• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Lesane Parish Crooks (2pac) is by far the best rapper of all time and it's not even remotely close.

Last edited:

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Bjorks song writing and instrumentation is fantastic, Her voice and harmonies however are absolutely insufferable and unlistenable

Rick rubin, as respected ad an og hip hol head as he is, is a horrific producer, unless it's outside hip hop,

Last edited:
OP
OP
Menome

Menome

Oct 25, 2017
Another one from me:

Trans is Neil Young's best album, especially once you read the heartbreaking story behind it.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Music that came from Acadiana is just as good as music that came from New Orleans.

EDIT: Wait a minute, Zydeco is Creole? I always thought it originated from Acadiana? Help me out!

Last edited:

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
This is as bad a take as "all rap music sucks"
The whole thread is purely dumb bad takes. might as well have fun with it.
It very soon became "how can i ridicule another person's taste".
in reality i couldn't care less what people listen to. As long as i don't have to hear it loudly in a public space.

Last edited:

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Texas is one of the most important states for their musical legacy.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Kate Bush is superior to any artist we here in the United States worshipped during the 80s, and this county should be ashamed for not embracing her.

As a whole, Women Vocalists >>>>>>>>>>>> Male Vocalists

The Beatles are not a Top 5 band. Maybe Top 10. Definitely Top 15.

The 90s peaked with Portishead and Fiona Apple.

Julia Holter is better than your currently active favorite musician.

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
Madonna's body of work is far more impressive than Michael Jackson's
Fact. Madonna, despite her lackluster recent albums is one of the best musicians of all time and every single current female pop act owes their existence to her.

P!NK sold out and started making awful recycled "mom music" to stay relevant.

Charli XCX is a talented musician who is wasting her talent releasing hastily put together trash and nonsensical collaborations.

Selena Gomez has got to be the biggest fraud of current pop music who owes her career to the songwriters whose vocals she uses as her own.

Lana Del Rey is one of the most interesting pop singers working today.

Carly Rae Jepsen is one of the most unremarkable pop singers working today.

Elton John is unbelievably overrated.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
There's more interesting new music now than back in the day.

If you don't want to search for it, that's on you. But it's out there.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
mine is "people can listen to what they want and if you go around telling people that they can't listen to something due to your personal determination of quality then you're stuck in the 6th grade and need help."

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
NIN should have retired for good after Year Zero/Ghosts and Reznor should have just did soundtracks for movies and new side projects.

Scottt

Oct 25, 2017
I like electronic music, but:

Dividing electronic music into hundreds of subgenres is not real. What are you even talking about.

Building a song around "the drop" is bad songwriting.

Deleted member 18360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think Tim Hecker's work rivals some of the best of classical music in artistic merit.

Also, the Beastie Boys suck and are basically unlistenable.

And SOPHIE is just okay. Her work is noteworthy, but imo primarily within the lens or context of pop. Autechre did more cutting edge stuff way back in 2001.

Last edited:

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Imagine if we let the jazz pianists play without the sax ruining it.

Surely nothing like that exists where two artists respect each other so much that they allow each other their respective moments to shine on a composition and blend their instruments perfectly, seamlessly. Oh wait

I'm ignoring this thread now, it will make me irrationally upset lol

truly101

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I hate boring post rock shit bands like Godspeed You Black Emperor. When your best defense of the music is that its great to listen to when doing something else, then the music isn't really great. Its one of those things you claim to enjoy when you want to seem like an interesting person

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
I hate boring post rock shit bands like Godspeed You Black Emperor. When your best defense of the music is that its great to listen to when doing something else, then the music isn't really great. Its one of those things you claim to enjoy when you want to seem like an interesting person

Just to add to this, If your band name has unnecessary punctuation in the title (Like Godspeed You! Black Emperor or Panic! At the Disco) I immediately don't give a shit about anything you will ever produce.

Limp Bizkit used to be good [their last album was trash though]
Chester Bennington is the best vocalist of all time
Rock is not dead
Mumble rap and new school rap is shit in general
AC DC, Guns and Roses and Greatful Dead are extremely overrated

Deleted member 18360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I used to be a fan of GY!BE but graduated to even subtler more experimental and ambient stuff (lol).

It's not as you say, it isn't the kind of music you listen to while doing something else, it's the kind of music you listen to reclined eyes closed with headphones. The impressionism and subtle transitions are supposed to seep into you, and that doesn't happen if you're distracted. It's the kind of stuff that rewards patience and attention, so I'd say a closer analog is to tranquil contemplation. It's fine to not like it but ime most people are just not fit judges to evaluate its quality just because of the discrepancy in taste. Most post rock that I know of like Black Emperor, Explosions in the Sky, or Sigur Ros, are actually kinda basic imo.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018

This except Wagner is a fuckin' fascist and ain't nobody out there who should be trying to imitate the dude's style

truly101

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I used to be a fan of GY!BE but graduated to even subtler more experimental and ambient stuff (lol).

