• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
It's a tech that's been around for more than 2 decades (!!). It immensely improves video games so much for me, and I never realized it until today.

I've been trying to get vibration working on my controller for Warframe PC version, but to no avail. Without vibration, I don't feel any impact at all on the shootings. It feels so bland and dull. KB+mouse users keep championing the accuracy of a mouse for shooter games, but I can't relate to that notion at all. Without vibration, even shooting enemies at their face doesn't feel satisfying at all. I need real life feedback from the guns, and controller vibration is the only way to deliver it. I've tried everything and it still won't work on Warframe, and it's killing the game for me.

How about you, Era? Would you be able to enjoy games without vibration? Or do you actually turn them off given the option?

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
I turn it off at a system level except for racing games, where it's actually useful since it gives you lot of feedback about the handling. I find it annoying for every other game.

Mar 29, 2018
Yeah definitely taken for granted. Not always necessary but really adds a ton. I often switch it off on my Switch to save battery (or if a game has horrific HD rumble implementation) and it's super noticeable.

Deleted member 14663

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I turn it OFF on Switch because of the noise it almost always produces. I could live without it in general, it doesn't add much for me at all.

I liked it in Golf Story and it was cool when I first bought the Rumble Pack on the N64 with Starfox, but the novelty quickly faded.

Oct 25, 2017
I forget it most of the time.
Sometimes I notice it and think it feels cool, P5 had some nice feedback with attacks and I think smash gave feedback while running. But after awhile I don't notice it.

En-ou

Oct 27, 2017
Ocarina of Time used it the best. I can't think of another game where I remember it.

BlkSquirtle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Switching from Overwatch on Ps4 to pc really made me feel it. Using symmetras gun on PS4 as it ramps up is fucking amazing, when it's max power your controller is going insane and you then when you start shooting somebody you FEEL them getting microwaved.

On PC it just feels like every other gun. I actually really miss it and it makes me less excited to use the character.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
I can't agree. I often try to gind options to turn it off. And it's even worse for most switch games I have.

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
Breaking into a run and then flight with the heavy Javelin in Anthem felt so damn good. If I pick up the game I'd probably main that Javelin and the feedback is a big part of that.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I never think about it in the moment but whenever I don't have it im always feeling something is wrong

OP
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Thank god we can turn off at system level now.
Always turn it off when given the chance.
I turn it off in nearly every game I play.
Even for shooters? Or fighting games?

tenor.gif

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I love it, and I sorely missed it in the Sixaxis controller. So glad that we eventually got the Dual Shock 3 last gen.

I don't notice it until it's missing, though. I definitely take it for granted.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Always off. Annoys me when designers try to turn vibration into a mechanic.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Makes me sad that I never got a dual shock for my Playstation 1 back in the day. Had the regular ass controller.

My first experience with Dual Shock was PS2.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I used to not care for rumble until this generation came for PS4 and Switch. Rumble implementation in games is much more nuanced now, especially for the latter.

Dec 25, 2018
dont know how best to describe this, but when it turns off due to low battery I notice my awareness and response times to what's happening in game (usually halo for me) get a bit worse.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The subtle trigger rumble telling me my clip is about to run out in Gears, or telling me I'm losing grip in Forza is feedback I don't need ever want to live without.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Always off. Annoyed me so much that we had to wait 4 years to disable it on a system level on Xbox One.

Even for shooters? Or fighting games?

tenor.gif

Every slightly competetive player will tell you to turn it off. It's an additional (and useless) information that your brain has to process. You are better off relying on your eyes or even your ears.

AcAnchoa

Oct 30, 2017
First thing I do every time I buy a new controller is disassemble it, remove the rumble motors and assemble everything else again. It makes the controller lighter and I don't have to worry about the rumble annoyance, not even for turning it off in the game options.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
I turn that shit off always, hate it. That along with motion controls are things I want nothing to do with.

Disassembling controllers to remove it to make them lighter is interesting but I've never felt they get too heavy.

Deleted member 9584

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I really enjoy rumble when done right. Nintendo first party games' rumble on Switch feel so good and tie in very well to what's going on on screen. I can't say much for the third party games when all they do is turn the rumble on full blast.

Certain parts of KH3 makes my Xbox controller feel like it's gonna explode. Some devs need to do better at how they implement their rumble.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
Playing an FPS without rumble is fucking awful. Luckily it also means my controller is almost dead so its a good charging reminder.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
It is what I miss most playing PC shooters. Objectively I know that M + K is more efficient, but the feeling when firing is less satisfactory in the hands. I love rumble.

Deleted member 49132

Banned
Oct 28, 2018
Wtf @ all these people who turn it off every chance they get. I'm guessing PC players.

I couldn't imagine playing games without it

Shit just wouldn't feel right

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I started turning it off about 6-7 years ago and have rarely ever turned it back on since.

I remember what caused it too, I was doing a play through of the God of War series and the rumble was so overdone in those games that it actually made my hands physically ache for several days even after stopping, and that was only after the first game (maybe after two of the PSP prequels on PS3, I forget if I started with them, but they're pretty short too).
And I know it was the rumble because the second I turned it off when my hands got better I was able to play as long as I wanted without it being an issue.

The only game in that time I turned it on for and enjoyed was Golf Story on the Switch. It was the first and only Switch game I've played that used the HD Rumble effectively. Hitting your ball on different materials actually felt and sounded noticeably different and satisfying.

Sadly the rumble in the Switch is just too damn loud in most of the games I try it out on for too little benefit so after trying it out I almost always turn it back off.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
I turn it off always, it's rare for a game to use vibration well, only recent one I can think of that used vibration well was Yakuza Kiwami. I keep mine turned off, helps save controller battery life too

Castor Archer

Jan 8, 2019
Monster Hunter World uses vibration really well, it gives great feedback for when your weapons are charged up, it's really useful when things get frantic.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
I never cared much for it. There are some cases where i can see it being useful but more often than not it's useless to me.

Roy

Oct 27, 2017
The Rocket League devs owe me a controller for their awful vibration implementation

Oct 28, 2017
i've been playing with the vibration off for like 6 or 7 years, to me it doesn't really add anything and it just suck battery power

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
I turn it off, it throws my aim off. I don't get why "HD rumble" or Steam controller haptics as we like to call them are supposed to be a "game changer". Rumble adds less to a game than fucking anti-aliasing does.

Leynos

Oct 27, 2017
I generally turn it off. Very rarely does vibration add anything useful to a game, eats up battery life, it increases the weight of the controller, it's a point of mechanical failure, and increases the cost of the device. I don't see any benefits whatsoever, and is a pointless gimmick.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
It's a game changer in Anthem. Without it, the shooting and movement feels very weightless and falls flat, but with it on it gives it all a satisfying kick.

On Switch I tend to turn it off because it rattles up a storm. Feels and sounds annoying more than anything. Very few designers approach it with subtlety.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
For me it's haptic feedback + touch pad, and gyro with a comprehensive customization interface at the base level like Steam Input so you can use it if you want, however you want on any game, even it a developer is oblivious to it.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't used controller vibration since Gamecube. Automatically turn it off.