• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
Related: I met Brian Cook at a Russian Circles show and he's a super nice guy who answered all of my dumb questions about his rig.
hell yeah.

I bummed a cig to Steve when I saw them live before Easter came out.

I told him I'll bum him one if they play Angela's Secret to which he just gave me one of those looks that translate to "duh"

also I just realized my user name on here makes it pretty clear I like this band haha

L176

Jan 10, 2019
For me the opinion is simply that I have no idea how music is such a huge part of life for some.

Edit: not meaning making music but for example being a hardcore fan of a band.

Oct 25, 2017
now this is the kind of wild shit I come to this thread for lol

The Chariot's first album is one of the all time greats. so is O' God The Afermath.

ETID is plenty silly.

And no, I don't think Kill Sadie are metal.

Sorry bud but those two bands are lame ha.

Magnitude wrote the best 90s/00s metalcore album this year and I think mya have finally capped off that revival trend.

If you like those (The Chariot) bands though you may like Vein and definitely check out narrows. It's a mix of Botch and Unbroken memebrs

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
If you like those (The Chariot) bands though you may like Vein and definitely check out narrows. It's a mix of Botch and Unbroken memebrs

I hate Vein, they way they incorporate nu metal stylings and for some reason drum n bass beats into this type of music doesn't jive with my taste buds haha

I dig Turnstile and Code Orange though.

oh also Yossarian don't sleep on Converge either. You Fail Me and Jane Doe are so good.

Oct 25, 2017
I hate Vein, they way they incorporate nu metal stylings and for some reason drum n bass beats into this type of music doesn't jive with my taste buds haha

I dig Turnstile and Code Orange though.

oh also Yossarian don't sleep on Converge either. You Fail Me and Jane Doe are so good.

Weird because some look at Turnstile as like 311 like quality at times but unfortunately the nu metal influence is in right now. Tons of bands pulling it out all over.

Oh here's a liquid hot take: Power Trip is thrash metal for people who don't like metal. All their stuff is really rudimentary to me and they're quite one note. I'd much prefer to listen to a band like Judiciary

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Hip hop died in the early 2000's. Everything since is just pop music. Even shit from Jay-Z and Kanye. Shit, especially shit from them.

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
now this is the kind of wild shit I come to this thread for lol

The Chariot's first album is one of the all time greats. so is O' God The Afermath.

ETID is plenty silly.

And no, I don't think Kill Sadie are metal.

Funny story whenever I hear about ETID - the father of the Buckley brothers taught my capstone computer science course in college. This was when they were first getting popular, he mentioned to us that his kids were in a burgeoning band...

FILE_ID.DIZ

Banned
Jun 1, 2019
Fort Wayne
Being here at work on a Monday with the shittiest country station ever playing at ear-splitting volume reminds me of the hottest of musical takes, which I will now relate to you:

Country, hip-hop, and pop are now all indistinguishable except for who's singing, and even then not always.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I thought about making this thread, then did a search and found this one. Hope it's okay to revive it.

Mine:

King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King is just a so-so album. Maybe the most overrated prog related album?

Coldplay - Mylo Xyloto is an excellent album. Maybe the most underrated pop related album?

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
The United States doesn't have a Trinity of vocalists that matches up with the UK's combination of Kate Bush, Tracey Thorn, and Beth Gibbons.

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King is just a so-so album. Maybe the most overrated prog related album?

Epitaph is one of my favorite songs, period. But other than that and the title track, I don't care. I've largely found much of the following albums to be pretty bland. I know wrath will rain down on me for that one lol.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
The United States doesn't have a Trinity of vocalists that matches up with the UK's combination of Kate Bush, Tracey Thorn, and Beth Gibbons.

In pop/rock, no. We go wider into R&B/Jazz and it's a slaughterhouse.

I will say this much, it feels that unless it's a genre where a certain level of chops are the norm it feels like US acts don't even try. I remember reading a Led Zep autobiography and they made it a point to to say they were actively looking for a mindblowing singer. Meanwhile I am reading 'Please Kill Me', and while while punk focused it is still surprising on how often these seminal US bands were like 'Yeah, our drummers brother was at rehearsal one day so we made him the lead singer'.

Oct 27, 2017
Bjork was best when she made listenable dance music (Debut, Post). Homogenic is okay, but hard to listen to as an album. Outside of a handful of singles, everything afterwards is deeply uninteresting.

Kid A hasn't aged well.

Thom was really into Warp Records and the like at the time, and it was a fantastic entry by the band which took his influences mainstream.

With how well electronic music has done this century though the album doesn't hold up all that well.
Radiohead's only good albums are Pablo Honey and The Bends. Any cover of Creep that isn't by Prince is terrible.

admiraltaftbar

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 9, 2017
I just want to know why some people make fun of Muse :(
They are a discount store radiohead wannabe band whose albums since branching out continue to be either lamer or more generic sounding than the last.

mostly jk except I do really think they only have like 1 or 2 actually good albums the rest are just okay at best

Readler

Oct 6, 2018
Eagles are some of the most boring and bland rock music ever
Aerosmith is a terrible band
Foo Fighters have been writing the same songs for 20 years
The Ramones, Clash, and Sex Pistols are incredibly boring to me;I'd give the edge to The Clash if I hate pick one to listen to
Weezer is boring ass nice guy music and Rivers is a creep
Green Day is terrible
"I like all music except [genre)" means you as a supposed music lover did a terrible job exploring a genre
Paradise by the Dashboard Light is an insufferable song
Bad Brains are arguably the more important punk/hardcore band
Beatles had some of the most influential impacts with recording music but I can understand the dislike
Black Sabbath is the more influential rock band over Zeppelin
Mastodon peaked at Crack the Skye
Neutral Milk Hotel are an at best ok band
Are these actually controversial? Particularly agree with the one about Foo Fighters and the Eagles lol.

The Clash are actually great though. Easily the best band from that era.

Kid A hasn't aged well.

Thom was really into Warp Records and the like at the time, and it was a fantastic entry by the band which took his influences mainstream.

With how well electronic music has done this century though the album doesn't hold up all that well.
I know relevant avatar and everything, but I really don't agree with this at all. In fact, while I obviously love all their records, Kid A to this day remains the single most cohesive album of theirs, the one that feels like a single unit the most.

Electronic is the new classical.

Individuals with complete control, no holding to pop song structure, actual movements and changes through songs.
I...can actually get behind this? For a recent example, Madlib's Sound Ancestors is an exquisite example of this.

95% of rap after the 90's is crap. Steaming peanut filled crap.
DOOM? Freddie Gibbs (especially the ones with the Alchemist and Madlib)? Kendrick Lamar? Run the Jewels?
Just to list some of the more popular ones.

The internet actually killed good music by making albums obsolete.
Sorta agreed. This gonna sound pretentious af, but the shift towards playlists and streaming has led to people consuming music not as albums anymore. However, most great artists just don't care. They're still great albums coming out.

Mine:
Prince isn't that great.
Rolling Stones > Beatles.
The Velvet Underground is the single most influential band of all time.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
AJR is a half-decent band with some of the most uninteresting lyrics I've ever heard.

Greta Van Fleet could be an okay band if they (1) chose a name that didn't drop out an asshole and (2) tried to get their own music style.

Lars Ulrich could have been a truly fantastic drummer if he had broken through the ceiling that is his own colon.