• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chrno

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it looks cool and all, and i would love a Series/Movie like that, but this seems to be rather pointless.

i was just told that it was made to 'build awareness'.

as someone who was very aware of anthem, this did nothing for me.. so yeah, I guess we weren't the target audience for this specific set of marketing.

Inki

Oct 30, 2017
Unless you've got some sort of source, you're simply guessing that is what they may do. Don't state guesses as facts.

You are correct, this is my opinion (based on some knowledge of how the movie industry works) . I apologize for not clarifying, I thought that if I stated something without citation it would read as opinion, my mistake. I have no insider knowledge in regards to this. I'm going to clarify my previous post to avoid any confusion or speculation.

See above.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Btw this part is interesting.

• There is a folk tale of the first cypher. It was a daughter of an Engineer, who "developed strange new abilities" not long after the Cataclysm. She could "see faraway things" or "talk directly into another's mind". Soon, Arcanists arrived and presented her with an experiment to help them test device that would amplify her gift. However, girl's mind "ventured too far from her body and became lost to the music of the Anthem of Creation". It is believed that "cyphers glimpse the engineer's daughter while in their amplifier".

Kokoro

Jan 23, 2019
France
It looks like a trailer for a movie. But I'm a little confused. Is the story in this trailer is in the game or is it just for this trailer?

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
It's a neat marketing thing but I wish it were an actual short film.

Deleted member 41931

User requested account closure
Apr 10, 2018
That was well done, though I would have rather they had done a self contained short film or something more directly tied to the game like ODST. If I knew nothing about Anthem I would think that was a movie trailer.

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
i was just told that it was made to 'build awareness'.

as someone who was very aware of anthem, this did nothing for me.. so yeah, I guess we weren't the target audience for this specific set of marketing.

Yeah, i get it, but wouldn't it rather confuse customers? Wouldn't casual people seeing this await a Movie? I would get if it was a short film, like 10 mins or so, but this is just confusing.
But maybe it will work, no idea ^^

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This game will definitely be a "flop" because judging from that trailer EA is going to be pitching ludicrous sales numbers to its shareholders.

I'd laugh if they claim "best selling game EVER" and then at the end of the fiscal year cite "disappointing sales of Anthem."

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
They changed the title of the vid from "Anthem story" to "Anthem trailer". They somehow managed to confuse their audience even more with this, lol.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
That was pretty great. It definitely looks and felt like a nice trailer for a Movie. Pretty damn impressive

RedFury

Oct 27, 2017
For those that havent seen Chappie or District 9 watch them they're great. Also those 2 projects started as short videos just like this. I'm hopeful this looks fun.
Tetra Vaal became Chappie.
Alive in Joburg became District 9.

emir

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Awesome. Sad thing is that all the ultra great scenes were taken only for a 4-minute trailer. That's sucks, very sucks... Blomkamp knows very well what he's doing. It must be transformed into a film. This is the only way EA/BioWare.

JohnOfMars

Fighting Lion
Oct 25, 2017
Mars
Man, that was really disappointing.

I still have no idea what the story in this game is. I've played the Closed Alpha and the Demo and they both did fuck all to explain what's going on. And that'd be fine if it was any other developer but fuckin' Bioware.

Bungie live action trailers remain the gold standard. Destiny ones are light on story and BIG on mood. But my favorite one is Halo: Reach's Deliver Hope:

Simple story, but it sells the game and the mood.

This Blomkamp trailer was just a mess.

borat

Banned
Jan 2, 2018
big fan of blomkamp but that was boring. maybe it's the universe that i find so unappealing. like, blomkamp and exosuits/mechas should be great...but it wasn't

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty cool though I was hoping or an actual short film instead of what is more of a live action trailer. Looked great and would enjoy a series or movie in this style if they could get a decent script together for Blomkamp.

On a more random note but I love the look of what I assume is the main villain.

Oct 27, 2017
It's a pretty good trailer, but feels quite disjointed; as though it's made to advertise an Anthem TV show or something. Referencing what seems like specific plot points ("I will get your son back", "You sold us out, you traitor!") that probably won't be in the game as this takes place decades beforehand seems kinda weird.

Nice trailer, good advert for Anthem. EA must have given them a massive ton of cash to make this. If the game had Oats Studios and Neil Bloomkamp in charge of the narrative I would be sold. Buuuuuuut I'll wait on reviews for Anthem.

You'd trust Neill Blomkamp being in charge of the story over the guy who wrote KotOR, Jade Empire and Mass Effect?!

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed it but I do think once he had to cut his script from 20 minutes to 3, he should have gone with a different story that could have been told in that space. It's a little weird being a trailer for a story that's not going to be expanded on.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I'd rather take a miniseries in this universe that looks like that than the game tbh. After reading how boxed in the game feels in terms of environments that Blomkamp trailer really gives a different vibe.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Its a confusing format sure, but the production values are insane.

very keen to see where it goes. But man, Neil Bloomkamp sure does love to shoot in high-contrast metal CG.

Jun 3, 2018
Yeah because one game erases 20 years of success.

I think all it takes is one bad game to do damage to a persons or company's reputation. It's harsh but we can only judge a persons artistic merit on what they currently produce. Yes, having past successes is great, but if you then produce something sub par then of course that's going to effect your reputation.

Your argument is like saying well let's ignore how terrible Indiana Jones and The Kingdom of The Crystal Skull was because the past movies were amazing. Therefore Spielberg and Lucas are as good as they were back in the 80s, is ridiculous. Times change.

The fact is given how bad the writing was in ME:A it's perfectly fair to be critical and worried about how Anthem's narrative will turn out.

And besides, KOTOR and the OG ME was years ago. It's a very different Bioware now and we should be aware of that. Treating Anthem like it's made by the Bioware of old will only lead to disappointment.

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
Man, that was really disappointing.

I still have no idea what the story in this game is. I've played the Closed Alpha and the Demo and they both did fuck all to explain what's going on. And that'd be fine if it was any other developer but fuckin' Bioware.

Bungie live action trailers remain the gold standard. Destiny ones are light on story and BIG on mood. But my favorite one is Halo: Reach's Deliver Hope:

Simple story, but it sells the game and the mood.

This Blomkamp trailer was just a mess.

My favorite from the series.