• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

peppersky

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
  • Björks music is boring as fuck.
  • Early two thousands rock music was pretty embarrassing looking back at it.
  • Music streaming is not this great liberating thing that people say it is, it in many ways just further cements existing power structures in the music business.
  • There's not nearly enough music in the world.
  • We should stop teaching kids about classical music in school.
  • Music >>>>>> any other art form
  • Frank Ocean is the greatest artist of the last twenty years or so

Oct 25, 2017
I knew coming into this thread there would be a lot of Radiohead is overrated. They seem to be one of the top bands always mentioned in these type of threads. Does the fact that is said so often mean they are actually not overrated? Also curious to what it is about them that makes them overrated.
Its because they're one of the most popular/critically acclaimed bands of the 90s and 2000s

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
look upon my works, and despair

- Amnesiac is the best Radiohead album

- Congratulations is the best MGMT album

- All all of the "classic" thrash stuff sucked except for Metallica but it's uncool to like Metallica

- Carly Rae Jepsen's pivot to indie darling has been shit, her music fuckin sucks

- Billie Eilish and Rosalia just want to be famous their music is just window dressing and it sucks

- Chance the Rapper is only for cornballs and white college students

- Vince Staples was a wave chaser for years he sucks

- All of the fascination with Japanese aesthetics in vaporwave and then city pop and now stuff like Fishmans is super orientalist and corny even if some of the music is good

- Beyonce's albums got worse and worse progressively after I Am Sasha Fierce and Lemonade is a fucking awful top to bottom record

- SOPHIE and PC Music were all dipshits ripping off better artists

- GKMC is great and every other album has moments but Kendrick is an average artist masquerading as a genius. Also he is a lot less woke than people want him to be

- Why do we have to pretend late period emo shit like Paramore is good now. It's still bad

- Deftones is embarassing, terrible band. White Pony was only good because you were 11 when you heard it

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
I don't listen to rap because I was raised by parents who complained they talk instead of sing, and rap about killing cops, doing drugs, and treating women like garbage.

I don't like Dark Side of the Moon. There's nothing memorable about it.
Wait, so you don't listen to an entire music genre because of your parent's ignorant, uninformed and reductive opinion on it? Or is this your opinion on it?

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017

giphy.gif

100% correct.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think we would've lost anything if Queen hadn't existed and I live my life as if they hadn't.

Everything Phil Collins has been involved with is tripe.

Pearl Jam and Nirvana are overplayed and overrated.

Pearl Jam fucking suck, but Nirvana...?

Really? With an album as near to perfect as In Utero? Nah.

What does overrated even mean, too many people like a thing that you don't?

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
honestly I think it takes too much effort to actively dislike entire artists or genres. I used to be like "so and so band sucks", but I came to realize there's really no such thing as a bad genre or artist. Yeah sure I have preferences but I am almost always able to find something I like by bands/artists I don't really care for too much.

sure there are probably extreme examples where this isn't the case("but what about Brokencyde!?"), but listing off huge lists of popular bands that you hate takes too much effort, and really is dishonest. Guarantee you like something from each of those bands you just listed.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
The word "corny" when used in discussing hip-hop is a nothing word and will make me immediately dismiss your opinion.

Autotune fucking sucks, so hard, so very very very hard, and a lot of current hip-hop sucks because of that. It's garbage people!!

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
9 times out of 10 the reason I like a song has everything to do with the instrumentals

9 times out of 10 the reason I hate a song has everything to do with the lyrics

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Honestly though, how much of it is about glamorizing bad behavior? Aren't they the most popular rappers?
This is a common complaint and misconception from people who dont even listen to hip hop. Yeah there is "raunchy" rap same as any genre, but there is all kinds of rap. It's like saying "I dont like rock music because it's all about sex and drugs".

Just look at group like A Tribe Called Quest. Easily one of the most popular and influential hip-hop acts of all time and their music is nothing like you're talking about, and is super positive and uplifting.

Last edited:

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Kanye West and Beyoncé are awful
U2 is overrated
The new Volbeat stuff is boring
Scooter is so bad that it's almost good again
Coldplay is alright
A night at the Opera is Blind Guardian's best album

Ah and Hakuna Matata is terrible and the worst song from The Lion King

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
It's hard to listen to new music when you get older because the lyrics are usually so centered on late adolescent / early adulthood issues and frames of mind. Even older acts that put out new material will often write fairly angsty stuff, which just feels weird when you're like 40-50 years old.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Outside of Power, Kanye sucks. His beats are fucking great, and he ruins it with his rapping.

I can pick five hip hop artists that are significantly better than he is, and I don't know why people love him.

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
The amount of times in this thread that I have gone from nodding my head in agreement to being completely outraged by the next post is amazing. Well done everyone.

FILE_ID.DIZ

Banned
Jun 1, 2019
Fort Wayne
re: Nickelback: I wrote this on a now-deactivated Twitter account, then posted it to a shitty Blogspot site, but it works best here, I'd say.

