• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Voodoowoolf

Oct 31, 2017
Styles P is one of the best rappers and super underrated, Fugazi and Sonic Youth are the best bands of the 90s, Black sabbath best album is their debut, Frank Ocean is easily one of the best artists of the 21st century, Trent Reznor is one of the best musicians of all time.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Mine will sound a little odd to some for sure, but i absolutely adore György Cziffra's interpretation of Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody N.2 ...

Believe me, that's controversial ;)

Let's be even crazier... (because there's the video)

nb: Daffy and Donald aren't here !

Foxhound

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 7, 2019
The Stooges and Kraftwerk were more important in the history of music than the Beatles.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
That's an interesting way to spell Kanye West.
V0l2ZSW.gif

Ninhead

Drive-in Mutant
Avenger
Nov 18, 2017
man I wish Taylor Swift sounded like a poor man's Taylor Swift circa 1989

Beck has never been good
Mellow Gold is over 25 years old so you're going to have to be a tad more specific about which generation.

I have two turntables and a microphone that says you're wrong.
That's an interesting way to spell Kanye West.

See? Controversial.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Kanye isn't as deep as everyone thinks he is.

Babymetal is the only Metal band that I enjoy.

Freddie Mercury was the most charismatic frontman.

KPOP in general is worse than ~10 years ago.

I'm from the West Coast and Tupac is overrated, and he was just a poet nerd who was in way over his head, Biggie was better.

NSYNC > Backstreet Boys.

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
Radiohead might just be the most overrated band of all time
I'm convinced that the vast majority of their fans only grew to like their music through force of repetition. Some tastemakers in the 90s decided Radiohead were The Real Thing(TM) and a million posers never questioned them on it.

Fact is, unless you have some training or understanding of how music is constructed, Radiohead will fly right over your head. They're an experimental demo band musicians get excited over like car guys drooling over Porsches or Ferraris. Meanwhile, a bunch of Corolla drivers have made liking them a part of their identities for no honest reason.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
If you have a highly negative opinion about a group (Beatles) but were never around to experience the massive cultural impact at the time, then you have an uninformed opinion.

OP
OP
Menome

Menome

Oct 25, 2017
The early, at least the most commercial punk rock is insanely bland and meaningless. Poor instrumentals and just chavs screaming with little sense of good song structure or complexity. Bands like Wire, later Black Flag, and post-punk in general were far superior.

That was the point though? A complete culture rebellion against stuff like prog made by art-school trained musicians, from working-class oiks who just picked up cheap guitars and drums and strung three chords together.

Capital-P Punk of the late 70s was a flash-in-the-pan movement that was more about a statement of intent than good music. That came later with the bands you mentioned.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A good EDM producer is on par with or dare I say it more talented than many songwriters.

Just the ability to jam on instruments and right it down gives you such a huge advantage vs literally making it all from scratch on a computer. Don't get me wrong there's a lot of trash and generic sounding electronic music but the good producers are seriously next level musical talents.

Oct 27, 2017
Progressive metal and jazz have consistently been the two most interesting genres of the last 50 years. Pop and rock have stagnated and remain locked into boring 4/4 time signatures and song structure so they can be radio friendly.

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't mind people streaming music, but if you're not buying from the artists you want to stay around, you're destroying their careers.

This isn't true at all. Musicians have always earned the vast majority of their income from merchandise and ticket sales. Album sales mean almost nothing money wise to most artists.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm convinced that the vast majority of their fans only grew to like their music through force of repetition. Some tastemakers in the 90s decided Radiohead were The Real Thing(TM) and a million posers never questioned them on it.

Fact is, unless you have some training or understanding of how music is constructed, Radiohead will fly right over your head.

...What if, and open your mind real wide now, people heard their songs and... liked them?

I hate Queen with a passion, but I would never presume anything about the people that like them.

The most utterly inane, arrogant and completely meaningless musical opinions are the one's where people conjure up the reasons others like something they don't. They have literally no grounding in anything approaching reality and say more about the person who spouts them off than anything else.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I don't like the Beatles, even when i do see their importance , they just don't click with me, same for their solo stuff. I like Oasis WAY better.

Come at me motherfuckers.

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
There's a jazz musician who I think is the best musician of all time. I guess that's controversial because no one gives a damn about jazz?

Oct 27, 2017
I'd rather listen to someone screaming as they smash their head repeatedly on a Casio keyboard than any of that business. Virtuosity, while superficially impressive, lacks soul to me.

If you think all prog metal sounds like Dream Theater, then sure. Bands like Opeth, Between The Buried And Me, Polyphia, etc. have plenty of soul and are focused more on composing interesting and challenging instrumentals without just a bunch of wankery. The genre has been growing and changing since it's inception.

Fitzgerald

Feb 23, 2018
A good EDM producer is on par with or dare I say it more talented than many songwriters.

Just the ability to jam on instruments and right it down gives you such a huge advantage vs literally making it all from scratch on a computer. Don't get me wrong there's a lot of trash and generic sounding electronic music but the good producers are seriously next level musical talents.

Not so sure about the bolded, but other than that I totally agree with you.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If you think all prog metal sounds like Dream Theater, then sure. Bands like Opeth, Between The Buried And Me, Polyphia, etc. have plenty of soul and are focused more on composing interesting and challenging instrumentals without just a bunch of wankery. The genre has been growing and changing since it's inception.

I like "interesting and challenging" and I've got friends who have tried to get me into it and... it does nothing for me. I'd argue it is wankery in terms of composition too.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The beat to "On Sight" is a top 5 hip-hop beat of all time.

Daft Punk's remix to Franz Ferdinand's "Take Me Out" is good.