It's not as you say, it isn't the kind of music you listen to while doing something else, it's the kind of music you listen to reclined eyes closed with headphones. The impressionism and subtle transitions are supposed to seep into you, and that doesn't happen if you're distracted. It's the kind of stuff that rewards patience and attention. It's fine to not like it but ime most people are just not fit judges to evaluate its quality just because of the discrepancy in taste.
I can appreciate your take, its better than what most people have reasoned when I ask them why. I'm not a huge post rock fan in general, it sometimes seems to be to far up its own asshole on how clever it thinks it is, when I just find it boring. Some Mogwai tracks were ok but in general it just isn't for me. Not sure they count as post rock, but I find Sigur Ros painfully boring as well. I remember when their first album dropped and people gushed on how amazing it was and NOBODY would dare criticize it. To me it was like Spiritualized, only less talented and interesting and 100% more boring and gimmicky. Hopelanic? Cut that bullshit out.

Deleted member 5853

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
- Vince Staples was a wave chaser for years he sucks
- SOPHIE and PC Music were all dipshits ripping off better artists
I'm upset.

- All of the fascination with Japanese aesthetics in vaporwave and then city pop and now stuff like Fishmans is super orientalist and corny even if some of the music is good
This, I partly agree with.
I think Tim Hecker's work rivals some of the best of classical music in artistic merit.
Virgins was Tim Hecker's last good album.

Deleted member 18360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Virgins was Tim Hecker's last good album.

Nah man get on my (rarefied) level :p Love Steams was meh but since then, Hecker challenging himself to even greater levels of austerity can only be a good thing.

I can appreciate your take, its better than what most people have reasoned when I ask them why. I'm not a huge post rock fan in general, it sometimes seems to be to far up its own asshole on how clever it thinks it is, when I just find it boring. Some Mogwai tracks were ok but in general it just isn't for me. Not sure they count as post rock, but I find Sigur Ros painfully boring as well. I remember when their first album dropped and people gushed on how amazing it was and NOBODY would dare criticize it. To me it was like Spiritualized, only less talented and interesting and 100% more boring and gimmicky. Hopelanic? Cut that bullshit out.

I actually agree with this, all of those bands you mentioned had a transitional role in my life, so my interest in them wasn't really sustained, either.

Mar 15, 2019
Brazil
for anyone saying Kanye is a bad rapper, lmao at you if you listen to him expecting top 5 tier lyrics

but please tell me one person in hip-hop capable of doing all the shit he made in these 20+ years in the music industry, elevating the artistic state of hip-hop and pop music in general influencing pretty much all major artists nowadays

the only one i could think being somewhat close would be pharrell, but still, Kanye is better

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
The early, at least the most commercial punk rock is insanely bland and meaningless. Poor instrumentals and just chavs screaming with little sense of good song structure or complexity. Bands like Wire, later Black Flag, and post-punk in general were far superior.
source.gif

adamsappel

Oct 27, 2017
I can never tell which of these takes are real and which are trolls. Like, this is one of the dumbest things I've ever read. I understand not liking the Beatles, but this?
The Beatles have never done anything music wise worth mentioning: they didn't expand on the genre at all.

To contribute: I like Queen, but you are safe only listening to the Greatest Hits I & II albums (and II only for a few songs). I did a deep dive into their catalog and the hits became hits for good reason, and everything else is pretty forgettable.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
- All of the fascination with Japanese aesthetics in vaporwave and then city pop and now stuff like Fishmans is super orientalist and corny even if some of the music is good

Yeah, the racial undertones in vaporwave are creepy and weird and beyond that I actually don't think most of the music in the genre improves on the original soul recordings they've downpitched.

Instant Vintage

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I can never tell which of these takes are real and which are trolls. Like, this is one of the dumbest things I've ever read. I understand not liking the Beatles, but this?

Is it dumb? You could argue that, but that would be dumb in and of itself because it's all subjective. However, The Beatles didn't contribute anything new. They didn't break or even bend conventional music standards. To go even further, they were 4 good looking guys who became a pop sensation because of their looks and accent.

Compare them to someone in their time frame, like James Brown, and you can clearly see how outclassed they were dealing with just music.

But I'm some faceless person talking about music tastes on a forum on the Internet. You may very well be right; I'm just dumb. *shrug*

offshore

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Pop music after ~2005 just fell off a fucking cliff IMO. lol. I had to stop listening to the radio it was that bad. Even today I listen to the Top 40 and am just baffled.

How the fuck is Old Town Road one of the biggest tracks in the world? How is Lewis Capaldi a thing?

Mystery.

Hindl

Oct 25, 2017
I'm legit confused about people in here posting that Queen is just fine or not the greatest band ever. Here, in a controversial music opinions thread. Outside of like one diehard Queen fan I met, I've never heard anyone refer to them as one of the greatest bands ever, so it's confusing seeing these posts to the contrary and acting like it's a bold take.

The Beatles, the Stones, Zeppelin? Sure, those are beloved bands that many musicians cite as influential so saying they're overrated is controversial to the mainstream. But Queen?

I wasn't expecting them to come up at all, outside of someone maybe saying they're absolute trash

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Who says that? Whenever I have good Post Rock on it demands my attention. You don't have to like it, but there's no need to attack its fans while you're at it.