Keep seeing Nickelback comparisons in my timeline and I just get tired of it. Not because I like them; no, because it comes off as kind of lazy. It's a stock joke by now, a cheap pop line to endear yourself to the internet-bound masses. But I think it behooves us to dig deeper.

Cracking Nickelback jokes is something we all get behind, but why? Do we really think they're terrible, or is it something else? I think it comes down to two things.

First, of course, is that the general consensus is that they're horrible, and everyone will tell you so if asked.

But where does it come from? Certainly it had to start somewhere, right?

Hell if I know. But if you looked long enough, you'd probably find some source that first said it, and it got passed along like so many other opinions.

By now, it's just sort of accepted - they suck.

Everyone gets it from someone else, and going against it is considered trolling.

But I think there's something else there, a second reason that is far more reasonable, and far less used because it requires nuance.

It's not that they actively suck, it's that they are utterly flavorless. They're not the good kind of bad, the "Friday", "Chocolate Rain", "Brokencyde" kind of bad that elicits laughs merely by existing. They're not even corporate, because that would require a level of cynical artistry. No, they're simply without texture.

They're the Palmer "chocolate" of post-grunge: Utterly lacking in the basics of what makes rock listenable. They're not "vanilla" because proper vanilla, even cheap and nasty versions of it, have a level of art involved. They're the unflavored ice milk of music.

They have neither the grace of art, nor the skill of a science. They're the gruel of a Sustaining Spoon. They're a diet of white rice and navy beans without even the slightest seasoning.

And that's unforgivable. You must understand: People like things that are bad enough to be amusing. They will watch terrible movies and laugh at the awful pathos, the shoddy effects, the wooden or hammy acting. They like a cheap, greasy burger every now and then when they could have steak.

But Nickelback isn't that. They commit the greatest sin that one can commit when making something for an audience: They're mediocre.

Mediocrity isn't funny. We can't sympathize with it because we feel cheated, and we can't laugh at it because it gives nothing to laugh at. We actively hate it because it gives nothing.

That's why we really hate Nickelback. They take without giving. They're a nothing.

Roger Ebert reviewed the movie "Mad Dog Time" negatively by saying that it "didn't improve on the sight of a blank screen for the same length of time." That's what Nickelback's great sin is: they offer no improvement over the silence they fill. They are, as Ebert went on to say, "like waiting for the bus in a city where you're not sure they have a bus line."

"But Dee," I hear you asking because I can hear you right now, "IF that's the problem, why do they sell albums and fill concert venues?" And that's a fine question, one I ask over plenty of acts. The answer is simple: there's always someone.

Let me explain: there exists a small but vocal contingent out there who will gladly take the middle of the road and be content. They buy generic cola and store-brand products not for the price, but because there's something they don't care for in the name brands. They go to Applebee's or Olive Garden every couple weeks and think of it as the height of their sophistication. Their tastes bend toward mediocrity, not away from it.

And I'm about to say something that won't win me any friends: Their tastes are as valid as yours.

If you asked them about what you like, they'd look at you like you were the weird one here. To them, you're a weirdo with awful taste. That's how opinions work.

So don't just follow along blindly and repeat things because someone tells you their tastes aren't subjective and that something is "objectively bad". Even if it's mediocre, someone wants it. And that's just how people are.

Oct 28, 2017
The overwhelming majority of rap music is trash. Most songs in the genre are drastically outclassed by their own instrumental versions. If you combed through all of rap music, there might be an album's worth of exceptions.

The Watcher

Oct 29, 2017
I truly enjoy the covers of most Beatles songs more than the originals. To add to that, the Isley Bros. version of "Twist and Shout" is the definitive song.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
look upon my works, and despair

- Congratulations is the best MGMT album

- All all of the "classic" thrash stuff sucked except for Metallica but it's uncool to like Metallica

- Carly Rae Jepsen's pivot to indie darling has been shit, her music fuckin sucks

- Billie Eilish and Rosalia just want to be famous their music is just window dressing and it sucks

- Chance the Rapper is only for cornballs and white college students

- Vince Staples was a wave chaser for years he sucks

- All of the fascination with Japanese aesthetics in vaporwave and then city pop and now stuff like Fishmans is super orientalist and corny even if some of the music is good

- Beyonce's albums got worse and worse progressively after I Am Sasha Fierce and Lemonade is a fucking awful top to bottom record

- SOPHIE and PC Music were all dipshits ripping off better artists

- GKMC is great and every other album has moments but Kendrick is an average artist masquerading as a genius. Also he is a lot less woke than people want him to be

- Why do we have to pretend late period emo shit like Paramore is good now. It's still bad

- Deftones is embarassing, terrible band. White Pony was only good because you were 11 when you heard it

I don't even know who all of these are but i appreciate the energy of this post

KingFrost92

Oct 26, 2017
Oregon
Well, music is the most subjective art form. I think this thread makes that pretty clear.

