Uncle at Nintendo

▲ Legend ▲
Jan 3, 2018
https://www.newsweek.com/right-wing-pastor-greg-locke-organises-massive-book-burning-1674983

A controversial pastor is planning a "massive burning" of Harry Potter and Twilight books, as well as other items, in Tennessee.

Global Vision Bible Church pastor Greg Locke was met with cries of approval on Sundaywhen he declared there would be a "burning service" this week.

Locke, who operates out of Mt. Juliet near Nashville, told them to bring Ouija boards, which he called a "portal to hell," and other items he said were associated with witchcraft.

He then doubled down on his comments in a Monday Facebook post, where he declared the burning would be part of a "continued series on deliverance from demons."

The post read: "We have stuff coming in from all over that we will be burning. We're not playing games. Witchcraft and accursed things must go."

Locke then justified the event by referring to Acts 19, a Biblical chapter that deals with recent converts to Christianity renouncing their past, including by burning scrolls relating to sorcery.

America is devolving at an extremely rapid pace. Quarter me if old.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like censorship. What happened to free speech?

Last edited:

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
GuuLfrQ.png

BMNxnSA.png

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
"Maybe book burning is something I should do" should automatically trigger all the alarms in your head as soon as you think it, no matter how insane you are. Like, come on.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Now, where have I seen this before? Don't tell me it'll come to me eventually.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
burning twilight and harry potter in…2022? uhhh well good luck with that…

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, he can take the Harry Potter books.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
By all means, burn the TERF books.

The US is really going back to the Dark Ages.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I would have tried to inject at least a modicum of modernity into the proceedings by condemning Critical Role to eternal damnation.

Their show just debuted on Prime! D & D is in the zeitgeist again! Remember how you guys hated D & D?

It's back!

In pod form!

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Ah, never thought I would get to see a second satanic panic. Mixed feelings on the Harry Potter stuff though.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
It would legit be funny to see someone roll up with a truck full of Bibles and ask "where's the fire?"

Oct 27, 2017
This guy is a known wacko (and Qanon truther) around here and got in trouble constantly during the initial covid "lockdown" which is where he's somehow gotten more popular. He lives in a conservative suburb outside of Nashville but comes down here to do events with Republican politicians (like a rally with Don jr last year), so yeah none of this is surprising at all.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
how long until they start burning people?

I feel like that answer is probably uncomfortably closer than I think it is.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
I remember doing this in the mid 90s. I got involved in an ultaconservative religious baptist cult while in junior high due to this girl I was interested in. Got caught up in it and ended up burning my pop and rock CD collection along with some fantasy and comic books they did not approve of. What a fricking waste and boy did I regret it after that girl rejected me lol.