX version with this patch. Resolution barely being over 1080p and at just 30fps us a huge bummer.

This patch sounds very disappointing. Barely an upgrade at all. :(

I fully agree and I am very surprised RTX 2060 SUPER manages to get all maxed out settings + all RT effects in 1440p running at 30 FPS without DLSS.
I really hope further work will be done in the future to get more optimisations and allow similar results at least, but I doubt.

Oct 25, 2017
Norman, OK
Weird that there's no Native 4K/30 mode with no raytracing and reduced stuff. Maybe the 60 fps mode is good enough that it wouldn't make such a difference like in Demons Souls

Native 4K on the PC even without RT is very demanding. Can't quite remember on the old 2080ti I played it on, but it seems like it wouldn't maintain a solid 30 without dips below at native 4k. Maybe I'm misremembering, as I opted for DLSS very quickly. Very demanding game, though.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
This game was killer. Can't believe it ran on last gen at all haha.

Highly recommend it to anyone even remotely on the fence!

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah this is why I'm so surprised. I expected a lot more from Remedy.

Tbh they said a small team focusing on this. So it seems they didn't have enough manpower to achieve what they did on a full scale game with this port. I still hope the game will get future updates to increase stuff though. I tweeted them. i hope they will treat us.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Are there some good videos showing the RT difference in the game? I remember seeing some DF video about it, and no matter how much they were excited about the RT, it didn't really look all that different to me. Definitely didn't seem worth halving the framerate at least, especially since 30FPS in this game feels pretty bad, even when it's holding a steady 30FPS.
What I mean by that, is that camera acceleration and type of motion blur they use make the framerate feel worse than it could be, if they handled this kind of thing better, like the Spiderman or TLOU2 do for example. There I would simply forget that the game is running at 30FPS as soon as I'd start playing. In Control I was constantly being reminded that something is off.

There's a massive difference with full effects on. If anything it's too much because all the floors look like they're polished 24/7 with how reflective they are.

Volkama

Oct 30, 2017
Are there some good videos showing the RT difference in the game? I remember seeing some DF video about it, and no matter how much they were excited about the RT, it didn't really look all that different to me.
You can probably find a video of raytracing on a PC, but apparently on consoles there will be a simpler implementation. Remedy has only shown this short video so far.

Joe White

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
I fully agree and I am very surprised RTX 2060 SUPER manages to get all maxed out settings + all RT effects in 1440p running at 30 FPS without DLSS.
I really hope further work will be done in the future to get more optimisations and allow similar results at least, but I doubt.

Nvidia cards have easier time with Control than their AMD counterparts
lIv32cp.png

www.eurogamer.net

AMD RX 6800 and 6800 XT review: ray-tracing performance

Digital Foundry review the AMD RX 6800 and 6800 XT, the first two Big Navi cards to arrive. Game benchmarks, Smart Acce…

So I'm not surprised with these results, as Control is demanding game (well those RTX 2060 SUPER results seems little off).

Last edited:

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
Native 4K on the PC even without RT is very demanding. Can't quite remember on the old 2080ti I played it on, but it seems like it wouldn't maintain a solid 30 without dips below at native 4k. Maybe I'm misremembering, as I opted for DLSS very quickly. Very demanding game, though.
Yeah incredibly demanding. I think I played at 1080p on my 2080Ti so I could max out RT, because it looked amazing and back then I didn't like the DLSS artifacts.

Now that it has DLSS 2.0 I'd certainly use that.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
Never played this so I'm excited for the PS5 version on plus. Graphical updates seem fine but I'm more excited for dualsense and card features. Hope they're implemented well.

The game runs in 1440P in both modes, ''1220'' number was a typo.

Thomas Puha

Head of Comms at Remedy Entertainment
Verified
Jan 15, 2018
Espoo, Finland

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
I also feel like Remedy games tend to have hardware requirements that are difficult to justify when seeing what's actually being output on screen. Quantum Break also had pretty terrible performance and super high system requirements.

Don't get me wrong, their games are BEAUTIFUL. But we've seen games like Gears 5 Hivebusters, Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Demon's Souls, etc.. all looking just as, if not more beautiful, at higher framerates and higher resolutions.

Oh well. Still can't wait to play this on Series X.
Unfair comparison though, as all those are first party.

Nov 2, 2017
An average of 29.5 fps is really not anywhere close to locked 30fps most likely. In fact it's probably well below what you'd need for locked 30fps. There are places where my 3060Ti drops down to 42 fps at 1080p with all RT settings & no DLSS, but my average framerate is probably above 60fps.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
Literally a typo, thats on me. Its 1440p in both modes.

Performance Mode
·Targets 60fps performance with 1440p render resolution and 4K output
Graphics Mode
·Targets 30fps performance with ray tracing (transparency and reflections) at 1440p render resolution and 4K output
Uzupedro, threadmark this OP!

EDIT: On a side-note, ya'll should update the game to somehow read older save files. We know it's possible.

DuvalDevil

Nov 18, 2020
Bought Control UE in the last sale and still wait for the patch to drop. I am super excited to finally play it and see those shiny next-gen graphics. Not gonna lie, little bit disappointed with those resolution numbers. I expected at least 1440p in the RT mode.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
There's a massive difference with full effects on. If anything it's too much because all the floors look like they're polished 24/7 with how reflective they are.
I've rewatched Alex's video on DF, and I think the most obvious difference are the vertical glass surfaces which look kind of grayed out when RT is off, and transparent and reflective when it's on. Floors already have some kind of SSR and cone traced reflections, but the vertical glass has none with RT off. Since they clearly had to pick and choose what to implement here, they really chose well to implement opacity and reflections, because other effects are not as in-your-face obvious.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
So the devs cant get old gen games to run at 4K60FPS on next gen hardware with RT?

So the true next gen games wont be able to run at 4060FPS even without RT?

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
So the devs cant get old gen games to run at 4K60FPS on next gen hardware with RT?

You don't seem to realise how demanding RT actually is... It's a miracle we have it at all on consoles.

I'm sure devs will figure things out as the gen progresses. RE:Village was 4K/60 (probably reconstructed 4K, but really well done) with RT reflections. But Control is doing more with its RT-implementation.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Remedy games almost always have advanced rendering techniques but the image quality is usually lacking. Alan Wake's volumetric lighting and fog to this day still look crazy on PC. Both Control and Quantum Break have grainy looking IQ and pretty severe colour banding issues.

If anything Control was a "next gen" game forced to run on old gen. The physics and ray tracing is beyond pretty much anything else I've seen.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't sound as good as I had hoped. Just graphically wise, I would probably be served better by playing it on Geforce Now.

Those triggers in a shooter though...

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
So ray tracing eats more or less 30fps since both modes are rendered at 1440p. Did Remedy ever used some "upscaling" method (outside DLSS) like temporal injection, checkerboard and etc?