Positive:
-Anybody who says rap is bad should really take a look into the history of how that music came to be from the 70s to the 80s. The genre as a whole is probably the most fascinating one out there, and today it has overwhelmingly more to say than any other music being made.
-Musical theater is, for me, the best form of storytelling and music, period. I realize that may make my other opinions less valid.
-Classical music can be lifechanging-ly good and should also be made more accessible outside of the basic music education we have in America.
-Ska is good, and even better when you look outside of the three ska bands that everyone knows. It's corny, yeah, but I love corny and that's okay.

Negative:
-Anything lyrically or story-focused completely loses me. This is why I can't listen to Bob Dylan or a lot of folk music. Even with hip hop, my brain usually focuses on the production before listening to any of the words.
-Deafheaven confuses me and the super-high ratings from critics don't make sense to me.
-My Bloody Valentine is one of the only bands I would call pretentious.
-I can never listen to Sonic Youth after they messed with Nardwuar and were dicks to him. Do not appreciate that energy.
-I sometimes think Spotify and Apple have ruined how we listen to music.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Grunge and Classic Rock/Metal (as in Aerosmith, Iron Maiden, etc) are the two worst genres.

The Mars Volta - Frances the Mute is the 2nd best album ever made.

Amnesiac is better than Kid A. If Radiohead cut Morning Bell and put in some of the b-sides, Amnesiac might be my favorite album ever.

Beatles really are that good.

The best metal band ever is Converge.

Neutral Milk Hotel is horrible. Cringe-inducing try-hard music.

Muse, Queen and Radiohead - the internet trifecta of sheeple hipsterdom.
There's no hipster in the world who likes Muse or Queen, lol. Shit bands (though OoS is good)

Radiohead is a top 5 band all time though

cJAYblazE

Dec 7, 2017
Radiohead is overrated.
Beatles is not that good.
Linkin Park just have 2 good albuns, the rest are trash.
James Hetfield is the best metal frontman.

latex

Jul 5, 2018
While I'm in here: Britney Spears is one of the best things to happen to music and early aughts pop, full of pure joy and attitude and confidence, is one of my favorite eras in music history.

genjiZERO

Banned
Jan 27, 2019
Richmond
Oh this'll be fun nwahahaha

90s Rock:

90% of 90s music is trash, and the only three 90s bands that matter are Radiohead, Sonic Youth, and Fugazi (and the later two are arguably 80s bands). Nirvana's music is mediocre at best, and the only reason they were so popular was because of the cult of personality around Cobain. Melancholy and the Infinite Sadness sucks and Pisces Iscariot is the only good Smashing Pumpkins record.

Rap:

2 Pac and Biggie killed rap music, and with a handful of exceptions has been mediocre at best since then. Eminem is not one of those exceptions.

Metal and Prog:

Are both not nearly as intelligent as their followers would have you believe. Playing straight scales for 10 minutes very fast doesn't mean you're a great artist or guitar player.

Punk:

Fugazi is so punk that they aren't a punk band yet are the ultimate punk band (maybe this isn't controversial).

Electronic:

No Geography > Closer. Trance peaked in 1999.

R&B:

Is the actual best genre, and within it 70s psych R&B is the best form of the genre. Earth, Wind and Fire are the all-time greatest band.

Pop music:

Everything that is popular is pop.

And Amnesiac > Kid A

HttT is the best Radiohead album (and I say that as a massive Radiohead).

The Watcher

Oct 29, 2017
I have another one and I've actually wrestled with this:

Despite the nature of his past crimes and it being all but confirmed that he was a pedophilic monster, Michael Jackson's influence on pop and rnb runs deep and is practically inescapable at this point and I have no problems acknowledging said influence.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
eminem has never been good and has always been either unbearably edgy or painfully cringy. the only thing he ever did that approached quality was performed by Dido

malus

Oct 30, 2017
The hate for wood wind instruments in the Brass Band scene is completely overblown and many Brass Band players limit their musical horizon by ignoring Wind Bands. In fact every Brass Band player should play in a Wind Band at least once in their life.

Also Floor Jansen is the best singer Nightwish has ever had.

Max

Oct 25, 2017
The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, and Van Halen all suck, mostly because the vocals are garbage.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
I really like Toto
Billy Joel is fine, he has a couple of good songs
No I like really like Toto
There are a lot of bands that people think are smart that aren't
I own all but one Toto album
Rush has the best lyrics of any rock band
I know all of their names and idolize the Porcaros
Michael McDonald is also a really good lyricist
send help

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Weezer is the Adam Sandler of music.

A couple great hits in the mid-1990s, and then junk for 25 years, still loved by ~40 year old white guys.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
The word "corny" when used in discussing hip-hop is a nothing word and will make me immediately dismiss your opinion.

Autotune fucking sucks, so hard, so very very very hard, and a lot of current hip-hop sucks because of that. It's garbage people!!

these two opinions together is beautiful. This is what being a Hopsin fan does to your brain.

R.E.M. are great, but Murmur and Reckoning are largely pretty boring.

Murmur is the only good REM album! And it kicks fucking ass.

in your LIFE have you heard a better song. Fuck