• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm actually more upset this isn't a movie or a TV show. I would watch this, and a tie in would get me so hyped for the game and vice versa.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
I must have watched it a dozen times already. The world they built seems super interesting. I know it's a self contained thing but I wouldn't mind if one day we got a movie out of it.

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All that trailer did was make me feel like they'd been better off making an Anthem film instead of the game. Cause that looked like it could be a cool film but it did not make me want to play Anthem.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
I'm actually more upset this isn't a movie or a TV show. I would watch this, and a tie in would get me so hyped for the game and vice versa.
Yeah really wtf. Half way through I was like okay this has to be a trailer for a movie or short film. I almost think this might work against them. This was the first time I was excited about Anthem tbh. Neill did a great job.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yup, I really loved that. Damn I hope the story in the game is good and engaging...

Kalamour

Oct 25, 2017
Blomkamp seems to have built a very competent and talented production team within OATS Studios, one that can (apparently) provide impressive visuals with a reasonable budget. They seem like they would be perfect to handle Showtime's new Halo series.

Quatermain

Oct 29, 2017
Blomkamp seems to have built a very competent and talented production team within OATS Studios, one that can (apparently) provide impressive visuals with a reasonable budget. They seem like they would be perfect to handle Showtime's new Halo series.

All the VFX work in this was outsourced to a studio in Prague. None of the original VFX team that worked on the shorts and Adam were on this, with the exception of the VFX Supervisor.

Kalamour

Oct 25, 2017
Is that even still happening tho?

Hard to say. I hope so...

All the VFX work in this was outsourced to a studio in Prague. None of the original VFX team that worked on the shorts and Adam were on this, with the exception of the VFX Supervisor.

Interesting, do you think it's because the local team is busy on something else? I had the feeling that this 'OATS' experiment was pretty much over given that they failed to generate enough revenue to keep going.

Quatermain

Oct 29, 2017
Interesting, do you think it's because the local team is busy on something else? I had the feeling that this 'OATS' experiment was pretty much over given that they failed to generate enough revenue to keep going.

That is correct, there is no local VFX team anymore. OATS, at least in terms of its original vision is dead; but it's Neill's label to do what he wishes with so I guess he's decided to carry it forward on commercial projects.

Kalamour

Oct 25, 2017
That is correct, there is no local VFX team anymore. OATS, at least in terms of its original vision is dead; but it's Neill's label to do what he wishes with so I guess he's decided to carry it forward on commercial projects.

OK, too bad, thanks for the info. I really hope they will find success with commercial projects.

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
But...

Is he going to hire some peeps and use the OATS studio branding for the next Robocop? He could potentially resurrect the studio then, right?

Quatermain

Oct 29, 2017
But...

Is he going to hire some peeps and use the OATS studio branding for the next Robocop? He could potentially resurrect the studio then, right?

That probably won't happen, at least not like that. Robocop is a feature film production, and it will likely be at the movie studio's discretion (hopefully with some input from Neill) which VFX vendors would be doing the work.

I doubt it will be possible to tie the OATS name to that project. I mean, in theory he could rehire a local staff and have OATS studios do some of the work, but they'd just be one of likely several vendors working on the film and the credits would be relegated to the bottom with the rest of the VFX studios. The logistics and costs of doing that don't make it very feasible.

Mud

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
God we waste a lot as humans. What was the budget for that? Was cool, but why couldn't they just use the game assets?

Made it look great. May be a stinker though.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That sure was some ACTING!!!

What is the point of this post?

God we waste a lot as humans. What was the budget for that? Was cool, but why couldn't they just use the game assets?

Made it look great. May be a stinker though.

Why discredit creative work like this? Why is it a waste? Also, Oats Studios is known to accomplish great results with a low budget.

Ok, now I want a Netflix Anthem TV show by Blomkamp

Just an anthology show like Black Mirror would be amazing. I'll be surprised if they haven't already sealed a deal with Netflix yet.

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Well that was crap.

Although, to be fair, live action video game trailers always are.

Mostly it just makes me feel sorry for Mr Blomkamp. I mean, imagine going from directing District 9 to making ads for EA games.

I hope that at least everyone got paid well for their work.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
What is the point of this post?

Why discredit creative work like this? Why is it a waste? Also, Oats Studios is known to accomplish great results with a low budget.

Just an anthology show like Black Mirror would be amazing. I'll be surprised if they haven't already sealed a deal with Netflix yet.
Because there was scene chewing overreacting? But thanks for your concern.